• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 II - Click the Monsters You Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wasn't there another person on NeoGAF who did this last year and posted impressions after an hour's play?

If you ever have the time then could you post impressions of your short plays? :p

Err ok...

Run or Die - Nope, cba with endless runners, I need a goal at least. Shame because I like the look of it. Probably good if you like the genre

Lisa - Weird ass 2d side scrolling rpg. It might be amazing, I'm not sure yet. I'm not sure about anything in that game.

Pitiri 1977 - cute little 2d platformer. Cool art, janky gameplay. The 70s stuff hits my nostalgic bone

Momodora III - awesome 2d action game. Great art. Seems hard as shit. Where's Momodora 4?

Ninja Pizza Girl - janky not-endless runner type game (because it has levels you see), looks as janky as it feels, did nothing for me.

Bad Robots - actually liked this, cool graphics, gameplay is weird as shit as it's pseudo dual stick shooter but not really, lots of weapons, cool level design.

From Dust - cool water and terrain simulator >_> nah I actually liked it and played a few levels, there's not much to it but it's pretty and terrain deformation is always fun.

Unholy Heights - it's a monster apartment complex simulator. Do I really need to say more? Fuck the human that came in and killed all my monsters tho :(

Secrets of Raekiton - really liked this one, great art, gameplay is like nothing out there, you control a bird collecting power sources to power up these shrines...it's hard to explain, cool non-linear design too. Fuck the other birds tho, I don't know if you can kill them :(

Crimsonland - Nope not for me, boring ass dual stick shooter always in the same arena. No idea why this is so loved.

I can't remember what else I played

Sch1sm

Be outraged over other things. Like the lack of foil summer card drops.

E: I had the same impression of LISA as you, Rhaknar. First is was peculiar, then it got weird. The dark humour set in and I laughed a bit, only for it to just get weird again. I'm not sure what to expect of this game.

But dude, we need to be outraged
Thats what it really feels like. Just be happy that youre finally getting your precious shenmue 3 and that sony is not only willing to do a majority of the funding, but is allowing the game to come out on pc
Do I really need to add a /s for people to detect sarcasm, no matter how extreme a statement would be, taken at face value?
My first ban was because they couldn't tell I was joking, since then I promised anytime im being sarcastic to add an /s to avoid bans.

Err ok...

Run or Die - Nope, cba with endless runners, I need a goal at least. Shame because I like the look of it. Probably good if you like the genre

Lisa - Weird ass 2d side scrolling rpg. It might be amazing, I'm not sure yet. I'm not sure about anything in that game.

Pitiri 1977 - cute little 2d platformer. Cool art, janky gameplay. The 70s stuff hits my nostalgic bone

Momodora III - awesome 2d action game. Great art. Seems hard as shit. Where's Momodora 4?

Ninja Pizza Girl - janky not-endless runner type game (because it has levels you see), looks as janky as it feels, did nothing for me.

Bad Robots - actually liked this, cool graphics, gameplay is weird as shit as it's pseudo dual stick shooter but not really, lots of weapons, cool level design.

From Dust - cool water and terrain simulator >_> nah I actually liked it and played a few levels, there's not much to it but it's pretty and terrain deformation is always fun.

Unholy Heights - it's a monster apartment complex simulator. Do I really need to say more? Fuck the human that came in and killed all my monsters tho :(

Secrets of Raekiton - really liked this one, great art, gameplay is like nothing out there, you control a bird collecting power sources to power up these shrines...it's hard to explain, cool non-linear design too. Fuck the other birds tho, I don't know if you can kill them :(

Crimsonland - Nope not for me, boring ass dual stick shooter always in the same arena. No idea why this is so loved.

I can't remember what else I played

Momodora IV is coming. I pretty much agree with your opinion regarding Pitiri 1977 and Unholy Heights.

autoduelist

So I've come to realize that games that require a lot of right clicking hurt my hand. Think RTS games, where you 'left click' to select something, then right click to attack.

It's most likely the fault of laptop gaming, or, more specifically, my particular touchpad. While the obvious answer is to 'get a mouse', my preferred gaming location doesn't have anywhere to place a mouse.

Does anyone know of any other solution? Are those 'air mouse' things [that I only discovered existed 5 minutes ago] any good?

Are there any that work sort of like a wii nunchuck? Thumbstick + triggers? I googled this and found ways to convert an actual nunchuck to do it, but i mean a proper one?

Basically, just trying to find an ergonomic solution for my situation.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I still hate MOBA and RTS and think they're an awful genre.

#DudeBro360FoLyfe

lHW7yBX.png

E3, Shenmue 3, Half-Life 3, yeah yeah. We need to get back to Two. So here are some impressions for The Journey Down: Chapter Two:

The story: Layabout rascal and sometime pilot Bwana, his somewhat lazy engineer brother Kito, and investigative scholar Lina continue their search for Bwana and Kito's adoptive father, as well as try to uncover the secrets about the mist-shrouded Underland, that have been...well...covered up. As soon as they arrive in the town of Port Artue (which is apparently the next city down and closest to the mist,) a dirty cop rounds them up and takes the father's journal. You play Bwana as you try to unravel the story behind the corruption, get the book back, figure out what happened to your father and make your way to the Underland. Also pirates. All in one episode! Whew!

The story is about what you'd expect for a Chapter Two. It's a bit exposition heavy as "the plot thickens," but remains a good set-up for what appears to be the climax in Chapter Three. Also, they've softened the character of Bwana a bit: he's still mischevious but not as malicious as he was in Chapter One. So that's nice.

The dialogue and voices: Bwana and Kito are still pretty stereotypical, but every new character isn't, thank goodness. Some have accents, and some are one-dimensional, but there's nothing that really links the two (for example, there's a character with an Australian accent who's a bit of a coward as well as a foodie. They could have given him any accent and it would have worked, so I don't see it as a stereotype.) So in that respect, it's done a lot better than Chapter One, and the voices are decent too.
The voice recording appears to have been done in Kenya and features a lot of talent heretofore unheard.

The graphics: This is one of the main reasons you'll play the game. The characters sport a unique look based on African masks, and the city background takes on an art-deco noir look to match the tone of a seedy place rife with corruption. Add to that a mid-game travel cutscene reminiscent of 50s cartoons and/or the Sam and Max intro credits, and you've got a feast for the eyes.

The music and sound: Brassy jazz all over the place, just as you'd expect. It's brilliantly done. I can't give them too much credit for the sounds seeing as they took them all from freesound archives, but they spared no expense on the music and it shows.

The puzzles: Mostly easy. That was disappointing. Also, one puzzle required a lot of precision, so much so that I had to check a walkthrough to see what I was doing wrong, only to find out I was doing it right but not right ENOUGH. The puzzles were well-crafted but by no means tough.

The length: 3.5 hours. A good length for an episode (especially since you won't spend too much time scratching your head over puzzles.) Oddly enough, I finished the game before I got my third card drop, so maybe they were expecting the game to go longer?

The verdict: Improves on the first chapter in a lot of ways. If you've played the first one, there's no excuse to not bite on this now. If you haven't, try to pick it up in a Steam sale on the cheap (I seem to remember it hit a dollar at one point,) try not to mind the stereotypes, then head straight into this one.

Shadownet

Banned
i have another confession.
i've never played a Shenmue game
A confession to make eh..?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My birthday is not for a short while. But I can't wait till then to give back something to you guys so here it is.

I'm doing 23 giveaways. There are only 5 rules.
1. Please only enter for games you don't have.
2. Once you win something, you are no longer eligible to win any other giveaways. So think about and make sure that it is the game you want. Maybe the next one might be better.
3. I reserve the right to take off any name that was entered if I find out you're a lurker or whatever.
4. Each giveaway will most likely be either 24 hours or until people stop entering. Whatever happen first. I will give a warning post before I close up the giveaway.
5. Don't wish me Happy Birthday yet. If you do, I will send ninjas and spiders after you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please quote to reveal the link, input your name and good luck!

Giveaway #12: Octodad: Deadliest Catch

only have enough money for one

astebreed or dreadout? I'm leaning towards neither now. I have crimzon clover that I havent played and amnesia which I havent played

Jawmuncher

E3, Shenmue 3, Half-Life 3, yeah yeah. We need to get back to Two. So here are some impressions for The Journey Down: Chapter Two:

The story: Layabout rascal and sometime pilot Bwana, his somewhat lazy engineer brother Kito, and investigative scholar Lina continue their search for Bwana and Kito's adoptive father, as well as try to uncover the secrets about the mist-shrouded Underland, that have been...well...covered up. As soon as they arrive in the town of Port Artue (which is apparently the next city down and closest to the mist,) a dirty cop rounds them up and takes the father's journal. You play Bwana as you try to unravel the story behind the corruption, get the book back, figure out what happened to your father and make your way to the Underland. Also pirates. All in one episode! Whew!

The story is about what you'd expect for a Chapter Two. It's a bit exposition heavy as "the plot thickens," but remains a good set-up for what appears to be the climax in Chapter Three. Also, they've softened the character of Bwana a bit: he's still mischevious but not as malicious as he was in Chapter One. So that's nice.

The dialogue and voices: Bwana and Kito are still pretty stereotypical, but every new character isn't, thank goodness. Some have accents, and some are one-dimensional, but there's nothing that really links the two (for example, there's a character with an Australian accent who's a bit of a coward as well as a foodie. They could have given him any accent and it would have worked, so I don't see it as a stereotype.) So in that respect, it's done a lot better than Chapter One, and the voices are decent too.
The voice recording appears to have been done in Kenya and features a lot of talent heretofore unheard.

The graphics: This is one of the main reasons you'll play the game. The characters sport a unique look based on African masks, and the city background takes on an art-deco noir look to match the tone of a seedy place rife with corruption. Add to that a mid-game travel cutscene reminiscent of 50s cartoons and/or the Sam and Max intro credits, and you've got a feast for the eyes.

The music and sound: Brassy jazz all over the place, just as you'd expect. It's brilliantly done. I can't give them too much credit for the sounds seeing as they took them all from freesound archives, but they spared no expense on the music and it shows.

The puzzles: Mostly easy. That was disappointing. Also, one puzzle required a lot of precision, so much so that I had to check a walkthrough to see what I was doing wrong, only to find out I was doing it right but not right ENOUGH. The puzzles were well-crafted but by no means tough.

The length: 3.5 hours. A good length for an episode (especially since you won't spend too much time scratching your head over puzzles.) Oddly enough, I finished the game before I got my third card drop, so maybe they were expecting the game to go longer?

The verdict: Improves on the first chapter in a lot of ways. If you've played the first one, there's no excuse to not bite on this now. If you haven't, try to pick it up in a Steam sale on the cheap (I seem to remember it hit a dollar at one point,) try not to mind the stereotypes, then head straight into this one.

Didn't know they did a chapter 2. Will try and get around to the first one. Write up here has me interested.

Sch1sm

Ok this got me good.

Why does the monster game says I have unlocked 14 cards yet i have none of that in my inventory?

Sch1sm road to 4m, you are basically this game's Jesus, show me the ways.

That's counting every card drop you've received from the game thus far, not just today.

derExperte has us all beat, actually. He passed 7m a while ago. If I'm Jesus, he's the Father.

The real truth is Shadownet showed most of us the way. Chrome console, js command with specific room numbers fed to us by twitch streams of Reddit members. It's all a bit crazy.

Anteater

I played shenmue 1 and half of 2, I thought 2 was kind of shit, it has a lot of the stuff most people hate about modern games, tailing mission, obnoxious QTEs and I dislike some of the characters. 1 was kind of charming with a cool setting though.

I still need to go back to finish 2 but I hated it after climbing that tall building where you have to do QTEs plank walking with Ryo feels the need to narrate after crossing every one of them.

Sch1sm

I'm finally installing Besiege. I look forward to the imminent disappointment in being unable to recreate the things I've seen in so many videos.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
header.jpg

DreadOut is $3.74 right now.

If you are looking for a good, creative, older-school styled horror game, give DreadOut a try. It's an Indonesian indie game stylized after Fatal Frame. While it doesn't look the best and has a few technical bumps, as well as some hammy (I'd say enjoyably so) acting, it makes up for it in sheer creativity, execution, and atmosphere. Full of all sorts of ideas during its 4-6 hours course, as well as stock-full of secrets.

header.jpg

If you are looking for a good, creative, older-school styled horror game, give DreadOut a try. It's an Indonesian indie game stylized after Fatal Frame. While it doesn't look the best and has a few technical bumps, as well as some hammy (I'd say enjoyably so) acting, it makes up for it in sheer creativity, execution, and atmosphere. Full of all sorts of ideas during its 4-6 hours course, as well as stock-full of secrets.

This was a good game, but I didn't like the ending (s). I was hoping for a happy one.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'll also mention DreadOut's devs update the game fairly regularly with fixes, new content, etc.

Here was my full Steam review of it:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/AestheticGamer/recommended/269790

DreadOut is an Indonesian survival-horror game that takes inspiration from the Fatal Frame franchise, and pulls a lot from Indonesian myths and folklore.

You play as a non-talkative protagonist known as Linda, who with a few friends is on a car trip, but they stumble upon a weird deserted city that isn't marked on their map. The friends go to investigate the town, and soon get wrapped up in some severe hauntings from the strange ghost that start coming out when night falls.

The game has a low-budget, and it shows. Graphically everything looks outdated, with low-res textures, odd character animations, and the like. There's also no real-time shadows. The game also has a few bugs. I didn't encounter anything game-breaking, but a few 'look through the wall with the camera', 'get stuck on an object for a moment', 'that character is levitating,' type of bugs, However, something I found interesting was that they didn't copy and paste many models. There were a lot of posters around town, and each one was legitimately different. Same with pictures, and just small details all about.Outside of a few chairs or piles of garbage, most of the models were unique to each other, and I was surprised the developers didn't take many shortcuts.

Mentioning this, something I noticed about the game is that there were a lot of secrets and original assets used for things that most players would probably not even end up finding or seeing. There's more I have to say on the topic, but I'll get back to this in a bit.

The game has legitimately great atmosphere. There are some fantastic scares, the feeling of unnerve that is caused by the game. It has an atmosphere to it that most horror games these days are missing from the days of old, sort of a combination of dread and excitement for what's going to come next. The atmosphere and scares are more akin to something like Fatal Frame or Kuon than Amnesia or Outlast, I should mention. Recommended at night and in darkness, with headphones.

This is backed by fantastic audio design. The music is great, the sounds are great. Voicing is okay, a bit cheesy but enjoyably so. However, with the music, how it is and how it's used in the game, is really effective, and also I can mention unique. The music is very different than any other horror game I have played, but very effective. And how the music transitions with events going on is very well-done. The audio is also unnerving, and sometimes hearing a weird sound, even without knowing its source or even without it leading to anything, raised the tension. It sometimes gets hard to tell if a sound you just heard is part of the music, or something in the environment, but I say this as a good thing.

And the game does not lie on its laurels. By this I mean a lot happens, and the game never throws the same thing at you twice. I was honestly surprised by the number of ghosts there are in this game, there were a lot more than I was anticipating. Some great enemy variety, and you fight each ghost really only once or twice, there was not a single ghost I think the game threw at you a third time. And the 'events' that happen, like scares or atmospheric additions, were all incredibly varied too. This definitely helped to raise the intrigue as you never knew what might be coming next, and some of what happens really goes into the unexpected.

Combat is similar to Fatal Frame, but a bit more simplistic. There isn't a charge rate like Fatal Frame, or a point system, but the closer enemies are, the more you damage them when you take a shot. And if you attack them right before they attack you, you deliver additional damage.

Even the puzzles are well done and intelligent. Figuring out what to do is fun, and they do a good job at laying out clues to what you need to do to help piece it all together. They have clever hints and details, while not being extremely obvious either. However, it should be mentioned that those with less patience and less of a desire to figure out cryptic clues may not like how they're handled. But if you loved puzzles from horror games in the 90s (which have been notably absent in recent years), then you'll likely be quite happy to see some return to form here.

One of the game's biggest draws is some absolutely memorable moments. Several of the ghost encounters are absolutely fantastically handled and designed, the pacing of the game is wonderful for the most part (though may some end up stuck in the school for a while), and there's good variety with all of it. Some of the moments, such as the sit-down with Ira or the whole Mansion location, are absolutely stellar, and strike me as quality horror moments, something that has been missing from so many horror games, the sort of intrigue, weirdness, and execution that leads these moment to be gripping and chilling.

What they have here is fantastic, it legitimately is one of the best classic-styled survival-horror games to release in the last few years, and I think genre enthusiast who like certain elements of horror games that have been absent since the days of old will really appreciate the game. It's well-paced, well-executed, and well realized. It's low-budget, but those who enjoy the genre likely won't be bothered by this, some absolutely fantastic horror games over the years have been decidedly low-budget. The developers only had $26k to make the game, but they have managed to with that make a very confident horror game, and honestly some of the most fun I've had in a horror game in a while.

The weird thing is the secrets I mentioned earlier. There are complete sections of the game you could miss if you don't do some exploration. There are ghosts you won't fight unless you go off the beaten path. A tip to the wise is when it turns night-time and before you enter the school, don't enter the school like the game suggests and instead head back towards the town you just came from. There are different types of ghosts if you head backwards at this point that you'll never encounter in the main game. And little hidden areas and easter eggs to uncover all about. So on that front, there is some really cool optional content to explore in the game.

There's also a few cool unlockables. Once you complete the game, you unlock additional outfits, all of which are actually pretty well designed, and can be used on a second and later playthrough.

There's also a few side areas you can explore right now that don't really lead to anything, which I can only guess are there right now for the possible future Free Roam Mode (a lot of buildings and side-areas off the beaten-path are currently inaccessible or kind of barren right now, and I assume will be open in the free-roam mode the developers are working on).

I want DreadOut to succeed. I really liked what was here, I'd even go as far to say this is the best attempt at making a 'classic' style horror game to release in the last few years, really having an understanding of those gripping elements that made those games enjoyable (a deeper level of meaning and not just superficially being classic styled with fixed camera angles and tank controls). The whole game will probably take someone 4 - 9 hours, depending on how much they explore and find hidden areas and how long they take on puzzles.

DreadOut is completely worth experiencing. It's tense, sometimes terrifying, has the right amount of weirdness to it, some absolutely stellar moments, and is actually a lot of fun. Its low budget shows, especially in the graphics department, but through clever design, good execution, and variety at hand, manages to be a fun and memorable experience.

zkylon

zkylewd
Except for the part where it showed up at a huge-ass conference hosted by Sony? It's not really that hidden...
in which they said nothing about third party investors or anything?

sure, you can 'assume' stuff but that's exactly what being unclear is, having the people you're talking to 'assume'

Well isn't that how it is in the real world? You don't like something or the way it's done. Vote with your wallet and don't get it.
because we're in a forum and you discuss shit in a forum (and post anime gifs)?

when you say "just vote with your wallet" you might as well not say anything at all

i have another confession.

i've never played a Shenmue game
shenmue's pretty weird, and i'd say it aged awfully but i played it on an emulator that ran pretty bad so maybe it's more playable now

it's like the talky parts of deadly premonition i guess? or something?

just a really weird game

header.jpg

i'd say it's a pretty bad idea to put the monster of your horror game in the steam art, i don't get why devs do it

isn't there supposed to be some tension as to what the actual monster looks like :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom