• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 II - Click the Monsters You Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game development costs have dropped quite a bit for mid-market games since the 90's, and we know that Ys Net isn't building their own engine (which ate up a fair chunk of costs back in the day), and they probably have a firm idea of what they want out of this.

Either way, it's a blessing for gamers.

MUnited83

For you.
doubt any of this money was needed, it's just the whole "proving there's a market" deal again, consultants make sales projections or whatever from the kickstarter numbers and it just makes the investors cough up the actual money used to finance the game

i've been saying this is a shitty practice all the way back to that forsaken swat-like game back during the early days of the kickstarter craze

I don't see why. It's very obvious that 2m are not even close to enough to make the game. Everyone that thought like at least 10 seconds about it knows that it's very easy to figure it out.

Jawmuncher

Game development costs have dropped quite a bit for mid-market games since the 90's, and we know that Ys Net isn't building their own engine (which ate up a fair chunk of costs back in the day), and they probably have a firm idea of what they want out of this.

Either way, it's a blessing for gamers.

It's not a blessing until those of us who haven't played 1&2 can do so without running through hoops.

zkylon

zkylewd
i mean to me it's pretty damn condemning that this is all the way at the bottom:

Can you make an open world game for just $2 million?
No, we cannot make an open world game for $2 million. Shenmue will be produced using both the funds raised from the Kickstarter and through other funding sources already secured by Ys Net Inc. We are very sorry, but due to contractual obligations, details of outside investments will not be disclosed.

Last days took a toll on me. Slept like a dead man almost all day.

Realized that SE didn't talk about PC version of Type-0or Duscae Demo at all. Guess they're still a long time off.
Don't know. All I want is bot-match-mayhem with sci-fi ships and vehicles + snazzy effects. It looks to deliver on that front. Seems to fit my bill.
202dd9.gif
3f3c41.gif

Well, now everyone who was waiting on Arma can experience THE GLORY
Late as hell, but I feel I should add to the Arma III HYPE (get this game seriously duders)
Waiting for a tenner less.
+ DkS1 style parries/backstabs/movement
Welp.

I'm ready.
Awesome news! Parried all the time in DS1 but it felt awful in DS2.
Anyone played Grav? It is on my wishlist, but somehow the negative reviews turn me off.
I remember watching a video of Grav by Phawx sometime last here.
Here it is.
Microsoft employees on twitter say it's "Gears of War Ultimate Edition" which is just the first.
Oh dang. I mistook Ultimate Edition for the whole trilogy :/
Same time release, I love Hello Games.
187345.gif

Shadownet

Banned
Alright zky, you don't have to buy Shenmue 3 if you think it's such a shitty practice. I'll be enjoying it in the future. I'm just glad it's coming out.

Anyone can say that they want Shenmue 3, Sony basically told people put your money where your mouth is. I'm fine with that. If such a 'wanted' game doesn't reach 2 millions then it probably shouldn't be made.

If it wasn't going to reach it's goal. People would have gotten their money back anyway, so I don't see what the problem is.

It's not a blessing until those of us who haven't played 1&2 can do so without running through hoops.

It's not a blessing until those of us who haven't played 1&2 can do so without running through hoops.[/QUOTE]"]Here you go.

Jawmuncher

i mean to me it's pretty damn condemning that this is all the way at the bottom:

Yeah the whole situation is odd. I completely understand everyone who is confused or questions the way this is set up. We shouldn't just go "well it can't be made for that much be happy it's funded/deal with it".

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Thanks for the write up. Thinking about getting the game. Though a friend of mine told me since I didn't enjoy Battlefield cause of it realism. I won't enjoy Arma.
I dunno... Battlefiend has "realism" aspects, but it's not really and doesn't expect you to handle situations in a realistic manner. ARMA is full realism as far as possible, but also expects you to handle situations like they are real rather than a team deathmatch game.

Btw what's your GPU if you don't mind me asking.
R9 270X 4GB. I think this uses nvidia physx and I'm not sure if it's on all the time or disabled for other cards. If the former, you may get a boost around vehicles from the official hardware support, but I think the main issue is my CPU since I'm on a Phenom II X4 955. It just can't process all that land at once.

MUnited83

For you.
"With your help, we can #SaveShenmue and rejoin Ryo and our favorite characters on this new adventure!"

"If Shenmue 3 was going to get made, I wanted to make it with the fans. Through Kickstarter, I knew that could happen. Together, with Shenmue fans everywhere, I knew we could build the game that the series deserves."

"If we do not reach our funding goal, Shenmue 3 will not go forward."

cmon

i mean, they mention "other sources" in the faq way at the bottom but tell me that's not misleading

And if they didn't reach their funding goal, Shenmue 3 really wouldn't go forward. That's why the Kickstarter even exists in the first place.
The game is getting made because it's fanbase is supporting it, even if most of the money is not coming from them. It's really simple.

So they disclose they are getting other types of funding right on the page and that's somehow condemning? Wut

yuraya

So that backwards compatibility thing for Xbox one is actually emulation. That is really great thing MS did.

Wouldn't it be possible for MS to actually increase resolution and framerate in those games over time? So as time goes..lets say MS releases new Xbox console in 2020. Emulation continues to improve to the point where people will be able to play 360 version of mass effect 1 on new console in higher res and framerate. That is a possibility right? People are already saying that loading times getting improved and there is less texture pop in. The big company that MS is finally putting their resources to some really great use. That is one of the coolest console related announcements for E3 ever. It has so much potential. I am impressed with Phil Spencer.

pahamrick

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I haven't been following, but wasn't the whole point of the kickstarter to prove that there was interest? I thought Sony didn't sign on to help until after they met the goal.

Anteater

You are paying $30 for shenmue, and you're getting shenmue, that's all there is to it right, I thought that's how every kickstarter works >.>

So that backwards compatibility thing for Xbox one is actually emulation. That is really great thing MS did.

Wouldn't it be possible for MS to actually increase resolution and framerate in those games over time? So as time goes..lets say MS releases new Xbox console in 2020. Emulation continues to improve to the point where people will be able to play 360 version of mass effect 1 on new console in higher res and framerate. That is a possibility right? People are already saying that loading times getting improved and there is less texture pop in. The big company that MS is finally putting their resources to some really great use. That is one of the coolest console related announcements for E3 ever. It has so much potential. I am impressed with Phil Spencer.

Yes, it should be possible. It seems like every game comes with it's own version of the emulator attached, so they could tweak each to support higher res and higher framerates without breaking emulation in other games.

MUnited83

For you.

I doubt their emulation tools are that powerful. That said, the tech used on it seems to be quite impressive and it's quite a feat to have a software emulator running this good and so early on. And yeah, Phil Spencer has really turned Microsoft around. Guy's been doing all the right moves lately. So much better than that idiot Mattrick and his plainly anti-used games anti-backwards compatibility mentality.
There's not a single exclusive on the One that really interest me so far, but I have to say that the BC news(provided the list of compatible games grows at a steady rate) and the Rare collection are actually making me consider picking up a Xbox One somewhere in the future.

everything is not fine, 2m is obviously nowhere near enough the money that would be needed to fund a game like shenmue and sony/sega/publishers/investors are the ones actually financing this thing

and unlike that castlevania one that actually says "we're getting most of the money from investors", this one doesn't even mention that

it's really bad

This is my main grip really, they could been straightforward about it from the very beginning but instead they waited until the very end to clarify that the money thrown at the project was going to be tied to an external publisher (I know 2m and all that not enough money to fund the game) Weren't backers of the OR pretty mad about the facebook acquisition? That's kind of like i feel after basically pre-ordering this game, but whatever.

Jazz573

After the 30 days thing is over. Can I go on Kickstarter and add more money to it? I backed $30 cause money is tight right now.

Not sure. Sometimes projects will use Backerkit, which allows you to change your pledge or include addons. In that case there's a lockdown date (In my experience, oftentimes the lockdown date can be several months after the Kickstarter), and after that you'll be charged. If it doesn't use Backerkit, than you won't be able to, unless there are other similar sites to Backerkit, and the project uses it.

MUnited83

For you.
You are paying $30 for shenmue, and you're getting shenmue, that's all there is to it right, I thought that's how every kickstarter works >.>
This is my take as well. All this "I NEED TO KNOW WHERE THE MONEY IS COMING FROM" is frankly quite weird.

This is my main grip really, they could been straightforward about it from the very beginning but instead they waited until the very end to clarify that the money thrown at the project was going to be tied to an external publisher (I know 2m and all that not enough money to fund the game) Weren't backers of the OR pretty mad about the facebook acquisition? That's kind of like i feel after basically pre-ordering this game, but whatever.

Backers of the OR complaining about facebook aqquisition make no sense whatsoever. They backed the devkit. They got the devkit. They used the devkit. The devkit is still theirs. All of this before the facebook aqquisition. It has no influence on what they backed.

I played it back in 2013 when backers got their steam keys. At that point it had fewer things than the ks pitch demo lol.

Not much help I know :p

Well that's... hrm. Thanks for the info, in any case!

Video would probably answer my questions better anyways, so I suppose my my quest for WftOW footage begins now.

yuraya

I doubt their emulation tools are that powerful. That said, the tech used on it seems to be quite impressive and it's quite a feat to have a software emulator running this good and so early on. And yeah, Phil Spencer has really turned Microsoft around. Guy's been doing all the right moves lately. So much better than that idiot Mattrick and his plainly anti-used games anti-backwards compatibility mentality.
There's not a single exclusive on the One that really interest me so far, but I have to say that the BC news(provided the list of compatible games grows at a steady rate) and the Rare collection are actually making me consider picking up a Xbox One somewhere in the future.

Its nice to see xbox getting stomped by the competition. It brings out the desperation in them and do all these good things. Its starting to have good effect pc gamers as well.

What if Phil goes full crazy and releases that emulator for Windows 10? They could allow pc gamers to buy digital 360 games and they emulate them the same way. I would actually be okay with them making their own storefront in that case. It would make sense and have significant purpose.

rtcn63

Steam | June 2015 II - Scary Monsters (And Super Cliques)

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse isn't likely to drop below $15 during the sale being so new, is it?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
My new jam is downloading 50 games and playing them for 10-20mins, just to see how / what they are.

Surprisingly fun.

For anyone who has been following the news on Steam Controller, has Valve mentioned if the controller is still hackable? Like is it still possible to switch out the buttons and analog stick?

If not then I wonder if it has to do with costs? I was thinking that a hackable version might cost as much as the new elite controller that MS is introducing.

Nabs

Had a good time with Distance tonight. I'm excited to give the Workshop a spin soon.

Oh, and every game needs a custom soundtrack option. The game will filter your music depending on your location and car health. It's good stuff. I don't think this has been implemented yet, but it'll also sync up with objects in the level: https://vine.co/v/O36AiqJpg3v

My new jam is downloading 50 games and playing them for 10-20mins, just to see how / what they are.

Surprisingly fun.

Wasn't there another person on NeoGAF who did this last year and posted impressions after an hour's play?

If you ever have the time then could you post impressions of your short plays? :p

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Why is Command of Heroes 2 page such a fucking mess?

The page itself has fifteen million listings: http://store.steampowered.com/app/231430/

The DLC page for the game only lists 4 pieces of DLC. I have a bunch of dlc that doesn't show up in here: http://store.steampowered.com/dlc/231430/

One of these DLCs that don't show up is present on the game page, the "Company of Heroes 2 - The Western Front Armies": http://store.steampowered.com/sub/40569/

However, only the package shows up on the main game's page. I have one of the DLC in that package, but not the other. I thought the other pack wasn't available by itself on Steam, but it is, not assigned to the game's main page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/287370/

So, while that doesn't show up anywhere on the main game DLC Page, this shows up: http://store.steampowered.com/app/323230

However, that's a DLC for the OTHER Company of Heroes 2 game, Ardennes Assault, not the main Company of Heroes 2 game (where it shows up as DLC).

....what?

i hope we get a shenmue 1 and 2 hd collection so i can buy it and see what the hype is about. cause i've seen gameplay and I'm not seeing whats the big deal. but then again i felt the same way about fallout 3 until i actually got my hands on it

zkylon

zkylewd
Alright zky, you don't have to buy Shenmue 3 if you think it's such a shitty practice. I'll be enjoying it in the future. I'm just glad it's coming out.

i'm glad it's coming out too, i don't care for the series (my only experience with shenmue is laughing and laughing over the broken english), but i guess it's good for the ppl that care

lame way of engaging in conversation tho

YOU DONT AGREE WITH ME DEN DONT BUY EET

Yeah the whole situation is odd. I completely understand everyone who is confused or questions the way this is set up. We shouldn't just go "well it can't be made for that much be happy it's funded/deal with it".
yup, pretty much

And if they didn't reach their funding goal, Shenmue 3 really wouldn't go forward. That's why the Kickstarter even exists in the first place.
The game is getting made because it's fanbase is supporting it, even if most of the money is not coming from them. It's really simple.
it's anything but simple and there are many debate worthy issues in this kickstarter campaign:
- advertising it during e3 with the backing of a major console holder
- it only mentions investors in a small blurb at the bottom of the page (that you have to click on)
- misrepresentation of game development costs
- using kickstarter as market research

saying it's all thanks to the fans is having a very narrow view of what's actually happening here, and i say it as someone that loves kickstarter

So they disclose they are getting other types of funding right on the page and that's somehow condemning? Wut
it never says it explicitly anywhere unless you click on something in the faq, they're almost hiding it by putting it at the very bottom of the campaign page

disclosure would be mentioning it in a place you can find it easily, like how about the video?

zkylon

zkylewd
Isnt Inafune actually doing the same? IIRC he said in one of those videos the KS is just there to show his investors that people want a new "Castelevania" game.

i've been against this practice from the beginning, although here it's worse because it's almost hidden

Sch1sm

For anyone who has been following the news on Steam Controller, has Valve mentioned if the controller is still hackable? Like is it still possible to switch out the buttons and analog stick?

If not then I wonder if it has to do with costs? I was thinking that a hackable version might cost as much as the new elite controller that MS is introducing.

You can configure it as you like, though, if that's what you mean. Way they've worded it makes it seem as if you can have the controller any way you want it, "infinite" amount of configurations. I haven't seen any news in regards to it being hackable in well over a year, though. Don't know if I missed it, or if it just wasn't there.

Honestly, I thought it was obvious that shenmue was another bloodstained scenario where the publisher (in this case, sony) would be willing to help fund the game but needed proof there was a market for it which is why it was sony that had it in its conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom