• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 II - Click the Monsters You Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

why are there no Olympic games on Steam? Winter Olympics were in 2014 :/

I want a Curling game..

hqdefault.jpg

Still the best.

Jawmuncher

Indubitably! Play your cards right.

IPhone or Android? If it's android then just use request desktop site. Works for me.

It must be a bug on safari and iPhone. Never had this issue in the past doing what you said.
Now it's like I get half logged in. Can access my account and cart but anything community is a no go. Wish the mobile app allowed for everything.

Lain

I don't even bother, really. So I should make research to claim this is a bad port? A game that sucks pretty much your whole ram, a game that crashes way too often, it misses textures (or so it seems), it misses effects present on console release, and I need to research if the port is good or it isn't?
Nothing to add, here.

Well, researching what you post is fundamental, otherwise you take the risk of writing inaccurate things. That said, in the case of Arkham Knight, all the research one needs in declaring the quality of the port is in the publisher stopping sales of the game because of the quality it released in. No more research than that is needed, really.

I didn't know DMC4 was so much loved. I played it years ago and I didn't like the "beat half the game with nero, now beat it again in reverse order with dante" thing. This special edition is the same but with 3 new characters right?

Same, that REALLY rubbed me the wrong way.

"Oh shit, our game is only 4 hours long"
"Create a new character and make the player go through it twice"
"You're a genius boss"

Dr Dogg

I don't even bother, really. So I should make research to claim this is a bad port? A game that sucks pretty much your whole ram, a game that crashes way too often, it misses textures (or so it seems), it misses effects present on console release, and I need to research if the port is good or it isn't?
Nothing to add, here.

And that's where your making mistakes as your attributing andotical evidence as fact for everybody now. I've had the process use upto 12gb of RAM and whack my committed memory to 24gig but never had a out of memory error or an exception throw up that points to memory errors, let alone notice any hard faults which is the key indicator the game is exceeding and not release memory and exuashsted it's address space in virtual memory. How many times has it crashed for you? How many times is way too often? What did the crash lof in event log show was the faulting module and the exception code each time of a crash? On average how many times has it crashed for other people? The Witcher III crashed 15+ times for me and about 5 in the playtime I had with Arkham Knight. There aren't missing textures but some streaming issues which has plagued every UE game pretty much to date with each varying in terms of servity (it's not just texture streaming but mesh and geomentary assets too). In this game it's no more problematic than traversing through Arkham City too fast was, go too fast through the world and you'll hit a point where the engine can't keep up and in Arkham Knight you have a faster means of traversal in the Batmobile. Then we get the confusion of people posting comparisons, incorect ones at that, that purport to show missing assets from PC to Consoles like tree gate yesterday when they weren't a 1:1 comparision at the same point in the game and people are blindly accusing whoever was in charge of PC dev for missing these things out when it's not the case.

I'm not saying this is a good port, Christ it's not even what I'd call acceptable but it's not what people are describing it. I get it they're mad, angry, upset, whatever, about a game they were really excited for and it doesn't even come close to meeting expectations let alone sit on par with the 2 other released versions in terms of performance metrics and has a few missing effects but that still doesn't make it as bad as it's being purported. For example people are throwing around the word broken to describe the game but for me that would be a game you couldn't play from start to finish even if you wanted to. A game that would hang, would crash for everyone, have bugs that block progression, won't launch etc. that isn't the case here and some people have gone to the far extreme to voice their dissatisfaction. I'm not happy, I paid for it just like countless others but I can play it to a much better standard than I could with Watch_Dogs which even then I settled for compromises to sink 50+ hours in at launch week.

Messiah

Batmobile is awesome in AR Challenges, in free roam not so much. That is my opinion :D

Yeah, I just used it when it was required to complete a mission. Otherwise I would glide through the city.
Love how you can drive over thugs' heads while they are unconscious though. They didn't even bother explaining how that doesn't kill them.

Majukun

know it's the steam thread..but anyone con't log in on gog?it just appears the loading circla but it continues spinning without opening the window where i put username and password.

Yeah, I just used it when it was required to complete a mission. Otherwise I would glide through the city.
Love how you can drive over thugs' heads while they are unconscious though. They didn't even bother explaining how that doesn't kill them.

They should make it like the PS1 Batman and Robin game - running over bystanders or totalling cars cut off a sliver of health, and Bats got all self-reflective and broody.

It must be a bug on safari and iPhone. Never had this issue in the past doing what you said.
Now it's like I get half logged in. Can access my account and cart but anything community is a no go. Wish the mobile app allowed for everything.
It's been like that the past week. I can use the site by using the desktop version, otherwise it doesn't load community features.

Dr Dogg

So since Arkham Knight got pulled, it means they're going to fix it, right?

I mean....they wouldn't just leave it as is....right guys?

right?

I mean what are people hoping gets fixed? Are folks wanting the missing shaders and effects present in the console versions pressent and working in a like for like manner? Do peeps want a more scalable game that they can adjust certain settings to achieve a higher framerate? Do some people what more settings just renamed so they're not getting caught up on Normal Texures (I mean would there be so much hooray it the options were called Normal and High)? Do peeps want proper 21:9 support that doesn't stretch cutscenes and certain HUD elements? Do others want multi monitor support? Who knows how much work some of the basic things are and what would be the best plan of action to tackle the fundlementals of getting a version up to par graphically with the other versions. Then again as I said yesterday adding AO and extra shaders in is going to be a greater performance cost so it will act like a double edged sword if the game can't scale down to an extent where it's acceptable for that persons hardware.

I mean what are people hoping gets fixed? Are folks wanting the missing shaders and effects present in the console versions pressent and working in a like for like manner? Do peeps want a more scalable game that they can adjust certain settings to achieve a higher framerate? Do some people what more settings just renamed so they're not getting caught up on Normal Texures (I mean would there be so much hooray it the options were called Normal and High)? Do peeps want proper 21:9 support that doesn't stretch cutscenes and certain HUD elements? Do others want multi monitor support? Who knows how much work some of the basic things are and what would be the best plan of action to tackle the fundlementals of getting a version up to par graphically with the other versions. Then again as I said yesterday adding AO and extra shaders in is going to be a greater performance cost so it will act like a double edged sword if the game can't scale down to an extent where it's acceptable for that persons hardware.

Are you serious? Game runs like crap in most machines.

I'm not asking for any of that.

I can't even run the damn thing with the framerate jumping from 1 to 60 when Bats is just standing there. Just because I have an AMD card shouldn't mean I can't play the game.

Dr Dogg

Are you serious? Game runs like crap in most machines.

Of course I'm fucking serious what do you want fixed? What's 'broken' for you and you want sorted? If you say it runs like crap so I want extra performance what do you want to happen? Do you know what they can do go gain extra performance? Can it be a processes of refinement to gain back performance or are feautres and effects are going to have to be cut to achieve that? If you know what can be done I'm all fucking ears becuase all I have are every time there's something not up to someone's expectation, whether it's a reasonable expectation or loopy dreams of fantasy that a game will run as intended in their machine is "fix it, fix it, fix it!'. Christ I'm surprised people haven't thrown up the Durante Signal hoping he will doing something about it. There's a massive discontent between what a lot people understand about game development and what they expect and it leads to some truely horrible posts all across the Internet.

I'm not asking for any of that.

I can't even run the damn thing with the framerate jumping from 1 to 60 when Bats is just standing there. Just because I have an AMD card shouldn't mean I can't play the game.

Have you looked into what exactly your system is doing? As in what reported GPU activity and CPU activity is like, more over since I recall you have 8gb of RAM what's that looking like? Process Explorer will probably give more detail as you individual things think what threads the process itself is doing like CPU and memory useage in a thread by thread level. I'm not having a dig but when someone say broke it's not really helpful if they can't say broke how and had a proper look at strange behaviour.

They pulled the fucking game from Steam. I'm pretty sure that's admitting that something is broken and needs fixing.

I can't believe what I'm reading here

ViviOggi

Same, that REALLY rubbed me the wrong way.

"Oh shit, our game is only 4 hours long"
"Create a new character and make the player go through it twice"
"You're a genius boss"
Character Action games are played and replayed for the combat, not the single playthrough setpiece experience. If anything all genre entries should have MGR-style short, focused campaigns trimmed of fat, shitty platforming and puzzles just keep me from slashing dudes in style.

Dr Dogg

Seriously do you folks only deal on a tolerance of great or shit and nothing inbetween? Urgh you know what fuck it, have fun GAF...

Of course I'm fucking serious what do you want fixed? What's 'broken' for you and you want sorted? If you say it runs like crap so I want extra performance what do you want to happen? Do you know what they can do go gain extra performance? Can it be a processes of refinement to gain back performance or are feautres and effects are going to have to be cut to achieve that? If you know what can be done I'm all fucking ears becuase all I have are every time there's something not up to someone's expectation, whether it's a reasonable expectation or loopy dreams of fantasy that a game will run as intended in their machine is "fix it, fix it, fix it!'. Christ I'm surprised people haven't thrown up the Durante Signal hoping he will doing something about it. There's a massive discontent between what a lot people understand about game development and what they expect and it leads to some truely horrible posts all across the Internet.

We arent developers so how should we know how to fix it. How should we know why the game directly fills the RAM?

We can see its in a totally broken state right now and is kinda unplayable for a lot of folks. I dont know why you try to defend the developer here, when its clear they did a shitty job.
This is no Crysis, where people dont have a PC that is powerful enough to play it.

It runs like shit on almost every machine. People with a 980 talk about random framedrops.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Please Steamgaf dont get mad. Take your problems (and your refunds) and turn them into happy boobs.
73b75554e1.gif

chronomac

yeah fuck us for having standards

There's a big difference in asking for things and understanding the work and side-effects of the things you're asking for. And adding effects to an already inefficient game isn't going to help matters at all.

The game needs to, at the very least, be more consistent in its frame-rate, regardless of whether the 30 FPS cap is on (and that needs to be an in-menu option). I think most other things are secondary to consistency at this point.

I bet most people just want the $60 game they bought to work decently. It's an UE3 game, there's no excuse for it not performing adecuately in reasonably powerful machines in 2015, unless the port was an unoptimized mess.

baterism

I'm kinda glad I never dig batman game. I think the best way now is to wait WB and co to assess the issues. Critics have been addressed. They have admit it, and they are working on it. It's literally nothing else we can do for now.

Have you looked into what exactly your system is doing? As in what reported GPU activity and CPU activity is like, more over since I recall you have 8gb of RAM what's that looking like? Process Explorer will probably give more detail as you individual things think what threads the process itself is doing like CPU and memory useage in a thread by thread level. I'm not having a dig but when someone say broke it's not really helpful if they can't say broke how and had a proper look at strange behaviour.

To be honest, I haven't had time to check. With my limited time gaming, I can either flawlessly play Witcher 3...or figure out the fuck Batman is doing.

That being said, I have some extra time over the weekend to see if I feeling like fiddling with it for wait until the shitstorm blows over with a patch or two before digging in.

I get your point, no dig taken. This is the crux that falls on us PC folks from time to time. Can't tell you long I spent trying to get Dead Rising 3 to fucking load.

This game is going to cost me a lot in PC upgrades - HR is one of my Fav games.
While textures, effects and lighting look really great, I'm not sure that it will be one of the most taxing games. Just a hunch. Or hope, haha.
also, RIP Jawmuncher's tag
He's got it back. Maybe tagged folks get them back automatically after ban? Dunno
[...]
Also it makes it very hard for me to participate in this thread when I feel like I'm a parent eavesdropping on my kids' birthday party, even worse when all the kids are just gossiping about the parents.
At least you're not walking in on us jerking off mom.. I mean mod!
dRYj2lo.png

Gameplay looks like the dumbest, simple mobile game.
1324.gif

I don't know why there is an AK PC defense force. I just wish we knew what the hell went wrong. Did Rocksteady give Iron Galaxy the wrong build? Did Iron Galaxy get the build too close to launch to get it in shape? Did WB know that the game wasn't right yet still launched it with the hopes that no one would notice?

Something clearly went wrong here and it isn't as simple as IRON GALAXY ARE FUCKTARDS or ROCKSTEADY DOESNT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT PC GAMING. There had to have been major communication issues from all parties involved.

Jeff Gerstmann, Giant Bomb EIC and friends with IG's CEO Dave Lang, said something to the effect that IG's involvement with the port was not significant enough for these issues to be solely directed at them. So until we know more, it sure seems like there's a decent amount of blame to go around.

Seriously do you folks only deal on a tolerance of great or shit and nothing inbetween? Urgh you know what fuck it, have fun GAF...

I know that feeling.
Back in DA Inquisition days, people were bashing the game all day long while I was enjoying the 100+ hours out of it. I learned my lesson, people have different tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom