• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

Hmm, Jase, have you seen anything like this yet?

Looks like Valve is cracking down hard on VPN activation of gifts, essentially making a default runtime lock on all steam gifts from a cheaper region:

0ta0BJe.png

Happened to me when I bought Ori from Russia.

I ended up not reedeming it, but stupid me, I thought I had disconnected my VPN and restarted Steam and then I tried to activate the game once again just for fun (I thought I was in my region). Turns out I was still in Russia so now I have an unusable Ori in my library lol.

Well, that's it for me and Russia buying then.

_hekk05

Banned
And the problem with this is what exactly? I downloaded Watch Dogs via Uplay (got it free with my main board) and it works well. Also, I'm not sure I see the difference between Steam and Uplay.

Have you gotten to the patching part yet?

Does uPlay even do patching?

I mean actually patch the game instead of downloading everything again

dex3108

Have you gotten to the patching part yet?

Does uPlay even do patching?

I mean actually patch the game instead of downloading everything again

Since AC4 patch system is same as patch system on Steam. UPlay got many improvements in last two years.

Asskicker

Damd, I need to start testing some games... Is there any quick way to know which games will be affected?

I hope my Witcher 3 is ok.

He bought he games before 4 though, and apparently Ubi can't be bothered to update their older releases to the new patching system.
Well, I'm still at work. I will check the process and report back when I'm home again. Like I said, downloading Watch Dogs worked just like on Steam. No problems whatsoever.

Good thing they fixed this from the first game!
Oh, wait.

I never had any issues with the first game, it ran flawlessly. But yeah, if that's a leftover bug, that's pretty lousy of them to not fix it.

And I mean, it just came out, so of course there are gonna be issues. It's just really annoying.

Turfster

I never had any issues with the first game, it ran flawlessly. But yeah, if that's a leftover bug, that's pretty lousy of them to not fix it.

I had it 5 times in the first game, 3 times on the same level with my last enemy... and this was just one of the many bugs I encountered, even after the opengl fix.

I don't hold the first one in not as high a regard as many others for no reason ;)

Talking about the KISS groupees that is up for preorder right now...

It will have 8 games on it. 5 of those games are on this list
guyqB.png

I actually don't own most of the games on this list so I'm actually optimistic.
I'd also expect Gunspell as that looks similar to the artwork used on the pre-order page.

Of course reading the reviews sounds like the difficulty is not well balanced in that it is initially very easy but suddenly gets really hard out of the blue. Almost like it is a mobile game what wants you to spend once you're hooked.

Plus reading the bullet points:
"• No need to wait! Replenish stamina with a mini-game any time!"
So it is a mobile game? I thought the point of mobile ports was to remove stamina entirely rather than remove it by playing a crappy mini-game.

So this new region locking gifts thing means I might as well remove all of the traders from my friends list right? Is every game now region locked by default? I just bought cities skylines from nuuvem so that still works which I'm kind of happy about.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
And the problem with this is what exactly? I downloaded Watch Dogs via Uplay (got it free with my main board) and it works well. Also, I'm not sure I see the difference between Steam and Uplay.

Uplay? Imagine Steam but basic services have historically been poorly executed. SC: Blacklist was particularly guilty of this.

Origin and GOG on the other hand are decent storefronts (and client in the case of Origin) and in some ways have improved aspects compared to Steam.

you're

in a steam thread?

The Steam OT functions as the general PC thread due to the fact that interest and news for the other services is too sparse to sustain individual threads.

Deques

So this new region locking gifts thing means I might as well remove all of the traders from my friends list right? Is every game now region locked by default? I just bought cities skylines from nuuvem so that still works which I'm kind of happy about.

I don't understand what's new with the region lock. All gifts are automatically region locked and has been so since a few months ago. The message seems to be more clarifying about the region lock.

Turfster

I don't understand what's new with the region lock. All gifts are automatically region locked and has been so since a few months ago. The message seems to be more clarifying about the region lock.

Not just activation, but also runtime now apparently.

Origin and GOG on the other hand are decent storefronts (and client in the case of Origin) and in some ways have improved aspects compared to Steam.

One thing I don't like about Origin is that you have to supply like all your personal information in triplicate with a blood sample attached to be even allowed to buy anything from them, even when not using a credit card.
Fuck that shit.
Yes, EA, that's why I still haven't filled the ME3 hole in my collection.
I don't trust you with important information after all those strange hacks =p

(And then when another storefront does a sale, it's always US only)
And of course, the fact that ME DLC is still tied to BiowareBucks is another big fuck you EA =p

MadGear

Pity they don't realise the player base only plays lol or dota. Nobody else wants to play mobas. Nobody.

I really don't see it that way. Sure, the world doesn't need another lesser version of DotA like LoL (unbiased opinion) but I still think that there is room for games that use elements of that genre but mix it up. Orcs must Die! Unchained is very similiar to what you expect out of a MOBA, but i think it will fit nicely with the concept of the previous games and I don't see it as something that clearly wants to attract the "typical MOBA playerbase". Also Super Monday Night Combat is pretty much just another MOBA at its core, but also doesn't feel the same as DoTA. A friend of mine who hates MOBAs ironically really enjoyed that game. Eventhough these games aren't nearly trying hard enough to take a clever approach at MOBAs I honestly think that there are ways to make MOBAs that still feel unique and therefore could exist next to DoTA (and that other game) without sharing the same playerbase.

KiDdYoNe

Can I just... ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Now i'm wondering what will happen if for example i'll move from Russia to UK. Oh, Valve.

I just got an email with access to the Way of the Samurai 4 beta. As I have a laptop (my brother's) that can run this better than my desktop, I'm going to give it a spin this week. There's an NDA on it as well.

I just got an email with access to the Way of the Samurai 4 beta. As I have a laptop (my brother's) that can run this better than my desktop, I'm going to give it a spin this week. There's an NDA on it as well.

:( I'd been emailing Ross at Ghostlight since a bit, too bad I didn't get selected. Time for some more WotS 2 on PCSX2, I guess.

:( I'd been emailing Ross at Ghostlight since a bit, too bad I didn't get selected. Time for some more WotS 2 on PCSX2, I guess.

Well, I did request access to the beta over on the discussion side when the Ghostlight rep was talking about it, as I do have familiarity with the first two games from the PS1/2 era. Interested to check this one out, but I have to read the NDA again to find out if I can post gameplay impressions.

Well, I did request access to the beta over on the discussion side when the Ghostlight rep was talking about it, as I do have familiarity with the first two games from the PS1/2 era. Interested to check this one out, but I have to read the NDA again to find out if I can post gameplay impressions.

I'd asked about a WotS 4 beta when they were running the Agarest 2 beta but forgot to talk about my undying love for the WotS series. Well, at least I'll get to enjoy it in all its glory thanks to their hard work bringing it over to PC :)
Ghostlight is a great outfit, hopefully their games sell well and they can keep doing what they do.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I never did the whole RU thing, but apparently it's true for games from after the region locking got implemented?

Someone had it with Toki Tori

Toki was bought as a test after Valve tightened the noose. The change doesn't affect games activated prior (Valve's good about not making new policies retroactive).

Pity they don't realise the player base only plays lol or dota. Nobody else wants to play mobas. Nobody.

I don't think its developers chasing the cash pile. A lot of developers seem to be really addicted to MOBA's themselves. They end up making games that they want to play...and no one else.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
2 year old gifts which had no runtime lock now do.

Because it's a blanket change to ACRTAG (the flag didn't exist two years ago, but I digress). "Good" doesn't mean "Perfect". ;) Steam keeps track of where a sub was purchased, so Valve very well could have made the restriction apply to activated copies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I couldn't resist just playing the intro to Ori and holy shit it's like Pixar level stuff. The production values are insane. Such a great opening.

redlacs

Just beat Hotline Miami 2 and that... Was something else. Just some quick thoughts.

• The soundtrack is even better this time around, which I didn't even think they could do. But they did. It's rad, and bumpin' as all hell. This is easily the best track.
  • The story and exposition is waaay more interesting this time around. Still pretty ambiguous and weird, but there's more to it than the first game for sure.
  • There's a nice bit of variety. New characters, new areas, new ways to play depending on who you play as.
  • Overall, level design is... Pretty bad. There are some cool levels, and they're bigger this time, but seems like, for the sake of "difficulty" or whatever, their design process was "walls are almost entirely glass now! and there are tons of baddies! and lots of them have guns!"
  • There are some annoying bugs. I've had enemies leave the building somehow and end up outside, so I can't kill them, and I have to rewind. And rewinding doesn't start that section over, it starts the whole level over. Dogs and this other new enemy type have a habit of jumping through walls to get you. Pretty annoying stuff.
  • The bear is stupid. Fuck the fucking bear.
For the most part, it's still really great, but it's problems really don't do it any favors. In terms of balance, design, and all that, I'd say the first game has it beat. Worth playing though, but it'll probably cause you great grief, and you'll ragequit every now and then.

how many hours did you put into it?

Got so frustrated with Revelations 2 today (my fault, not the game's) that I punched my desk and got a blue screen as a result.
Man, I've never done that before, I've been really on edge because my life hasn't been easy.

Anyway, episode 3 is even better than episode 2, this game is simply fantastic.
Ep 2 brought the boss fights and more exploration, ep 3 brings the puzzles which is the only thing that was missing at this point.
Kinda hard to believe how good this game turned out to be, even for people who had faith in it like myself.

dex3108

So i today decided to buy replacement black cartridge for my old HP Printer so i can print simple documents. Price was good i was happy until i went home and installed it. Then i found out that my printer won't work if both cartridges (black and color) are not installed. Damn you money hungry HP.

Deques

So i today decided to buy replacement black cartridge for my old HP Printer so i can print simple documents. Price was good i was happy until i went home and installed it. Then i found out that my printer won't work if both cartridges (black and color) are not installed. Damn you money hungry HP.

You cant have the old color cartridges in the printer and print out documents?

r3n4ud

I swear to god, if Steam fucks around with key resellers live my beloved Nuuvem, I'm putting all magazine racks on notice >:|

Miguel81

Well, I'm still at work. I will check the process and report back when I'm home again. Like I said, downloading Watch Dogs worked just like on Steam. No problems whatsoever.

It has been know to erase saves, which hasn't happened to me(yet), but damn if it doesn't to others. JaseC lost a ton of progress on Black Flag, which would have pissed me off immensely with how long and collection-heavy that game is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom