• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 II - Click the Monsters You Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

dot

Okay, i did 5 matches total and it was a lot smoother.

All these Tina players tho. 5 straight losses... :(

I should go back to tutorial since i'm rusty.

Ozium

Ugh. Fine.

Edit: Holy shit the guy is a douche.
After "everything is super-dark, making it hard to see", now "everything is exploding all the time, making it hard to see."

Why do you hate me, Ozium?

you were gonna get to him sooner or later...

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Okay, i did 5 matches total and it was a lot smoother.

All these Tina players tho. 5 straight losses... :(

I should go back to tutorial since i'm rusty.

Tina players are mostly grapplers. You should keep your distance and play as safe as you can.

Jawmuncher

Ugh. Fine.

Edit: Holy shit the guy is a douche.
After "everything is super-dark, making it hard to see", now "everything is exploding all the time, making it hard to see."

Why do you hate me, Ozium?

I told you do Jake then Chris keep swapping them every chapter

Going through the last few pages

zkylon
Atraveller
Sch1sm
Nabs

all banned as well

Such a terrible day, not only are we not getting any new members, but we are loosing them...

vPD5S87.gif

Deitus

Everyone got banned? Man, that sucks. I hope it's not for too long.

This thread is going to be a lot quieter for a while.

Eh, what?
What happened?

Someone in another thread was insulting people who were complaining about the Batman port, and someone in this thread joked that they worked for WB. Then someone tried to go Detective GAF, and found a WB employee with the same name that was listed in that posters profile (but was in actuality probably not the same person), and posted their LinkedIn profile. Looks like everyone who quoted that post got banned.

Straying outside the Steam thread is generally a bad idea.

But the bans were for posts in the Steam thread.

Someone in another thread was insulting people who were complaining about the Batman port, and someone in this thread joked that they worked for WB. Then someone tried to go Detective GAF, and found a WB employee with the same name that was listed in that posters profile (but was in actuality probably not the same person), and posted their LinkedIn profile. Looks like everyone who quoted that post got banned.

Wow, that's a mess.

Lain

I don't know that he actually lost the tag because of the ban, it just seemed like an obvious joke to make. :p

Totally. No idea why he lost the tag, maybe just a side effect of the manual reinstating, but it felt like a good time to go for a FMA joke.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Let's say that hypothetically someone is angry about something and digs up someone's personal information to direct the anger to them. And then they post it publicly online (even though they know doing so is against the rules). And then it gets linked to a bunch of different places. And then that person starts getting contacted with hate mail.

... and let's say it was a case of mistaken identity (which it is 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999% when we're dealing with the INTERNET ANGER MACHINE), so the person breaking the rules also resulted in an innocent person getting in a bunch of shit, noting that even if it wasn't mistaken identity, this still would not be OK.

Now let's hypothetically say that dozens of other people, almost certainly knowing the first guy broke the rules, decide to repeat his post so they could post a stupid reaction GIF about popcorn or AYYY LMAO or whatever. They are, unsurprisingly, also breaking the rules and perpetuating the problem. A lot of the people banned are not bad people or generally bad posters, but they made a bad situation worse and for no reason.

It's not "straying outside the Steam thread", it's not like we ban a lot of people. Today in gaming, besides this clusterfuck, we banned fewer than 10 people, and the most common ban reason today for those people was ban evasion. A good way to not get banned for ban evasion is to not evade your bans. You don't need to live in fear. Just don't be a jerk, and don't participate when someone else is a jerk.

Also it makes it very hard for me to participate in this thread when I feel like I'm a parent eavesdropping on my kids' birthday party, even worse when all the kids are just gossiping about the parents.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It just dawned on me that Ubisoft's indie push is most likely dead with no E3 announcements. That's a shame :/

Lain

Let's say that hypothetically someone is angry about something and digs up someone's personal information to direct the anger to them. And then they post it publicly online (even though they know doing so is against the rules). And then it gets linked to a bunch of different places. And then that person starts getting contacted with hate mail.

... and let's say it was a case of mistaken identity (which it is 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999% when we're dealing with the INTERNET ANGER MACHINE), so the person breaking the rules also resulted in an innocent person getting in a bunch of shit, noting that even if it wasn't mistaken identity, this still would not be OK.

Now let's hypothetically say that dozens of other people, almost certainly knowing the first guy broke the rules, decide to repeat his post so they could post a stupid reaction GIF about popcorn or AYYY LMAO or whatever. They are, unsurprisingly, also breaking the rules and perpetuating the problem. A lot of the people banned are not bad people or generally bad posters, but they made a bad situation worse and for no reason.

It's not "straying outside the Steam thread", it's not like we ban a lot of people. Today in gaming, besides this clusterfuck, we banned fewer than 10 people, and the most common ban reason today for those people was ban evasion. A good way to not get banned for ban evasion is to not evade your bans. You don't need to live in fear. Just don't be a jerk, and don't participate when someone else is a jerk.

Also it makes it very hard for me to participate in this thread when I feel like I'm a parent eavesdropping on my kids' birthday party, even worse when all the kids are just gossiping about the parents.

Understandable, especially the last part.
Though, if I may ask, what's ban evasion? Something like having other people post for you when you're banned?

A friend and I spent all of yesterday laughing at the Batman release issues. Then he gifted me the game. So I guess I'm along for the ride now too.

Also, this is probably a minor thing in the whole clusterfuck but... all retail copies of Batman sold in my country have non working CD keys. So now the distributor has to contact Warner who will then contact Valve to make it right somehow. Fun times for all. (They stopped selling retail copies well before WB announced they'd stop selling the game altogether).

Understandable, especially the last part.
Though, if I may ask, what's ban evasion? Something like having other people post for you when you're banned?

I'd imagine one example is passive aggressive posts that insult people without explicitly insulting them and thus avoiding the ban?

Knurek

At least you do get to have sex with mum.
All we get here is cake.

Milamber

Ban evasion?

I just imagined a bunch of mode coming to your house to manually ban you but you're running away with your laptop tucked under your arm.

Salsa

AYYY LMAO

im just gonna use this quote out of context from now on

where's the piñata daddddd

I actually recognized the internet stalky thing being sorta scummy from the get go and purposefully didnt participate

I actually mindfully avoided a ban. I did it

baterism

The moment I saw linkedin comment, I know something bad is going to happen. I remember MGSV doctor shenanigan, even just posting a telephone no which listed publicly can lead to ban and thread closed. It seems GAF is really strict relating to IRL info.

Anyway, sup GAF? Any interesting stuffs?
When is Winter Sale?

dex3108

At least we now know that ModBot is still under control and it is not went rogue :D

Salsa

it also immediatly made me realize that I posted a bunch of Arkham Knight videos of my performance here under my G+ account = real name

but eh

Deitus

The moment I saw linkedin comment, I know something bad is going to happen. I remember MGSV doctor shenanigan, even just posting a telephone no which listed publicly can lead to ban and thread closed. It seems GAF is really strict relating to IRL info.

GAF is really strict about posting information that could lead to people being harassed (which it invariably does).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom