• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2017 - MASH ALL THE BUTTONS 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

illusionary

Looks like Telltale are going to announce Minecraft Story Mode Season 2, game about James Bond:
DBWBX6TXkAA0z3m.jpg

and Tales from the Borderlands Season 2:
DBWBX6SXYAAnHRP.jpg

First season of Tales from the Borderland was my GOTY 2015, so S02 is going to be my first preordered Telltale game in recent years. If all this info is true of course, it's still only rumors thought.

Sorry The Wolf Among Us fans, dream is dead.
I'd definitely be up for a James Bond game from them - I look forward to hearing more!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
is that in already? only for certain games? I didnt get any little nightmare cards after they added them :(
I haven't seen that happen for any games I have yet. Only happens for games that have added cards since that new feature?

Yeah, as is generally the case with Valve, the confidence metric wasn't implemented in a retroactive manner; it didn't press pause on trading cards that had already been approved under the previous system. It looks like Little Nightmare's cards were approved just days before the change.

I join the 100% Tekken team
aa92b8813d.jpg

Install these fonts. Pixelvision was designed with them in mind.

eyeless

is it possible to subscribe to humble monthly for a month activate ds2 then immediately unsubscribe with no fuss so they don't auto-renew? just want to make sure

Nabs

is it possible to subscribe to humble monthly for a month activate ds2 then immediately unsubscribe with no fuss so they don't auto-renew? just want to make sure

Yeah. You can unsubscribe immediately once you receive Dark Souls 2. You'll still get your games at the end of the month, but you'll miss out on the extra -10% in the Humble Store.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yeah. You can unsubscribe immediately once you receive Dark Souls 2. You'll still get your games at the end of the month, but you'll miss out on the extra -10% in the Humble Store.

no you wont. When you pay you are "subscribed", so you will keep the 10% off until the next month

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
any Path of Exile experts around?

are there pet specific passives in that ridiculous giant talent sphere, or do I just go with the int stuff and shit?

I want to get all the pets, I heard you can go stupid Diablo 2 style necro with a huge army in this game.

Anno

any Path of Exile experts around?

are there pet specific passives in that ridiculous giant talent sphere, or do I just go with the int stuff and shit?

I want to get all the pets, I heard you can go stupid Diablo 2 style necro with a huge army in this game.

There are definitely pet specific passives. It's one of the reasons you can get such a huge army as they slowly increase your max number of the various summons. You'll pick up a lot of non-pet stuff as well, though.

Rhaknar

There are definitely pet specific passives. It's one of the reasons you can get such a huge army as they slowly increase your max number of the various summons. You'll pick up a lot of non-pet stuff as well, though.

how the fuck do I find them in that mess then? help

Anno

how the fuck do I find them in that mess then? help

I always used PoEPlanner. Just search for Minion in the bottom bar I think. There shouldn't be a ton, but there's a crap load of equipment that'll help further flesh our minion master/zoo builds.

A lot of the game you kinda just have to learn by fumbling around, though. The multiplayer economy especially.

oni-link

Playing Steamworld Heist and for the life of me can't seem to figure out how to upgrade and/or assign skills

Every mission it keeps telling me I have one unequipt skill point but when you open the abilities page it just lists them

Arkham Knight spoilers:

Everybody is dropping like flies. Batman still thinking he can handle it. Catwoman let go because apparently she has Batman whipped.

Rhaknar

I always used PoEPlanner. Just search for Minion in the bottom bar I think. There shouldn't be a ton, but there's a crap load of equipment that'll help further flesh our minion master/zoo builds.

A lot of the game you kinda just have to learn by fumbling around, though. The multiplayer economy especially.

perfect ty

I noticed that the map is still trash-tier btw, how the fuck did they not change that in all these years

Etrigan

Neo Member
Playing Steamworld Heist and for the life of me can't seem to figure out how to upgrade and/or assign skills

Every mission it keeps telling me I have one unequipt skill point but when you open the abilities page it just lists them

The way I remember playing it, after every mission, it'll tallying up points and when a character levels up, it displays the next screen which will show you what new skill/attribute they obtained automatically. There's no RPG schematic where you can pick and choose what characters can have. Nor have seen in my playthrough alerting me to unused skill points. This is for the PC version so not sure if the other platforms differ.

Pachimari

Bought Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and a Switch Pro controller today. Guess I won't be there for the Steam summer sale. I'll be there for the Winter sale though. At least all the Delta Force games are 75% off at the moment.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The writing in Life is Strange is hella to the Maximus!

I dunno, I think it's cute.

I rather listen hella and shaka brah than the kids Ive been listening saying liiiiiiiiiiit when my brother was playing Friday The 13th. It actually less annoying than the vocabulary used by teens these days.

I had free time this Saturday, so why not knock out hidden object game #3 courtesy of Shade (my generous benefactor?) Here we go with Queen's Quest: Tower of Darkness.

The story: You play...the Queen. (The opening cutscene calls her a Princess, but I guess she becomes a queen when she gets married? This seems to be a thing with hidden-object games, where upon marriage the parents commit ritual suicide.) Said Queen has no name: she's just "my Queen" or "m'lady" (*tips fedora-shaped knight helmet*) - which is a really weird decision since her husband gets a name: Prince Henrik.Anyway, fast forward to when you get a baby, your court wizard and the baby's godfather gives a present: a caged fairy(!) that's bonded to the baby as a kind of servant(!!) wrapped up in a box without airholes(!!!) I guess fairies don't really have human rights in this world. Anyway, shortly after the fairy is shown, evil wizard is all "That baby is mine, I'll be taking that. Yoink!" and the Queen is all "oh no you di'n't" so evil wizard turns Prince Henrik to stone and wrecks your castle's shit with a huge mechanical dragon. Your job in the main story: Get yo baby! Your job in the bonus chapter: Oh yeah, save your husband too I guess.

It's revealed later on in the story that your husband was born into a poor family and entered a contract with the evil wizard: princehood in exchange for the first-born baby. It's never addressed how you feel about this, how you were basically manipulated from the start by your husband, but apparently you stick by him. The wizard wants the baby to perpetuate his immortality and put his mind into a new body. (Wait a minute, he wants a baby girl for this? Is he okay with swapping genders? Nobody else was in the tower, how is he - or possibly now she - going to survive in a baby's body? Hmm...well he did keep telling the Queen she'd never make it to the Dark Tower; maybe he'll be like Mordred and start eating people in a spider-like baby form.) Spoilers: you disrupt the ritual, which conveniently only required "the use of any technology." There was a convenient huge machine of indeterminate use right in the chamber, almost DARING you to disrupt it...but you also had to assemble a mechanical owl to get to that point; why couldn't you have used that? Heck, you could have rubbed two sticks together to make fire...used a wheel...spun a fairy fidget spinner. That ritual has incredible vulnerability. Also the fairy dies helping you save your baby. There's a brief death scene and then moving on to the celebration, kinda cementing the fact that nobody really gives a fuck about fairies.

One of the downfalls of these sorts of games is that the protagonist always has to favour-trade or encounters obstacles from other characters. But when they're the queen, things break down. "My queen, the city is under siege! I'm under orders not to let anyone through until the flag flies up the tower." The immediate response wasn't..."Under orders from WHO? May I remind you who I am? What's your name? You know what, it's not important, you're fired."

"My queen, help me put out this fire!" "How does the captain of the guard not know how to open a grate to turn on the water valve so they can operate a hose? You're telling ME to do this?"

"Thanks for finding my needlepoint! Have this as a token of my gratitude." "This is a vital part of the royal telescope. Did you filch this just so you had some leverage for me to find your needlepoint? GUARDS! Get the guillotine ready. We're beheading this crazy old lady."

How odd that two stories in a row are "prince/princess/castle/evil wizard" type stories. Simple stuff, but could have been told way better. Lots of strange turns of phrase. "None of the suitors was interesting to her heart." That sort of thing.

The dialogue and audio: Again, lots of translation jank. Some of the voice acting doesn't match up with the written dialogue - possibly because the actors realized the text sounded weird? We can only hope. The voice acting in this is fair to middling. At least the pirates delivered their lines - badly written though they were - with some relish.

The graphics: DON'T watch the character's lips too closely when they talk. They do that creepy distortion-animation thing, like rather than draw a new mouth position, they just dragged some vertices around. (Time Mysteries Inheritance did the same thing. It was worse in that one, but it's still bad in this.) Apart from that, it's okay.

The gameplay: Ah, finally, something more challenging! The hidden object scenes were slightly tougher than those previous two games, and the minigames significantly so. You get achievements for not skipping all the minigames, and at times I really did want to anyway (those stupid rope untangling puzzles!) The hidden object achievements were especially nerve wracking: in most games of this type, you get a cheevo for not misclicking more than four times in a scene. In this? You can't misclick ONCE. ...For three HO scenes in a ROW. "That's okay, I'll just be extra cautious about where I click." Only some of the objects are morphing objects. So if you find the right object, but it morphs as you click on it, sucks to be you. Luckily this didn't happen to me, but I was pretty nervous. Then they add easy-mode achievements like "complete the tutorial" (which is not even available in expert mode, so if you chose this, you gotta replay in easy mode,) and "use the hint button 40 times." I chose not to use it once in the main story playthrough. I used it in the bonus chapter only to see that the recharge is MEGA slow in expert mode, and constantly makes the sand-shifting noise, which sounds more like someone taking a deep sniff. Unsettling! So I stuck to using the hint button in easy mode, second playthrough.

Translation and sloppiness abounded in the hidden-object scenes though. Some words spelled wrong, and in some cases more than one thing can possibly apply to a word. Once they wanted a "knight," and there were both a statue of a knight, and a chess knight. A "bow?" There was both a ribbon bow and a violin bow. If you're going for no misclicks, and you click the wrong knight or bow, you'd be justifiably pissed off.

The length: 3.9 hours to do the main game, bonus chapter, replay of some of the main game for the tutorial and hint button achievements, and a few minutes trying to find the very first cutscene, which doesn't even play for new accounts. I had to check it out on Youtube. It was to verify that the queen had no name. So I'd call that shorter than average for a game with a bonus chapter.

The verdict: This one was okay. Not great, not bad, just...in the middle. It earned those "mixed reviews." At least it wasn't mind-numbingly easy. I wouldn't say I recommend, but I wouldn't say avoid it either. Maybe if you got it in a bundle, it might be worth your time.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

K7GXagI.png

Mystery Giveaway -- MB-3DE245E527227BC7 - Taken by pantsattack. 2 entrants total.
Mystery Giveaway #2 -- MB-F248A08AF6CCD0DE - Taken by Vazra. 1 entrants total.

t1496545563z1.png

Wolfenstein TNO, is such an enjoyable shooter. I haven't enjoyed an AAA shooter so much in such a long time. It feels like Half Life 2 did back when. Interesting world, solid art, human enemies and annoying fliers, and while HL2 has way too much driving Wolfenstein has literally 5 seconds of it. And no dragging physics puzzles. Man, the pacing of HL2 really doesn't hold up.
Is the Lego the Movie - Videogame any good? What about Lego Batman 3?

It's pretty enjoyable. I've played it more than 30 hours with my kid. The cutscenes are videos of the movie itself so for our family of Lego Movie superfans it's much more solid than the other Lego games. The kid hasn't seen any of the media for Star Wars/Marvel etc. so they're not nearly as engaged.

Wolfenstein TNO, is such an enjoyable shooter. I haven't enjoyed an AAA shooter so much in such a long time. It feels like Half Life 2 did back when. Interesting world, solid art, human enemies and annoying fliers, and while HL2 has way too much driving Wolfenstein has literally 5 seconds of it. And no dragging physics puzzles. Man, the pacing of HL2 really doesn't hold up.
Wolfenstein was really good, even despite my distaste towards the FPS gimmick of dual wielding. I could get over that, but what really kills my interest in replaying it is how nothing is automatically picked up -- which is incredibly bizarre for a game that tries to return-to-form with some classic FPS tropes. Walking through the corpses of a finished encounter furiously mashing the E key trying to pick up all the health, armour, and ammo scattered about and I just could not fathom why they thought that was a good idea. Health I can understand not always picking up because of the way health overcharge works, but I am never not going to pick up ammo, so why have that bothersome interaction?!

Slingshot People QUOTE HERE - Has Cards

Wolfenstein was really good, even despite my distaste towards the FPS gimmick of dual wielding. I could get over that, but what really kills my interest in replaying it is how nothing is automatically picked up -- which is incredibly bizarre for a game that tries to return-to-form with some classic FPS tropes. Walking through the corpses of a finished encounter furiously mashing the E key trying to pick up all the health, armour, and ammo scattered about and I just could not fathom why they thought that was a good idea. Health I can understand not always picking up because of the way health overcharge works, but I am never not going to pick up ammo, so why have that bothersome interaction?!

Good points - although I haven't broken the habit of leaving things behind so they're there when I need it. Barely anything in the world is interactable if they didn't have that, maybe that's why it is how it is.

Rhaknar

huh Path of Exile has the most D2 Necromancer possibility of any of these games i've seen, dunno how it slipped by me. Whats the F2P catch? The small inventory? The rest seems pretty fucking complete?

huh Path of Exile has the most D2 Necromancer possibility of any of these games i've seen, dunno how it slipped by me. Whats the F2P catch? The small inventory? The rest seems pretty fucking complete?
Yeah no that's about it, you can buy cosmetics as well. Most people dish out their dosh just out of respect to the game rather than any real design incentive making it necessary.

The stash tabs and trading. If you ever want to sell items or start to really get into the game, you'll need to spend some decent money on public stash tabs and at minimum a currency tab.

There's currently a stash tab sale going on at the moment. Now's the time to spend some money on some tabs. I suggest starting out with at least one currency and one quad stash tab. Additionally an essence and card tab as well, if you don't mind shelling out around $60 or so. Not really sure how much each cost.

Rhaknar

The stash tabs and trading. If you ever want to sell items or start to really get into the game, you'll need to spend some decent money on public stash tabs and at minimum a currency tab.

There's currently a stash tab sale going on at the moment. Now's the time to spend some money on some tabs. I suggest starting out with at least one currency and one quad stash tab. Additionally an essence and card tab as well, if you don't mind shelling out around $60 or so. Not really sure how much each cost.

or, I spend zero dollars (well euros) and I continue to randomly walk around with zombie and skeletons until I get bored. That sounds like a better idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom