• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2017 - MASH ALL THE BUTTONS 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
SteamWorld Heist is great but I think I've grinded too much, my regulars are all level 8 and I'm about halfway through the second area

zkylon

zkylewd
I decided to go the zkylon route and use gimp along with CrossCells. I'm liking the game a lot more like this.

the zkylon route got an idiot like myself through the witness and all hexcells games so it's quite literally foolproof

BasilZero

Sonic Lost World for 75% off on Humble store.

It shows it has the same specs as Sonic Generations which I was able to run for the most part at 60 FPS with a few slow downs here and there.

I have a feeling it'll be worse with this game lol - really wish they had a demo.

Nabs

It shows it has the same specs as Sonic Generations which I was able to run for the most part at 60 FPS with a few slow downs here and there.

I have a feeling it'll be worse with this game lol - really wish they had a demo.

I played a level or two and deleted it. Maybe it gets better, but it did not leave a good first impression.

the zkylon route got an idiot like myself through the witness and all hexcells games so it's quite literally foolproof

Some of those later Hexcells Plus/Infinite levels needed it for sure.

MUnited83

For you.
allhailthenewking3bu16.png

Tekken is now the biggest launch of fighting game on Steam :D

louiedog

They're following up and removing Denuvo from Rime.

Hi everybody,

We wanted to give you an update regarding the use of Denuvo anti-tamper software in RiME. Today, we got word that there was a crack which would bypass Denuvo. Upon receiving this news, we worked to test this and verify that it was, in fact, the case. We have now confirmed that it is. As such, we at Team Grey Box are following through on our promise from earlier this week that we will be replacing the current build of RiME with one that does not contain Denuvo. Please make sure your PC version of RiME has been updated, if it has not done so automatically.

Team Grey Box is also committed both to supporting the games we publish and to our player base, so this is definitely not the final update you will see with RiME. We are currently working on our first traditional patch, which we are aiming to release next week. This patch will provide a fix for the VR initialization bug, and will also provide a fix to some specific instances of hardware-related crashes, among other updates which will be detailed at the time. We sincerely thank players who have reported issues, and a special thanks to those who have worked with us to provide additional details, DxDiag files, and the like. We want to continue giving you the best product we possibly can.

Please feel free to reach out to us with any additional questions or concerns you may have. Thanks again for your continued support!

Tim "Dariuas" Slager
RiME Community Manager

zkylon

zkylewd
denuvo did cause like major issues to some folks right?

for me it's always been really painless (compared to like securom and some other things) so it's hard to see why ppl complain so much about it considering it seems to actually prevent piracy rather well

Welcome to "more hidden object game impressions," brought to you by Shade! (Shade gave me four hidden object games and told me that I'm under no obligation to review them, and "you do you," but doing these impressions IS doing me! So thanks, chum!)

So here we go with Crime Secrets: Crimson Lily.

The story: You play nameless female protagonist #644, private detective, who decides to go on vacation in a mountain retreat. She gets cut off by a cop car, there's a crash, and you decide to follow the policeman only to discover he's been flash-frozen into a Cop-sicle. What follows is a sordid tale of murder, illegal gambling and counterfeiting. Your job is to track down Captain Cold and figure out who's behind everything...for free. It's a real busman's holiday for Detective Anon! (Hint: Everyone you meet is guilty in some way.)

UNMARKED SPOILERS TO FOLLOW.

The killer is using these diamond-shaped vials filled with a fluid that can instantly ice things up: it can even ice large areas in colder weather. At no point does the detective even bother to say, "Hey, what is this stuff? How does it work? Where did the killer get the scientific knowledge for this?" Even at the end, rather than confront the killer and ask the hard questions, she decides to save his life and then comfort him with a picture of his dead wife (that someone else in the counterfeiting ring killed because she was ready to squeal.) And furthermore, at no point did the killer ever say, "You know what? This freezing mixture could have amazing applications in modern science and medicine. I could probably patent it and make WAY more, legally, than I ever could counterfeiting."

And dear God, are these people ever NEEDY. You save one dude from the cold and put him in front of a fire, wrap him in the bearskin rug, and he has the gall to ask for hot tea. Bitch, how about a hot cup of shut the fuck up and be grateful? Another criminal is trapped in a frozen-shut car, but refuses to answer questions until he's let out. For a private detective, she sure is a real softie. She didn't tell him that his options were to answer questions, starve to death inside the car, or possibly explode in the car (as there was a nearby fire and broken live wires around.) No, she gets him out by using an aerosol-can flamethrower to melt the ice (and unfortunately, NOT the criminal's smug-ass face.)

In the end, the cops show up, and are actually grateful that you did their job for them, offering you the job as sherriff (of a town that may or may not have any other inhabitants seeing as all the other characters are dead or in jail,) and you politely decline, saying you need a vacation. I was expecting her to laugh to freeze frame and executive producer credits after that one, but it ends with a sunrise and she thanks God for another day to start everything afresh...which is kinda weird and almost feels like something you'd say in a bad ending, like "you done goofed, try it again."

Overall, I could see what they were trying for, but it just wasn't well-told enough to be interesting.

The gameplay: Even in expert mode, this game was so easy I wanted to say "gg ez" after it. Very few hidden object scenes, and those were simple enough as is, and the minigames range from "pretty easy" at their hardest to "literally trivial" at their easiest. Some self-solve if you just click on them.

The game is a sort of spiritual sequel to the "9 Clues" series. Sometimes you're given a crime scene, you find the 9 clues, and then you have to sequence them (which don't follow a logical order, but there are ribbon-like lines that go through them, so you order them that way, and then you get a cutscene showing the detective going through the order making it seem logical. Which...is okay I guess.)

Also, missable objects. Two sets of missable collectibles, and plenty of points-of-no-return. In the last third of the game, you can access the map but it's pointless because you're forced onward, never backward. That's not "adding replayability," that's pissing people off.

Edit: When you replay, it remembers which ones you already picked up, even if it puts them back. So you can get the achievement by picking up the ones you missed. If those are early, it's easier. If you missed the last one, sucks to be you.

The audio and dialogue: I will say this: the credits actually named all the voice actors, which pretty much never happens. So...Amy Robinson, congrats on sounding like every protagonist in every hidden object game ever and on not even trying to add something to differentiate them. The dialogue had a few minor translation errors, but overall was pretty forgettable. Ditto the music: generic.

The graphics: Pretty much what you'd expect. It's got the "hidden object" look. I wish I could say more about it but it's like the developers were aiming at mediocrity.

The length: My Steam profile says 3.1 hours but I did replay the first cutscene and I'll probably go through it again on easy mode to get the missable achievements. So it's about average but felt shorter.

Edit: To replay and get the last achievement, 4.5 hours.

The verdict: Way too easy, so if you like a challenging game don't bother with this. It wasn't horrible, but it was just so bland and mediocre. Phoned-in. Don't recommend.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait to jump into that Battletech beta tonight (KS game from Harebrained Schemes, makers of the recent Shadowrun games). Looks like its a bit rough, but skrimish vs AI should be a good way to learn the rules. It seems to be following the tabletop rules quite closely which is could be a double edged sword. The beta apparently has no tutorial as well. Hope my memory is good!

BasilZero

I played a level or two and deleted it. Maybe it gets better, but it did not leave a good first impression.

Some of those later Hexcells Plus/Infinite levels needed it for sure.

How was it performance wise?

I'm not sure if my old PC can handle it......HD Radeon 7850 2GB, 6 GB RAM and....a AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.80 GHz....

ezodagrom

Performance wise, Lost World runs better than Generations, though, it comes with no AA option (forcing SGSSAA for Nvidia cards is possible, there's also reshade/SMAA, I guess), and when (if) there's a framerate drop, the game plays in slow motion (though that only happened to me when trying to push SGSSAA with my old GTX 960).

Using a Phenom II X4 955 and GTX 1060 currently, I have no drops at all with 4x SGSSAA.

It doesn't get better, it only gets worse.

Grief.exe

for me it's always been really painless (compared to like securom and some other things) so it's hard to see why ppl complain so much about it considering it seems to actually prevent piracy rather well

Most worry less about the impact on the individual system and more about the future, since Denuvo will inevitably be shuttered.

It may prevent piracy, but is there any data to show that it meaningfully increases sales? I very much doubt that it does.

MUnited83

For you.
Most worry less about the impact on the individual system and more about the future, since Denuvo will inevitably be shuttered.

It may prevent piracy, but is there any data to show that it meaningfully increases sales? I very much doubt that it does.

If people just look at Steamspy they can verify that not one single of the games that have used Denuvo was particularly outside of the expect sales for a PC version.

Arulan

It's very hard to accurately show something like that when there are so many other factors as to why two distinct games, even sequels, don't sell the same.

It has always come across as scapegoating and bullshit to me though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Having to reauthenticate after a game/GPU driver update can be annoying, but that's it. Unlike, say, TAGES, Denuvo doesn't actually fiddle with your system configuration.

zkylon

zkylewd

what do you mean it'll be inevitably shuttered?

zkylon

zkylewd
do most denuvo games just patch it out after like two months or somethings?

we all know it's a waste of developer money that could go towards useful stuff like salaries and qa and shit, but i'm just trying to figure out if it's harmless or not

Madventure

It relies on a authentication server. A server which will go down eventually. Then, bye bye games.

Yeah It's vaguely similar to GFWL shutting down and requiring the logon process to get into those games at start up

Until people smarter than me came up with work arounds I couldn't play Bulletstorm for awhile

Well, I finally gave in. I did a terrible thing. A monstrous thing.

I.... began using Idle Master.

Anything I should change around in the settings or just leave them at default?

Grief.exe

what do you mean it'll be inevitably shuttered?

Historical precedent. DRM doesn't have a long term shelf life.

do most denuvo games just patch it out after like two months or somethings?

we all know it's a waste of developer money that could go towards useful stuff like salaries and qa and shit, but i'm just trying to figure out if it's harmless or not

The majority seem to keep Denuvo indefinitely attached to their game, regardless of crack.

Cth

Quantum Break is 50% off on steam

I liked Alan Wake when it came out on 360 but I heard this game is more like a movie than a game.

Is this game worth it?

Definitely, especially if you liked AW. The cinematic part is extended so set aside some time if you're going to watch it. No staying up late, half awake as episodes are 15-30 min long if memory serves.

But no, it's not all cut scenes, decent length campaign. Also, the voice cast is awesome. As a game designer, I like how they address when the player wanders off from the main quest. It felt organic and natural as opposed to stuff like, "Let's go to the lobby. C'mon let's go. Etc, etc"

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Well, I finally gave in. I did a terrible thing. A monstrous thing.

I.... began using Idle Master.

Anything I should change around in the settings or just leave them at default?

For Idling Behavior, I like to do "Idle games simultaneously up to 2 hours, then individually"

Then afterwards you can try and get the glitch to work where you hit idle next game after a few seconds and see if it instantly drops a card. I still have no idea what makes that work, or stop working. But it seems to start working again after a day or so.

zkylon

zkylewd
The majority seem to keep Denuvo indefinitely attached to their game, regardless of crack.
ah that's a shame

i don't think it's a big deal tho, if denuvo keels over it's likely they'll remove it

like i totally get you, but it doesn't seem like the draconian drm of old

Hope people don't overlook Guilty Gear Rev 2.

XInxtBK.gif

Actually you should all buy all the the fighting games.

are they animated at a different framerate or something?

something looks off to me

hesho

i'm getting old, i totally forgot it was june ><

at least that means e3 is closer now i guess.. though i find its just a hype event now will BS promos for things we will either never get or looks nothing like the promos..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom