• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2017 - MASH ALL THE BUTTONS 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa, what?

I know they own the Fallout IP and all but... No.

There have been nods to each other's universes in both games but I seriously doubt they are joined in any serious way. Probably just the artists and designers just throwing in Easter eggs. Similar to how TSR was linking Dungeon's and Dragon's to Gamma Worlrd back in the late 70s.

Youtubers have been coming up will all sorts of theories that Fallout is actually Elder Scroll's distant past.

Teeth

That's good to know. Guess I'll get myself a mace or something as secondary weapon.

Lol yeah, I killed off nearly everythnig there. ...Not because I wanted, it just happened naturally while trying to get through...

In other DkS2 news: The Flexile Sentry is a fucking awesome idea.

You're definitely going to want a secondary weapon of some sort; DS2 heavily incentivizes finding multiple weapons that you like and actively using a variety of them.

1) There's a ton more titanite in the game and it's relatively easy to buy later on (except Slabs, of course).

2) Weapons wear out way faster, but auto regenerate at bonfires. Later on, you may find that just killing most of the enemies on the way to a boss drops its durability down so far that the weapon would break killing the boss with it. In these cases, it's good to have a "level" weapon and then a "boss" weapon and being comfortable with both.

3) In the DLC sections (which are the best parts of the game), some of the bosses have so much health that it takes more than an entire weapon's worth of durability to kill them. Two weapons or repair powder is necessary.

4) Some weapons are extremely fragile - the katanas especially, though some of the big heavy weapons drop really quick too.

Don't give up, skeleton!

Dinjoralo

Thats a strange question, since its a completely different kind of fighting game.

Well, I'm hoping it's not gonna be like most fighting games where I end up in a frenzy of mashing buttons because shit can start happening faster than I can try and figure things out. Or something like that, I'mm not sure myself.

And here we go with part 4 in a series, courtesy of Shade (thanks once again!) Saving the best for last, your impressions for Grim Legends 3: The Dark City.

The story: You play Sylvia (no last name,) a member of a group known simply as "The Order," tasked with saving the world from supernatural threats. You lost your memory in an accident last year (amnesiac hero trope, go!) and that point is addressed later but the twist isn't what I thought it would be. Anyway, an exiled member of the Order steals a magical stone from the Order's treasury and inadvertently sets free a city-destroying entity known as a Koshmaar, which can acquire host bodies and then enslave people who wronged the host in some way. You have to stop the monster and save the enslaved people. Also, figure out what the deal is with this exiled member, anyway.

In the bonus chapter, you play the exiled member in events after the resolution of the main story.

In all, it's well done. Lots of cutscenes, characters parkouring up buildings and wearing hoods like it's Assassin's Creed, bits of lore here and there about the Order to flesh things out. Pretty exciting stuff. Bonus that you're not required to play Grim Legends 1 and 2 to catch up with this story. It stands alone.

Edit: I forgot to mention that there are lampshaded tropes throughout the game in little bits of flavour text, acknowledging that some things in hidden object games are inherently silly: "People shouldn't leave secret codes lying around. But they do. All the time." "This sewer system is suspiciously secure." I just love how your character is basically thinking the same things you are.

The audio and dialogue: The text has some minor spelling errors here and there, a dropped "a," that sort of thing, but the voice actors managed to correct on the fly. Decent voice acting in this. Emotive without being too crazy. It's no King's Quest with Christopher Lloyd, but for a hidden object game it was good.

The graphics: Did I mention the cutscenes? A nice touch. They did seem in lower resolution than the rest of the game, but I get that in casual games like this, they can't really push technological boundaries lest casual gamers find they no longer meet system requirements. (Also, one of the achievements doesn't refer to "misclicks" but rather "mistaps," which leads me to believe this game is actually a mobile port.) Still, with what they could work with, it's one of the best looking hidden-object games out there.

The gameplay: The hidden-object scenes are mostly a fair challenge, with some infamously frustrating ones (in one you're shown a picture of a circular frame, but in scene, it's turned fully sideways so it looks more like a rod. Another had a full-colour image but it was more a monocolour reflection in another object.) The minigames are mostly standard, but achievements kinda ruined this one. They give achievements for accomplishing certain minigames within three minutes. The last one is pretty tough, and even though in post-game you can redo the minigames, you don't get achievements for it. That's especially painful for the achievement for "finishing a hidden object scene in less than 20 seconds." You basically have to replay the game to get that one. I got all the achievements but one. I'll probably replay it in easy mode to get to that point.

The length: Steam profile says 4.7 hours. That's for the main game, the bonus chapter, about 40 minutes for that time it didn't recognize achievements or my profile, practicing hidden-object scenes to see if I could get the achievement - I didn't - and a bit of replay to actually get an achievement. So it's probably somewhere between 3.5 and 4 hours. Longer than the average game.

The verdict: Boy am I glad I saved this one for last. Artifex Mundi outdid themselves. Probably the best hidden-object game on the market today, and a good game in general. If you don't like this game, you don't like the genre. Period. Heartily recommend.

zkylon

zkylewd
Same reason people bother to discuss video games on an internet forum, i guess.
idk, i like talking politics but not with random strangers on the internet

videogames are easier, tho i also don't do much discussing

i don't think internet forums are good for discussion lol

Seriously, what the heck is wrong with Vanquish color filter?

I can't remember last time i saw game with so badly crushed blacks, it's impossible to see what's going on in some battles. Any way to fix this? I tried to disable HDR in settings but it didn't helped.
yeah i remember it not being much of a looker

bayonetta had a similar problem, everything looked super gold so it was hard to tell what was on screen sometimes

Kyougar

Looking at Walking Dead A new Frontier
header.jpg

Similar to games you've played:

header.jpg

0.1 Std. seit Aufzeichnungsbeginn

uhh, maybe? I dont know Steam

Is A New Frontier finished? And how does it compare to the first 2 seasons?

gngf123

I'm annoyingly tempted to pick up Tekken 7... It's slower than Street Fighter, right?

Compared to SFV, I actually find it quite a bit faster. It's a completely different type of fighting game though.

It's great fun so far. I haven't enjoyed a fighting game this much in ages.

as someone who is complete trash at fighting games i hate how when i lose a round in tekken 7's story i gotta restart the fight but then i gotta beat whoever I'm fighting twice :( almost every fight takes me 2 or 3 attempts, sometimes more.

I'm annoyingly tempted to pick up Tekken 7... It's slower than Street Fighter, right?
I'd say its a faster game

Parsnip

Finished Ys II.

It's definitely a better game than Ys I, but the overall dungeon design is still kind of bad. Nonsensical maze like dungeons where everything kind of looks the same, meeh.

Hopefully the later games are better in that area.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is A New Frontier finished? And how does it compare to the first 2 seasons?

They released the final episode just last week. I really liked this season and would put it somewhere below the first season but above the second.

FLD

Finished Ys II.

It's definitely a better game than Ys I, but the overall dungeon design is still kind of bad. Nonsensical maze like dungeons where everything kind of looks the same, meeh.

Hopefully the later games are better in that area.

Ys I & II are completely different from the rest of the series. To the point where it's probably better to get them out of the way first, if only because going back to them after playing the others would feel like a massive step down. You should play either Oath in Felghana or Ys Origin next, and then you'll see why people love the series so much. That's when the series really gets good.

Corpekata

Banned
Ys 1 and 2 at this point are curiosities meant more for the superfans than decent entry points, sort of like starting with the first Final Fantasies these days.

I've used a 360 controller and the little usb adapter thing microsoft sells to play certain PC games with it for ages but now my 360 controllers are starting to go and I vastly prefer the DS4. Do I need to do any special setup for the DS4 or can I just plug the charging cable in to a usb port on my PC, connect the DS4 and be good to go? Any way to make it wireless?

Also I liked TWD S1 well enough even if I preferred A Wolf Among Us, I tried playing season 2 (same pc, same steam etc.) and it didn't import anything so I didn't bother. I'm sure there's a workaround somewhere but the series was just eh to me so I haven't spent any significant time looking for a fix. I'll get around to it some day.

The elevator mission in Superhot is annoying. I eventually managed to get behind the guy on the left and punch his gun into the other two knocking the guns out of their respective hands!

The elevator mission in Superhot is annoying. I eventually managed to get behind the guy on the left and punch his gun into the other two knocking the guns out of their respective hands!

Superhot is fucking amazing for me so far. Between that, DOOM and Titanfall 2 - 2016 was probably the best year for FPS campaigns in ages.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
You really should. Great single player with a specific stage that is going to hold up for many years to come as one of the best.

Amzin

I love singleplayer FPS campaigns and Titanfall 2 is probably tied for my absolute favorite along with Wolfenstein:TNO. It's been a hell of a few years.

SUPERHOT wasn't really FPS to me, it was (as others have suggested) more of a puzzle game, which the elevator level really solidified in my mind. That level was frustrating at first but ultimately very satisfying once you figure out a way to beat it.

Superhot is fucking amazing for me so far. Between that, DOOM and Titanfall 2 - 2016 was probably the best year for FPS campaigns in ages.

I just started the Titanfall 2 campaign last night on my PS4. It's fantastic so far, I'm up to where you have to make your way through
a factory making pre-fab houses. Best level design I've seen in ages.

You really should. Great single player with a specific stage that is going to hold up for many years to come as one of the best.
I just haven't had a reason to actually install Origin yet, but I have an EA account from needing one for Mass Effect 2 and Skate 2. It had been hijacked at some point by Russians and while I've got it back, my secret question is still something in Cryllic and man, what a drag. But it's had enough buzz at this point that I can be arsed to scoop up a copy next time it's on sale.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Plague Inc: Evolved -- MB-994A4E82049EE702 - Taken by Vastag. 19 entrants total.

t1496653298z1.png

Finished up CrossCells after about two and half hours.

I found it far more enjoyable than SquareCells, but it still doesn't measure up to the Hex games.

Even Tekken 7 couldn't escape the grasp of Idolmaster.

The director of the game is a fan and friends with that series head... there was no way it wasn't happening. Did not need a datamine to see it happening.
its also clearly in the credits of arcade mode
not to mention many other namco original titles have had idol master add-ons since the 360 days.

Momentary

Banned
Yeah TEKKEN 7 holding back items that are already in the gam3 and have been available at the arcades is just wrong. I figured it would already be included and that the paid season pass would be for all new stuff.

I don't think Harass had a choice in this matter. This seems like and business person's decision to cut content. So lame.

I just started the Titanfall 2 campaign last night on my PS4. It's fantastic so far, I'm up to where you have to make your way through
a factory making pre-fab houses. Best level design I've seen in ages.

That's when it starts to get amazing. That's not even the best level though ;)

*Sees people talking about playing new games, am currently focused on replaying Mass Effect then focusing on my backlog of older games*

Also, getting ready for the Steam summer sale like

giphy.gif

Hoping to pick up a few games that I've missed the past few years or wish to replay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom