• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2017 - MASH ALL THE BUTTONS 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah... is it a sandbox when there's no sand? Like, to follow that line of thought, GTA5 has an empty sandbox filled with plastic toys; they are very expensive toys, yes, but that doesn't make them any more flexible.

Pachimari

Ln3FPq8.png

Am I overclocking if the core clock (966MHZ) and the memory clock (3004MHz) doesn't increase during gaming? These are the numbers while I'm doing nothing at all, but they don't change when I am playing Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Which has left me confused.

Javier23

Banned
I want to get into these oldschool cRPGs, which would you recommend I start with? I was looking at BG1, BG2, Planescape, Icewind and ArcanA
You mean Arcanum, right?

I'd definitely recommend to start with Planescape if you care about world-building, characters or story. Get into Baldur's Gate for something with more combat and adventure. Start with either one and explore the genre from there.

sadblob

I want to get into these oldschool cRPGs, which would you recommend I start with? I was looking at BG1, BG2, Planescape, Icewind and ArcanA

Planescape if you want to experience mostly a storyline and lots of dialogue, Icewind Dale is pure combat and can be a good intro to how it works (save for a few changes between the games). Baldur's Gate is in the middle, but you don't wanna to finish 1 without starting 2 immediately and that can be a lot of hours. Haven't played Arcanum so can't talk about that one.

Mivey

Other then that it takes loads and loads of hours to get through it. ;)
The scope combined with the beautifully rich mechanics are something in favor of BG2, not against it. Most of that is also side quests, if you want to do just the critical path, you can probably cut the time in half.

yuraya

The first Ori, Cuphead and Voodoo Vince all came to Steam day 1.

I doubt MS tries to keep Ori 2 from being the same. I think they only care more about the super big budget first party stuff from ever hitting Steam. It will suck big time if it doesn't tho. The first Ori did really well on Steam too. It would probably be the single worst thing MS has done this gen if they go through with it. Unforgivable.

Wok

I haven't finished the story, and have spent like 40 hours in Online, and yet I don't think it's a masterpiece or something like that. If I were never played the game, I can live with that.

I have not touched Online at all (not even a second) and I have just played the story to the end.

Has much change since Gta:sa? Ive not played one since and nothing seems more open-ended or dynamic about how the game unfolds.

My mind was repeatedly blown. As Aaron puts it, there are several innovations. To me: lots of activities with slightly different gameplay and good sensations, first-person view, caustic criticism of modern society through the view of 3 characters, super disturbing torture scene, etc.

Also, the game runs on my configuration without a hiccup, which is a feat.

Nah.

GTA V single player is awesome.

So intelligent the way they split it up between 3 main characters, each with unique, believable personalities and motivations. Also the map was incredible in size, scope & polish (esp. after the re-release on current gen hardware with improved textures, object density, and first-person view).

V was a monumental achievement in gaming.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I doubt MS tries to keep Ori 2 from being the same. I think they only care more about the super big budget first party stuff from ever hitting Steam. It will suck big time if it doesn't tho. The first Ori did really well on Steam too. It would probably be the single worst thing MS has done this gen if they go through with it. Unforgivable.

Cuphead and Voodoo Vince Remastered are actually self-published (across the board, that is, not just on Steam). The same can't be said for Ori, unfortunately.

kionedrik

The truth is you can't go wrong with any of those but they differ from each other in a lot of ways.

For instance, if you are looking for a more combat focused cRPG I'd pick ID, if you want something on the other side of the spectrum, more role-playing and dialogue, pick PS:T or Fallout 1 or 2 (personally i like 2 better), and somewhere in the middle of that spectrum you'll find BG and Arcanum.

My personal favorite is PS:T by a country mile so that's what I'd recommend.

edit: Just remembered that Neverwinter Nights games might be good for starters. They have all of the D&D and cRPG mechanics but aren't as hardcore or punishing as their older brothers.

Knurek

Look at Unravel.
It's the kind of a boneheaded move which doesn't help the corporation in any way and hurts the developer severely, so of course Microsoft will do it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Look at Unravel.
It's the kind of a boneheaded move which doesn't help the corporation in any way and hurts the developer severely, so of course Microsoft will do it.

I can't help but feel bad for Coldwood. Unravel entered development in the period between EA Partners and EA Originals, both of which ask only that EA has temporary publishing rights, so it has the dubious honour of being an indie game that EA owns outright. Talk about a raw deal.

Damnit, I just started Ori last night, about 5 hours in and when I went to play today I noticed that the Definitive edition is a separate game all together! I am guessing I have to start over now :(

Ladekabel

What's the opinion on SSHD hard disks? I would need to upgrade my HDD and need at least 500GB. An SSD in this category is a little bit too expensive for me currently.

Kssio_Aug

GTA V is one of the best games of this generation (or the previous). It is the opposite of nothing to lose.

Good game. But not the best GTA and much less the best game of this or past generation. Actually, I could easily skip the next GTA if it's on the same level.
My opinion of course, but a very sincere one.

Arthea

yeah, win10 store? no chances, not even one, unless hell freezes, steam, gog, uplay and origin all are bought by MS and merged with win10 store and even then, still no

Baldur's Gate 2: EE and Binding of Isaac Rebirth for $5ish each is intriguing to me, but I should probably hold off. I don't REALLY need more games to sink a fuck ton of hours into.

I already have the original Binding of Isaac, but still haven't tried it (maybe I'll do that later today). Is the remake/upgrade/whatever worth it? I'm assuming so due to the overwhelming amount of positive reviews haha I've only played a few games in this genre, most recently and notably Nuclear Throne (which I quite enjoyed).

BG2 is a tougher sell for me, as I've never played any game in the series and very few or none in the genre (might have played just a tiny bit of Icewind Dale, Pools of Radiance or something back in the day, can't recall). Also, I have no experience with D&D at all. I imagine it'll be a bit too tough and just beyond me. But still considering it..

louiedog

For as much money as they're making off the game, could stand to make it less of a grind and allow mods in some capacity. The game can be so much fun, but not when they restrict everything so much.

I started playing Online at last gen console launch and quit after like the 3rd "we removed this way to make easy money" patch. I just wanted to get up and over what felt like a hurdle to where I would have enough cash for it to feel like I had a little bit more freedom to have fun playing but they kept demanding it be a slow process. Shortly after I saw people were roaming around giving out millions in glitched money. I could have jumped in then but at that point I didn't care anymore.

I started playing Online at last gen console launch and quit after like the 3rd "we removed this way to make easy money" patch. I just wanted to get up and over what felt like a hurdle to where I would have enough cash for it to feel like I had a little bit more freedom to have fun playing but they kept demanding it be a slow process. Shortly after I saw people were roaming around giving out millions in glitched money. I could have jumped in then but at that point I didn't care anymore.

I stopped last gen too, and never got it for PC or PS4. For as barebones and amateaur the multi was for GTAIV, it had a couple fun, populated game types (cops & robbers), all weapons were available as pickups (rather than having to level up to get a shotgun) and deathmatches could take place all through the city (instead of the super limited deathmatches confined to single locations in V).

Having personal vehicles was great, but none of the most fun ones could be kept that way (buses, construction and emergency vehicles, cargo helicopters, etc.). Want to fly the cargo copter and take a bus full of friends on top of a mountain? good luck finding (and keeping) one. Anything that you could buy was really expensive and the earlier missions were just really basic.

Glitching was what kept me playing: getting a city bus as a personal vehicle was awesome because I could just roll around with 6 people inside covering every side, and if it got blown up, I could just have a new one delivered. Same with the armored truck, cargo copter, the tank ... so much fun.

People getting any vehicle as their personal one and putting billion dollar bounties on people should've been encouraged and folded into the game proper. That ecosystem with some refinements would've been better than the slow, tedious grind to get basic weapons, vehicles and lodgings that it ended up being. Not to mention the terrible matchmaking for the few really fun event missions (i.e. the one where two teams chase down a guy with a package, then have to deliver it to their own destination).

such potential. I'm sure a lot of that could've been mitigated by mods, but here we are

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
That area would've been near perfect if it wasn't for the stupidity of its optional boss. All 3 dlc areas are excellent but thanks to that I guess Sunken King is the worst of the 3.

Each of DSII's dlcs have one awful optional boss, and the areas leading up to those bosses are even worse. The (area spoilers)
Iron Passage, the Cave of the Dead, and the Frigid Outskirts
were all mistakes.

Sucks for Microsoft, I won't be buying either Ori 2 or Age of Empires. I got more than enough to play elsewhere.

And also, Fuck Take Two. They can keep Red Dead 2 cus they're gonna do the same year delay, double dip, micro transaction laced bullshit that GTAV went through. I'm fed up.

221 card drops remaining. I've still got a bunch of Humble games that I haven't added to library. Here come the sale funds.

Everytime I wonder why I still use Steam, then I remember. Free money.

I prefer GOG though, especially for older games. They just need to add a marketplace so I can make free money.

vermadas

Win store sucks, but not so much that I'll ignore great games if that's the only place they're available on PC. Same with Origin, same with Oculus. *shrug*

Durante

Tizoc

As a total newcomer to the series, is this a good place to start? All of the Binding of Isaac: XXX confuses the hell out of me, so not sure which to buy.
It helps to check the game's page on steam first, following that to play as per felease date

gabbo

My mind was repeatedly blown. As Aaron puts it, there are several innovations. To me: lots of activities with slightly different gameplay and good sensations, first-person view, caustic criticism of modern society through the view of 3 characters, super disturbing torture scene, etc.
So then, no it hasn't. They've added all kinds of extemporaneous features on top of what amounts to the same gameplay. I'm not calling it bad, I'm just saying, by what's been said, it' doesn't sound much more advanced, just more polished.

Endruen

As a total newcomer to the series, is this a good place to start? All of the Binding of Isaac: XXX confuses the hell out of me, so not sure which to buy.

Rebirth is the original Binding of Isaac + Wrath of the Lamb "remake". Afterbirth is a expansion to Rebirth. I'd suggest to skip the original and go directly to Rebirth.

So then, no it hasn't. They've added all kinds of extemporaneous features on top of what amounts to the same gameplay. I'm not calling it bad, I'm just saying, by what's been said, it' doesn't sound much more advanced, just more polished.

This describes all video games since, christ, I don't know, Super Mario 64?

Yeah, Rebirth is the best place to start for BoI. Don't bother with the original. The rest are just expansions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom