• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 II - Click the Monsters You Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

baterism

At this time, I wished SteamDB still leaks and GAF going nuts when Sega submit one game
which turned out to be Seaman

I want to drop money on Kickstarter, but it is for a game which I don't know jack about and released at best Dec 2017, man. I need time to think.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
for games that support Steam Cloud, there's actually no need for Gamesave Manager right?
or am I missing something?

Not necessarily. Some games that support Steam Cloud don't use it for saves (e.g. Rage and Wolf14 only back up the player's config file, because, y'know, that makes total sense).

sprinkles

I would back that Shenmue Kickstarter if one of those stretch goals would be PC ports for 1+2. I never played those (and I am certain I am not alone in this) so funding and later playing the third game in a story driven franchise just isn't appealing to me without easy access to the earlier games.

Anteater

man I love those textures in this game

gotkquum.jpg
got241sq1.jpg

wilflare

Not necessarily. Some games that support Steam Cloud don't use it for saves (e.g. Rage and Wolf14 only back up the player's config file, because, y'know, that makes total sense).

lol... guess I'll still need it then.
I almost hosed my games using that earlier :/

I would back that Shenmue Kickstarter if one of those stretch goals would be PC ports for 1+2. I never played those (and I am certain I am not alone in this) so funding and later playing the third game in a story driven franchise just isn't appealing to me without easy access to the earlier games.
Yea same boat as me except them ports could go on ps4 too since I got that as well. Id like to play em to see what the big deal is.

I feel like an HD version of the Shenmue games would only serve to turn people off of the new game. They're essentially clunky open-worldish slow paced adventure games with extremely primitive QTEs and terribad voice acting. And i suppose some decent fighting scenes.

They were very charming at the time and ambitious as all hell but the warts that you could overlook in 2000 are not so easy to ignore in 2015.

And all of this is from someone who bought Shenmue 1 on the dreamcast day one and imported Shenmue 2 from the UK for the dreamcast as well as played the OG Xbox port. I feel like an HD port would only really serve those who want to play those games again and know exactly what they're in for, it might do more harm than good to newcomers.

Shantom

Funstock are having a summer sale with some decent Capcom deals. Use code JUN-SUMMERSALE-RED25.

Lost Planet 3: £3.75
Remember Me: £3.37
Strider: £2.70
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara: £2.82
Ultra Street Fighter IV Upgrade: £3.89
Ultra Street Fighter IV: £7.12

License issues with songs. They deemed that it was not worth the cost to fix that because they thought it wouldn't sell enough to compensate for that.

I think license issues are related to some tools, and not songs.

Well that's annoying. Thank you both.

Hmm. I remember reading that Oddworld New N Tasty (which im playing on the PS4 right now and is an excellent game if you can ignore the really wonky framerate) needed to sell 200k copies to get a sequel greenlit. Now, i know that they've already mentioned that a remake of the second game is fully underway but the game seems to have only done 50k sales on the PC and I'm having a hard time believing that it sold another 150k on the consoles, especially since it launched at the above-impulse price of $30.

Wonder if they made enough off of the PS+ release to cover the costs or if 200k was just wishful thinking on their end.

wilflare

can someone explain to me why...
even when you set a separate folder for Steam to save uncompressed screenshots to.

it still operates its own folder of compressed jpgs? :/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmm. I remember reading that Oddworld New N Tasty (which im playing on the PS4 right now and is an excellent game if you can ignore the really wonky framerate) needed to sell 200k copies to get a sequel greenlit. Now, i know that they've already mentioned that a remake of the second game is fully underway but the game seems to have only done 50k sales on the PC and I'm having a hard time believing that it sold another 150k on the consoles, especially since it launched at the above-impulse price of $30.

Wonder if they made enough off of the PS+ release to cover the costs or if 200k was just wishful thinking on their end.

I fully expect it to be another temporary PS4 exclusive.

even when you set a separate folder for Steam to save uncompressed screenshots to.

The compressed screenshots are intended for Steam Community. Better Steam save them locally and then give you the option of deleting them upon exiting the game than store them in RAM.

I think it's because those jpgs are the ones getting uploaded. Not the png ones. Might be wrong though.

MaxiLive

I think that is up to Sega! But if you have never played the series I don't think a port would do much to sway you as mechanically they haven't aged all that well.

I've been playing through Shenmue 1 over the past few weeks and it is a fantastic game with a really deep open world. Mechanically though it feels rather dated with the lumpy movement and slow interaction with objects.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
I've just bought a Xbox One for 188€ including the Master Chief Collection. I just couldn't resist after MS gave me a 150€ voucher.

Maybe I'll trade it for a PS4...

I fully expect it to be another temporary PS4 exclusive

I'll take it if that's what's needed to keep the oddworld games coming. I just hope that if they can't get a solid 60 fps 95% of the time with the Abe Exodus remake that they either lock the game to 30 or at least offer an option to cap the framerate yourself. NNT sits at this uncomfortable 35-50ish range for most of the game and it really makes some of the parts where you're expected to do some twitch jumping a bit more difficult than it needs be.

MUnited83

For you.

wilflare

I fully expect it to be another temporary PS4 exclusive.

The compressed screenshots are intended for Steam Community. Better Steam save them locally and then give you the option of deleting them upon exiting the game than store them in RAM.

makes sense. oh well. guess I'll just deal with it :/
hmm if I don't check "Save Uncompressed Screenshots"
would Steam still save the compressed jpgs in the within the Steam folder + another copy in my customized location?

I think it's because those jpgs are the ones getting uploaded. Not the png ones. Might be wrong though.

that's what's happening actually
compressed jpg in steam folder
uncompressed png in my custom folder

Wait, i can get Steam to save uncompressed screenshots?

yeap! check your settings :D it's a checkbox

sprinkles

I feel like an HD version of the Shenmue games would only serve to turn people off of the new game. They're essentially clunky open-worldish slow paced adventure games with extremely primitive QTEs and terribad voice acting. And i suppose some decent fighting scenes.

They were very charming at the time and ambitious as all hell but the warts that you could overlook in 2000 are not so easy to ignore in 2015.

And all of this is from someone who bought Shenmue 1 on the dreamcast day one and imported Shenmue 2 from the UK for the dreamcast as well as played the OG Xbox port. I feel like an HD port would only really serve those who want to play those games again and know exactly what they're in for, it might do more harm than good to newcomers.
I see your point but then they better have a fantastic way to introduce the story to new players. You don't start reading a book 300 pages in.

Lain

'playtime' is a bit misleading, since you basically leave the game running for extending periods of time.

I don't even do that. I close it and open it back a day later to spend all the gold the game has been farming for me and if my damage is still not enough to go deeper, close and come back later once again.

I see your point but then they better have a fantastic way to introduce the story to new players. You don't start reading a book 300 pages in.

I think they went with the best option, which is to produce films based on the events of the games so that you'll be caught up.

also, dreamcast emulators are pretty good now, most games play at or near 100%. So you could always search out the darker corners of the internet if you don't feel like getting your pants ripped off from people exploiting those interested in the series now. Not that I would condone that, but I also am not a fan of great games being relegated to abandonware like the 2 shenmue games appear to have been, either. I guess that's a call for the average fan to make. Hopefully, for those interested some smart businessmen will get together from here till 2017-18 when Shenmue 3 is due to come out and make an HD remaster collection an actual thing for people like yourself who want to see what the fuss was all about.

Ozium

Bi-weekly
I'm passing, only missing three.

in for Bloodnet, Rex Nebbie, Treeker, Siralim, and Hypt..

Missing 4. Will get on happy hour when the whole full bundle will cost me less than 1.5$

I thought in order to get happy hour thing you had to have bought the bundle in the first place... ? I guess I'm confused as to what it is.

Pinball Arcade is the Arma 3 of Vidya Pinball and FX2 is the Call of Duty :p

I like both, but would choose PA over FX2 any time!

mr-miyagi-o.gif

dex3108

Hey SteamGAF small real life advice if you can;t afford stainless steel/inox fence for your balcony use wood. Trust me when time comes to change old paint you will curse day when you bought metal fence. It took me 5 hours to sand old paint with machine and put primer on part of the fence and i need to do same thing over and over again until al fences around my house are ready for final coat of paint.

Now back to Steam it is strange that new Steam Mobile is not live on Google Play yet.

derExperte

DetectiveGAF lacks the resources to see my Xbox 360 and PSN profiles. EXPOSED.

We have top men working to confirm this. Please do not leave town in case we have more questions. Like for example have you played the newer tables which are generally much better than the old ones?

MUnited83

For you.
I thought in order to get happy hour thing you had to have bought the bundle in the first place... ? I guess I'm confused as to what it is.

Group buys. Somebody buys the whole bundle when it goes live. Then they buy a pack of 5 indiegala gifts which will get multiplied by the happy hour thingy, so they will receive like 20 bundles in total.

And you don't need to get the bundle in the first place to use happy hour. You can still use happy hour, you just receive less bundles than someone who bought it at the full price before.
I got the current Hump Day bundle for 1$ only.

This should be unused. Sorry if not. I'm an idiot. Of course it's unused -_-'
Thanks to Jase, too ;)
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (freshVeggie, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dominique Pamplemousse -- MB-2636E51BCBF5AE8B - Taken by rainking187. 3 entrants total.

t1435327544z1.png

Ten minutes into Dreamfall Chapters, the gameplay is simply garbage, here.
I'm not liking Chapters. Until now, there were like ten minutes really interesting that actually provided some info about the plot itself. The rest, is just doing some random and boring tasks around.
But hey, since the gameplay was too good, why do not introducing pixel hunt in chapter 3? Why not, it's a good idea, right? Expecially if your engine doesn't trigger point of interest if you are not in the exact spot. I wandered 40 minutes into ONE room, just to trigger a spot.
Is this the game with shitbot?

Because shitbot seems to really make the experience.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (lashman, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Global Ops: Commando Libya -- MB-ED00DDEF5D890F1A - Taken by The_Super_Inframan
The Defenders: The Second Wave -- MB-61AAE4AEFB039C06 - Taken by Purkake4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom