• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 II - Click the Monsters You Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I'm pretty sure Valve changed the card drop algorithm yesterday. I've been idling almost non-stop since the sale started and have received (on average) about 28-30 cards overnight each night. Last night I received 11 cards.

Most of the games took around 3 hours each to drop all of their cards, so I'm guessing cards didn't drop at all in the first two hours. I'll continue to monitor the situation, but it appears that Valve is trying to prevent people from buying a game, idling the cards, then refunding the game.

I wonder what would happen if say you opened 10 (random number) games at once, let them run for 2 hours to get past the refund window then opened them one at a time. I know steam throttles cards drops hard if you try to run more than one game at a time, but I wonder if the initial 2 hours would be effected by the throttle. Might be a way to avoid repeating the 2 hour window over and over and over.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
So I'm having this tingly feeling which tells me dark souls 2 sale tonight...I promise!

Also microsoft launching both KI and GoW remaster is pretty baller.

Since i see a lot of card talk right now, i wanted to ask: why does idle master show 10 card drops remaining but no games left to get drops from? Is that due to the summer seal cards being counted or what?

So I'm having this tingly feeling which tells me dark souls 2 sale tonight...I promise!

I hope so. I'll jump in at $15 because i just want to try it out already. Been holding for a long ass time, i even have my brother's copy of DS2 on the PS3 sitting around but i dont want to play it that way.

Yep, that's it.

cool, so it isn't that i'm missing out on some more Lightning cards because steam is being a jerk. thanks!

ExoSoul

Banned
I hope everybody gets Astebreed when the deal goes up.

I'm tempted but I have a few reservations.

- How's the mapping? (for controller)
- How does it handle? (gameplay wise)
- Plot setting? Or is it more of the style "just go with it"?

Nice avatar btw :3

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

All good tbh.

It works great with controller, I finished it using a 360 controller.
It handles great, tho it had a few slowdowns on my laptop, I guess it should be better on a desktop.
There's a plot about a war against an alien race or something, it was a little nonsensical, but fun.

<3

Shade

Okay I'm pretty sure Valve changed the card drop algorithm yesterday. I've been idling almost non-stop since the sale started and have received (on average) about 28-30 cards overnight each night. Last night I received 11 cards.

Most of the games took around 3 hours each to drop all of their cards, so I'm guessing cards didn't drop at all in the first two hours. I'll continue to monitor the situation, but it appears that Valve is trying to prevent people from buying a game, idling the cards, then refunding the game.

Of course the official Idle Master group is full of people claiming that Idle Master is somehow the cause... *sigh* Sometimes it feels like you just can't win.

The longer idle times may also be due to the amount of load on Steam during the sales. Every sale after a few days I am unable to access my badge page, and idle master won't work for me; crashes or never connects (or reports no cards left to idle) because it can't connect to my badge page. When it does, it takes forever to idle cards. I remember having this issue from the last big sale as well. I don't bother to idle during the sales any more.

That being said maybe it's just anecdotal evidence, but I guess we will find out a few days after the sale ends either way.

inm8num2

Regarding card drops, the other thing Valve could do is make card drops from games bought in the store ineligible for market transactions or trading until 2 weeks have passed or 2+ hours have been played (if a person gets a refund, the cards are removed from inventory). So, you get your card drops after less time but can't sell/trade them until you have 2+ hours of playtime or have owned the game for 2 weeks (after your refund window is closed).

This way card drops from games redeemed with keys aren't unnecessarily prolonged by a couple hours. Not sure how complicated this is - setting a 1.5 hour delay on drops is probably much simpler. I understand why Valve would make this change, though.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wonder what would happen if say you opened 10 (random number) games at once, let them run for 2 hours to get past the refund window then opened them one at a time. I know steam throttles cards drops hard if you try to run more than one game at a time, but I wonder if the initial 2 hours would be effected by the throttle. Might be a way to avoid repeating the 2 hour window over and over and over.

That's a good point. I'll do some testing and see what I can come up with.

The longer idle times may also be due to the amount of load on Steam during the sales. Every sale after a few days I am unable to access my badge page, and idle master won't work for me; crashes or never connects (or reports no cards left to idle) because it can't connect to my badge page. When it does, it takes forever to idle cards. I remember having this issue from the last big sale as well. I don't bother to idle during the sales any more.

That being said maybe it's just anecdotal evidence, but I guess we will find out a few days after the sale ends either way.

The latest version of Idle Master (0.9) won't crash if it can't read your badge page, it'll simply retry every 10 seconds until it can. It's possible they tweaked this drop algorithm to help reduce server strain during the sale and it's temporary, but this is different than any other change they've done in the past few years.

zkylon

zkylewd
Regarding card drops, the other thing Valve could do is make card drops from games bought in the store ineligible for market transactions or trading until 2 weeks have passed or 2+ hours have been played (if a person gets a refund, the cards are removed from inventory). So, you get your card drops after less time but can't sell/trade them until you have 2+ hours of playtime or have owned the game for 2 weeks (after your refund window is closed).

This way card drops from games redeemed with keys aren't unnecessarily prolonged by a couple hours. Not sure how complicated this is - setting a 1.5 hour delay on drops is probably much simpler. I understand why Valve would make this change, though.
yeah that's what i said from the start, i dunno why ppl get all apocalyptic when you can just make cards only sellable when the refund times are over

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
What the hell is going on with the Lost Planet 2 sale, it's been going on and off sale seemingly at random.

The sale was listed on sunday as running through the 22nd for 60% off on lost planet 2. But since sunday night it has been sitting at full price.

I managed to snag it but it's hard to convince anyone to buy it at full price and I wanna play co-op!!!

Sorry if this has been answered but is Killer Instinct and Gears 1 Again Edition locked into the Windows 10 store or have they not announced the platforms for it?

Shade

The latest version of Idle Master (0.9) won't crash if it can't read your badge page, it'll simply retry every 10 seconds until it can. It's possible they tweaked this drop algorithm to help reduce server strain during the sale and it's temporary, but this is different than any other change they've done in the past few years.

I guess on that note, now is a good time as any to say thank you for adding that retry every 10 seconds. Was driving me crazy for awhile till eventually I just assumed it was crashing due to not being able to reach the badge page. It's much nicer to see it trying to reach my badge page all day then relaunching it all the time.

Your assumption is also probably correct. Valve was most likely going to change something to address the issue, and that would be a quick and dirty fix.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I guess on that note, now is a good time as any to say thank you for adding that retry every 10 seconds. Was driving me crazy for awhile till eventually I just assumed it was crashing due to not being able to reach the badge page. It's much nicer to see it trying to reach my badge page all day then relaunching it all the time.

No problem. Sometimes it's tough working on stuff like this "from the outside" because unless I'm able to experience an error like this myself it's difficult to troubleshoot. The sale starting and their servers getting overloaded was a good way for me to test stuff like this. Adding in "available card drops" in the monster game also gave me another way to test an error condition and correct it.

Anyway, another things that irks me about this change is that it's global. If you activate a key for a game from another site, you're not eligible for a refund. But you've still got to wait about 2 hours for cards to start dropping nonetheless. Seems like Valve has once again taken the nuclear option to fixing something.

inm8num2

yeah that's what i said from the start, i dunno why ppl get all apocalyptic when you can just make cards only sellable when the refund times are over

I guess it just came down to ease of implementation, adding the delay timer vs. having to tinker with marketability of cards and whatnot.

Perhaps after the sale Valve will hear out the feedback and make the adjustments.

Lain

So, I've been playing Clicker Heroes on and off because clicking can be fun in moderation and I'll say that achievements that give you in-game upgrades are a pretty nice thing.
I'm still trying to figure out if and when to spend soul on summoning ancients though.

fallout

Anyway, another things that irks me about this change is that it's global. If you activate a key for a game from another site, you're not eligible for a refund. But you've still got to wait about 2 hours for cards to start dropping nonetheless. Seems like Valve has once again taken the nuclear option to fixing something.
To be fair, this is a somewhat common approach at enterprise scales. It reduces the risk of the change significantly negatively impacting something and it doesn't seem like a case where a lot of people will really be affected by it.

jshackles

To be fair, this is a somewhat common approach at enterprise scales. It reduces the risk of the change significantly negatively impacting something and it doesn't seem like a case where a lot of people will really be affected by it.

Fair enough. The solution that makes the most sense or is the most fair to everyone isn't always the right course of action, especially when you're dealing with millions of users.

I've been doing some testing with these new rules - getting games that have less than 2 hours of playtime but also have remaining card drops and attempting to idle those games all at once until they reach 2 hours then idling them in sequence. The results aren't promising - it appears that rather than having the requirement be "2 hours of playtime on your account for that game" it's really just 2-ish hours of "eligible idle time" until the cards start dropping. So idling multiple games at once just to reach the 2 hour mark is likely still just as ineffective as it used to be idling multiple games at once to get card drops faster.

I'm actually pleased with this sale so far. There seems to be a wider array of games on sale, which is nice to see.

I don't think I've picked anything MAJOR up, just a bunch of indies and cheap stuff. It's just nice to see some non-AAA games get featured.

Grief.exe

My real worry is Microsoft is going to lock their indie-published games to the Microsoft store. Gigantic is already coming to their new DRM, I'd imagine they have more lined up as well.

garath

I'm actually pleased with this sale so far. There seems to be a wider array of games on sale, which is nice to see.

I don't think I've picked anything MAJOR up, just a bunch of indies and cheap stuff. It's just nice to see some non-AAA games get featured.

I'm in agreement. I haven't picked up much myself - mostly because I already own much of what I'd want - but it's nice to see such a variety of titles.

The discounts don't seem quite as deep this time around as well. But I think that's been a trend over the years.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Yeah, definitely one of the best sales in the last few years already.

I especially like that there isn't community voting because democracy just doesn't work.

Nabs

My real worry is Microsoft is going to lock their indie-published games to the Microsoft store. Gigantic is already coming to their new DRM, I'd imagine they have more lined up as well.

I suspect it's already happening. #IDARB was supposed to come to Steam, but now it's looking like a Windows 10 launch title. They are also advertising cross-platform multiplayer. I think that's a quick way to kill indie games on PC.

I'm just thankful we got Ori before the release of Windows 10.

Knurek

Microsoft and EA, you mean?
Unravel looks nice, but not Origin nice. :(
Sale results will, hopefully, turn some heads at indie studios. Remember Skulls of the Shogun launching exclusively won Win8 store and how well that worked out for the devs?

Grief.exe

I suspect it's already happening. #IDARB was supposed to come to Steam, but now it's looking like a Windows 10 launch title. They are also advertising cross-platform multiplayer. I think that's a quick way to kill indie games on PC.

I'm just thankful we got Ori before the release of Windows 10.

Yes, thankfully.

It could be a situation like Skulls of the Shogun or Spartan Assault. Where Microsoft tries to push their store with an exclusive, then eventually transitions to Steam.

Let's be honest, there is no way that the Windows store will have the long tail sales that Steam titles are capable of. Right now, there are tens of millions of people combing the front page of Steam every day for sales. I doubt Microsoft will see even a percentage of that traffic on their store.

Gears of War has the market power, but I imagine Gigantic will be DOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom