• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this in the gaming laptop thread but I think it might be better to ask here.

I have been dancing around with the idea of getting a laptop just for streaming steam games from my desktop. This would be in my house. I just want to be able to pick up and sit somewhere else to play my games. I mostly want to play via a usb wired game pad.

How low end could I realistically go on the laptop and this would still be a realistic option? Any issues I should be concerned about?

My current desktop specs: I7 3770, 12 gigs ram, AMD 7950 with 3gigs, running Windows 8.1. I have a router that can use Wireless N. The desktop is wired gigabit.

I DO NOT want a device like the Shield or a Tablet.

Steam in-house streaming basically require h.264 codec support & usb ports. I use a chromebook plug into a TV to do it. So, low end.

There is a rasberrypi project going for that purpose too.

Steam in-house streaming basically require h.264 codec support & usb ports. I use a chromebook plug into a TV to do it. So, low end.

How do you use a chromebook to stream steam games? Is there a chrome os app or something? Or do you have to jail break it and install some linux or Windows OS?

Zafir

Bah, that's really rubbish about the ARCTAG changes, again.

It punishes people in those regions the most. As soon as they move countries their steam games purchased from now on won't work any more. :I

Dr Dogg

Well Episode 3 of RE Rev 2 wrapped up. It's going to be sad when this is fully out next week as I've really enjoyed the weekly format. Also Claire > Barry chapter for a change this week.

I couldn't resist just playing the intro to Ori and holy shit it's like Pixar level stuff. The production values are insane. Such a great opening.

Despite having too much to play this week I might dive in on Ori. The praise is strong in this one.

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
:( I'd been emailing Ross at Ghostlight since a bit, too bad I didn't get selected. Time for some more WotS 2 on PCSX2, I guess.

Sorry :(

We had around 6 applicants for every spot so there were quite a few people we'd like to have had but there just wasn't enough space.

Also if I mentioned Agarest to anyone sorry about that. The game has been on my mind alot recently and between that and me being rushed off my feet with Flame Over I mentioned the wrong game in quite a few emails.

Edit- Also if any of you are at Rezzed this week feel free to say hi. I'll be working on the Flame Over stand.

How do you use a chromebook to stream steam games? Is there a chrome os app or something? Or do you have to jail break it and install some linux or Windows OS?

Yes, linux. Turn on dev mode & then install linux+steam.

It's far from a perfect setup tho.
I have to reconfigure the ports after every reboot. Everytime ChromeOS updates I have to reinstall Linux.

Grief.exe

I'll probably just get a Steam Link at this point, but that is cool project.

I can't believe Valve hasn't worked out an ARM client for the various TV boxes out there, Fire TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, etc.

Install Linux. I've actually been looking into the Chrome Pixel due to its pure sexiness, but I am going to wait for Skylake before I pull the trigger on any laptop.

I've been playing around with Linux on my laptop with a fork of Ubuntu called Kubuntu Plasma 5. It's actually moderately easy to partition, install as dual-boot, and set up the OS.
The biggest issue I have had so far was repairing grub, Linux's bootloader, to recognize both Kubuntu and Windows 8. The solution was actually hilariously simple, but I went through a long line of troubleshooting tips to get there.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares, featuring everyone's favourite AssCreed game:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Synonymy -- MB-76CCEFFD9E81FAC5 - Taken by Deques
Assassin's Creed 3 #1 -- MB-D385767E3A077B42 - Taken by r3n4ud
Assassin's Creed 3 #2 -- MB-94A93BE32D5EB91C - Taken by lindarasta

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The best thing about PC is not worrying about generations. It feels pretty great working through another trilogy replay of the Batman Arkham games on the same system that I'll play Arkham Knight on except this time the trilogy replay is in 4K and I get to use HBAO+ in Asylum and I didn't have to rebuy the games to get that.

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
Excluding some indies in and there that, what remains are remakes and remastered.
Yeah, the only games I can think of coming to ps/bone other than bloodborne and halo 5are indies like Mike Bithell's next game and Jonathan Blow's The Witness. Outside of those I only see multiplatform kick starters making any waves on consoles.

Of course Witcher 3 and Wasteland 2 will be on console, but it seems like 'Better on PC' should be a real marketing slogan now. Its really the best time for Valve to market themselves aggressively and captivate the market.

Sorry :(

We had around 6 applicants for every spot so there were quite a few people we'd like to have had but there just wasn't enough space.

Also if I mentioned Agarest to anyone sorry about that. The game has been on my mind alot recently and between that and me being rushed off my feet with Flame Over I mentioned the wrong game in quite a few emails.

Edit- Also if any of you are at Rezzed this week feel free to say hi. I'll be working on the Flame Over stand.

You don't have to apologize to anyone :)
Ghostlight has done an amazing job of bringing great titles that were not on PC

Dr Dogg

The best thing about PC is not worrying about generations. It feels pretty great working through another trilogy replay of the Batman Arkham games on the same system that I'll play Arkham Knight on except this time the trilogy replay is in 4K and I get to use HBAO+ in Asylum and I didn't have to rebuy the games to get that.

I think by the time there's an Arkham HDier Remaster Get Your Wallet Out Again Edition at 4K, 60hz, with decent AA, AO and extras like PhysX it will be on the PS10.

Grief.exe

I agree entirely.

Backwards compatibility and game preservation are huge incentives for me.

I think by the time there's an Arkham HDier Remaster Get Your Wallet Out Again Edition at 4K, 60hz, with decent AA, AO and extras like PhysX it will be on the PS10.

Sometimes I feel like I went back in time when I dip into console discussions.

1080p? Did I wake up in 2008?

98b39b21ff008afaa5cba1e79fc611b2ddb64b3f44f57e792397c517768f4433.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Less than 6 days remain. We've had a lot of participation so far in the first 24 hours, let's keep it going!

jHvBOTN.png

Welcome to the 2nd SteamGAF (late) GOTY Awards! Every year, gaffers choose games they thought were GOTY contenders on Steam, and the game with the highest point score is crowned SteamGAF's GOTY. Check out 2013's nail-biting results.

This is the great SteamGAF GOTY recount! The original results were scheduled to be revealed on January 17th, but have been delayed because MRORANGE was kidnapped is a very busy guy. I will try to keep with the spirit of MRORANGE's original GOTY call for votes, results, etc. In the event that MRORANGE shows back up and suddenly gives us the real results before the voting closes, then this recount will not be tallied. Voting will be open for 7 days, and results will be available shortly afterwards.

Rules and deadline:
- Up to 5 games can be chosen.
- 1st choice gets 5 points, 2nd choice gets 4 points and so on ... 5th game will get 1 point.
- You cannot vote for the same game more than once.
- You can write a short paragraph on why you the the 1st choice is a GOTY contender.
- Game must be on Steam and released in 2014.
- Episodic games that overlap multiple years can be counted as long as the first episode was released in 2014.
- Re-releases in 2014 are allowed in the Steam GOTY, for example FFXIII.
- APS used if it's a tie, like last time >_>
- Your vote will be discarded if you fail to follow the rules.
t1426604400z4.png

Not really a rule, but a request
- If you submitted GOTY results to MRORANGE, please send me the same PM. Please do not change your choices before sending in your votes.

How to vote:
Copy this and send me a PM:

Code:
Game 5 (1 point) : INSERT GAME NAME HERE
Game 4 (2 points) : INSERT GAME NAME HERE
Game 3 (3 points) : INSERT GAME NAME HERE
Game 2 (4 points) : INSERT GAME NAME HERE
Game 1  (5 points) : INSERT GAME NAME HERE

Why I want this game as GOTY  (Optional) : WRITE COMMENTS HERE

Who has voted so far
Atraveller, Uzzy, NingenJanai, MMBosstones86, yuraya, milean87, Copons, Nete, JustLynx, Parsnip, Mr. Poolman, Kurt Russell, Amzin, Sch1sm, fantomena, ScreamingTrees, Kagemusha, Arthea, jshackles, Freedom = $1.05, Servizio, wetflame, Khronico, Knurek, Phinor, Lomax, Dsyndrome, AHA-Lambda, Tizoc, Turfster, Dio Brando, BruteUA, Xanathus, BinaryPork2737, TheLetdown, ANuclearError, Locust, Nabs, Zero-Crescent, Uraizen, titch, wok, dot, Lain, NightmareTrigger, The_Super_Inframan, KenOD, DillonMabry, PandaPedinte, WinterDemons, bobnowhere, dante81, texhnolyze, -MD-, Default DOS, Mokoi, _hekk05, Stallion Free, Baron von Loathsome

(If your name is on this list, it means your vote has been tallied)

xBladeM6x

The best thing about PC is not worrying about generations.

While I agree, there is one thing that you could consider "generations." That is each OS. Some games are completely broken on an OS other than the one they're made for. Obviously getting around this by just dual-booting, or something along those lines is easy enough, but still a consideration.

Jawmuncher

I'm still hanging out on 1080p.
Acutally had to go down to 900p to keep Dying light at 60fps. It's nice to have options in running your software.

_hekk05

Banned
I got no space for a good setup, so its a 768p laptop for me.

Compared to that, PS4 games are pretty gud.

I'll eventually upgrade when I move in 2018. PS4 gonna get some good mileage at least until then, and then some more.

Tizoc

Have a spare, dunno if it is already used though =X
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

ulgzbKC.png
The Race for the White House Desura Key -- MB-518787242392D0E0 - Taken by WinterDemons

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
hmmm ... Japan is a ROW region on steam, isn't it?

do we have anyone from Japan here?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
hmmm ... Japan is a ROW region on steam, isn't it?

do we have anyone from Japan here?

I can purchase items from the JP store for some reason. I bought the Tomb Raider 2014/Thi4f's JP language packs as well as the JP-specific version of Mafia 2 and its DLC for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom