• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 II - Click the Monsters You Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
i just wish someone sat put mr hello smiley beard and had him play no man's zky for like 20 minutes so i could be like "oh, ok, that's what you do in this game"

cos like "exploration game" can mean tons of different things

def sim

as in your summer badge immediately levels up or you mean cards?

You get a badge for level milestones. Maybe more? I haven't looked into it past seeing a new badge in my profile.

untitledv2qx5.png

Sch1sm

as in your summer badge immediately levels up or you mean cards?

Wait you can still get cards after the mandatory drops?

Only 3 drops a day.

The badge he means is the one specific to the game. There's two. One for the cards, one to do with the meta game. Sort of like how last summer we had one badge for our team, and another for cards?

Yo how do you attack in this game? Apparently clicking on enemies isn't it.

Use a skill. There's no auto attack.

def sim

i just wish someone sat put mr hello smiley beard and had him play no man's zky for like 20 minutes so i could be like "oh, ok, that's what you do in this game"

It seems like that's exactly what gamespot did. Maybe we'll see a video in the coming week?

chwhlw4usaes4w7gxuke.jpg

iosefe

the thing is he want's people to discover what there is. he doesn't know, only a vague idea. he's done demos, and it has been explained great in other threads.

the overall goal you may have is to reach the center of the galaxy. what you do on the way there is up to you. you can pillage and destroy planets as you pass them. attack everything you see, but bear the consequences. find resources to trade. upgrade your ship, suit, and weapon. be a space cowboy, be a space pirate, be a space trader.

or you can just never go to the center. your choice

i think i want to claim the OT. haha. if not, Jshackles, keep this post and use it for the eventual write-up for a future steam thread

Sch1sm

Dat some bull... what kind of MMO is this..

It's a pain in the ass. Bind a skill to your right click/the number 1, I think, and that might do it. But no regular, boring melee auto attack that I remember. I only lasted a few days in that because that frustrated me.

zkylon

zkylewd
It seems like that's exactly what gamespot did. Maybe we'll see a video in the coming week?

chwhlw4usaes4w7gxuke.jpg
cool

i love mr irish guy

the thing is he want's people to discover what there is. he doesn't know, only a vague idea. he's done demos, and it has been explained great in other threads.

the overall goal you may have is to reach the center of the galaxy. what you do on the way there is up to you. you can pillage and destroy planets as you pass them. attack everything you see, but bear the consequences. find resources to trade. upgrade your ship, suit, and weapon. be a space cowboy, be a space pirate, be a space trader.

or you can just never go to the center. your choice
hmm i see, if it's something like space mount and blade that sounds pretty good for me

or something

i guess it's neat that's he's being all mysterious about it, but probably not the best idea to be hyping it over and over at e3 and be doing demos for and everything

iosefe

hmm i see, if it's something like space mount and blade that sounds pretty good for me

or something

i guess it's neat that's he's being all mysterious about it, but probably not the best idea to be hyping it over and over at e3 and be doing demos for and everything

If he told us, "hey, do this this and this", it would go against what he's trying to build. we doesn't want to tell people the way to play it. he was interview for Gamespot and said something similar to that, that he wants to show as little as humanly possible until release.

he wants us to relish in discovery

Agreed, I'm interested in the game but all the lack of information about the gameplay makes me cautious about the game, I fear it might be very repetitive. I hope they show a longer gameplay session soon.

MUnited83

For you.

There are still people with this mindset? What you do in this game has been explained several times. There's a whole thread dedicated to it.

Skip to 14:16

Read the most recent details.

Read this summary post.

Information is widely available out there.

zkylon

zkylewd
If he told us, "hey, do this this and this", it would go against what he's trying to build. we doesn't want to tell people the way to play it. he was interview for Gamespot and said something similar to that, that he wants to show as little as humanly possible until release.

he wants us to relish in discovery

i mean then showing the same stuff over and over isn't really that cool then

like i thought that what they showed of it at this e3 was actually kind of meh

like sure there are spaceships and like A BILLION PLANETS and e3 fish and stuff but it's hard for me to be excited about it when i don't know anything and i keep being shown the same thing

it feels like maybe there's not that much to do?

iosefe

you can be cautious. if you NEED the numbers and information to get into it, some chance the game isn't for you. to quote a gametrailers guy, you need to be ok with not knowing whats in store for you, and gain that experience

Jawmuncher

There are still people with this mindset? What you do in this game has been explained several times. There's a whole thread dedicated to it.

Read this summary post.

I don't really blame people about this honestly. When there's that many people saying it there's obviously a disconnect with the presentation.

you can be cautious. if you NEED the numbers and information to get into it, some chance the game isn't for you. to quote a gametrailers guy, you need to be ok with not knowing whats in store for you, and gain that experience
Sorry but that just sounds really pretentious. It's not like people are trying to find out the ending to a game. Wanting to know mechanics is and such is a legitimate concern.

iosefe

i mean then showing the same stuff over and over isn't really that cool then

like i thought that what they showed of it at this e3 was actually kind of meh

like sure there are spaceships and like A BILLION PLANETS and e3 fish and stuff but it's hard for me to be excited about it when i don't know anything and i keep being shown the same thing

it feels like maybe there's not that much to do?
it's a live demo, he literally winged it while on stage. he booted up picked a random planet, and worked with what he was given. but again he doesn't want to show too much

This thread has been collecting details

*edit i see Bernardo linked the stuff too

zkylon

zkylewd

Read this summary post.

i'm just going off the very uninformative stage demos at e3, i don't necessarily follow the game

anyways, hoping it's just a bad day you're having, cos this attitude of yours is very unpleasant

it's a live demo, he literally winged it while on stage. he booted up picked a random planet, and worked with what he was given. but again he doesn't want to show too much

This thread has been collecting details

*edit i see Bernardo linked the stuff too
i mean, i get it, he doesn't want to tell much or spoil the fun stuff, that's cool, but maybe stop showing the uneventful parts of your game then?

like, if all you're gonna show is "e3 fish" then maybe don't show the game at all?

MUnited83

For you.
i'm just going off the very uninformative stage demos at e3, i don't necessarily follow the game

anyways, hoping it's just a bad day you're having, cos this attitude of yours is very unpleasant

i mean, i get it, he doesn't want to tell much or spoil the fun stuff, that's cool, but maybe stop showing the uneventful parts of your game then?

Well, sorry if I'm being agressive but if there's one thing I'm kinda tired of is people asking "what do you do in No Man's Sky?" when that information is widely available.

Jawmuncher

NMS really did cement the fact to me though that people just love exploring. I should have pieced this together with the numerous sandbox games and such. But when a game like NMS can engross so many people while only a small few are still wondering it definitely speaks volumes.

Kind of reminds me of the people who say 13-2 is a better game than 13 just because it has those said elements abd side missions.

Shadownet

Banned
It's a pain in the ass. Bind a skill to your right click/the number 1, I think, and that might do it. But no regular, boring melee auto attack that I remember. I only lasted a few days in that because that frustrated me.
Thanks for the tip. Yeah this is quite frustrating. I really hope they think about changing this.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I'm bothered by the line, "planets are planet sized". so odd.

It might make more sense with an 'actually' planet sized. As opposed to planets that are super tiny. Moon sized. Satelite sized. They're planet sized...planets.

iosefe

like, if all you're gonna show is "e3 fish" then maybe don't show the game at all?

but he had no idea what he would find. he could have easily dropped into a world with behemoths running around. might have been cooler. or maybe a completely barren world. he showed what the game gave him. he was definitely asked by sony to show, and he was obviously uneasy with that. like i said that he said, he doesn't want to show it too much.

I doubt they are actually planet sized.

planets have many shapes and sizes. probably means that they also vary form small to large, and takes days and weeks or more travelling a single planet

Jawmuncher

but he had no idea what he would find. he could have easily dropped into a world with behemoths running around. might have been cooler. or maybe a completely barren world. he showed what the game gave him. he was definitely asked by sony to show, and he was obviously uneasy with that. like i said that he said, he doesn't want to show it too much.

If the game is so large and procedurally generated what's the issue in showing that? A huge selling piece is no two planets will be the same. That would mean the game has a lot to show.

Grief.exe

It sounds like you mine the planet for minerals, secrets, plant/animal life, etc. Then either sell these materials for higher prices elsewhere in the universe, use them to upgrade your ship/weapons/gear/etc, or a little bit of both.

It might make more sense with an 'actually' planet sized. As opposed to planets that are super tiny. Moon sized. Satelite sized. They're planet sized...planets.

This is what I thought. Planets are defined as large/dense enough to control the objects in their orbit. Planet sized planet may sound awkward, but that rules out other, smaller bodies.

Sch1sm

Playing Besiege has made me realize in only two levels of freedom that I'm less sense and more brute. Instead of crafting something that flies, I just rammed at with aerodynamic attachment to wheels until the machine lifted enough that I could fire a cannon at the building.

It is fun, though. I should have started playing it minute I got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom