• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 II - Click the Monsters You Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why there is an AK PC defense force. I just wish we knew what the hell went wrong. Did Rocksteady give Iron Galaxy the wrong build? Did Iron Galaxy get the build too close to launch to get it in shape? Did WB know that the game wasn't right yet still launched it with the hopes that no one would notice?

Something clearly went wrong here and it isn't as simple as IRON GALAXY ARE FUCKTARDS or ROCKSTEADY DOESNT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT PC GAMING. There had to have been major communication issues from all parties involved.

Jeff Gerstmann, Giant Bomb EIC and friends with IG's CEO Dave Lang, said something to the effect that IG's involvement with the port was not significant enough for these issues to be solely directed at them. So until we know more, it sure seems like there's a decent amount of blame to go around.

Sadly, I don't know if we'll ever know what the hell happened.

I know that feeling.
Back in DA Inquisition days, people were bashing the game all day long while I was enjoying the 100+ hours out of it. I learned my lesson, people have different tastes.

brofist

dex3108

well damn. did they ever explain why they stuck with a modified U3?

All their tech is for UE3 and they are familiar with that engine. They started working on AK soon after AC and i think that UE4 wasn't ready for them to jump on it. And when UE4 was ready it would require too much time and work to adapt all their tech to UE4 so they pushed UE3 to the limits. What they did with it is really impressive and they even integrated huge amount of destructible assets. From building corners to fences and many other things everything is destructible.

Tektonic

Does Arkham Knight having the title of worst port ever or not actually diminish the fact it has been pulled from sale? Regardless how many end users can run it fine, it seems (even anecdotally) that most can't run it with performance even close to a PS4. Let alone attempt to run it, as a pc user should, at higher quality settings.

So don't quibble over semantics, and it works for me, and going around in circles. Admit it's a disappointment for most...

I don't know why there is an AK PC defense force. I just wish we knew what the hell went wrong. Did Rocksteady give Iron Galaxy the wrong build? Did Iron Galaxy get the build too close to launch to get it in shape? Did WB know that the game wasn't right yet still launched it with the hopes that no one would notice?

Something clearly went wrong here and it isn't as simple as IRON GALAXY ARE FUCKTARDS or ROCKSTEADY DOESNT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT PC GAMING. There had to have been major communication issues from all parties involved.

Jeff Gerstmann, Giant Bomb EIC and friends with IG's CEO Dave Lang, said something to the effect that IG's involvement with the port was not significant enough for these issues to be solely directed at them. So until we know more, it sure seems like there's a decent amount of blame to go around.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was another "Origins" situation, where a port was pushed out the door to meet a deadline (with crippling bugs), and the porting/dev team were just going to move on and focus on the DLC instead. I have a feeling that if it wasn't for Steam refunds, this all would have been ignored/marginalized.

This is just as much WB's fault as anyone else's. Someone approved that build of the game to go out, and everything we saw over the last week (the system requirements, misleading videos, etc.) leads me to believe that they knew it was bad but weren't going to bother because it would be a moneymaker either way.

All their tech is for UE3 and they are familiar with that engine. They started working on AK soon after AC and i think that UE4 wasn't ready for them to jump on it. And when UE4 was ready it would require too much time and work to adapt all their tech to UE4 so they pushed UE3 to the limits. What they did with it is really impressive and they even integrated huge amount of destructible assets. From building corners to fences and many other things everything is destructible.

WB had a contract to work with UE3 till end 2014, their games aka MKX and AK were in very advanced states and shifting to UE4 would create some delay, so they sticked to UE3.

It's also probably due to the fact that a lot of tech is shared among WB studios, especially between Netherrealms and Rocksteady. So it makes sense to have everyone on the same page engine-wise to reduce any production issues

Checked my account in hopes Steam-Support removed Borderlands - they still didn't and haven't answered :mad:

Anyway, I see this new entry. What is this?

Y12TfmK.png

I own Steam now?

BigAT

Does Arkham Knight having the title of worst port ever or not actually diminish the fact it has been pulled from sale? Regardless how many end users can run it fine, it seems (even anecdotally) that most can't run it with performance even close to a PS4. Let alone attempt to run it, as a pc user should, at higher quality settings.

So don't quibble over semantics, and it works for me, and going around in circles. Admit it's a disappointment for most...

Not defending the shitty job they did on AK in the least, but is it even the worst PC port launch in the last six months? At least it runs for some people, even if it's poorly, wasn't Mortal Kombat X on PC literally unlaunchable when it came out?

I wouldn't be surprised if this was another "Origins" situation, where a port was pushed out the door to meet a deadline (with crippling bugs), and the porting/dev team were just going to move on and focus on the DLC instead. I have a feeling that if it wasn't for Steam refunds, this all would have been ignored/marginalized.

This is just as much WB's fault as anyone else's. Someone approved that build of the game to go out, and everything we saw over the last week (the system requirements, misleading videos, etc.) leads me to believe that they knew it was bad but weren't going to bother because it would be a moneymaker either way.

Origins had 'gamebreaking' bugs for sure, but at least the game ran. AK just seems to be really optimized.

Then again, I'm on AMD...so fuck me, right?

Guessing I'm stuck with it on Nuuvem then. Oh well, probably wouldn't refund anyway....dat +1

Then again, I'm on AMD...so fuck me, right?

I won't lie about your chances, but... yeah, you're fucked. Best we can hope for is a different port from the ground up, but something tells me they'll spend two or three weeks on it, patch the most obvious performance issues and call it a day.

I always tell people not to preorder, but they never listen. Anything I want usually comes down to a much more reasonable price point within a year, and I often don't have to deal with poor launches.

Bought Baldur's Gate EE for $5 on iOS because I didn't want to use a KB&M to play the game. Never played it before.

I feel like i did something incredibly wrong.

Kiru

Checked my account in hopes Steam-Support removed Borderlands - they still didn't and haven't answered :mad:

Anyway, I see this new entry. What is this?

Y12TfmK.png

I own Steam now?

Steam Support removed the cut version of L4D2 on my account in like 30 minutes max. I was really lucky that day, never seen them respond so fast.

Bought Baldur's Gate EE for $5 on iOS because I didn't want to use a KB&M to play the game. Never played it before.

I feel like i did something incredibly wrong.

Baldur's Gate II is the better of the two, but I is still solid. As far as the EE's go, I haven't played them yet, and I don't see the content being offered as significant enough to warrant double-dipping again from GOG.

Steam Support removed the cut version of L4D2 on my account in like 30 minutes max. I was really lucky that day, never seen them respond so fast.
You make me jelly :S

I added a reply with a much shorter request to remove the game. Not sure but I hope this "bumps" my request.

Phinor

Seriously do you folks only deal on a tolerance of great or shit and nothing inbetween? Urgh you know what fuck it, have fun GAF...

That's Internet for you. Everyone realizes AK isn't in a state that satisfies most buyers but because it's not great, it can only be shit and we need to dig out every little detail about how broken it is. Whether those details are true or not doesn't matter, people only react to all the negativity and care little about whether there's any truth to it. Just last night (local time) there was a post about the 60fps Nvidia video being sped up and again that was linked everywhere. The fact that in all likelihood it wasn't true at all didn't matter. Same deal with those screenshots about missing textures and trees etc. It's only important to report something/anything negative first and quick because afterwards (almost) no one cares if it was actually true or not.

So WB pulled the game from Steam and other places, good for them but even that is seen as a negative and the hate train keeps on moving. That's the world we live in now. Ten-twenty years ago a broken game would be just that, a broken game that needed fixing, nothing more. These days everything is personal and hostility towards companies (and each other) is an every day occurrence. Snowball effect hardly describes how quickly things escalate out of control today.

Or maybe I'm just a broken AAA-defender. Maybe AK really did kill people's pets and only left mine alive so I wouldn't hate it so much. On that note, not a day goes by that doesn't remind me of Conan O'Brien talking about cynicism at the end of his Tonight Show run.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
WinGameStore has Geometry Wars 3 on sale for $3.74.

I've ordered some bundles from them in the past and they appear to be legit. This is the lowest price this game has been, and it's a pretty great game. Comes with a Steam key.

WinGameStore has Geometry Wars 3 on sale for $3.74.

I've ordered some bundles from them in the past and they appear to be legit. This is the lowest price this game has been, and it's a pretty great game.

they are legit. I bought it from them yesterday, played a round of Retro Evolved, and after getting that old high back I left feeling satisfied.

they also have Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered for $2.50 for those who missed out on the nuuvem deal.

chronomac

So WB pulled the game from Steam and other places, good for them but even that is seen as a negative and the hate train keeps on moving. That's the world we live in now. Ten-twenty years ago a broken game would be just that, a broken game that needed fixing, nothing more. These days everything is personal and hostility towards companies (and each other) is an every day occurrence. Snowball effect hardly describes how quickly things escalate out of control today.

Or maybe I'm just a broken AAA-defender. Maybe AK really did kill people's pets and only left mine alive so I wouldn't hate it so much. On that note, not a day goes by that doesn't remind me of Conan O'Brien talking about cynicism at the end of his Tonight Show run.

No, I'm with you. You're using what we like to call nuance. A lot of people here on GAF, and even in this thread, operate on a binary level so something's either the worst thing ever or it's the best. In many cases we'll be talking about a developer and people just make grand, sweeping generalizations about them without considering the evidence. When GTA V was about to hit Steam many thought it'd be shit because "Rockstar gonna Rockstar" or whatever, even when presented with the evidence that Max Payne 3 was a great PC port. They ignored that and focused on GTA IV and, of course, were proven wrong. It's a 1 or 0 world here sometimes.

So WB pulled the game from Steam and other places, good for them but even that is seen as a negative and the hate train keeps on moving. That's the world we live in now. Ten-twenty years ago a broken game would be just that, a broken game that needed fixing, nothing more.

Thats not true. I remember the outcry when Gothic 3 was released. Or Sacred 1.

It's only important to report something/anything negative first and quick because afterwards (almost) no one cares if it was actually true or not.

Thats also not true. The game runs like shit on a lot of systems. Just check the thread. People there have highend system and it stutters. For me it runs like shit on a 280x, while I can easily play Witcher 3 on high settings in 1080p.

A lot of people here on GAF, and even in this thread, operate on a binary level so something's either the worst thing ever or it's the best.

I dont think anyone called it the worst port ever in this thread. It is worse than Dark Souls though which actually ran fine on normal systems. This game doesnt even run well on high-end systems.

Parsnip

Not really, try reading what it says. WBQA is obvious as is Full Patch and I assume RC stands for release candidate and then 06_20_2015 is the date of submission to QA. As I said about 3 times yesterday the branches for Arkahm Knight are littlered with about 70+ such submissions to WB's QA Department over the last 11 months. Look at the build numbers if you want to see what really is happening and if there is any movement.

It is interesting in that it seems like they cloned the RC4.2 (based on that 06_20_2015 date), and made that the next RC, RC4.4. Maybe suggesting that they found a version where rain shaders and whatever actually worked.

A lot of people here on GAF, and even in this thread, operate on a binary level so something's either the worst thing ever or it's the best. In many cases we'll be talking about a developer and people just making grand, sweeping generalizations about them without considering the evidence.

That's the patented GAF echo chamber for you.

Normally, I'd just say "it is what it is", but considering some of the wild accusations that were flying about the other night (like the user mistaken for an IG employee and the misconception that IG was only working on it for eight weeks), I've steered clear of the mix. That's a slippery slope I don't want to go down.

That's the patented GAF echo chamber for you.

Normally, I'd just say "it is what it is", but considering some of the wild accusations that were flying about the other night (like the user mistaken for an IG employee and the misconception that IG was only working on it for eight weeks), I've steered clear of the mix. That's a slippery slope I don't want to go down.

Even that doesnt change the "fact" if I might call it like that that the game runs shit on a lot of systems. I mean there is a reason why it got so many negative reviews on Steam and a lot of people write that they cant run it well.

I dont see why people would deny that just because somehow their system can run it well.

When Sacred 1 came out littered with game breaking bugs, crashes etc. I could play it well. Other people had a lot of problems though. Just because it runs well on my system doesnt mean it runs well on others.

Honestly I think WB have fucked up but they are making all the right decisions in light of the situation. I'm just a bit gutted that my most anticipated game this year had to be the one that was fucked from day one. I even finished the game even with the terrible frame drops and I hope they can fix it soon so I can play a lot more of it.

I mean if you're going to have a messed up launch, at least do it with the grace and dignity of CDPR and send a clear message to fans and the media that you're working the midnight oil and getting patches out as fast and furiously as you can. But it just seems like the issues with AK are at such levels that it's going to take some more dev time to get it just to match the console versions feature for feature.

Just communicate with the fanbase, they want to know that you're listening and reacting.

Honestly I think WB have fucked up but they are making all the right decisions in light of the situation. I'm just a bit gutted that my most anticipated game this year had to be the one that was fucked from day one. I even finished the game even with the terrible frame drops and I hope they can fix it soon so I can play a lot more of it.

I wish i had time like that. I really don't have the time to do 100% runs let alone trying to go back and play a game again at a later date. So for me, I'm stuck playing other things while I wait for AK to get into decent shape

I dont see why people would deny that just because somehow their system can run it well.

People attach personal feelings and emotions to games. It's the raison d'etre of many users on this forum, including myself.

Sometimes it clouds their judgement. Happens to the best of us. Nobody would have believed that a game like this (with that pedigree of developer/publisher) would have turned out the way it did. Some people are still in denial or ignoring the problems. It happens.

Not that this absolves WB/IG of any guilt, of course.

Turfster

I thought they do? I always upload them in specific order so certain screenshots show up last.

Not always, not consistently.

It's interesting that if AK really has Denuvo bolted onto it, nobody's blaming useless DRM that's constantly "protecting the game" for performance inconsistencies, which in the 20+ years of PC gaming I've done is usually one of the main culprits =p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom