• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

Is this 2004?

If Valve had no real competition they would tell publishers to fuck off. It is just selling games after all, it isn't rocket science or isn't something the other publishers couldn't do by themselves.

Which they do, which they do a shit job of. Steam is fine and the quicker services like Uplay die the better we will be.

If it was just selling games users wouldn't care where they buy them. From GOG to Steam process of buying games is same, put item in cart, click checkout, pay, enjoy. But because users care about service they complain. And no Steam being only DD service is really not good idea, monopoly is never good idea no matter how good company behind it is.

Dr Dogg

Exciting news boys and girls, Aviary Attorney looks like it supports Ultra Wide resolutions!
tumblr_nkuei3bcrY1tlqtbyo1_500.jpg
June is so far away :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If it was just selling games users wouldn't care where they buy them. From GOG to Steam process of buying games is same, put item in cart, click checkout, pay, enjoy. But because users care about service they complain. And no Steam being only DD service is really not good idea, monopoly is never good idea no matter how good company behind it is.

He's talking about publisher-specific clients, not competing stores.

dex3108

He's talking about publisher-specific clients, not competing stores.

Clients can help too. For example as far as i remember Origin and UPlay had Twitch Streaming integrated before Steam implemented Broadcast. And it is still better to have option to stream on Twitch then only on Steam. UPlay reward system was there before Steam implemented Cards (in some way reward system for Steam), UPlay implemented option to play game while you are downloading it so we can expect Steam and Origin to something similar etc. Competition is good in every way.

JaseC

Clients can help too. For example as far as i remember Origin and UPlay had Twitch Streaming integrated before Steam implemented Broadcast. And it is still better to have option to stream on Twitch then only on Steam. UPlay reward system was there before Steam implemented Cards (in some way reward system for Steam), UPlay implemented option to play game while you are downloading it so we can expect Steam and Origin to something similar etc. Competition is good in every way.

None of those features were groundbreaking firsts, plus the content hidden behind Uplay's rewards system is stuff that would have been unlockable in-game a decade ago (an extra mission here, bonus items there). I don't consider Uplay acting as a middle-man client a nuisance but I do agree that it doesn't offer anything of import -- it's an extra step and nothing more.

dex3108

None of those features were groundbreaking firsts, plus the content hidden behind Uplay's rewards system is stuff that would have been unlockable in-game a decade ago. I don't consider Uplay acting as a middle-man client a nuisance but I do agree that it doesn't offer anything of import -- it's an extra step and nothing more.

But they are trying to improve that. 20% discount for 100 UPlay points is not bad, offering soundtrack for UPlay points is not bad, free game on Origin every month is not bad. I agree that they need to work harder on those services but i for sure doesn't want them to die.

JaseC

But they are trying to improve that. 20% discount for 100 UPlay points is not bad, offering soundtrack for UPlay points is not bad, free game on Origin every month is not bad. I agree that they need to work harder on those services but i for sure doesn't want them to die.

I don't mind them, but they should serve as an example of competition rather than fragmentation. Ubi is mostly good about this, to be fair -- the only Uplay game that isn't on Steam is Tintin (and I suppose King Kong, if buying it on Ubi's store ties it to your library, which I'm not sure about).

Competition is good in every way.

It isn't competition.

You don't sit down and think "I want to buy the latest Assassins Creed because it looks amazing, lets see which digital service is the best these days so I can buy it on that".

All the things you say only make sense if you are given an actual choice, which you are not.

wilflare

I've got a question

when is Valve updating the Android app to Material Design? it's kinda pointless I wanna uninstall it from my phone

it's a rhetorical question that I know the answer to

dex3108

It isn't competition.

You don't sit down and think "I want to buy the latest Assassins Creed because it looks amazing, lets see which digital service is the best these days so I can buy it on that".

All the things you say only make sense if you are given an actual choice, which you are not.

I got AC Unity Gold edition on GMG for 22$ and i knew that i am buying UPlay version and i was OK with that. I knew what UPlay can offer me and what Steam version can offer me and i didn't saw difference worth additional 60$ so i choose UPlay version. So yes i take in consideration price and service. If Steam offered me 60$ value for purchasing game on their system i would gladly take it.

I got AC Unity Gold edition on GMG for 22$ and i knew that i am buying UPlay version and i was OK with that. I knew what UPlay can offer me and what Steam version can offer me and i didn't saw difference worth additional 60$ so i choose UPlay version. So yes i take in consideration price and service. If Steam offered me 60$ value for purchasing game on their system i would gladly take it.

So ultimately instead of buying the Uplay version, you purchased the Uplay version.

So now with Zestiria coming to PC, the other Tales games are totally coming as well, right?
I know it will depend on Zestiria's sales, but we've seen how well jrpgs are received on steam so good sales are a given.

dex3108

So ultimately instead of buying the Uplay version, you purchased the Uplay version.

Instead of getting Steam version and +1 on my account for 80 euros i got UPlay version for 22$. And i got absolutely same experience as Steam owners for significantly less money.

Arthea

So now with Zestiria coming to PC, the other Tales games are totally coming as well, right?
I know it will depend on Zestiria's sales, but we've seen how well jrpgs are received on steam so good sales are a given.

I don't think they'll port older ones, too much work maybe with exception of ToV, but new, if ToZ sales are amazing, most likely will come, what's not bad, although Tales series can get tiresome after a while, too many games, too similar, some aren't that good ;)

edited: btw, I want ToG and ToA on PC mostly, Tales of Abyss because it runs so poorly on PS2, Tales of Graces because it's fun to play. On second thought I wouldn't say no to Tales of Destiny HD, but that not gonna happen.

Knurek

I don't think they'll port older ones, too much work maybe with exception of ToV, but new, if ToZ sales are amazing, most likely will come, what's not bad, although Tales series can get tiresome after a while, too many games, too similar, some aren't that good ;)

Not to mention how awful the previous games were localized.
That horrible Abyss dub, and removing voices from the skits. Thank god for UNDUBs...

Instead of getting Steam version and +1 on my account for 80 euros i got UPlay version for 22$. And i got absolutely same experience as Steam owners for significantly less money.

So you are saying because Uplay exists, it lets Ubisoft sell you their game cheaper than Ubisoft selling you the Uplay version.

And you blame Valve. You seem to be quite confused about who is selling what.

Time for me to stop stubbornly using my DS2 controller and upgrade to DS3. The driver and scpwrapper was very quick and easy to install. Got Deadly Premonition working perfectly first time. Saves me stress. Good memories with that pad but it's back to the cupboard now. only downside is the USB cable I have is a bit shorter than the PS2's cable.

Arthea

Not to mention how awful the previous games were localized.
That horrible Abyss dub, and removing voices from the skits. Thank god for UNDUBs...

I didn't mind it that much, actually.

A thought just occurred to me, Tales are AssCreed of JRPGs, too many games that play pretty much the same and feels like the same game.

edited: btw, I do mind that they insist on translating songs, for reason I can't fathom.

edited: btw, I want ToG and ToA on PC mostly, Tales of Abyss because it runs so poorly on PS2, Tales of Graces because it's fun to play. On second thought I wouldn't say no to Tales of Destiny HD, but that not gonna happen.

I've only played ToX 1&2 and really enjoyed them.
I've been on the fence about Graces F and Symphonia and now there's a bundle for £15 that is tempting but I don't want another case of buying the PS3 version of a game only to have it come to PC later.
I'm on the fence because I'm afraid the cast is too annoying for my taste, if I don't like the characters in a rpg I end up dropping it sooner or later and my tolerance for stupid anime kids is really low.

Knurek

I didn't mind it that much, actually.

A thought just occurred to me, Tales are AssCreed of JRPGs, too many games that play pretty much the same and feels like the same game.

edited: btw, I do mind that they insist on translating songs, for reason I can't fathom.

They used instrumental version for Abyss, and truth be told, I preferred that to the original.
I'd say Idea Factory games are the AssCreeds of JRPGs, each Tales game feels significantly different to me.

Arthea

I've only played ToX 1&2 and really enjoyed them.
I've been on the fence about Graces F and Symphonia and now there's a bundle for £15 that is tempting but I don't want another case of buying the PS3 version of a game only to have it come to PC later.
I'm on the fence because I'm afraid the cast is too annoying for my taste, if I don't like the characters in a rpg I end up dropping it sooner or later and my tolerance for stupid anime kids is really low.

If you hate stupid kids that much, Tales basically are no go, as ToX is exception from the rule, characters being rather mature and Milla is probably the best female character in Tales series, although Tear was good too.

Arthea

They used instrumental version for Abyss, and truth be told, I preferred that to the original.
I'd say Idea Factory games are the AssCreeds of JRPGs, each Tales game feels significantly different to me.

There are not nearly enough Idea Factory games (and let's be honest most are not popular at all) to be AssCreed of anything.

I can see that and Tales of the Abyss is definitely the Assassins Creed 3

rude!
I like ToA... well except that it's close to unplayable on PS2

If you hate stupid kids that much, Tales basically are no go, as ToX is exception from the rule, characters being rather mature and Milla is probably the best female character in Tales series, although Tear was good too.

I've been considering getting Hearts R for my Vita when it goes on sale, from what I've seen the main characters are pretty decent.
Symphonia doesn't seem too bad in that regard either.

Arthea

So, exactly like AssCreed (unless you're JaseC)?
God damn it, AssFlags is 30 GB. Why is it so big? Why?!

just curious, how many IF games you've played that you have so strong opinion about those.

I actually see AssCreed games for about 3 hours and then never again (><)
But I agree that they maybe not that bad, as more of not my thing, because if Jasec plays them so religiously, there has to be something good about all thing, no?

edited: pfft, 30GB, it's nothing

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Uncompressed sea shanties.

How Ubisoft managed to even ruin the sea shanties feature in Blackflag was that the playlist was never randomized. So even after unlocking a large selection of songs, the sailors would start up the same one or two songs.

I wondered if they bothered to fix this with a patch.

Nah. Crytek got the IP from THQ and announced a sequel. But they ended up cancelling it and selling the IP to Deep Silver

It was known before that a sequel was happening. THQ contracted Crytek to work on it, then when they went down Crytek thought they might as well buy it and don't let their work go to waste.

How Ubisoft managed to even ruin the sea shanties feature in Blackflag was that the playlist was never randomized. So even after unlocking a large selection of songs, the sailors would start up the same one or two songs.

Pretty sure they would have fixed it. No way would Ubisoft leave something repetitive in an Assassins Creed game.

Miguel81

"Running down to Cuba" is so played out lol.

I tend to also grab Uplay-only versions due to the deals. In the end, I just want to play the games.

Unless Ubi screws up again, and uplay doesn't give you the latest patch while steam works perfectly fine.

Arthea

Valiant Heart's gameplay is super dull, buyers beware.

I'm inclined to agree, not like super dull, but I find a game somewhat boring, probably still need to finish before jumping to conclusions, tho. It's just I somehow don't feel like going back to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom