• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 II - Click the Monsters You Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well, sorry if I'm being agressive but if there's one thing I'm kinda tired of is people asking "what do you do in No Man's Sky?" when that information is widely available.
that probably means that the developers are bad at explaining what you do in the game, specially when they're given this much coverage. or they're being purposely unclear as iosefe says

and like, i don't care about that game enough to be looking at "what we know" lists or to spend time listening to people that actually played it talking about it, so i just wish there was actually some gameplay videos of how the whole shooting stuff and minecrafting and all that stuff works

but he had no idea what he would find. he could have easily dropped into a world with behemoths running around. might have been cooler. or maybe a completely barren world. he showed what the game gave him. he was definitely asked by sony to show, and he was obviously uneasy with that. like i said that he said, he doesn't want to show it too much.
maybe not leave conferences up to rng? it sounds cool in theory and there was actually a couple of cool things in this demo but still, i'd rather this game had less coverage if they're not gonna be open about it

iosefe

If the game is so large and procedurally generated what's the issue in showing that? A huge selling piece is no two planets will be the same. That would mean the game has a lot to show.

he has show us that, though. through out all footage we've seen, we have seen planets that are vastly different, with varying wildlife.

Jawmuncher

he has show us that, though. through out all footage we've seen, we have seen planets that are vastly different, with varying wildlife.

That just went against what you just said.
Never mind I read it wrong. My post lower clarifies more of what I'm aiming at.

chronomac

Part of me wishes people would stop asking about No Man's Sky and just wait and experience it when it comes out. You travel to planets and see neat stuff. Let the rest be a surprise.

Jawmuncher

Part of me wishes people would stop asking about No Man's Sky and just wait and experience it when it comes out. You travel to planets and see neat stuff. Let the rest be a surprise.

I don't get this. This bothers me more than people asking what you do in a game.
if the game is so large and procedurally generated that means you are going to see all kinds of stuff. That means because of that you have all the sorts of surprises you need.

Why would mechanics be a part of that?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm expecting no mans land to be another terraria style game just with no building. And pretty graphics. I mean that in a good way

iosefe

That just went against what you just said.

how so? even the steam page shows the variety. this is stuff we've already been shown. we've been told of the basic gameplay faculties. we've been shown behemoths and creatures like rabbits. we've seen giant worms sifting through sand, and simple deer like creatures grazing in fields.

we've seem him uploading to the Atlas at a beacon. docking at a port, and dogfighting in space. shooting space police and collecting resources.

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't get this. This bothers me more than people asking what you do in a game.
if the game is so large and procedurally generated that means you are going to see all kinds of stuff. That means because of that you have all the sorts of surprises you need.

exactly, i just want to know how it plays

all the cool procedural stuff and the weird meta-community stuff i'm sure it'll have can come later

Jawmuncher

how so? even the steam page shows the variety. this is stuff we've already been shown. we've been told of the basic gameplay faculties. we've been shown behemoths and creatures like rabbits. we've seen giant worms sifting through sand, and simple deer like creatures grazing in fields.

we've seem him uploading to the Atlas at a beacon. docking at a port, and dogfighting in space. shooting space police and collecting resources.

Yeah I clarified I read the post wrong.

MUnited83

For you.

I mean, they already showed on video:

Space combat
Shooting
Exploration
Collecting resources
Outposts

I mean, the mechanics are obviously there.Quite a few of them. And you have widely available and quite detailed information about the whole thing...

Deitus

I get that in the context of No Man's Sky. But if you could sell a game by simply saying "It's a mystery! I can't tell you about it, you have to experience it for yourself," then all of video game marketing would be out of the job, and everyone would just buy every game no questions asked.

People want to know more about a game before they buy it, so they know whether it is worth spending money on this game, as opposed to the other thousand games that the developers claim are amazing and have to be experienced.

iosefe

Yeah I clarified I read the post wrong.

i see. my response stands though. we've been shown the mechanics, or at the very least told about them. trade resources at space stations and such to upgrade your ship, suit, gun, etc.

we've already been shown a lot. we don't necessarily need every tiny detail told to use before the game is even done

(sory if i'm coming off a bit harsh on all this.)

Space combat
Shooting
Exploration
Collecting resources
Outposts

I mean, the mechanics are obviously there.Quite a few of them. And you have widely available and quite detailed information about the whole thing...

Let me add a couple:

Law system
Resource depletion system

chronomac

But now you've got a handle on some of those mechanics, like flight, space battles, ground combat, and collecting resources. And you know the main objective is to go towards the sun. Plus you know it looks nice and has a pretty big color palette.

I guess my issue is that people are asking about this game in a specific manner, as if the game has to have a ton more added on to it to be interesting. I'm already buying in, just knowing there's an almost infinite number of planets to explore.

Space combat
Shooting
Exploration
Collecting resources
Outposts
Let me add a couple:

Law system
Resource depletion system

There you go.

Jawmuncher

Space combat
Shooting
Exploration
Collecting resources
Outposts

i see. my response stands though. we've been shown the mechanics, or at the very least told about them. trade resources at space stations and such to upgrade your ship, suit, gun, etc.

we've already been shown a lot. we don't necessarily need every tiny detail told to use before the game is even done

I guess perhaps all I can add is that maybe some of us do. Maybe not to the extent where "this is absolutely everything you can do and here is what lies at the center". But as I said before when you have this whole other group just wondering about it, you can't exactly blame them. Yes some of the information is there and I have been following it. I know about the crafting, trade posts, and everything else when that large thread was made after the usual threads of people asking. People can be naturally apprehensive. I don't exactly blame them at all for that.

But now you've got a handle on some of those mechanics, like flight, space battles, ground combat, and collecting resources. And you know the main objective is to go towards the sun. Plus you know it looks nice and has a pretty big color palette.

I guess my issue is that people are asking about this game in a specific manner, as if the game has to have a ton more added on to it to be interesting. I'm already buying in, just knowing there's an almost infinite number of planets to explore.

There you go.

I know about the mechanics, I followed the thread when it first came up awhile back. Was just talking in scope for the majority that still don't. Aside from that my response basically just goes to what I said up above. I don't blame anyone for being apprehensive of the game. It's a lot to take in.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I just want to go back to posting dinosaurs

insta032.gif

Turfster

12 hour deals
  • Blood Bowl Chaos 75% off
  • Splinter Cell Blacklist 75% off
  • Bulletstorm 78% off
  • Damned 75% off
  • Mark of the Ninja 85% off
  • Distant Worlds Universe 50% off
  • Vampire Bloodlines 76% off
  • Beasts of Prey 65% off
  • Warmachine Tactics 50% off
  • Broken Sword 5 80% off
  • Shroud of the Avatar 50% off
  • Nom Nom Galaxy 80% off
  • Shadowrun Chronicles Boston Lockdown 66% off
  • Hero Siege 85% off
  • Jazzpunk 75% off

DocSeuss

Why is there no good way to check out the CoH2 DLC? I could only find the store pages for some of those combat disciplines because of a wishlist email.

I want to buy Shroud of the Avatar, but my paycheck's gonna be $78. So... I'll wait. Probably shouldn't buy anything else.

inm8num2

Hm, might get the Mark of the Ninja special edition upgrade. Had a blast with that game but don't know if I'd replay it any time soon.

baterism

So that game that I saw on NHK World is called NomNom Galaxy. Still in Early Access? But it's cheap and looks interesting. Sold. Fuck the budget.

Grief.exe

Tom Clancy's Franchise sale

Rainbow Six didn't change in price.

Come on Ubisoft, I've been waiting for some of your older games for literally years.

Jawmuncher

Hopefully I didn't come off as jerkish up there. I'm not the best at clarifying my thoughts when typed. Which is why i rarely try to argue/debate.

-------

http://download.gamezone.com/uploads/image/data/1181371/insta032.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
13 more days
[quote="Last Baron, post: 168782189"]That ARK game is second it looks like. The gamers hath spoken.[/QUOTE]
The success is very surprising considering the out of no where reveal. Seems dinos and their efforts with twitch/YouTube have really payed off.
[quote="morningbus, post: 168782313"]we go live to jawmuncher's bedroom

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/vGSjN2g.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
I watched this GIF on loop for a good bit.
[quote="texhnolyze, post: 168782658"]So, what makes ARK different from many other Dino survival games out there?
Prettier graphics?[/QUOTE]
The big thing seems to be base building and taming the dinosaurs. There's pictures of Trexes basically as guard dogs on people's forts. I haven't played it yet though waiting on better performance for my card.
[quote="Jazz573, post: 168783069"]Two best things in this thread: Jawmuncher's dino posts, and anime GIFs. :P[/QUOTE]
I try.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oh neat, Bloodlines is on sale.

I still remember the days that was THE white whale.

Also, fuck devs who don't discount dlc or discount it alot less than the base game

Jawmuncher

How are Damned and Blood Bowl?

I'd also like to ask our resident dinosaur afficianado, about Beasts of Prey.

Haven't put too much time into beasts of prey since I was waiting for a update to change some things. I would say it's basically just a typical crafting/survival game but with the nice added bonus of having dinos instead of the usual norm of zombies. They're still working constantly on it though which is a nice sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom