• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have absolutely no intention to go over 1080p right now and i don't see me needing it during the next few years either.

i use my TV as my screen for my PC so 1080p is just fine. It also means that i can downsample more games on my now-midtier gtx 770 than if i had a better screen wit higher resolutions.

I'm just hoping i can get at least one more solid year out of my 770 before i have to live with either lowering the resolutions on games or changing some of the more nicer settings because papa won't have the ~$300 needed for a new card in the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the guide. Will come in handy when I attempt to play the game. Tired if dying so.fucking.much :/
I know it is a very unique part of the souls games but I still would have loved there a way to play co-op with people from my friendslist.
Would totally play with you throughout and show you the ropes.
I made it through DS2 and most of DS1 w/o parrying at all. I could never get the timing down and decide to just try not getting hit.

It's worked out pretty well so far.
I learned parrying only at the silver knights in Anor Londo but then it became super easy and I demolished everyone afterwards.
Funnily I can't time parrying in DS2 at all so I just use heavy shields. Kinda miss the satisfaction :/
jHvBOTN.png

Welcome to the 2nd SteamGAF (late) GOTY Awards! Every year, gaffers choose games they thought were GOTY contenders on Steam, and the game with the highest point score is crowned SteamGAF's GOTY. Check out 2013's nail-biting results.

This is the great SteamGAF GOTY recount! The original results were scheduled to be revealed on January 17th, but have been delayed because MRORANGE was kidnapped is a very busy guy. I will try to keep with the spirit of MRORANGE's original GOTY call for votes, results, etc. In the event that MRORANGE shows back up and suddenly gives us the real results before the voting closes, then this recount will not be tallied. Voting will be open for 7 days, and results will be available shortly afterwards.

Rules and deadline:
- Up to 5 games can be chosen.
- 1st choice gets 5 points, 2nd choice gets 4 points and so on ... 5th game will get 1 point.
- You cannot vote for the same game more than once.
- You can write a short paragraph on why you the the 1st choice is a GOTY contender.
- Game must be on Steam and released in 2014.
- Episodic games that overlap multiple years can be counted as long as the first episode was released in 2014.
- Re-releases in 2014 are allowed in the Steam GOTY, for example FFXIII.
- APS used if it's a tie, like last time >_>
- Your vote will be discarded if you fail to follow the rules.
t1426604400z4.png

Not really a rule, but a request
- If you submitted GOTY results to MRORANGE, please send me the same PM. Please do not change your choices before sending in your votes.

How to vote:
Copy this and send me a PM:

Code:
Game 5 (1 point) : INSERT GAME NAME HERE
Game 4 (2 points) : INSERT GAME NAME HERE
Game 3 (3 points) : INSERT GAME NAME HERE
Game 2 (4 points) : INSERT GAME NAME HERE
Game 1  (5 points) : INSERT GAME NAME HERE

Why I want this game as GOTY  (Optional) : WRITE COMMENTS HERE

Who has voted so far
Atraveller, Uzzy, NingenJanai, MMBosstones86, yuraya, milean87, Copons, Nete, JustLynx, Parsnip, Mr. Poolman, Kurt Russell, Amzin, Sch1sm, fantomena, ScreamingTrees, Kagemusha, Arthea, jshackles, Freedom = $1.05, Servizio, wetflame, Khronico, Knurek, Phinor, Lomax, Dsyndrome, AHA-Lambda, Tizoc, Turfster, Dio Brando, BruteUA, Xanathus, BinaryPork2737, TheLetdown, ANuclearError, Locust, Nabs, Zero-Crescent, Uraizen, titch, wok, dot, Lain, NightmareTrigger, The_Super_Inframan, KenOD, DillonMabry, PandaPedinte

(If your name is on this list, it means your vote has been tallied)
Woah. That is something. Gonna vote but add two games to my three votes.
MrOrange won't be doing any Steam OTs anymore I guess? He wasn't posting much anyway and always talked about having lots of work. Gonna miss your grumpiness Orange. Farewell.
Even those exclusive OSX programs aren't worth it, really. For one, they tend to cost a good penny on top of what you already paid for it. There's probably Windows equivalents. Unless you're a music person, in which case Logic Pro X (lol $229 CAD) beats out Cubase in ways I can't even begin to explain. Or you're in need for a more open OS, but in that case why not Linux? Cheaper anyway. Yosemite (OSX) hasn't shown much benefit unless you have other Apple products for the sake of Continuity and Handoff, and the other Apple products have to be at iOS 8. Maximum I have is at iOS 6, can't upgrade further. I may sell mine. Mid 2014 13" rMBP, anyone? Screen real estate isn't doing anything for me, anyway.

Save your money. They're all for promoting the whole ecosystem. Never one without the other kind of deal.

Not to mention how much more difficult they make it near every year to upgrade any internals. Like on my model, you apparently can't up the RAM except for at time of purchase, and the screws they use on bkth the 15 and 13 inch models for the SSD are just a nuisance (because you actually aren't supppsed to be able to upgrade, but you could with patience). They want your money over and over.
That doesn't sound too hot :/
You can't change say GPU or CPU when you buy a desktop Apple PC? What the heck.
Hmm, Jase, have you seen anything like this yet?

Looks like Valve is cracking down hard on VPN activation of gifts, essentially making a default runtime lock on all steam gifts from a cheaper region:

0ta0BJe.png
How is that any different than lately?
Eh, I haven't bought anything since the RU ACRTAG purge anyway and my already old bought gift copies in my inventory were purchased way before that so I am fine...
2 year old gifts which had no runtime lock now do.
Pre-existing and newly-bought gifts = affected; copies that have already been activated = unaffected.
Wait what? WHAT? WHAT THE FUCKKDKFHEOIHFL

Let me check my inventory. This can't be true. I have TONS of games.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So we're going to see GOTY results after all? Sweet.

145138-ron-paul-star-wars-its-happeni-Tk1w.gif

I'm really excited about the turnout so far. We've had over 60 votes tallied in the last 24 hours whereas in 2013 (when it was open for 10 days) we only had 165 participants total.

Dr Dogg

If a 30", 7680x4320 240hz, Gsync, low latency, AMVA monitor was available right now I'd be content. But we're a long, long ways away from that plus Windows DPI scaling is still bollocks which would render most application unreadable.

Pre-existing ACRTAG gifts, I meant. I forgot to edit my post.
Ah, you mean games that were bought during ACRTAG of all RU games and now?

Phew. Damn, you got me worried there. I checked my inventory and I don't see any notification so I think I am safe.

People bought games from RU even after ACRTAG-gate? I thought that made it impossible? How did I miss that!?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
If a 30", 7680x4320 240hz, Gysnc, low latency, AMVA monitor was available right now I'd be content. But we're a long, long ways away from that plus Windows DPI scaling is still bollocks which would render most application unreadable.

You will either need quite a few video cards or a particularly old and well optimized game to make good use of that hypothetical monitor. But that's what I'd like too. Although, just a nice affordable gsync would go a really long ways for me I think.

Dsyndrome

Have a 980M on my laptop, but the screen only goes to 1080P. No super resolutions for me, but playing 60FPS for the first time since PS2 is ridiculous.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ah, you mean games that were bought during ACRTAG of all RU games and now?

Phew. Damn, you got me worried there. I checked my inventory and I don't see any notification so I think I am safe.

People bought games from RU even after ACRTAG-gate? I thought that made it impossible? How did I miss that!?

It just imposed an activation restriction on gift copies purchased from certain territories, rendering the gifts useless unless you were willing to use a VPN. At first the flag did remove any inapplicable friends from the "Send my gift directly through Steam" list, but this was later reverted, presumably because Valve realised the ability to send gifts via e-mail rendered direct user-to-user gifting restrictions pointless.

It just imposed an activation restriction on gift copies purchased from certain territories, rendering the gifts useless unless you were willing to use a VPN. At first the flag did remove any inapplicable friends from the "Send my gift directly through Steam" list, but this was later reverted, presumably because Valve realised the ability to send gifts via e-mail rendered direct user-to-user gifting restrictions pointless.
So the games I bought 7 months ago from Russia which are in my inventory are runtime-locked and people I send them to (US & EU) won't be able to activate/play them easily?

Talk to me like I am five.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So the games I bought 7 months ago from Russia which are in my inventory are runtime-locked and people I send them to (US & EU) won't be able to activate/play them easily?

Talk to me like I am five.

If they have the "This is a restricted gift ..." message, yes; otherwise no.

pahamrick

Ah good, I haven't ordered it yet (I might wait since valve is starting to lock EVERYTHING) so that's what I've read in an old topic on reddit, probably the date wasn't announced yet

I'm really hoping Valve doesn't lock down keys from Nuveem.

Who am I kidding, they're probably already working on it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Do we have to vote again? I voted but my name isn't on the list.

Yes, if you originally sent your vote to MRORANGE earlier in the year, you'll need to submit it again (to me) so it can be tallied.

pahamrick

Dear Ghostlight,

While I think it was pretty classy of you to send me a nice response letting me know I wasn't chosen for the Way of the Samurai 4 closed beta by replying to my original email, I'd really have liked no response at all if I wasn't chosen. Getting a response to my email to the closed beta gave me about 20 seconds of super excitement followed by disappointment once I read it.

Thanks.

Dear Ghostlight,

While I think it was pretty classy of you to send me a nice response letting me know I wasn't chosen for the Way of the Samurai 4 closed beta by replying to my original email, I'd really have liked no response at all if I wasn't chosen. Getting a response to my email to the closed beta gave me about 20 seconds of super excitement followed by disappointment once I read it.

Thanks.

Well, at least you get the warm feeling that they actually care about people. Every Ghostlight email is written by a real person, not a bot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom