• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2017 - MASH ALL THE BUTTONS 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

Why would I lie about the logistics of fees to someone?

I refuse to believe Valve is that stupid.
There has to be other explanation, my personal guess is that Microsoft has secured Army of Tentacles 2 as a WinStore exclusive and is paying you to badmouth Valve here.
I mean, this makes no sense, there has been loads of freeware games released on Steam, many of which by Valve themselves. It boggles my mind, they would make it impossible for another Super Crate Box to happen on Steam

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The one work around for this is free games can provide optional DLC to support the devs, likely throw in an incentive or two maybe.

I can mention that for my free little Ludum Dare game I released, Close Your Eyes, the 'Goodie Bag' DLC, which just included the soundtrack, some artwork, and a somewhat expanded version of a previously free game I released as well has sold over $1000 in profit going for $1.99 for the DLC.

I think most people aren't against free games having DLC to support the developers/game/help earn them the money they spend to release it on Steam with a few bonus incentives. And I'll imagine you'll see more of this going forward.

Arthea

The end of era, no more new free games, real free, those with in app purchases and pay to win still will be released.
A pity really, there were quite a few free games I liked.

zkylon

zkylewd
With Greenlight, you paid $100 and could submit as many games as you wished. With Direct, you have to pay $100 for each game you want to release, regardless of whether it's designed to earn revenue.

By completing the sign-up process.
ah i had the impression it was always $100 per game

that's kind of a bummer

did the sign up process change already? i never tried it before

The end of era, no more new free games, real free, those with in app purchases and pay to win still will be released.
A pity really, there were quite a few free games I liked.
they'll still be around on itch.io

we all should start coming around to that and embracing itchi.io in all its wonderful lack of restraint

Parsnip

The fee is not recoupable for free products.

Obviously since you can't really sell $1000 worth of product with free, but is it refundable in the future, that's what I'm wondering.

Can free apps use all of the Steamworks features (minus cards I guess)? If yes, I guess you could justify it that way, depending on what kind of features you need in your free thing.

It doesn't make free apps impossible mind you, just something each dev has to asses themselves, are they willing to pay up to get their free thing on Steam. That was already the case though, but now more so since the fee is per app.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Obviously since you can't really sell $1000 worth of product with free, but is it refundable in the future, that's what I'm wondering.

Can free apps use all of the Steamworks features (minus cards I guess)? If yes, I guess you could justify it that way, depending on what kind of features you need in your free thing.

It doesn't make free apps impossible mind you, just something each dev has to asses themselves, are they willing to pay up to get their free thing on Steam. That was already the case though, but now more so since the fee is per app.

Steamworks features (outside of cards) is available to free games, yes. It'll make it harder for free games, but as a person who's released a couple free games onto Steam to good response but a niche audience I can say it's possible to recuperate what you spend. If the fee was much higher than $100 I don't think it'd be worth it, but I think it's doable as it is now (and I think I'll plan to test and release a free game or two somewhere in the future and see how it does compared to my previous freebies).

Pachimari

Jawmuncher will love this game:

ukfqZFd.png

Parsnip

Oh well.

Steamworks features (outside of cards) is available to free games, yes. It'll make it harder for free games, but as a person who's released a couple free games onto Steam to good response but a niche audience I can say it's possible to recuperate what you spend. If the fee was much higher than $100 I don't think it'd be worth it, but I think it's doable as it is now (and I think I'll plan to test and release a free game or two somewhere in the future and see how it does compared to my previous freebies).

Yeah, a little non-essential bonus dlc in the style of your goodie bag is definitely something we might see more with free games going forward.

I refuse to believe Valve is that stupid.
There has to be other explanation, my personal guess is that Microsoft has secured Army of Tentacles 2 as a WinStore exclusive and is paying you to badmouth Valve here.

I mean, this makes no sense, there has been loads of freeware games released on Steam, many of which by Valve themselves. It boggles my mind, they would make it impossible for another Super Crate Box to happen on Steam.

I've been told specifically that I could no longer impersonate corporate shills. :(

As of this moment, all I know is that free products will not get their money back. I honestly think that could change if people make enough noise.

Can free apps use all of the Steamworks features (minus cards I guess)?

Since F2P games get cards, I'm assuming yes. This is the extent of my knowledge on the subject. I don't make free products, so I've never had to have that discussion with Valve.

Ladekabel

Just read that the PC version for Destiny 2 comes October 24. How will I be able to make time and finance this shit? Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein 2 and Destiny 2 all releasing in a couple of days, I think the first two even on the same day. I have interest in Assassin's Creed: Origins, too! Hälp!

Edit: I forgot Xenoblade 2, too! Fuck me, fuck my wallet, fuck my time...

Just read that the PC version for Destiny 2 comes October 24. How will I be able to make time and finance this shit? Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein 2 and Destiny 2 all releasing in a couple of days, I think the first two even on the same day. I have interest in Assassin's Creed: Origins, too! Hälp!

Heres a crazy idea. Dont play everything at release ;)

haendeul

Steam got me this year with their stupid 2 week market hold hostage situation. I recently reset my smart phone and hadn't reapplied Steam guard, so now I'm banned from selling cards on the marketplace. You'd really think a couple of days would be enough security instead of this insane 15 day lockout. Guess I won't be buying much in this year's sale.

Kudo

Edit: I forgot Xenoblade 2, too! Fuck me, fuck my wallet, fuck my time...

I think I'm going to just get Destiny 2 on PS4, that month is little quieter so can enjoy it first time with other people before it's completely spoiled, migrate to PC on cheap price (Nvidia coupons should make sure of this) after it's out.
The Evil Within 2 comes in October too so it's really crazy month anyways. Hopefully Xenoblade 2 is December release, need some time to play all these games honestly, it's overwhelming.

Pachimari

There's so many games that I'm just gonna ignore or wait on all of them. And instead save up for that GPU upgrade and setup for my wheel and pedals. Then I can go back to looking at games next year again. Although I will be buying Splatoon 2 next month, FIFA 18 in September and Super Mario Odyssey in October.

ArjanN

Aw, shit... I just saw "PS4" at the end of the trailer and nothing else. There were a bunch of other games leaving platform info out of their trailers, too, like MonHun World and Cuphead. Seriously, that's just confusing.

E3 is always like this, the PC versions are de-emphasized at first and then they walk that back later on.

I know it's not Steamy, but this final battle in Dragon Quest VIII is pissing me off with the RNG. Three "anger of the gods" in a row. Can't do shit against that. I thought I was doing rather well, too: didn't get greedy with my hits, kept Multiheal going...ah well.

To keep it relevant for Steam, I've been going through Epic Battle Fantasy 4 even though I've played it free on Kongregate. At one point, the Steam version asked if flash could save info on my computer, and I was like "ummmm...what was it doing before then, exactly?"

yuraya

New Yoshi, New Kirby, MP4, actual Mario x Rabbis gameplay. Outta nowhere Nintendo managed to have the best showing.

Splatoon 2 looks really good and XC2 gameplay looks like a lot of fun too.

A really damn strong first year for the Switch. Probably the best for any console ever. Amazing turn around from the WiiU last year for Nintendo. props to them.

Nzyme32

Might get a tiny bit of Steam news from Unite at the end of June:

Steam Business Update
Track: Business, 60-Minute, Track 5, Expert Talk

Join us for a brief presentation about the audience, features, and direction of Steam, including Steam Direct and a look at new features and improvements we're working on. We'll follow with Q&A and conversation. We're looking forward to meeting developers face to face afterward, answering questions, and hearing feedback and suggestions as well.

Tom Bui - Valve Software
Jan-Peter Ewert - Valve Software
Alden Kroll - Valve Software
Lawrence Yang - Valve Software

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just woke up, and I see we got a Humble Nothing bundle this week :(

Kudo

Cheapest place to get The Evil Within and DLC? I've played the main game on PS4 but could get it for PC and play the DLC now before 2 comes out.

ArjanN

New Yoshi, New Kirby, MP4, actual Mario x Rabbis gameplay. Outta nowhere Nintendo managed to have the best showing.

I found it Interesting that people liked that, as I thought their showing was pretty terrible. MP4 was just a logo yet and Mario looked good but IMO it seems that and Zelda are the only interesting Switch games this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom