• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 II - Click the Monsters You Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... Jackbox looks interesting. Should I grab it? I am a fan of YDKJ games, but I am wondering for this one's longevity.

jackbox is a great party game. YDKJ, Fibbage, and Drawful are all terrific party games. The other games are ok but those 3 are well worth the price of the package

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
How's Dreadout?

For all of the growing pains it has as a low budget affair, I found myself rather in love with it by the end. There are many things that could have been done better by a more experienced team and larger budget, but the developers have a certain understanding about pacing and integrating the scares into the world that sets them above many other independent horror makers out there.

E6521A3EB70CCC0054F3F124E56A7D075E150DF4

There's quirky, sometimes awkward humor which eventually grew on me, and does a fine job of making the students feel like teenagers. Especially considering the time they have to endear you to the characters before things start really hitting the fan. Which is where the game truly shines, once the lights are out and the spirits crawl from their hiding spots to play.

The gameplay borrows a lot from PS2 era classics - particularly Fatal Frame but with some Silent Hill aesthetics borrowed and applied to Indonesian culture. From the way the character handles to the way each game system works, it feels like it came out of 2002. You might think that a negative, but I can describe it as having nostalgia for something that didn't actually come out at the turn of the century. Is that weird? Probably.

There's quite a lot to look past, from some dodgy animations to very low res textures rearing their ugly heads like the creatures of the night themselves. It is very ugly, yet attractive to anyone who enjoyed horror games of days' past. Though, they went through the trouble of using immersive positional audio, which is something I always find other horror devs slacking on. I really appreciated that they took the time to get this aspect right, as I feel like skipping it misses the point of the mantra of "Play with headphones". So while it may be lacking visually from time to time, the audio uplifts the presentation.

For all of the technical weirdness, I remained glued to my desk during my time with Dreadout. Which points to one of Dreadout's strengths and weaknesses - the game is so well paced that by the time it's over, you want more. Many devs overstay their welcome or hammer one type of scare too hard for too long. Dreadout introduces new concepts to keep things fresh, even some things that other games in the genre haven't tried before. This is an uncut diamond, and one which I hope others pick up and enjoy much in the same way I did. There's just something special about the way they "get" horror that hasn't been seen much since the decline of the genre's popularity beyond youtube jumpscare bait.

Shadownet

Banned
No doubt. The base game includes the issues 1-4. With the ultimate edition you also get 5-11. Issues 5-7 expand the story in the base game zones (all high-quality content). Issue 8 introduces scenarios and isn't all that great but bridges the gap to the new storyline in Tokyo. Issues 9-11 are my favourites and introduce the new zone of Tokyo leading into the end of the first act of The Secret World.

Man I really want to get the Ultimate Edition but $30 is a lot lol. Will be more than what I've spent on any one game this sale. I think I should go look at some gameplay video before making any decision.
------------------------
Planet Explorers has one of the jankiest animation I've ever seen.

Dsyndrome

So I haven't updated an OS in a long while. When I update to Windows 10, is it a requirement to format the drive it's located on? Trying to figure out whether I have to back up all my Steam, GOG, and emulator files or not.

derExperte

So I haven't updated an OS in a long while. When I update to Windows 10, is it a requirement to format the drive it's located on? Trying to figure out whether I have to back up all my Steam, GOG, and emulator files or not.

No. You can install fresh but don't have to.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
So Shenmue 3 is mainly funded by Sony and Sony didn't have any issues putting it on PC? This is second time they did it, first time was Street Fighter V.

So Sony could have funded the game without making the kickstarter. *rolls eyes*

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

making the fact that everyone fucks off to the rapture being exclusive more and more bizarre

Dsyndrome

There are of course exceptions. For example if you have a 32Bit OS and want to go 64. Or if you're running Vista.
64 bit 8.1 for me now; I've been installing stuff since getting the new laptop in January, just didn't want to have to move files and such if I didn't have to. I'm fine with reinstalling games, just have to watch out for Galaxy wiping my folders while doing that though...

Tizoc

The whole point of the Kickstarter is to give SEGA more incentive to release Shenmue 1+2 HD on Steam...as 2 separate games; +2s!

Arthea

let's try this again precious steamgaf. I have very little money left of my summer sale fund, so you probably could talk me out of some games. This is what I want from today offerings:

Game of Thrones (kinda too expensive still and Telltale game, but otoh GoT)
DYNASTY WARRIORS 8 - I didn't asked for this price, it not gonna go cheaper any time soon it would seem, not to mention that base price still high
GROUND ZEROES - I'm not entirely sure I even want this. but it's MGS and not too expensive.
Metal Gear Rising already played long ago on PS3, not a fan, but it's kinda cheap
Dungeons 2 - shouldn't even be considering, can't afford
Test Drive Unlimited 2 - price is nice...
The Secret World - I was planning to try it at some point, but maybe next year would do?
Lichdom: Battlemage - again not sure, do I want it? gameplay vids do nothing for me, it doesn't look that fun... but maybe it's wrong impression, is it?
Tokyo School Life ... -45%, after it was hardest to unlock? damn. again unlikely it'll ever get cheaper, at least not any time soon
Fight The Dragon - is it multi, coop oriented? Surely looks like it. Or is it fun alone too?
DreadOut - can it wait till Halloween sale, or aren't we not getting it like the last time.

kindly help to prune this list

Chariot

So sorry for you that you don't get the game locked into an exclusive deal on one console - or not at all because nobody wanted to take the tisk. I for one am glad that we get it and that we get it one PC. Because I am not ashaned if my main gaming platform. You continue to drool about your fictional 3D girls and be edgy, but keep in mind that others actually want 2D girls and good games on PC!

I'd be surprised if the development was $2mil. KS was just for building the hype train.

Of course. Even Bloodstained already had a guaranteed $5 behind it. You can't make Shenmue on $2m. This is just a few early preorders + marketing + lower risk.

Who cares, there's going to be a new Shenmue

yeah, only gaf could make the miracle that is a new shenmue game a bad thing.

cmon now, who gives a shit how it's coming about? Enough money men have been fooled into funding a virtua fighter walking simulator yet again. This should be a time of great joy and bliss.

Vazra

So sorry for you that you don't get the game locked into an exclusive deal on one console - or not at all because nobody wanted to take the tisk. I for one am glad that we get it and that we get it one PC. Because I am not ashaned if my main gaming platform. You continue to drool about your fictional 3D girls and be edgy, but keep in mind that others actually want 2D girls and good games on PC!

Eh? Did I forget to tip you?

Annubis

let's try this again precious steamgaf. I have very little money left of my summer sale fund, so you probably could talk me out of some games. This is what I want from today offerings:

Game of Thrones (kinda too expensive still and Telltale game, but otoh GoT)
DYNASTY WARRIORS 8 - I didn't asked for this price, it not gonna go cheaper any time soon it would seem, not to mention that base price still high
GROUND ZEROES - I'm not entirely sure I even want this. but it's MGS and not too expensive.
Metal Gear Rising already played long ago on PS3, not a fan, but it's kinda cheap
Dungeons 2 - shouldn't even be considering, can't afford
Test Drive Unlimited 2 - price is nice...
The Secret World - I was planning to try it at some point, but maybe next year would do?
Lichdom: Battlemage - again not sure, do I want it? gameplay vids do nothing for me, it doesn't look that fun... but maybe it's wrong impression, is it?
Tokyo School Life ... -45%, after it was hardest to unlock? damn. again unlikely it'll ever get cheaper, at least not any time soon
Fight The Dragon - is it multi, coop oriented? Surely looks like it. Or is it fun alone too?
DreadOut - can it wait till Halloween sale, or aren't we not getting it like the last time.

kindly help to prune this list

Tokyo school life sounds like something that could end up in a bundle eventually.
Like a Groupee Japan bundle or something.

Vazra

I guess I have to wait for next year to get Stick of Truth at sub-10 CAD. C'est la vie.

Maybe Winter Sale?

What I find odd is how the prices fluctuate between Winter Sale and Summer Sale when some games are way cheaper in summer and then in Winter they cost more and vice versa. Then again a deal is still deal.

dex3108

Yeah this is not good at all.

Playfire Rewards have been on a small holiday for the past couple of weeks, but Rewards are coming BACK next week – and are bigger than ever.

We're pleased to announce that we're going big with our Rewards, and each week we will be offering players the chance to win up to £1000 in Green Man Gaming credit!

Here's how it's going to work...

• Every week, we'll pick an awesome game to include in Playfire Rewards. Everyone who plays the game for one hour during that week will get a reward of 5p in Green Man Gaming credit!
  • Even more excitingly, everyone who ALSO registers their interest by logging into Playfire and clicking “Add to wishlist” on the game’s Rewards Page, will get entered into a draw for the chance to win up to £1000 in Green Man Gaming credit!

Starting on Tuesday 23rd June, Playfire Rewards will be back with the bat! Batman: Arkham Knight, Rocksteady’s third Batman game, promises to be a showstopper. The return of Scarecrow, the chance the drive the Batmobile, and more baddies to beat up than you can shake a batarang at.

Haven't got your copy of Batman: Arkham Knight yet? Head over to the VIP page on Green Man Gaming where you can get 40% off!

So, to recap...
  • Play Batman: Arkham Knight for one hour to qualify for the 5p Playfire Reward
  • Head to the Batman: Arkham Knight Rewards Page
  • Click "Add to wishlist" to enter this week's Prize Draw
Speaking of prizes, here's what's up for grabs:

• EPIC REWARD - £1000 (1 winner)
  • LEGENDARY REWARD - £500 (2 winners)
  • RARE REWARD - £50 (10 winners)

The winners will be selected randomly, and announced 2nd June at the Playfire Rewards Batman: Arkham Knight page.

We hope you enjoy this new chapter of Playfire Rewards. As always, we would love to hear your feedback. You can share your thoughts over on the Playfire forums, and good luck!

Team Playfire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom