• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 II - Click the Monsters You Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How ironic, lol

Eh, it wasn't a call-out. There's nothing inherently wrong with having a defining style -- he may be abrasive at times, but I wouldn't label him a dick and he does offer positive contributions here and there (e.g. the to-the-point reviews he's posted in the past [I speak in such a tense as I haven't seen one in quite a while] and his regular appearances in the high-res screenshot thread). Despite our obvious differences, he's far from the GAFer I'd label my least-favourite (not that I "have it out" for anybody in particular, but the posting habits of certain users have left less-than-ideal first impressions).

Sendou

This is just what I always wanted! All those many "simpler" games would be perfect on a handheld. Only downside is not being Windows. Checked SteamOS games and it is quite a big selection but I hope people will manage to run Windows on it. Really great!

Linux support bound to be very good very fast now that all the major 3rd-party engines support it. UE4, CRYENGINE 3.8.1, Unity 5, Source 2 (soon), GameMaker... At least that's what I'd like to think lol.

I would really like to play some indies on it. It's only a matter of time until someone nails a piece of hardware like that. In fact I have been waiting for it to happen for some time now.

Eh, it wasn't a call-out. There's nothing inherently wrong with having a defining style -- he may be abrasive at times, but I wouldn't label him a dick and he does offer positive contributions here and there (e.g. the to-the-point reviews he's posted in the past [I speak in such a tense as I haven't seen one in quite a while] and his regular appearances in the high-res screenshot thread).
Oh, yeah. You usually don't seem to "hate" just like that anyway. Like I always say, pretty collected rather. And he is very on-topic himself as well. I just found it funny.
Despite our obvious differences, he's far from the GAFer I'd label my least-favourite.
So_you're_saying_there's_still_a_chance_(for me)?.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
he's far from the GAFer I'd label my least-favourite

hey fuck you too J, Koalas are shit anaimals and Boomerangs are stupid weapons. Who wants their projectile back, you throw it for a reason!

And Saiorse is ugly

Rest assured, you're up there. :p
laugh_crying_kristen_bell.gif

This is like sooo the perfect gif for this 😄

Finished the first chapter of Life is Strange and it was pretty cool. Lots of great details dispersed throughout the world and I was super into it. It never came through with a climactic punch to cap it off though. I think I've managed to do about as well with Chloe as possible but I'm sure that'll have some big ramifications later on. I'm not raring to continue onto the next episode like how I was with The Wolf Among Us (spoilers for the whole thing)
How couldn't I after that first episode? Shame how utterly they fucked up with that twist. Huge tease for nothing.

The story of LIS escalates in every chapter. You should definitely continue to see why pretty much everyone was blown away by the time episode 3 ended.

AHA-Lambda

Almost pulled the trigger on Scholars, but then I saw they had an upgrade option for DS2 and it was even more expensive that the game on its own because it didn't have as big a discount. Fuck supporting that kind of practice, I'll just wait for the full this to go under £10.

??

For me sotfs shows as £8

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I see even tho me and others have asked politely for people to stop using eye destroying CA avatars, people dont give 2 fucks about what you ask

This from the thread where new users are insulted for posting spider pictures because they had no clue 1 user was afraid of spiders.

Never chance steamgaf

Arthea

How about we just post lists of games, I prefer those anyway and Turf isn't here to explode.

I don't hate anybody :|
I specially don't hate redheads

It's because of LYNE, you just bought it and it's already affecting you in a calming manner, watta power!

derExperte

Excellent new avatar, Man Puncher. Next project should be a motivational video motivating people to buy more games.

I see even tho me and others have asked politely for people to stop using eye destroying CA avatars, people dont give 2 fucks about what you ask

This from the thread where new users are insulted for posting spider pictures because they had no clue 1 user was afraid of spiders.

Never chance steamgaf

LORD changed his after I asked which was nice.

titch

Damn when did things get this tense here? I remember when this thread was just about posting funny anime gifs.

Clicker game withdrawal & Daily discount withdrawl

Not to mention the bi-daily flash sales

Cold turkey for a few weeks and we will be back to out gif(yes gifnot gin) soaked cheery façade

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I played some Hitman Absolution, which I've had sitting on my hard drive for a long time.

I don't think I would find it too terrible, but it has fundamental flaws in it's structure. For example, the second level has you assassinate this guy in this crowded area and there are like a dozen ways to do it at least. It even has an achievement list that keeps track of each one you do. Um, okay, maybe spoils the creativity behind it but at least it is still open.

The main issue is that every time you reload the level, you get the story scene again while it loads, then the opening chatter for the level, then the lady telling you about the different ways to kill and a forced cut to the menu to see the list. So you have this very nice open option level made to replay many times, but everything possible to annoy the fuck out of you during the process of actually doing that. This should not be when you use the chapter select in main menu.

Even MGS with Peace Walker knew when to stay out of the way with story and tutorials you've already seen when your focus is on missions and doing things for alternative means and high scores and whatnot. And an additional issue with this game is that checkpoints are purely about your location in the level, and forget who you had taken out and who you hadn't, which is pretty dumb when your affect on others is part of your score.

So yeah, I think I could have been down for this as a cheesy action game, but the gameplay encourages creativity and doing things over and high scores (including popping up my friends scores and national/global average in the middle of playing a level when I never asked for that and specifically avoided making a profile to track it for me) and then weird format stuff completely discourages it. I have too many games to bother with one that teases me like this.

Every game needs a sense of rhythm and cycle, snappy engagement and feedback loop. It needs it second-to-second in the micro of gameplay, and objective-to-objective on the macro of player ambitions. This game totally fucks up the latter so you don't get a nice cycle, it stunts what should be a smooth engage>evaluate>engage feedback loop.

Shepard

Guys, if you've never played Ryse, give it a chance. Just finished it and it's easily one of the best things I've played this year. Amazing graphics, nice story with great characters, short (which, in this case, is a plus for me), and the batman games combat system. It's also cheap now, doooo it.

Clicker game withdrawal & Daily discount withdrawl

Not to mention the bi-daily flash sales

Cold turkey for a few weeks and we will be back to out gif(yes gifnot gin) soaked cheery façade

Didn't knew people take that monster game so serious jeez. Feels like they would be more angry at the people trolling their game than if their dog died tomorrow.

Uzzy

I played Hitman Absolution last year, and those open ended levels where you're tasked with assassinating someone and have a dozen ways to do it are fantastic. I really enjoyed those.

My main issue was that you had maybe five of those levels and fifteen linear levels where you had to stealth your way through crowds and guards, dealing with the dodgy disguise system.

Shadownet

Banned
1. NingenJenai
2. StillFreshVeggie
3. Spiklon
4. BlizzardDemons
5. Furf and fatman

Runner up: Attravellererererer and Mr.J-Techie Moneybag.

list of my favorite gaffers

I played Hitman Absolution last year, and those open ended levels where you're tasked with assassinating someone and have a dozen ways to do it are fantastic. I really enjoyed those.

My main issue was that you had maybe five of those levels and fifteen linear levels where you had to stealth your way through crowds and guards, dealing with the dodgy disguise system.

My favorite is the barber level where you literally walk 15 feet and that's it.

Parsnip

I don't know if anyone else has been following it (or cares really), but Steam Broadcasts work in Firefox nowadays. Firefox still has a whitelist setup for the Media Source Extension stuff, but it's easy to disable that if you want to watch broadcasts in Firefox.

Just search for "media.mediasource.whitelist" in about:config and toggle that to false, and you are golden. I imagine the whitelist is going to be disabled soon for everyone (or Steam will be added to it), but if you want to do that now, it's easy peasy.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Everything in it is amateur hour if you've played Deus Ex HR.

I've come to realize that it's hard for me to be objective about a sale when I have over 700 games. Sure it's grand for those who actually play their games before mass buying more.

Yeah, the guilt of my backlog has definitely prevented me from buying pretty much anything this sale other than that Developer Alliance Bundle and even then it was because I could break even or even profit off of the cards.

Or because I have a problem and can't stop no matter what :(

Shadownet

Banned
I'm not sure what you were going for, but this... sounds pretty bad.
I tried to go for something spider related but then I realized I'm too sleepy.

so I fucked up.

Speaking of spiders. I started Hand of Fate yesterday, guess what was in the settings?

An option to turn spiders on/off.

More games should have that for people like zky.

Guys, if you've never played Ryse, give it a chance. Just finished it and it's easily one of the best things I've played this year. Amazing graphics, nice story with great characters, short (which, in this case, is a plus for me), and the batman games combat system. It's also cheap now, doooo it.
But is it worth 13 dollars? I think that's still a bit much for short game like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom