• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

PlUPrur.png

Go away, stop porking me from below! >:O

That's not only PC gamers, gamers in general aren't very easy to convince to stand against any policies.
And it does threaten millions of people not having access to their libraries if they leave their region. Licences or no, there is no such thing in user agreement and I'm definitely not gonna sign, if it will be added.
I shouldn't have moved to steam after all, it begins to look this way more and more. Although probably gog will follow the suit if everyone will remain silent and complaisant (><)

You signed the figurative documents anyway just by virtue of continuing to use the service.

The best way I can summarize it is that gamers have been conditioned (like Pavlov's dog) over the last decade to expect the lowest price humanly possible, even at the expense of respect for developers and the health of the industry in general. In turn, publishers and third parties have seen this erosion of profit and counteracted with all sorts of shenanigans (day-one DLC, pre-orders, the fight against used games), wonky ownership laws that aren't worth the paper they're printed on and general liberties of their userbase being shunted aside and stomped on.

We haven't hit the breaking point yet, but I believe it will happen in less than five years.

L.O.R.D

I am reading from mobile and just heard the news
Can any one explain to me the new region locked that announced?
I live in Saudi Arabia , same prices as the us
What about keys ?

Miguel81

Looks like I've returned to the Dualshock 3 + BetterDS3 world. The DS4 lasts about 3-4 hours vs 30 w/ the DS3. Can't stand meager management. Hell, my KB/M last at least 40 hours a piece.

Arthea

You signed the figurative documents anyway just by virtue of continuing to use the service.

The best way I can summarize it is that gamers have been conditioned (like Pavlov's dog) over the last decade to expect the lowest price humanly possible, even at the expense of respect for developers and the health of the industry in general. In turn, publishers and third parties have seen this erosion of profit and counteracted with all sorts of shenanigans (day-one DLC, pre-orders, the fight against used games), wonky ownership laws that aren't worth the paper they're printed on and general liberties of their userbase being shunted aside and stomped on.

We haven't hit the breaking point yet, but I believe it will happen in less than five years.
Several of your points are wrong though, day-one DLC, pre-orders and other bullshit is present on consoles as much as on PC, all are region locket (except Sony ones, I'll get back to it later), have insane prices (especially for EU, not sure for AU), digital content is more expensive and you can't resell it. We let it done to us, it's that simple. Even Sony has safeguards against regional buying, for example you can't use credit card in other region and paypal too, actually, you can't use paypal from most countries in the world, even in right region. You still can buy PSN cards of wrong region and buy games this way, true, but as I said PSN games (especially less popular ones) are expensive and never have any discounts or drop in price over the years.
It just how gaming industry works, they try some shit and see if we'll eat it, we eat it all the time, disgusting really (><)
I was really surprised by that "riot" against initial Xbox1, that I wasn't expecting, tbh.

Grief.exe

That's not only PC gamers, gamers in general aren't very easy to convince to stand against any policies.
And it does threaten millions of people not having access to their libraries if they leave their region. Licences or no, there is no such thing in user agreement and I'm definitely not gonna sign, if it will be added.
I shouldn't have moved to steam after all, it begins to look this way more and more. Although probably gog will follow the suit if everyone will remain silent and complaisant (><)

btw, do we know, are games locked retroactively? I mean ones in your library that are from the "wrong region".

If you are moving to a restricted region, then Valve customer support may be able to help you. Possibly flag your account as region free.

Technically, video game profits are at all time highs and continue to grow. Just like the music industry, the publishers will complain with one hand while raking in revenue with the other.

DLC, pre-orders, fight against used game sales are all methods of generating more revenue, not a cry for help.

Arthea

I am reading from mobile and just heard the news
Can any one explain to me the new region locked that announced?
I live in Saudi Arabia , same prices as the us
What about keys ?

you should check what your subs are, if they are ROW, you are probably safe... for now.

Not sure about keys, but as things stand now, I won't be surprised if there will be no ROW keys or subs in the future at all

If you are moving to a restricted region, then Valve customer support may be able to help you. Possibly flag your account as region free.

let's see hypothetical situation, you are going on a month holiday to Balearic Islands from restricted region, you write Valve support that you want access to your library while on holidays, two weeks later you get auto response that basically says you literally nothing, so you write again, and here your holidays end... (><)

btw anybody tried playing restricted game in offline mode yet? Theoretically it should work without usage of VPN, shouldn't it?

Man Puncher said:

The other day the "still Alive" song shuffled up on my ipod. Its been years since I last listen to it. I actually forgot how big "cake" was.

Valve's actions as of late are just symptomatic of a larger fiasco which has largely gone ignored and undereported.

Naaa.. I don't think the masses will care. Most people don't have collections of games. Most have a few and if they lost access, they would just replace it with something else. By a new game on another platform and role.

The real issue here is Valve is starting to act the the monopoly it is. Prices have been creeping up, sales not as good, letting the core services become stagnant and general apathy towards past and current customers.

Kitty Powers' Matchmaker has the potential to be SteamGAF goty 2015

Wishlisted!

Spare games!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (darkchewie, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Reflex #2 -- MB-397AB61247BA9090 - Taken by TheLight. 3 entrants total.
Reflex -- MB-D514A50F3187389F - Taken by Sarcasm. 3 entrants total.
Gunman Clive -- MB-DA227C7F80E5A621 - Taken by Zeeman. 10 entrants total.

t1426172132z1.png

Arthea

games

Kitty Powers' Matchmaker has the potential to be SteamGAF goty 2015

have anybody told you that your taste in games leaves much to be desired? (><)
ya, mine is odd too, but we aren't talking about me

Naaa.. I don't think the masses will care. Most people don't have collections of games. Most have a few and if they lost access, they would just replace it with something else. By a new game on another platform and role.

The real issue here is Valve is starting to act the the monopoly it is. Prices have been creeping up, sales not as good, letting the core services become stagnant and general apathy towards past and current customers.

Unfortunately, I think you are spot on, on all points. This will teach us not to want everything on steam and nowhere else for sure
of course not
but ya, competition is needed, not like it helps a lot for consoles, though...

edited: especially considering that most people on steam plays CS go, TF2 and doto and that's it, well, an occasional survival game too, they won't care for sure.

how so?

and what is my taste in games?

that was a joke... about "collection" you just posted. you really needed that explained?

Ozium

have anybody told you that your taste in games leaves much to be desired? (><)
ya, mine is odd too, but we aren't talking about me

how so?

and what is my taste in games?

edit: hmm Arthea didn't like my links? I am sorry for posting.

Arthea

Talking about LLTQ new plot additions, there are hardly any discussions here for some reason. I probably went through half of routes again and I unlocked only half of those. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack. I had several theories at start, most of them seem to be wrong (><)
It's kinda much better for those that start a game just now, they don't have preconceptions or patterns and can stumble upon new as upon old by trying different new things. It's much harder for those of us that have finished the game, not to mention that I already forgot some things and can't find my notes.

Knurek

Talking about LLTQ new plot additions, there are hardly any discussions here for some reason. I probably went through half of routes again and I unlocked only half of those. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack. I had several theories at start, most of them seem to be wrong (><)

Is there a full route diagram for LLTQ anywhere?

Arthea

Is there a full route diagram for LLTQ anywhere?

I don't think so, it really would be too complicated to make, because of severe branching and many ways to achieve most goals.

Come on over to page 2. We got a bonfire going.

It's only matter of time! keep that fire going

so steam store has been down for a 5 hours now apparently?

It's up and working here already, it was down in the morning, tho

Several of your points are wrong though, day-one DLC, pre-orders and other bullshit is present on consoles as much as on PC, all are region locket (except Sony ones, I'll get back to it later), have insane prices (especially for EU, not sure for AU), digital content is more expensive and you can't resell it. We let it done to us, it's that simple. Even Sony has safeguards against regional buying, for example you can't use credit card in other region and paypal too, actually, you can't use paypal from most countries in the world, even in right region. You still can buy PSN cards of wrong region and buy games this way, true, but as I said PSN games (especially less popular ones) are expensive and never have any discounts or drop in price over the years.
It just how gaming industry works, they try some shit and see if we'll eat it, we eat it all the time, disgusting really (><)
I was really surprised by that "riot" against initial Xbox1, that I wasn't expecting, tbh.

I'm speaking generally. It's not just a PC problem, but the majority of instances are specific to the platform.

As I said before, gamers are complacent. It will take a massive trigger for them to turn wholesale on the industry. I think that trigger is a lot closer than any of us realize. The industry seems to be more reactionary than anything else these days.

I think you're underestimating how... territorial(?) gamers are. They will fight for a cheap deal if they can get their hands on it, and we've already seen backlash (though not widespread) over the aforementioned XB1 and G2A fiascos. Indicating that you'll revoke content en masse (regardless of whether they have collections) is a sure way to get people fired up against you, regardless of whether it was done in good conscience or not.

I do agree that Valve's actions as of late have been more and more restrictive.

L.O.R.D

what about games that i already bought from russain steam ?
they gonna block it ?

or they just gonna block the new bought games ?

Dr Dogg

Just a follow up on my cheapo FM2010 post from the other day. Spanking new copy, still sealed and still does redeem on Steam.
And now I have the full set and by that I mean English copies not going to the lengths of South Korean dupes :p

Also that Ginso Tree end segment in Ori... intense is an understatement.

update on our draconian world domination progress
http://www.metagamerscore.com/most_score_crew
we are 5th now and quite close to 4th place... get on it people!

edited: in other related news, I'm dropping like a rock, not even in top 20 anymore and probably but dropped from top 30 already, damn (><)

Go on, what's the passphrase (I'm really not looking back through this thread and the last for it)

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Just a follow up on my cheapo FM2010 post from the other day. Spanking new copy, still sealed and still does redeem on Steam.

And now I have the full set and by that I mean English copies not going to the lengths of South Korean dupes :p

you're a maniac ... MANIAC, I say!!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom