• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 II - Click the Monsters You Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

wow so when you move a game from one hd to another and have Steam try to download it, even though it says it's discovering existing files so it doesn't have to download 40 gigs of bioshock infinite again... it actually just wipes that folder and redownloads it

even though it used to work

nice

Oh so they did they change? Then again last time I did this it was finicky, some titles were fine while others did download.

I got to say I really like the telltale games comic book style art, people give the engine a lot of shit but I think their games look really look good on pc, probably a shit engine on consoles and may have had some save deleting problems but they've at least been running pretty smooth for me.
For a engine that goes across so many platforms it gets the job done. I think they just need better ports or something on consoles. Some of the perform you get on the newer systems is a bit odd. But that doesn't really apply to us here.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I did the same thing I did the last time I tried it and it worked fine. What else did I need?

Moving the installation folder and only the installation folder generally still works, but it's best to also include the corresponding appmanifest_xxx.acf file (where "xxx" is the app id of the game) in the root of the SteamApps folder as, basically, it's the file that tells Steam the game is installed.

I got to say I really like the telltale games comic book style art, people give the engine a lot of shit but I think their games look really good on pc, probably a shit engine on consoles and may have had some save deleting problems but they've at least been running pretty smooth for me.

I think TWAU is absolutely beautiful. The colours capture the comic book style perfectly.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Though, if I may ask, what's ban evasion?

m80QZ3z.gif

Started up TF2 for the first time last night and immediately got a bunch of items that I sold for $2.50 total.

Based Gaben, thank you for blessed wallet money

JaseC

I believe it is having a secondary GAF account, which reslults in a perma.

Not always -- if the user has made a conscious effort to be a better poster, then they're generally given a second chance. I lost my original account in the infamous Epic Mickey announcement thread (I was a junior at the time) and yet I'm still here. ;)

Dr Dogg

I traded with a friend a copy of AK giving to him DMC4SE I grabbed from GMG thanks to credit.
Now I hope they will fix the game.

I've put in about 12 hours and have about 24% of the main plot done and not had a single bug or crash yet. Granted performance is a bit choppy in the Batmobile but it's not even close to the quality some are describing it and even more hilarious that some have the gull to call it the 'worse port ever!'. It's lacking sure and definately needed more time in the oven and the missing effects work and lack of true scalability bar resolution reduction is very disappointed but it's hardly a "broken" game like some are calling it. But hey when you've outsourced a version of a game that has been delayed publicly twice and work from the main studio was being done right up until the 11th hour the porting team are alway behind their schedule and was a recipe for disaster. Look at how most multiplat releases schedule their releases when an external PC port is being produced, the PC version is usually a couple of weeks later. AC Syndicate doesn't even have a release date of PC so hopefully when Ubi Kiev get their mits on the game they get enough time to get a polished product out the door.

Cade

Moving the installation folder and only the installation folder generally still works, but it's best to also include the corresponding appmanifest_xxx.acf file (where "xxx" is the app id of the game) in the root of the SteamApps folder as, basically, it's the file that tells Steam the game is installed.

Hmm, alright. Thanks. I'll do that in the future.

Hektor

Just imagine this game getting pulled from steam, never getting fixed and never coming back. The trade value of a giftcopy would be insane.

Jawmuncher

Just imagine this game getting pulled from steam, never getting fixed and never coming back. The trade value of a giftcopy would be insane.
That would be quite something. Or if the fixed version is somehow a new app. Meaning it's Batman Arkham Asylum vs Arkham Asylum GOTY all over again.

Dr Dogg

I suddenly feel that my retail copy of it will be very rare, even if functionally useless XD

Seeing as ShopTo and GAME both cancelled all their physical copies and only places like Amazon and smaller stores that used wholesalers got them they were always going to be a silly collectors item. I'm sure I'll have it kicking around collecting dust for years to come even if Justed used the code in the box.

Shadownet

Banned
Not always -- if the user has made a conscious effort to be a better poster, then they're generally given a second chance. I lost my original account in the infamous Epic Mickey announcement thread (I was a junior at the time) and yet I'm still here. ;)
Tell me more about this incident.. ;)

derExperte

Finally playing more Garden Warfare, the game is good but the matchmaking.... so many unbalanced teams. And why is it that I, after less than 5hrs hours, are a better player that the other level 100 guys on my teams and I end up in the top 3 of the leaderboard all the time?

What on earth is ban evasion?

It's when you use a CA'd avatar so the mods get a headache, can't see straight and can't hit the ban button.

:eek: But please change it back, almost everyone else has by now.

Tizoc

I've put in about 12 hours and have about 24% of the main plot done and not had a single bug or crash yet. Granted performance is a bit choppy in the Batmobile but it's not even close to the quality some are describing it and even more hilarious that some have the gull to call it the 'worse port ever!'. It's lacking sure and definately needed more time in the oven and the missing effects work and lack of true scalability bar resolution reduction is very disappointed but it's hardly a "broken" game like some are calling it. But hey when you've outsourced a version of a game that has been delayed publicly twice and work from the main studio was being done right up until the 11th hour the porting team are alway behind their schedule and was a recipe for disaster. Look at how most multiplat releases schedule their releases when an external PC port is being produced, the PC version is usually a couple of weeks later. AC Syndicate doesn't even have a release date of PC so hopefully when Ubi Kiev get their mits on the game they get enough time to get a polished product out the door.

No offense Dogg, but if you managed to play a weak port with no issues, then that's fine, I get that, but seeing as you had pre-ordered AssCreed Syndicate even after the AssCreed Unity debacle...your post comes off a little bit as Stockholm syndrome :p

JaseC

Them once it came out no one actually cared. People were more hyped of the promise than what it actually was.

It was the concept art that people got excited about since it suggested a somewhat dark steampunk-themed game, which wasn't at all what it turned out to be. There was less enthusiasm surrounding the actual reveal and what amount there was boiled down to, "I still trust Spector to create something awesome."

Shadownet

Banned
Shame I missed all the Arkham fun. Was trying to download all my desura games, before they go offline for good
There isn't anything fun about this. More like depression and anger to the point of delirious.
No offense Dogg, but if you managed to play a weak port with no issues, then that's fine, I get that, but seeing as you had pre-ordered AssCreed Syndicate even after the AssCreed Unity debacle...your post comes off a little bit as Stockholm syndrome :p
I gotta agree with him, I still thought it's crazy that you went out and pre-order Syndicate right away.. Like preordering games is bad enough as it is. You picked the worst company and franchise to do it with.

If you have pre-ordered like Fallout 4 or something I would have been like yeah. I understand. We all waited for that for a while now.

Sorry Jase, it's AssCreed. It's like the Call of Duty of action adventure game now.

Lain

We all have our little (or not so little, in some people's cases) guilty pleasures for which we'll spend a lot of money in advance despite past disappointments. Be it people preordering Shenmue 3, or Yakuza, or AssCreed or Toukiden Kiwami, we all want to believe.

Dr Dogg

Hahaha because Unity was pretty much from the time I played it fine. Most of the shit storm created about that was from an unpatched build and terrible console performance but most of the issue I seem folks complain about were quite a bit overblown. I get that people have expectations as to how a game should run for them and if a game doesn't meet them they are unhappy but the extremes people go to when discussing things on the Internet are just fucking crazy. Something is either the best port ever or a complete bag of bollocks that should never see the light of day but never anything inbetween. SourceNext's Capcom ports of RE4, DMC3 and Onimusia 3 are all worse than Arkham Knight in a technical, performance and feature standpoint and stuff like Unearthed are way, way worse than Arkham Knight.

So, they pulled the game from the store while pretty much the world world it's arguing because this is probably one of the worst port ever released, but the situation is not so bad because you can play it decently? Lol.
The game is broken. And that's it, otherwise WB wouldn't removed the purchase option for it.
Also regarding "another day in PunishedSnake land", I wrote I misreaded a thread on Steam community hub, so I thought the purchase option removal was also a removal of the game itself from Steam, resulting in an invalid key entry. No need to write things like "PunishedSnake's land", honestly.

Hey I'm not going to theorise why WB wanted to remove the game from sale but the bad press is mounting up and really this could be one way to put the brakes on that. And the world is not a bunch of folks with their knickers in a twist that number a couple of thousand. Why is it such a bad port? What research have you done to come to that conclusion? What testing and comparisons have you done that you can factually state this is a worse port than say Protype 1? Also define broken? Your parroting other people at this point with no basis of your own to justify the claims of the quality of this port. Don't get me wrong it's got issues, some really that should have been addressed before being released and I'm far from happy with it but it's no where near as bad as some people are making out. Don't worry another release will come out by the end of the year that won't live up to expectations and that will be also labled the worst port ever as well for what ever silly reasons.

Milamber

Hahaha because Unity was pretty much from the time I played it fine. Most of the shit storm created about that was from an unmatched build and terrible console performance but most of the issue I seem folks complain about were quite a bit overblown. I get that people have expectations as to how a game should run for them and if a game doesn't meet them they are unhappy but the extremes people go to when discussing things on the Internet are just fucking crazy. Something is either the best port ever or a complete bag of bollocks that should never see the light of day but never anything inbetween. Source next' Capcom ports of RE4, DMC3 and Onimusia 3 are worse than Arkham Knight in a technical, performance and feature standpoint and stuff like Unearthed are way, way worse than Arkham Knight.

Hey I'm not going to theorise why WB wanted to remove the game from sale but the bad press is mounting up and really this could be one way to put the brakes on that. And the world is not a bunch of folks with their knickers in a twist that number a couple of thousand. Why is it such a bad port? What research have you done to come to that conclusion? What testing and comparisons have you done that you can factually state this is a worse port than say Protype 1? Also define broken? Your parroting other people at this point with no basis of your own to justify the claims of the quality of this port. Don't get me wrong it's got issues, some really that should have been addressed before being released and I'm far from happy with it but it's no where near as bad as some people are making out. Don't worry another release will come out by the end of the year that won't live up to expectations and that will be also labled the worst port ever as well for what ever silly reasons.

Maybe... just maybe... you happen to have that magical combination of components and drivers that every QC tester in both game companies use that doesn't see these issues.

Jawmuncher

I have 4 notifications on steam. 4 notifications I can't see since mobile still has issues accessing it. Ugh only a week left.

Also can't change my avatar through web or the app. What a pity.

I didn't know DMC4 was so much loved. I played it years ago and I didn't like the "beat half the game with nero, now beat it again in reverse order with dante" thing. This special edition is the same but with 3 new characters right?

Dr Dogg

I think by seeing the troubles almost all people have with that game. Be it people with high end GPUs to normal GPUs. It seems everyone experiences unexplainable framedrops.

Then that's pretty poor research to be making the claims on port quality. I bet some with through the unoptomised tag around before even trying to assess performance let alone have access to the devs toolchain or software profiler to know the real performance cost of such effects and if there are any issues.

Maybe... just maybe... you happen to have that magical combination of components and drivers that every QC tester in both game companies use that doesn't see these issues.

Not really I see issue, pleanty of them and have mentioned them in this thread but I've played much worse performing games and certainly much worse UE3 games. Take The Bureau with it's DX11 renderer that has serious issues with Screen Space Reflections, trouble with parallel processing PhysX effects that half your framerate and various issues with effect not stable that are all fine and pressent in the DX9 render path. That is much worse than what I've experience with Arkham Knight. Take something like Dead Rising 3 where the engine chokes up well before you reach full CPU or GPU utilisation and has hideous streaming issues regardless of system resources, that's also worse than Akham Knight. These are just example off the top of my head that says to me AK is far from the worst port ever.

Jawmuncher

I didn't know DMC4 was so much loved. I played it years ago and I didn't like the "beat half the game with nero, now beat it again in reverse order with dante" thing. This special edition is the same but with 3 new characters right?

It's loved in the gameplay department. It gets a lot of shit still for what you just mentioned. Which it rightfully deserves. From what I am told SE consists of

Nero/Dante Campaign just like it was in DMC4
Trish/Lady Campaign same levels but has opening and ending cutscene. Not canon
Vergil who while same levels is canon to DMC and has cutscenes as well.

So sadly you get stuck with the same locations but you do get a tad more meat than just new characters. There's some features I forgot to mention which are mentioned on the store page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom