• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 II - Click the Monsters You Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
i'd say it's a pretty bad idea to put the monster of your horror game in the steam art, i don't get why devs do it

isn't there supposed to be some tension as to what the actual monster looks like :/

There's literally over 20 ghosts in DreadOut that all work very differently, and the one they use in the art is one most players won't meet as it's in a pretty well-hidden optional area.

Also, ironically, the ghost they show in question in the art is invisible in the game and only appears when it attacks you, and is only encountered once in the game in this completely optional spot.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
There's a lot of ghosts in the game besides that one, and if I remember correctly the one in that header image is miss-able, so it isn't too bad.

EDIT: What dusky said~

lHW7yBX.png
Dang. Imgur not loading at all for me. ISP blocked I think.
Any mirror?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Shenmue made QTEs popular

...why do we worship it again? >_>

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
There's a lot of ghosts in the game besides that one, and if I remember correctly the one in that header image is miss-able, so it isn't too bad.

EDIT: What dusky said~

Yai, I recall this argument coming up before, but I think people think, "Indie game, probably means 1 or 2 monsters," but something DreadOut is very good at is variety, and that includes their ghosts. there's quite a few of them, you don't encounter any ghost more than twice, and each ghost usually you only encounter once, and they all behave and you deal with them in radically different ways.

I want to say more but I do think it's best if you know as little as possible and go into it. Counting in my head though, DreadOut currently has 24 types of ghost in it, all of which behave really differently (like, more than you're likely expecting), and there's also a upcoming paid DLC expansion late this year for a free roam mode with some new locationsm open-world design, and backer-made ghosts which will bump the number up to 34 I believe.

Kagemusha

I put in a refund request for DreadOut. I got to the first puzzle with three candles. I snapped some photos but couldn't figure out what the game wanted me to solve, so I turned back and found a ghost. I snapped some photos as it murdered me. I might play it if it ends up in a HumbleBundle. I'm sure it's good. But I've got too many other games to play.

Also put in a refund for Geometry Dash (Too Hard)
and Reassembly (Wasn't Fun)

Eila

Positive reception on steam \_(ツ)_/
ModBot said:
Instructions for Eila:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Eila, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

The Adventures of Tree -- MB-55928830188824AC - Taken by dave is ok

MUnited83

For you.
in which they said nothing about third party investors or anything?

sure, you can 'assume' stuff but that's exactly what being unclear is, having the people you're talking to 'assume'

because we're in a forum and you discuss shit in a forum (and post anime gifs)?

when you say "just vote with your wallet" you might as well not say anything at all

shenmue's pretty weird, and i'd say it aged awfully but i played it on an emulator that ran pretty bad so maybe it's more playable now

it's like the talky parts of deadly premonition i guess? or something?

just a really weird game

i'd say it's a pretty bad idea to put the monster of your horror game in the steam art, i don't get why devs do it

isn't there supposed to be some tension as to what the actual monster looks like :/

Wait, what's here to discuss exactly?
Shenmue III is a thing.
Shenmue is on Kickstarter, and has outsider funding, including Sony. All this has been very clearly disclosed before 24 hours of the Kickstarter has passed and every backer that is somehow unhappy with that can withdrawn their pledge during the 29 days that are left on it.
It's pretty straightforward. There's nothing to discuss.

hmmm...must resist urge to buy Trails on GOG for $9.99 (that's the price I'd expect it to be on Steam if it's actually a deal in the next couple days)

Only thing I'm afraid of is the weekend deals just being encores from the sale already and no new deals past tomorrow

Sch1sm

I put in a refund request for DreadOut. I got to the first puzzle with three candles. I snapped some photos but couldn't figure out what the game wanted me to solve, so I turned back and found a ghost. I snapped some photos as it murdered me. I might play it if it ends up in a HumbleBundle. I'm sure it's good. But I've got too many other games to play.

Also put in a refund for Geometry Dash (Too Hard)
and Reassembly (Wasn't Fun)

It is pretty good, worth more than a potential bundle extra that'll be buried at the bottom of your library.
Did you snap photos of the candles?

zkylon

zkylewd
There's literally over 20 ghosts in DreadOut that all work very differently, and the one they use in the art is one most players won't meet as it's in a pretty well-hidden optional area.

Also, ironically, the ghost they show in question in the art is invisible in the game and only appears when it attacks you, and is only encountered once in the game in this completely optional spot.
that's interesting, wasn't a remark specifically about this game but horror games in general, but good to know

still a horror game so not the most relevant to my interests, and i can't get over that stupid see-through denim skirt

i think it's not supposed to be like that, but it irks me to no end

Shenmue made QTEs popular

...why do we worship it again? >_>

funny voice acting

Wait, what's here to discuss exactly?
Shenmue III is a thing.
Shenmue is on Kickstarter, and has outsider funding, including Sony. All this has been very clearly disclosed before 24 hours of the Kickstarter has passed and every backer that is somehow unhappy with that can withdrawn their pledge during the 29 days that are left on it.
It's pretty straightforward. There's nothing to discuss.
i mean, you seem bizarrely incapable of putting yourself in a place to participate in the conversation so yeah, nothing left for us to discuss

Vamphuntr

hmmm...must resist urge to buy Trails on GOG for $9.99 (that's the price I'd expect it to be on Steam if it's actually a deal in the next couple days)

Only thing I'm afraid of is the weekend deals just being encores from the sale already and no new deals past tomorrow

I'm afraid it was the deal we didn't unlock for the monster game. So far we failed to unlock one and the tags were anime, rpg, turn based and the Neptunia games were on sale already. Hoping I'm wrong.

It just struck me that GOG's user reviews are a thousand times more helpful than Steam's user reviews. It's weird that a varied and helpful variety of reviews float to the top for GOG but not Steam. The only thing I can think of is that "funny" rating screwing everything up, skewing "helpful" versus "non-helpful" in the worst way possible.

baterism

Wooo morning gaf! For non apparent reason I feel so pumped today.
Perhaps it's the coffee and chocolate cake that I ate for breakfast.
header.jpg

DreadOut is $3.74 right now.

If you are looking for a good, creative, older-school styled horror game, give DreadOut a try. It's an Indonesian indie game stylized after Fatal Frame. While it doesn't look the best and has a few technical bumps, as well as some hammy (I'd say enjoyably so) acting, it makes up for it in sheer creativity, execution, and atmosphere. Full of all sorts of ideas during its 4-6 hours course, as well as stock-full of secrets.
It's good to see Indonesian game doing well. I'm getting one for
local-
GA, I hate horror :x

Polygon comment on S3, man at this point Polygon purpose seem only to make Kotaku look good (I like Kotaku, btw). And apparantly Sega is still cooler that I thought. Except, if they are going to cancel it when it nearing finish, you know, just for the lulz.

Why has nobody created Shenmue 1&2 HD petition?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yo, Palestinian gaffer with the unpronounceable name, I dont speak Palestinian >_>

And if that's not Palestinian I apologize, I'm going by your profile, whoever you are :/

Vamphuntr

I don't think anyone needs to make a petition for Shenmue I and II HD lol. If there is no conflict with Sega or other licensing problems it will probably happen.

MUnited83

For you.
that's interesting, wasn't a remark specifically about this game but horror games in general, but good to know

still a horror game so not the most relevant to my interests, and i can't get over that stupid see-through denim skirt

i think it's not supposed to be like that, but it irks me to no end

funny voice acting

i mean, you seem bizarrely incapable of putting yourself in a place to participate in the conversation so yeah, nothing left for us to discuss

I mean, the conversation is alike to discussing the weather:

"Boy it sure is sunny today!"
"Yes it is!"

There's no point.

I remember years ago like in 2008 or something that shenmue was rumored to be on xbla,around same time perfect dark was which ended up being true. wonder what happened, check it out:

Shenmue-XBLA-Leak.jpg

Kagemusha

It is pretty good, worth more than a potential bundle extra that'll be buried at the bottom of your library.
Did you snap photos of the candles?

I could get one candle to extinguish but it would immediately light itself. I guess that was why I put in for a refund. I could tell it was a trick candle but the game wasn't telling me why the candles were there, nor was the game telling me if I was supposed to light all three or get the one lit candle to go out. Did I need to find something to put it out? Was I supposed to use my camera? The easiest solution to make the candles go away was to ask for a refund.

Does anyone here play WildStar? I like the art style for this game. So damn cute.

I played it for 2 months, but since I'm not a very good MMO player I stopped paying the sub. It's going F2P in the near future, so I'll be back then, the gameplay is a lot more fast paced than "normal" MMOs and the world is really pretty.

Shadownet

Banned
I played it for 2 months, but since I'm not a very good MMO player I stopped paying the sub. It's going F2P in the near future, so I'll be back then, the gameplay is a lot more fast paced than "normal" MMOs and the world is really pretty.

I'll see you when you get back? :D I just got it from Humble Bundle. Can't wait to try it out. What race are you? I'm trying the Aurin.
Just as soon as I can pick a name for it.. lol

Sch1sm

I could get one candle to extinguish but it would immediately light itself. I guess that was why I put in for a refund. I could tell it was a trick candle but the game wasn't telling me why the candles were there, nor was the game telling me if I was supposed to light all three or get the one lit candle to go out. Did I need to find something to put it out? Was I supposed to use my camera? The easiest solution to make the candles go away was to ask for a refund.

You're meant to extinguish 3 candles with your camera. Use the actual camera. Each of these candles is isolated and by itself. I never looked back to see if they lit up again. Right after you get all 3 it's darkness and the frights commence.
It is a tricky one at first. I didn't get it either and understand the frustration. There's no guidance whatsoever.

I'll see you when you get back? :D I just got it from Humble Bundle. Can't wait to try it out. What race are you? I'm trying the Aurin.
Just as soon as I can pick a name for it.. lol

Human Exile. All the races are pretty good looking in this game though, it was a tough choice.

Hopefully they'll roll out the f2p stuff soon, you can bet that I'll jump in the moment they do that.
You can get a sub with ingame cash, but I wasn't good at grinding so I didn't try that.

chronomac

A producer from Robomodo is on the Giant Bomb stream and he just said that the power-ups and projectiles are only available in one, specific mode in Tony Hawk 5. It's not a regular thing. He also seems aware that the controls were not perfect in the HD remake.

So I guess that's promising.

Sch1sm

So there's really no point reaching a high level in Monster game right

I got like 200XP off the badge for level 1 million in the game. Aside from that, no. Just get your cards, if you want them, craft the regular badge, you're not losing anything - you still get all the community rewards.

Rocket League jsut got dethroned as #1 on my wishlist

Am I a terrible person for ranking everything in my wishlist by price rather than want? Probably.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You get badges!

as in your summer badge immediately levels up or you mean cards?

I got like 200XP off the badge for level 1 million in the game. Aside from that, no. Just get your cards, if you want them, craft the regular badge, you're not losing anything - you still get all the community rewards.

Wait you can still get cards after the mandatory drops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom