• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2017 - MASH ALL THE BUTTONS 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Banned
Never has a game's terrible quality of writing made me so absurdly irritated to see it praised.

But each to their own.

OMG! We're not alone in the world any more! There's at least two of us who get irritated by the "ZOMG LiS is great writing!!!11!!!1!!1" praise. Hallelujah. :D

Aaron D.

OMG! We're not alone in the world any more! There's at least two of us who get irritated by the "ZOMG LiS is great writing!!!11!!!1!!1" praise. Hallelujah. :D

Shrug.

I don't think LiS's writing quality was praised as much as the subject matter it explored.

School life, peer pressure, depression, parental strife, etc. were depicted in a generally authentic manner. Sure it could be seen as a mixed bag of quality, but it feels like the real-world grounded people and spaces made LiS a unique oddity in an industry obsessed with fantastical escapism and power fantasies.

The game scores a lot of points in my book on that element alone. But thankfully it was also wrapped in a pretty gorgeous presentation as well.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I care about reviews in an outside sense for others and observing general critical consensus, but I admit I rarely care about professional reviews for a game unless something I wasn't expecting to score high and had moderate interest in scores pretty well.

But that's very rare, I have a pretty good sense of what I'm interested in trying and like to forge my own opinion. It also helps I like games that professional critics almost never cover, and horror as a whole genre often has a harder time with critics (not just in gaming, in all mediums of horror, and there's certainly some reasons for that).

Ludens

Banned
What I need to do in order to unlock next story mission in AC Syndacate? The last one I did was the one were you steal a cart fearing the dude inside, I tried to clear territories for two hours but the next story mission doesn't pop, is the game bugged?

-MD-

I liked Life is Strange. It's a nice litmus test to tell me if a person has bad taste in video games. It's rare to find something so effective.

This is actually what I use LiS for as well, just the other way around.

Monooboe

What I need to do in order to unlock next story mission in AC Syndacate? The last one I did was the one were you steal a cart fearing the dude inside, I tried to clear territories for two hours but the next story mission doesn't pop, is the game bugged?

Have you checked on the train? Once I had one guy in the floor that gave me a mission and I found him completely accidently.

Monooboe

Aren't those missions side quests? Do I need to complete sides to unlock the next story mission?

You might be right, hmh was the first I thought of. Other than switching character I can't see quests be locked without clear way to progress unless it's bugged.

Ludens

Banned
You might be right, hmh was the first I thought of. Other than switching character I can't see quests be locked without clear way to progress unless it's bugged.

I tried to switch characters, but nothing appears on the map. I'll try to do those train missions tomorrow.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
8c33ca891e.gif

Smooth...

Here's more impressions, brought to you by Shade! (Thanks again, chum.) Lost Grimoires 2: Shard of Mystery, here we go!

The story: Full disclosure: Never played the first Lost Grimoires. I checked the store page for the first one, and... "This game doesn't look like other things you've played in the past." Let THAT one sink in a bit....ahhhhhh....okay, ready. So you play a nameless, seemingly middle-aged or possibly even elderly, female, medic to the king and nursemaid to the prince. The king is killed very early on when the prince is ... I'll guess six or so? It's unclear whether or not you're the regent at this point, but you apparently tutor Prince Fern with lessons in various things including alchemy. (Hang on, if you're teaching the prince alchemy, aren't you basically teaching yourself out of a job?) Turns out the force behind the king's death is the witch Drosera you imprisoned in a mirror in game 1 (shit, spoilers, sorry.) Part of her power managed to seep out when she managed to break a shard out of the mirror while inside it. She then kidnaps the prince using a honeypot: Rose, an orphan girl that Drosera raised for pretty much the purposes of revenge. It semi-backfires: Rose falls in for-realsies love with Fern, but still betrays him because Drosera now uses that love as leverage against HER and is all "if you don't do this it will be worse for them." So your job is to save Fern and then defeat Drosera once and for all.

It's a pretty bog-standard story, but it's told well enough. Fern does come across as whiny, sheltered, and borderline slow - "Rose betrayed us all! What? Do you really think she loves me?" - but eventually steps up to duty and courage in the end (the reversal is pretty sudden, actually, but I guess you can't have full story arcs in hidden-object games.) It would have been nice for them to figure out what the shard DOES exactly. Everyone seems to want the shard, but at some points it's implied that putting the shard back in the mirror will free Drosera, as opposed to keeping her imprisoned, which would make more sense.

The audio and dialogue: The voice acting is above average for these type of games (the protagonist sounds distinctly older than an Amy Robinson-like,) but at times there seem to be audio balancing issues: there were some scenes where it seemed like there was no spoken dialogue at all, but it was just REALLY quiet compared to the music and sound.

The gameplay: I don't know if it's because I'm becoming an old hand at these, but the hidden object scenes in these games appear to be getting way easier. I remember when the scenes were densely cluttered with all kinds of things that would make a hoarder blush, but now it seems as if the items you need to find are about half what's there. Maybe it was always like that, but I doubt it. This game in general was pretty easy. Perhaps I should have been tipped off when an opening scene has the medic explaining the events of the first game to 18-year-old Fern using a pop-up book.

The alchemy minigames are a match-3. It's easier than most match-3s in that you don't have to match all in a straight line, and you can match diagonally: as long as the same type is touching in some way you can match a long path. You have to match so many from given types of elements, and you're given a very healthy number of moves to do it. Challenge? What's that? Odder still, it feels like there are more match-3 games than there are hidden-object scenes! Does that classify this as a new genre? Who can say?

There are collectible missables in this game too, but these ones are super easy to spot. I think there was only one I needed help to find, and that's because it was partly off the top of my screen.

The graphics: The environments are better than average, the characters are hidden-objecty, although Rose is actually kinda pretty. I think they tried harder for her. Near the end of the game, they did the whole "screen shaking to represent calamity" thing. That's fine a couple of times, but to do it on a near-constant basis when you're trying to click on shit? Come on now!

The length: Steam profile says 3.3 hours. Got all achievements in the first run. Slightly longer than average.

The verdict: It's not that bad. Being too easy does take points off. If you're not looking for a big challenge, or if you've got a kid who likes king/prince/castle/evil witch type fantasy stuff, it might be good. Don't recommend for people who want their games to stop holding their hand and to kick them in the balls instead.

Momentary

Banned
Man ya'll got to let me know when a Tekken 7 SteamGAF tournament pops off or if it ever pops off.

Also... This built in migration feature on STEAM is pretty convenient.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
yeah it's good i mean i hate it you know what i mean

I do and figured, but had to comment. I love how different the House is from every other location in Condemned, though. It's a nice change of pace. And quite possibly the creepiest part of the game.

Village

Yo, uh anyone here like an active steam dev? I have a question, how does setting up the steam controller config for you game work, because there is a very weird situation with saints row 4.

To be brief , it seems like someone was trying to be helpful, and they made the situation worse. A bit of explanation, all the other games in my library when you go and customize the controller, use a generic non specific game pad set up, it seems to let the game handle itself, works fine. Saints row 4 decided it wanted to do a very specific set up where you can customize each mode of play, but it made the controls worse, turned the rumble off and no other control scheme works.

I'm asking do you have to like actively do something to create a spefiic control scheme on steam, because with every other game in my library it seems like the devs did nothing and the controls just defaulted? Its why I'm asking, i just didn't want to assume, but I have several year old games I know those companies have updated for years and I know they weren't going to a thing for a steam controller update unless it absolutely necessitated it, and volition is still messing with saints row. So i'm just assuming, they wanted to do something cool... it wasn't cool.

Its just weird

Monooboe

Ok so I haven't play that much yet of ReCore but I'm really liking it! Really weird how it kind of disappeared, I was quite expecting it to come to Steam at some point. Of course the rumored remaster could be a thing a E3.

Anteater

I do and figured, but had to comment. I love how different the House is from every other location in Condemned, though. It's a nice change of pace. And quite possibly the creepiest part of the game.

I actually like how the game is mission based so they can sorta keep it fresh, like you go from one place to another and they aren't really connected in terms of level design, but you just go there because the story wants you to, so each level has a different theme and can be different interms of theme and atmosphere

zkylon

zkylewd
It was high on my GOTY list as well but I have a bad feeling about possible season 2. More of the same? I doubt it's going to work nearly as well second time. Hopefully they are doing this because they have a really good and different (from the first season) idea, not because the first one was good and made money.
idk that's like what a series is, more of the same but hopefully progressing in an interesting manner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom