• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 II - Click the Monsters You Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maniac

Banned
The wheels are giant tasers and the cannon shoots beanbag rounds.

60 mm beanbag rounds.

Pretty sure a 60 mm beanbag round would rip a person in half. :p

Sounds legit though.
i think in the game batman actually shoots them with a stun gun and they'd bounce away or some shit before he can run them over

but don't quote me on it because i could totally just be imagining that in my head

I totally just quoted you on it.

But that would be fabulous. lol

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Dev Diary: How it all began

How did LEGO® Worlds happen?

Well, the short answer is that it didn’t happen on a whim or overnight. In fact, it took a while for the planets to align…

Despite the runaway success of our LEGO videogames, we have always been mindful of an occasional commentary bemoaning the lack of player creativity – objectives are fixed, progression is gated, building is scripted, so much smashing and collecting.

But these things give us the framework to tell and have fun with great stories and famous characters. So we layer on co-op, Free Play, hubs and outstanding fan service that we feel allows the player to express themselves within that universe.

In fact, at TT and LEGO we steadfastly believe that creative play comes in different flavours, with the most important ingredient being the feeling of playing with LEGO.

Within that core framework we have always tried to offer new experiences – of particular relevance here are the open world gameplay first seen in LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes, and the comprehensive level creator system from LEGO Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues and LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, which we were always looking to revisit in some way because it had so much unfulfilled potential.

Eventually, it seemed like there was finally an opportunity to put all this tech together in a new way, and make something more open-ended and on a grander scale.

Meanwhile, away from the development studio at Knutsford, The LEGO Company itself continued to pursue various digital creative sandbox experiments, and had already made moves onto mobile.

The direct collaboration started when a concept video from LEGO and a push from TT’s creative management collided and the reaction formed what became known as The Plan. Naturally, this spectacular event occurred spontaneously in a futuristic chamber filled with bricks, code and particles of imagination, and I’m pretty sure that nobody can prove otherwise.

The Plan was a three-way approach to building new experiences for players. First, we would develop a digital-physical project with LEGO that aimed to take Life of George to the next level – this became LEGO Fusion on mobile, from which all parties learned a lot. Meanwhile, prototype work would begin on a “toys to life” videogame, which was to become a little thing called LEGO Dimensions, featuring some incredible mash-ups. And finally, gameplay concepts for the procedural sandbox experience would begin to take shape. All, of course, while regular game development continued.

Work on procedural world generation code began in early 2014, while the basic principles, definitions and internal logic were set out in a game design document. Worlds would have a life of their own, landscape bricks and models would have different properties and restrictions, the game would represent real LEGO parts, models and sets, and the player would have access to a range of powerful creative tools.

Due to the more experimental nature of the project we always felt that a new approach to development was appropriate. We would release the core experience, and with our own plans in place but not fixed we would take it from there with the community’s involvement. In December 2014, a closed beta known as “R&D Project 23” was successfully rolled out to WB’s internal studios for initial testing and feedback.

Work continued steadily with a small team at LEGO and TT Games, picking up a proper name and a logo on the way. LEGO Worlds was finally released into the wild…

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
This racing simulator costs more than a car but you'll still want it

sTD1YuN.jpg

Started playing Dark Matter (no, not Dark Matter, Dark Matter. Not sure this cleared anything up. Not this Dark Matter, this Dark Matter. Hmm. Not the space Dark Matter, the... space Dark Matter. Fine, the Metroidvania Dark Matter, not the shmup Dark Matter).

There's a new TV show that started up a few weeks ago called Dark Matter that you simply have to watch now. It's Canadian sci fi going for a Firefly kind of theme. It seems fairly terrible. I'm sure you'll love it :p

So yesterday I played through Dreamfall Chapters part 3 and it wasn't very good. At least something finally happens with Zoe, but Kian's part was useless for the most parte once again.

How is the series progressing so far? I backed the game on Kickstarter but for some reason I haven't actually started playing it. You reckon I should get to it or just wait for all the episodes to come out?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there any way to gift/sell steam credit that I already have in my wallet? I got refunded £94 after preordering the steam link+controller and was expecting a refund to my debit card but they gave me store credit instead. Tried CS and they don't seem to give a shit.

is there any way to gift/sell steam credit that I already have in my wallet? I got refunded £94 after preordering the steam link+controller and was expecting a refund to my debit card but they gave me store credit instead. Tried CS and they don't seem to give a shit.

There's no way as far as I know.

madjoki

It's actually an option you can choose during refund request.

6npUaDM.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Short of buying £94 worth of gifts, no.

There's a new TV show that started up a few weeks ago called Dark Matter that you simply have to watch now. It's Canadian sci fi going for a Firefly kind of theme. It seems fairly terrible. I'm sure you'll love it :p

How bad for Canadian sci-fi are we talking? Are we talking "Kevin Sorbo as a starship captain" bad? Or are we talking "Homeboys in Outer Space" bad?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Blue Rose -- MB-D0611CD1E94EF2ED - Taken by redlacs. 1 entrants total.
X-Note -- MB-9372F8757660D062 - Taken by darkchewie. 1 entrants total.
Super Chain Crusher Horizon -- MB-444F419945D93AB7 - Taken by alr1ght. 2 entrants total.
Project Root -- MB-2E54088E11D8D4C3 - Taken by Milamber. 2 entrants total.
Go! Go! Nippon! ~My First Trip to Japan~ -- MB-BFD9AD7EA70DC649 - Taken by Mixed2k. 2 entrants total.

t1435581862z1.png

MUnited83

For you.
Dayum at that Indie Gala Monday today. Two expensive VNs that are recent for 2$? Don't mind if I do. Not the smartest thing to do by the Higurashi devs, but ok lol

They're not wrong.

Actually...chargeback scams can't really be avoided by following the guidelines.

MUnited83

For you.
Yup, the only ways to get scammed is to trade with unsupported methods outside of steam like paypal moneys.

Is that still possible? Take back what i wrote above then.

Yep, it is still possible. While the whole "1 month before trading" rule mitigates a bit of the risk, a chargeback can still be iniated for up to three months after the initial transaction depending on the payment method.

Arthea

Higurashi (lowest it has been 5,4€) and eden (lowest it has been 8€)... in a 2€ bundle?
MangaGamer makes no sense
and I had to buy eden, hadn't I? damn... I wish I bought Oceanhorn instead now.

Lain

Higurashi (lowest it has been 5,4€) and eden (lowest it has been 8€)... in a 2€ bundle?
MangaGamer makes no sense
and I had to buy eden, hadn't I? damn... I wish I bought Oceanhorn instead now.

Look at it this way, every Eden* purchase is supporting the translation of that other Minori VN (as well as making new chapter of that other Minori VN).

Higurashi shouldn't have been in a bundle so soon though.

And since I didn't see anyone actually post the list:

Indiegala Every Monday Bundle 66 said:
eden* (STEAM) + STEAM TRADING CARDS
Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Ch.1 Onikakushi (STEAM) + STEAM TRADING CARDS
X-note (STEAM) + STEAM TRADING CARDS
Go! Go! Nippon! ~My First Trip to Japan~ (STEAM) + STEAM TRADING CARDS
The Clans - Saga of the Twins Deluxe Edition (STEAM) + STEAM TRADING CARDS
Blue Rose (STEAM) + STEAM TRADING CARDS
Super Chain Crusher Horizon (STEAM)
Project Root (STEAM)

Jawmuncher

That Indiegala bundle is sick! 2 bucks for all of that is a no brainier. Hell Eden* or Higurashi by themselves is worth more than that by themselves.

Since more people have played Higurashi here I would like to recommend Eden*. It's a very nice and while dark, still a sweet story. Well worth the read, since it's a kinetic novel so no choices need to be made.

So Gat out of Hell is literally 4-5 hours of side missions until you reach the end?

If the story stuff wasn't as interesting as it has been i swear I would find this offensive.

Arthea

That Indiegala bundle is sick! 2 bucks for all of that is a no brainier. Hell Eden* or Higurashi by themselves is worth more than that by themselves.

Since more people have played Higurashi here I would like to recommend Eden*. It's a very nice and while dark, still a sweet story. Well worth the read, since it's a kinetic novel so no choices need to be made.

Ya, it is an amazing bundle, unfortunately for me, I already bought all them games and played most.

Jawmuncher

So Gat out of Hell is literally 4-5 hours of side missions until you reach the end?

If the story stuff wasn't as interesting as it has been i swear I would find this offensive.

The musical and the ending(s) are the best part of it. I would have felt cheated if I had bought it for more than the 5 bucks it was during the GameStop price mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom