• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 II - Click the Monsters You Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

l2eEuiH.jpg

Haunted

Just to give an impression of the the different casts and mood of the three games for those who don't know.

God bless the Design Archives, they're beautiful.
1 has a clear, sensible vision. Not every single design is a winner, but it's beautiful art with thoughtful design and purpose.

2 is pandering bullshit.

3 they threw up their hands in the air and just said "fuck it, let's do whatever we want"

Annubis

I really love the practical and realistic everything in VC1.

Everyone is wearing a real uniform with good boots, padding, knives, extra clips and 'chitin' on the infantries concentrated on vital spots or articulations.

The color and lines on the uniforms and tanks even fool the eyes of the enemy to better hide the troops (look at the left-most tank)

Chariot

Context for the three game:
The unit there is supposed to look weird. They are a punishment group of misfits and criminals that is doing dirty work during the war of VC1. So they naturally havem ore whackos then the milita that has mostly ordinary people or the school that whatever.

I have all 3 books, the first 1 twice. They are packed with so much information and designs, really awesome stuff.

I have all three
including the anime designs book, oh god why

Really the first book is the best one.
I only have the first one. Will probably buy the others once I get the games on my PC. But yeah, they're gorgeous.
I really love the practical and realistic everything in VC1.

Everyone is wearing a real uniform with good boots, padding, knives, extra clips and 'chitin' how the infantries concentrated on vital spots or articulations.

The color and lines on the uniforms and tanks even fool the eyes of the enemy to better hide the troops (look at the left-most tank)
My favorite thing is that woman have tasteful practical uniforms too and except Rose everyone is wearing pants.

Arthea

those of you who haven't picked An Octave Higher during summer sale should begin to feel sorry, I'll post more at the later date, but damn if it wasn't nice surprise and I had suspicions that the game was good.

Cool of them to give a heads up.

Edit: I wish I had a faster internet. I'm still downloading Toukiden.

I'm kinda jelly, but seeing as I'm basically overwhelmed by games I want to play right now, maybe it is good that I couldn't afford Toukiden, it looks like fun, OTOH 30 fps... for a fast game, why?

5.7 hours into Arkham Knight... and only 2 of 4 steam cards have dropped. Incredibly slow drop rate? Bug? Cards stopped while sales of the game are suspended?

Arthea

5.7 hours into Arkham Knight... and only 2 of 4 steam cards have dropped. Incredibly slow drop rate? Bug? Cards stopped while sales of the game are suspended?

It's a new system, sometimes I get 4 cards overnight, ya... it sucks.
Now there is 2 hours delay before the first card drops for all games, and no devs shortened individual card drop times, so it's plain horrible.
I'm considering stopping buying games just because they have cards, it's no longer half so attractive as it was before.

Nah, it's been changed to 1 card every 2 hours since the refund debacle.

that is false, the delay is only before very first card dropping, then games have different card drop times as they had.

Saty

One step closer to a $0.50 microtransaction to get all the card drops you are eligible to per game. No more ruining playtime stats and keeping your PC on for idling. Win-win!

Also just got done chatting w/ a friend who just finished up Her Story (I finished it the first night I started playing it). He really, really liked it, but had 2 relatively key elements spoiled by reading things online first, so he felt the impact of the game was significantly diminished.

So yeah, if you are thinking of getting Her Story (and it's awesome), i'd either actively avoid spoilers until you do, or get it soon and play it soon, so you can discover some of those "wait... WHAT?" moments for yourself before they get spoiled.

Milamber

that is false, the delay is only before very first card dropping, then games have different card drop times as they had.

Really? My bad then. Could have sworn it was every 2 hours since one game I ran for like 8 hours gave me 4 cards. Assumed it was the same for all.

Lain

those of you who haven't picked An Octave Higher during summer sale should begin to feel sorry, I'll post more at the later date, but damn if it wasn't nice surprise and I had suspicions that the game was good.

I'm kinda jelly, but seeing as I'm basically overwhelmed by games I want to play right now, maybe it is good that I couldn't afford Toukiden, it looks like fun, OTOH 30 fps... for a fast game, why?

I picked An Octave Higher before sale ended!

It seems they tied game speed (also logic?) to fps (which is/was pretty normal in the console world?) and I guess reworking it to not be tied to fps would take a bigger commitment than just porting it as is. It is the reason for Akiba's Trip being 30 fps too, for example.
I'll see first hand how it is when it finally finishes downloading though. If it's constant 30 with no stutter and shit I'll be fine with it, just like with Akiba.
The supposedly 1080p max resolution is a bigger offender, at least for those people that have higher resolution monitors.

Arthea

There is another side effect to cards dropping rate change, as it takes in average two times more time for cards to drop, cards entering market rate will drop in the same way too, it won't affect games that already have thousands of cards dropped and in market before the change, until that amount is depleted but all other cards will rise in price, what can have another side effect (especially together with cooldown), card market can become less active, especially inbetween sales.

titch

Go on take radical roach a dares ya!!!!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 15 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (titch, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Battlepaths -- MB-2FE080454613F06B - Taken by Hektor. 2 entrants total.
Commando Jack -- MB-F8D07AF76A8D33D0 - Taken by Vuze. 1 entrants total.
iBomber Defense -- MB-F4E1173BEAFC77E7 - Taken by WinterDemons. 2 entrants total.
Make it indie! -- MB-D88D2FB23E3B6EDF - Taken by Deques. 1 entrants total.
bit Dungeon II -- MB-C9EA2DD408C6F82E - Taken by Madn. 1 entrants total.
Luminosity -- MB-3EDABA61A985C2AF - Taken by Saty. 2 entrants total.
Pretentious Game -- MB-7B478FEFA5031F6C - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 2 entrants total.
iBomber Defense Pacific -- MB-86D72358B04C64D6 - Taken by texhnolyze. 1 entrants total.
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising -- MB-F8ABBA937621EB92 - Taken by City 17. 3 entrants total.
Knights & Merchants -- MB-C939F9F0A3E8CB51 - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
R.O.O.T.S -- MB-2CB08E37B3D41626 - Taken by Lomax. 1 entrants total.
RADical ROACH Deluxe Edition -- MB-D9AF85B8FF1AB8BE - Taken by kurahador. 5 entrants total.
iBomber Attack -- MB-CECE9B8A9997AB98 - Taken by crazyrabbits. 1 entrants total.
The Inner World Soundtrack -- MB-51AEE45022EAE294 - Taken by dirtywhirlwind. 1 entrants total.
Final Dusk -- MB-2028EC01844EDF23 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 2 entrants total.

t1435364216z1.png

The_Monk

Finished Soul Gambler.

QaLR2hV.jpg

Steam Review: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198043835726/recommended/313020/

You are a young man called Faust. Your life is boring, your job is just decent enough to pay the bills and nothing exciting is going on. That is, until you met someone who can give you the chance to change your life at the cost of your soul.

Soul Gambler is a very short game that plays like a comic book/graphic novel. As you advance in the story you will have new ways of increasing or decreasing your soul. You can buy an easy way out from some dull activities or you can put yourself in a better situation at the cost of a little percentage of your soul. It may be possible for you to meet your soulmate, getting in a fight or witness the loss of someone you may know. It will all be depending on the choices you make.

There’s isn’t much more to be said about Soul Gambler. You can finish the game in about one hour and there’s some replay value if you want to see a different ending or make different decisions through the chapters. I purchased Soul Gambler at the 2015 Steam Summer Sale and it was well worth the price I paid for.

The music is relaxing and quite simple, same as the gameplay elements as you just need to click in order for the conversations to proceed as well making your choices when they appear. If you just want a quick game to play for a couple of hours with no difficulty attached at all I recommend giving Soul Gambler a fair chance.

Since I purchased the Soul Gambler: Dark Arts Edition, it came with the DLC as well.

5vaVRgN.jpg

Steam Review: http://steamcommunity.com//profiles/76561198043835726/recommended/313760/

I got the Soul Gambler: Artbook & Soundtrack as part of the “Soul Gambler: Dark Arts Edition” pack during the 2015 Steam Summer Sale. For the highly discounted price, it’s indeed a nice and fair bundle.

It contains 36 tracks in MP3 format and some of them can be relaxing when using as background noise while you are doing other side activities like cleaning your space or something similar.

It also includes one wallpaper in 6 different resolutions and one Artbook with 76 pages containing the art of the game, the cast, the different locations and the different environments as well. If you like having some digital goodies like the soundtrack of a game and some art books I can recommend grabbing the bundle I mentioned, especially if you can purchase with a deep discount like I did.

Arthea

I picked An Octave Higher before sale ended!

It seems they tied game speed (also logic?) to fps (which is/was pretty normal in the console world?) and I guess reworking it to not be tied to fps would take a bigger commitment than just porting it as is. It is the reason for Akiba's Trip being 30 fps too, for example.
I'll see first hand how it is when it finally finishes downloading though. If it's constant 30 with no stutter and shit I'll be fine with it, just like with Akiba.
The supposedly 1080p max resolution is a bigger offender, at least for those people that have higher resolution monitors.

you won't be sorry!

ya I know that, it still sucks. Akiba... is kinda clunky to begin with so 30 fps is lesser of annoyances, or maybe not... I need to play more to be sure, but right now it's not in my top priorities.
1080p max resolution doesn't faze me, I can live with that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There is another side effect to cards dropping rate change, as it takes in average two times more time for cards to drop, cards entering market rate will drop in the same way too, it won't affect games that already have thousands of cards dropped and in market before the change, until that amount is depleted but all other cards will rise in price, what can have another side effect (especially together with cooldown), card market can become less active, especially inbetween sales.

I don't think the change is going to have much of an impact on prices. Sure, more effort is required, but I don't see that fazing most people given it's still "free money".

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I don't think the change is going to have much of an impact on prices. Sure, more effort is required, but I don't see that fazing most people given it's still "free money".

That's true, but there are also a lot of games that take less than two hours to complete meaning the average Steam user won't get any "free money" cards at all. I think one of the reasons Idle Master has become so popular is that I see people pitching the idea to their friends like "dude, you are literally leaving money on the table if you don't use this" and most people have no idea.

Of course we're all going to play or idle our games to get all the free money we can, but it's such a ridiculous notion and several steps between you and free money that the average user isn't going to bother with it typically.

Salsa

bro bro bro mac demarco chemical brothers and hot chip playin in uruguay BRO

jara bein sold from mainz cause cavani-gate BRO

steam news: im gonna play the witcher 3

food news: I have cold pizza

Arthea

I'm not talking about people not wanting money, I'm talking there will be twice less cards on the market during the same periods of time, because it is not possible for them to get on the marked at some rate than before, and as steam levels are limitless, people still will be leveling, only with less cards on the market, meaning prices will rise, what also result in lesser sales and longer times to sell cards. You know, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Sometimes I think Valve tends to not to think things through, they find an easiest solution and jump on it, then again, maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sometimes I think Valve tends to not to think things through, they find an easiest solution and jump on it, then again, maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture.

I'm almost positive Valve considered this. Any increase in prices means additional revenue for them. It's easy to manipulate supply and demand when you control scarcity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom