• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 II - Click the Monsters You Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just re-bought it on PSN to play it on Vita because I have no faith it in ever getting ported to PC. Though I guess I could also play it on PPSSPP.

be careful, i *believe* that you might need a ps3 in order to transfer the game to the vita. Some games cannot be bought directly on the vita probably due to licensing issues.

I dunno if this was ever updated for VC2 but i just had to do it the other day for the Sega Genesis Collection.

Alienware will have another Twitch stream tonight...from their Twitter

"You def do NOT wan't to miss today's stream at 4PM PT/7PM ET because we've got #tonsofprizes"

chronomac

Alienware will have another Twitch stream tonight...from their Twitter

"You def do NOT wan't to miss today's stream at 4PM PT/7PM ET because we've got #tonsofprizes"

And to reiterate (because I asked before), you just need to be logged in, following the channel and watching the stream.

I have heard that VC2 is a much more animu game compared to VC1 and that there's a hell of a grind in VC2 that is nonexistent in VC1. care to elaborate on those points?

Yo steamgaf, what is your opinion on Lethis?

I've played through the tutorials and really like it. It's like the Pharaoh/Zeus/Caesar city-builders, where you build houses and upgrade them through building services and industries.

Most citizens are workers but there is a smaller class of bourgeois which require automatons to staff bourgeois specific buildings. Instead of electricity there is steam power with steam pipelines rather than electric cables, and instead of horse-drawn carriages trade is made via hot-air balloon.

I haven't got round to the campaign but I think its about 20 missions long and there's a sandbox mode. The cities looks suitably steampunk and are inspired by Jules Verne novels and Studio Ghibli's art style. The developers also seem quite active in the steam forums.

Chariot

I have heard that VC2 is a much more animu game compared to VC1 and that there's a hell of a grind in VC2 that is nonexistent in VC1. care to elaborate on those points?
All true to some extent.
The setting is a military acedemy, which could be interesting, but is just an excuse to have the school setting with the usual tropes. The characters are pretty bland and standard, not exactly bad, just nothing special anymore. There are fewer maps that get reused often, especially the training grounds. You need materials to craft things and these materials are to be farmed in repeatable missions, it's not that bad, just a lot worse than VC1.

The game isn't bad, it's jsut a lot worse than VC1 and a major disappointment when you're coming from there.

Jawmuncher

All true to some extent.
The setting is a military acedemy, which could be interesting, but is just an excuse to have the school setting with the usual tropes. The characters are pretty bland and standard, not exactly bad, just nothing special anymore. There are fewer maps that get reused often, especially the training grounds. You need materials to craft things and these materials are to be farmed in repeatable missions, it's not that bad, just a lot worse than VC1.

The game isn't bad, it's jsut a lot worse than VC1 and a major disappointment when you're coming from there.

I prefer the characters to those in VC1 and felt I did less of a grind than in VC1 as well. Though that was probably due to the portability factor. know I'm in the minority though.

Haunted

QuDWRs1.jpg

B003Q9RG9K.01.lg.jpg

latest
yeaaah.... fuck that shit

Stuff:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

ROYAL DEFENSE -- MB-DAB3482678A647A4 - Taken by Hektor
MEMORIES OF A VAGABOND -- MB-B72D5CF6DB05BDA4 - Taken by Loptous
ON A ROLL 3D -- MB-41D09E963D2907BD - Taken by madjoki
HIEF TOWN -- MB-39759EB1035F7FBA - Taken by Sammichu
PIXEL PIRACY -- MB-608FA0E9E9572268 - Taken by texhnolyze
FRANKENSTEIN: MASTER OF DEATH -- MB-39E559380EDD9D0D - Taken by redlacs

Hief Town is Thief Town.

Chariot

I prefer the characters to those in VC1 and felt I did less of a grind than in VC1 as well. Though that was probably due to the portability factor. know I'm in the minority though.
VC1 had no real grind. It was just story mission after story mission. You had to repeat missions and operations if you want to 100% the game.

But I canÄt excuse the characters. Munchy, Munchy.

yeaaah.... fuck that shit
I liked the many classes though and that you could train your guys as you saw fit. I want a sequel that incoperates that. Lots of people hated the melee classes, but I loved them. How could you now love giant ass hammers and blades?

True, about the new version of Xrd still being location tested. I just don't have the best of faith with ASW games in terms of what version we get. That said I hope.

I want Under Night first though as the devs said they would do a PC version.

Jawmuncher

VC1 had no real grind. It was just story mission after story mission. You had to repeat missions and operations if you want to 100% the game.

But I canÄt excuse the characters. Munchy, Munchy.

I liked the many classes though and that you could train your guys as you saw fit. I want a sequel that incoperates that. Lots of people hated the melee classes, but I loved them. How could you now love giant ass hammers and blades?

I legit felt more playing VC2 than I did VC1. Dunno why, maybe because it was my first VC but story and character wise I just really enjoyed. VC1 isn't bad by no means, but I guess I just prefer the grimness of war with a bit of a light hearted flavor like in VC2 as opposed to how it was handled in VC1. Which I know is all kinds of out of whack, but that's just how I take it.

Shame we never got 3 though, since that was bsdically a mix of 1&2 I hear and better for it.

Nyoro SF

All true to some extent.

I could write a thesis on how bad VC2 was. Not just the characters, but the embarrassing balance of the battle system.

I'm not going to ramble about it or whatever, but I'll hold back about it in case Sega decides to port the game anywhere. Franchise is on too tight of a rope already, if not already dead. :(

Lain

VC2 has a bigger grind to change classes. You have to find and use the drops with the characters you want to change to a certain class. It's the only annoying aspect of the game for me and can be a sore point for people that want to experiment or frequently change classes.
More animu... well I thought VC1 was just as anime as it gets. It's just that in VC2 the guys are in a training school and the story follows the highschool tropes of anime and manga, plus the main guy is an idiot so it just becomes more apparent because of this change in settings and main cast personality, but I'll always maintain that VC2 is just as anime as VC1 was. VC2 just has a more relaxed and silly atmosphere.

Anyone know how good is Tropico 5? Any major upgrades from 4?

It feels the same but buildings are divided by time period. There's the colonial period where you use farms ranches and mines as the main source of industry. World War era introduces more military and entertainment buildings, Cold War brings Tourism and the Modern Era is bring lavish hotels, skyscrapers and entertainment buildings.

I really liked the era system, but it does somewhat limit you in the early game if you enjoy the tourism aspect. Speeches are also taken out but there's a radio host who makes comments and announcements on happenings and the buildings you've built. The only major problem is an artificial difficulty in the form of rebels, who can appear and rebel even when everyone is 100% happy.

It also adds an edict system, with options such as free rations, secret police, free healthcare, wi-fi, and hosting the olympics. There's also a simple legislation system where you can pick 1 of 3 options for a number of things like army education level.

C4rter

Bundle Stuff

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (C4rter, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Bloodnet -- MB-CDEEC1660CE33044 - Taken by nightstorm
Shadow Ops: Red Mercury -- MB-676421A8C1019B21 - Taken by KingKong
Slave Zero -- MB-3A6FC63E7C5DDA20 - Taken by trailmix16
Gunship -- MB-9C714570361113BB - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender -- MB-CA1348C15AEDBC4F - Taken by Vuze

Shepard

It feels the same but buildings are divided by time period. There's the colonial period where you use farms ranches and mines as the main source of industry. World War era introduces more military and entertainment buildings, Cold War brings Tourism and the Modern Era is bring lavish hotels, skyscrapers and entertainment buildings.

I really liked the era system, but it does somewhat limit you in the early game if you enjoy the tourism aspect. Speeches are also taken out but there's a radio host who makes comments and announcements on happenings and the buildings you've built. The only major problem is an artificial difficulty in the form of rebels, who can appear and rebel even when everyone is 100% happy.

It also adds an edict system, with options such as free rations, secret police, free healthcare, wi-fi, and hosting the olympics. There's also a simple legislation system where you can pick 1 of 3 options for a number of things like army education level.

Thanks foir the impressions. I've played 3, got 4 but couldnt get that much into it. Looks like this could be a nice shake up on things.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
KILLING FLOOR 2 - WWAUT - Lighting the fire and bringing the boom
26 June - [TW]Yoshiro

To kick things off this week, we hope everybody enjoyed our presentation at the PC Gaming Show at E3 last week. For those of you who may have missed it, here is the complete Killing Floor 2 segment:

Killing Floor 2 update - PC Gaming Show 2015

If you’d like a closer look at the Killing Floor 2 video we showed on stage check it out here!

Killing Floor 2 E3 2015 Trailer - The PC Gaming Show E3 2015

So let us talk a bit more about what we showed off during that video. For the next update we are working towards 2 new maps, 2 perks (Firebug and Demolitions), as well as new features (and feature improvements). Keep in mind that many of these items are still very much in development and are a work in progress. We will start with the one many had guessed based on previous coverage:

Firebug - BBQer extraordinaire, lover of everything that burns. Known tools of the trade:
Tier 1 - Caulk n’ Burn: Get close, get personal, burn its face off
Tier 2 - Trench Gun: Incendiary rounds make for a fiery start (and end) to most zeds
Tier 3 - Flamethrower: The classic burn baby burn
Grenade - Molotov : Area denial and bon party starter
Molotov1.gif

And onto explosive new developments (this is the juice bit and new information):

Demolitions - If overwhelming firepower isn’t working, you aren’t using enough. Known tools of the trade:
Tier 2 - C4
C4_Demo_Render.png

Tier 4 - RPG 7

Fans got a glimpse of one of our new upcoming maps, Evacuation Point. The site of a Danish last stand as people rushed to escape to sea to avoid a painful death against the incoming zed hoard.

ScreenShot00013.jpg
ScreenShot00016.jpg
ScreenShot00030.jpg
ScreenShot00032.jpg

And last but not least we showed off some cool new FleX gore tech that we’re working on with Nvidia. We’ll be talking about and showing much more of this tech in the near future. If you’re interested in a bit of a deeper dive into the technology check out this Nvidia blog from E3: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...oes-next-gen-with-nvidia-gameworks-physx-flex
PracticalLastGnu.gif

Nyoro SF

VC2 has a bigger grind to change classes. You have to find and use the drops with the characters you want to change to a certain class. It's the only annoying aspect of the game for me and can be a sore point for people that want to experiment or frequently change classes.

The new "classes" are either:
1) Weaponry from the last game now locked behind an arbitrary drop requirement
2) Shitty classes that don't do anything new and are handicaps/waste of turn
3) Incremental upgrades like Scout -> Scout Veteran -> Scout Elite which aren't different classes, just straight buffs, which hilariously enough is also locked behind the huge grind
4) Classes that completely break the balance of the game; I won't spoil anything for anyone willing to still play VC2 but telling the crouching/ducking system to go fuck itself probably wasn't the best way to design the game

EDIT: I forgot that Engineers are now 100% worthless because of the ridiculous health of your own armored units and that Armored Techs are now the minesweepers. <- acknowledged by the developers themselves lol

Tizoc

Lain

Just to give an impression of the the different casts and mood of the three games for those who don't know.

God bless the Design Archives, they're beautiful.

I have all 3 books, the first 1 twice. They are packed with so much information and designs, really awesome stuff.

Nyoro SF

Just to give an impression of the the different casts and mood of the three games for those who don't know.

God bless the Design Archives, they're beautiful.

I have all three
including the anime designs book, oh god why

Really the first book is the best one.

IMO VC3's designs are quite good from what's in the image.
VC2 is the weakest.

I'm halfway through VC3 and I really do like the character designs, they have so much breadth, life and character among the whole cast (shoutouts to Alfons). It still has more of an anime vibe than VC1 but it doesn't detract from the game at all, unlike VC2 where they pulled characters out of the anime garbage can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom