• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2017 - MASH ALL THE BUTTONS 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Right-o then since I've got a bunch of 2017 games to get through before I go back to clearing my Action category, gonna work my way through
RiME, lock's quest, Rise and Shine, Rakuen, World to the West, Birthdays the beginning

Will get around to Platinum games later this year.

zkylon

zkylewd
otNIryZ.png

started the andariel dlc, somehow like 6 hours had passed and it was beaten

i really, really liked it. it has some issues, but it was definitely a standout in dks3

the setting is nothing really special, dks 1 and 2 have already done snowy areas pretty well, but as a retreading of the painted world of ariamis, it does such a better job than the main game at letting you revisit areas from dks1 from an actual new perspective that gives a really interesting insight into it. it's just awesome to see this new version of the painted world, and i kept trying to try and match what i was playing to the map of dks1 i had in my head. i really wonder how well it matches up. this is the kind of references i would've hoped to see in dks3 instead of the very throwaway fan service we got.

the level design wasn't that special but i liked the variety and considering how tired i am these days, i enjoyed the easy trash mobs it threw at me. i also really enjoyed how broken some of the invisible walls were and i ended up breaking a lot of them and jumping over terrain like rocks and stuff and skipping stuff and doing weird crap like that. for some reason doing some of those broken jumps fill me with joy.

what i wasn't prepared for were the bugs. kinda wish someone would've warned me about them, but tbh they weren't my real issue. for some reason i felt like actually physically revolted in the rotten areas filled with mushrooms or eggs or whatever those things were. the giant flies themselves weren't triggering any phobias but something about those areas made me feel really uncomfortable and disgusted and even thinking about it makes me feel grossed out. it really was one of the most unpleasant experiences in the game but in a really strange way that i can kind of appreciate since it's probably just the game being surprisingly effective at disgusting me heh

finally the boss fights were one good one bad. the bad one is completely harmless but it's so lazy i'd say it barely qualifies as a boss fight. the good one tho, is great. took me like 15 tries and like an hour and a half but it's a really fun, fair, cool and surprising fight that it just was really difficult to execute properly. i really enjoy the story around it, it's probably my favorite story content in all of dks3, next to the lorian/lothric and sulyvann/aldritch stuff. it's also really sad in a way dks3 kind of never gets to be, and it gives yuria a few more lines which is great since that character is such a wasted potential.

i do wish there was better loot. i don't generally care about that stuff but it felt really weird to have this end game enemies keep dropping like low level upgrade items

overall really good dlc, it makes me very optimistic about the other one

other than that did the
izalith
bit cos that's short and idk, completitionism got the better of me, even if the area is pretty bad.

The first thing I did in Dark Souls 1 was spending hours stretched over days to defeat the abyss demon on the first encounter without the proper equipment, before even getting to Lordran for the first time.
He will go down.
i thought it'd be a demons souls thing when i played dks1 but yeah, here i kept trying cos it looked feasible (and also i had two souls games under my belt)

Wow, wow, wow, I have missed the fact Marc ten Bosch has released something. Not Miegakure though.

yeah he posted about it today

i'm thinking about buying it and bringing it to play it on the vive at work

then again spending even more time at work even if it's to play videogames doesn't sound like the thing i want to do most

Welcome to the internet. Where even the slightest criticism is taken as an assault on mankind.
eh, i didn't really take offense, just thought ppl were focusing on the wrong thing

And an incorrect assertion can be a "technicality" :p
the $5000 number made a splash in the dev community so i think other people than me also found it really worrying at the time

it's a technicality cos whatever the words they used, it doesn't change what i was saying that mentioning numbers like those is pretty insensitive

sigh..

Looks like Telltale are going to announce Minecraft Story Mode Season 2, game about James Bond:
DBWBX6TXkAA0z3m.jpg

and Tales from the Borderlands Season 2:
DBWBX6SXYAAnHRP.jpg

First season of Tales from the Borderland was my GOTY 2015, so S02 is going to be my first preordered Telltale game in recent years. If all this info is true of course, it's still only rumors thought.

Sorry The Wolf Among Us fans, dream is dead.
tales from the boredlands was really good. i'm glad they're sticking to those characters, i want more time with them

i also think i might preorder it, i really loved season 1

chronomac

Extras:
ModBot said:
Instructions for chronomac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Volgarr the Viking -- MB-1F14568B0DD7BCC7 - Taken by Regginator. 1 entrants total.
Westerado: Double Barreled -- MB-CE25684210E7AB0D - Taken by White Wolf. 1 entrants total.

t1496493643z1.png

Tizoc

Looks like Telltale are going to announce Minecraft Story Mode Season 2, game about James Bond:
DBWBX6TXkAA0z3m.jpg

DBWBX6SXYAAnHRP.jpg

First season of Tales from the Borderland was my GOTY 2015, so S02 is going to be my first preordered Telltale game in recent years. If all this info is true of course, it's still only rumors thought.

Woah what what what
Hype for tales from BLands but a 007 game sounds cool too.

Anno

I welcome more Tales from the Borderlands. I hope the writing holds up though now that Pierre left. I think he was lead writer on at least three of the episodes and general narrative director.

BasilZero

2mUIuoG.png

100%'d Tekken 7, it was very straight forward and required minimal online play, which is nice; no 10 win streak in ranked required. Only some of the later fights in story mode gave me a problem, and that was on Normal so I can only imagine some of those fights on a harder difficulty, yeesh. I like Treasure Battle and the loot system a lot and the game is really generous with giving out coins so you're constantly getting rewarded, like getting 20k coins for losing online matches. Awesome to see so many on my friends list picking it up, if anyone wants to arrange a tournament or just mess around in player matches some time, feel free to send an invite!

Damn! Already :D!?

I'll be getting this sometime in the future.

Really happy you enjoyed the game and its great to hear this was a great PC port.

Tales From the Borderland 2 is great news. Really hope it's the same team.

The Minecraft adventures, though... I can't bring myself to try it. The block aesthetic is enough to scare me away, I guess--it ruins the paper-thin immersion I get from TellTale cinematic adventures.

And 007? If it's anything like the Batman game, hard pass. Action and the Telltale engine are oil and water; never should they mix.

Phinor

tales from the boredlands was really good. i'm glad they're sticking to those characters, i want more time with them

i also think i might preorder it, i really loved season 1

It was high on my GOTY list as well but I have a bad feeling about possible season 2. More of the same? I doubt it's going to work nearly as well second time. Hopefully they are doing this because they have a really good and different (from the first season) idea, not because the first one was good and made money.

Hektor

DBWBX6TXkAA0z3m.jpg

DBWBX6SXYAAnHRP.jpg

But what about a new engine

Ladekabel

DBWBX6SXYAAnHRP.jpg

Yes! Best Telltale game
and best Borderlands game :p
!

NeoRaider

TFTB was good. But far from GOTY material. I liked it a lot and would play Season 2 for sure, but it's not GOTY.

DBWBX6TXkAA0z3m.jpg

DBWBX6SXYAAnHRP.jpg

What about Sam & Max fans? What about our dead dreams?
:'(

Jawmuncher

007 could be interesting. I figured someone would pick up the franchise again at some point. I do agree about a new engine though. Sadly not gonna happen when these games make a lot of money on phones.

TFTB was good. But far from GOTY material. I liked it a lot and would play Season 2 for sure, but it's not GOTY.
Actually you're right, TftB was amazing and definitely best adventure game of 2015, but not GOTY. Ori and the Blind Forest was 2015 GOTY.
What about Sam & Max fans? What about our dead dreams?
:'(
Don't worry, you'll see them again
in Poker Night 3

I'm Sam & Max fan too :'(

Wok

I'd say the worst part of Yooka Laylee is the
flight power up
. The controls on that are way too frustrating than they should be.

By the way, you should stop playing YL and wait for the promised patch.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
All I know is 2015 was a great year for indie horror games.

SOMA, Fran Bow, Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion, Sylvio, Sunless Sea, The Coma: Cutting Class, Monstrum, The Music Machine, Lakeview Cabin Collection, Into The Gloom, Emily Wants To Play, The Ritual on Weylyn Island, Reveal the Deep, Boogeyman, Close Your Eyes *cough*, Sound of Drop - fall into poison -, Pathologic Classic HD (kind of indie...), Electric Highways, The Park, A Wolf in Autumn, DISTRAINT, Masochisia, Nevermind, Stairs, BloodLust Shadowhunter, I Can't Escape: Darkness, Albino Lullaby: Episode 1, Dungeon Nightmares II : The Memory, The Cursed Forest, Stray Cat Crossing, Last Half of Darkness - Society of the Serpent Moon, Quadrant, Homesick, Malebolgia, The Charnel House Trilogy, Space Beast Terror Fright, Shutter, Spirits of Xanadu, Dreaming Sarah, ENIGMA : An Illusion Named Family, Zombie Army Trilogy, White Night, Decay: The Mare, Astray, and many others released that year.

There's a Sam and Max in Life is Strange. That ticks all the boxes, I think:
  • [✓] Adventure Game
  • [✓] Sam
  • [✓] Max
So TellTale probably considers the audience satisfied. Especially with a LiS prequel theoretically on the horizon.

Monooboe

2015 was great for me, since I prefer open world RPGs and we got 3 heavy hitters and one of the best I've played with Witcher 3. Man it was a great year.

Looking at NeoGAF 2015 GotY list, Tales from the Borderlands was the only game there I actually played that year (unless the five hours I spent with MGSV counts), so I suppose it wins by default.

Between then and now, I've add Life Is Strange, The Witcher 3, Trails in the Sky SC and Trails of Cold Steel into my played library. Between those... Sky SC, I guess.

There's a Sam and Max in Life is Strange. That ticks all the boxes, I think:
  • [✓] Adventure Game
  • [✓] Sam
  • [✓] Max
So TellTale probably considers the audience satisfied. Especially with a LiS prequel theoretically on the horizon.

But Life is Strange is one of the worst-written games I've ever played, whereas The Devil's Playhouse is one of the best...

Lain

WTF is up with Steam? First Yooka Laylee needed me to restart the Steam client so I can run the game. Now King's Quest 2015 is giving me an odd error message.
I revalidated files and now I'll restart the client and see if the game will run normally.
It's like ever since the last update certain games had files missing from them.

I had to restart Steam to get Dies Irae to start myself. It was pretty weird.

bbd23

Cards now also drop retroactively. It recently received cards and you've played enough of it in the past to qualify for two drops.

is that in already? only for certain games? I didnt get any little nightmare cards after they added them :(

BasilZero

DBWBX6TXkAA0z3m.jpg

DBWBX6SXYAAnHRP.jpg

Happy for sequel to Tales from Borderlands, love the series , plan to get into borderlands 2 again soon (to finish it this time). Will get season 1 soon, maybe this summer sale?

But Minecraft story mode? Really.....

Saty

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-06-02-portalarium-opens-the-books-for-equity-crowdfunding

https://www.seedinvest.com/portalarium/series.b

More than four years after its Kickstarter campaign for Shroud of the Avatar, Richard Garriott's Portalarium is returning to crowdfunding. However, this time around the company hopes to raise money through equity crowdfunding, offering some ownership in Portalarium itself in addition to backer rewards for a game.

The campaign is hosted by SeedInvest with a maximum of $2 million of equity available, or about 8% of the company. There's a $500 minimum investment, and Portalarium must raise a total of $500,000 to close the round, otherwise all money will be returned to investors. The money is being raised "to fund marketing and monthly dev updates around launch."

Portalarium also provided quarterly revenue projections showing its expectations for Shroud of the Avatar. Over the game's first two years, the studio gives $20,000,000 in revenue as the game's base scenario, with a bullish outlook of $50,000,000 and a low-end expectation of $5,000,000.

Interesting info from the campaign:

SoTA has been the second most crowdfunded game with $11M funding from the player base. About $2M was from Kickstarter which was a finite 30-day campaign and then we transitioned the crowdfunding to our own site.

All our work to date is for Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues, which we often refer to as Episode 1.

In the future, we plan releases of a new story / episode with additional territory as additional new episodes. Players will likely be charged $45 for each new episode. We will start developing Episode 2 after we have launched Episode 1 and expect to launch additional episodes every 18 months or so.

As of May 17th our current cash position is $528k, and we have one of our periodic telethons coming up which commonly net us in excess of $100k additional funds.

The Company currently requires approximately $230,000 a month to sustain operations.

I paid US$45 for that game, and it changed so much from the original pitch that I feel a bit scammed. They also tried to "innovate" combat with a deck system that isn't fun, people told them as much, and after promising to remove it if it was still not fun... they kept it.
Pretty disappointed with Garriott.

NeoRaider

He said it was alright, that's already pretty generous.

Dem low standards...
What are Telltale games if "alright" is pretty generous for LiS? (Dontnod's first Adventure game).

No wonder Telltale have free pass and they continue releasing games with technical issues and crappy animations for years.

Jawmuncher

Dem low standards...
What are Telltale games if "alright" is pretty generous for LiS? (Dontnod's first Adventure game).

No wonder Telltale have free pass and they continue releasing games with technical issues and crappy animations for years.

TT got DONTNOD beat in the story department tho

-MD-

Dem low standards...

Telltale's nothing hella special either.

Wolf Among Us was pretty decent, certainly better than LiS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom