• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

... Destiny? seriously? well.... I didn't see that coming, for sure (><)

Neither did the host for the event, Rufus Hound. He sounded taken aback a bit as well. David Braben's speech while accepting his Fellowship Award touched on how we're in a 'Golden Age' for gaming, that games don't have to be all about killing people and that the breadth of talent has show how much innovation is shining through right now and then that happens straight after. You couldn't make it up

Knurek

I've been talking about "Award for best game you *played/beat* last year" ever since the get go, nobody ever listens to me. :(

I'm... actually really enjoying Revelaitons. Aside from the stupid tower defense minigame thing its solid so far. It also runs LEAGUES better than Freedom Cry did, although it does look worse in some respects (textures are a step down, lighting is a bit flat, faces look rough, no pretty waves).
You only really need to do that tower game one time. I never did it more that the first time.

So SteamGAF how many of you will get GTA V day 1?

5shiFPs.jpg

Adjust for inflation brah

And I would have bought it day one anyway but I got in at 30 dollars with that China price glitch so I'm definitely there <3

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm... actually really enjoying Revelaitons. Aside from the stupid tower defense minigame thing its solid so far. It also runs LEAGUES better than Freedom Cry did, although it does look worse in some respects (textures are a step down, lighting is a bit flat, faces look rough, no pretty waves).
It's like a generation behind Freedom Cry when comparing the PC releases. I would hope it runs better.

Dr Dogg

I've been talking about "Award for best game you *played/beat* last year" ever since the get go, nobody's been listening to me. :(

The only issue I see, and it is a big issue, is that if you effectively have a nominations list of every game every the chances of narrowing down a polled list from entrants into something of an overall winner is a bit like a crap shoot. If you have 200 entrants who all vote for 5 games and each votes for a completely unique game you have 1,000 titles with 200 a piece sharing 5th, 200 sharing 4th, 200 sharing 3rd etc.

Really if you're going to do something like that you should just have a discussion based thread where you write a little something about say, your 3 favourite games of the year. Nothing extravagant, 100-200 words, let the thread run and then at the end of it sum up everything in the OP.

I've never been that keen on rating one game over the other. I find it a bit reductive, especially when all you're doing is slapping a metric on it. Sure it works in group polling but my tastes vary greatly depending on my mood. I mean I was messing around in Dead Space earlier and could really see some of the qualities of that game shine through that endear me to it even after all these years but it wasn't even in my thoughts yesterday. Also I can love games just as much as each other for completely different reasons, like AssCreed and Civ. Could I tell you which I love more? No probably not and if I could the answer would change daily, mostly as I said earlier depending on my mood. I think talk about our favourites and why we like them is much, much more constructive than just a grading or tallied score but ain't nobody got time for that it seems :(

Jawmuncher

There's nothing worse than having all these games in your backlog but not really being in the mood to play any of them. Might just start up Resident Evil or Metal Gear Solid. Which game in the series? Who Knows.

Divinity is a great winner, but lets see how SteamGAF did in comparison to 2013 (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=95868586#post95868586). I have censored the list of games since it is just my opinion and it might upset people, even if it is completely correct:

Mediocre mass market: 2 (=)
Style over substance: 2 (+1)
Overrated: 2 (+1)
Good: 4 (-2!)

Mediocre Mass market: 2
Style over substance: 1
Overrated: 1
Good: 6

I'm not sure if this highlights how poor 2014 was by comparison, or a shift based on the smaller amount of people who voted. Really if you treat Bioshock Infinite as a massive outlier, 2013 seems a much stronger set of games to me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The only issue I see, and it is a big issue, is that if you effectively have a nominations list of every game every the chances of narrowing down a polled list from entrants into something of an overall winner is a bit like a crap shoot. If you have 200 entrants who all vote for 5 games and each votes for a completely unique game you have 1,000 titles with 200 a piece sharing 5th, 200 sharing 4th, 200 sharing 3rd etc.

Really if you're going to do something like that you should just have a discussion based thread where you write a little something about say, your 3 favourite games of the year. Nothing extravagant, 100-200 words, let the thread run and then at the end of it sum up everything in the OP.

Exactly right. For example, look at the the SteamGAF GOTY full results and look at #45 and downward. So many games tied in score, mostly because there was only one person that voted for a particular game. Even when it was narrowed down to Steam games that released last year, you're still talking about 179 people picking from a list of over 1,000 titles. Now take those same 179 people and have them spread their votes out over 10x as many games or more.

titch

I had a great time doing the GOTY voting this year and watching everyone guess stuff as the top 10 were revealed was a real treat.

I'll definitely be doing it again next year, unless MRORANGE wants to take over again.

To celebrate the steamgaf goty here's a few games that missed my top 5 cut ;)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (titch, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Crunch Time! -- MB-04F899CC235F1A25 - Taken by Casimir. 1 entrants total.
Evil Pumpkin: The Lost Halloween -- MB-9722E29485ECD96E - Taken by Abomination. 2 entrants total.
Chronicles of a Dark Lord: Episode I Tides of Fate -- MB-677A978BB8D2B477 - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
The Journey Down: Chapter 1 -- MB-C8D032BA37FB36B3 - Taken by Tesseract. 3 entrants total.
Chronicles of a Dark Lord: Episode II War of The Abyss -- MB-587883458854BC34 - Taken by someguyinahat. 3 entrants total.
RADical ROACH Deluxe Edition -- MB-D9AF85B8FF1AB8BE - Taken by kurahador. 5 entrants total.
Retention -- MB-64CE7B46E3FDCB17 - Taken by Saty. 4 entrants total.

t1426294481z1.png

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
There's nothing worse than having all these games in your backlog but not really being in the mood to play any of them. Might just start up Resident Evil or Metal Gear Solid. Which game in the series? Who Knows.

This has been me since November of last year. I keep looking at my backlog and thinking, "I should really get started on some of these," and then I never do. Just haven't been in the mood for most of them, and up until lately I only really bothered loading up co-op games exclusively.

Hotline Miami 2 did a lot of things right and a lot of things wrong, but one thing it did do for me was make me want to play games again. Except now I have all this stuff that needs doing so I don't know when I'll be able to play things again! Ah, SteamGAF problems~

Shadownet

Banned
jshackles, if you could. Can you tell me which place The Wolf Among Us got? I think it's my only disappointment that it didn't make top 10.

Jawmuncher

anyone have Revelations 2 ?
when i start the game i see japanese text
and i see this screen

i bought it from nuuvem
any one bought it from steam or GMG ?

I bought off Nuuvem and it says Resident Evil.
Did you check you cache for the game? You had a US code so it shouldnt be saying Biohazard. You might have somehow messed with setting and changed it. Here is how to change it back.
Options then Language. You'll just have to switch through the top ones until you find a language you understand.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
jshackles, if you could. Can you tell me which place The Wolf Among Us got? I think it's my only disappointment that it didn't make top 10.

It got 25th place - in the 2013 voting.

The full 2014 results are listed here.

Haven't played Divinity yet so it wasn't on my list. Kinda disappointed that Alien didn't make it. With the exception of Tits I decided to not include ports of games that were released on console in previous years or else my list would've been dominated by games I played years ago instead of actual 2014 releases (Revengeance, Valkyria Chronicles, RE4...).

Edit: well, at least Alien made it into the top 10.

Shadownet

Banned
It got 25th place - in the 2013 voting.

The full 2014 results are listed here.

Oh, i guess it didnt make 2014. I thought episodic releases might get an exception. Thank you.

Just took a glance at the thread. For those of you who voted for
57 | 1849 (2 Points / 2 APS)
57 | A Bird Story (2 Points / 2 APS)
57 | Always Sometimes Monsters (2 Points / 2 APS)
57 | Caribbean! (2 Points / 2 APS)
57 | DreadOut (2 Points / 2 APS)
57 | Dreamfall Chapters (2 Points / 2 APS)
57 | Final Fantasy III (2 Points / 2 APS)
57 | Gunhound EX (2 Points / 2 APS)
57 | Hexcells (2 Points / 2 APS)
57 | Insurgency (2 Points / 2 APS)
57 | LEGO The Hobbit (2 Points / 2 APS)
57 | Love (2 Points / 2 APS)
57 | LYNE (2 Points / 2 APS)
57 | Mind: Path to Thalamus (2 Points / 2 APS)
57 | Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae (2 Points / 2 APS)
57 | Mountain (2 Points / 2 APS)
57 | Revolver360 Re:Actor (2 Points / 2 APS)
57 | Tabletop Simulator (2 Points / 2 APS)
57 | Tales from the Borderlands (2 Points / 2 APS)
57 | The Escapists (2 Points / 2 APS)
57 | Velocibox (2 Points / 2 APS)
58 | GRID Autosport (2 Points / 1 APS)
58 | Ikaruga (2 Points / 1 APS)
Somewhere out there, you have a soulmate.

Dr Dogg

Exactly right. For example, look at the the SteamGAF GOTY full results and look at #45 and downward. So many games tied in score, mostly because there was only one person that voted for a particular game. Even when it was narrowed down to Steam games that released last year, you're still talking about 179 people picking from a list of over 1,000 titles. Now take those same 179 people and have them spread their votes out over 10x as many games or more.

I remember when there was just shy of 2,000 items, not games but items in total on Steam and I thought to myself 'wow I'll never get near that amount'. Flash forward to today and I'm closing in on 1,000 games owned and I'm even further away from owning everything on Steam. Last year was crazy for the amount of new releases, even without the rubbish dumped on there.

denx

This has been me since November of last year. I keep looking at my backlog and thinking, "I should really get started on some of these," and then I never do. Just haven't been in the mood for most of them, and up until lately I only really bothered loading up co-op games exclusively.

Hotline Miami 2 did a lot of things right and a lot of things wrong, but one thing it did do for me was make me want to play games again. Except now I have all this stuff that needs doing so I don't know when I'll be able to play things again! Ah, SteamGAF problems~

Holy crap are we mind-linked or something? For the last month or two I've had very little drive to play any game from my Steam collection. I only played Pokemon ORAS compulsively for like three weeks. HM2 got me back rolling again.

So SteamGAF how many of you will get GTA V day 1?

I have the game day zero. I most likely should had waited, but oh well.

anyone have Revelations 2 ?
when i start the game i see japanese text
and i see this screen

i bought it from nuuvem
any one bought it from steam or GMG ?

I bought it from Steam and also get the japanese text and Biohazard instead of Resident Evil. Maybe that's what's causing the issues in Raid mode?

jshackles

Huh, that's interesting. Kotaku interviews Valve business development "authority" Erik Johnson.

"The BBB is a far less useful proxy for customer issues than Reddit," Johnson began. "We don't use them for much. They don't provide us as useful of data as customers emailing us, posting on Reddit, posting on Twitter, and so on."

"The more important thing is that we don't feel like our customer service support is where it needs to be right now," he said. "We think customers are right. When they say our support's bad, our initial reaction isn't to say, 'No, it's actually good. Look at all of this.' It's to say that, no, they're probably right, because they usually are when it comes to this kind of thing. We hear those complaints, and that's gonna be a big focus for us throughout the year. We have a lot of work to do there. We have to do better."

When an issue's got roots this deep, though, how do you even begin to untangle it? Valve, Johnson explained, is looking at a complete overhaul.

"We need to do a variety of things," he said. "We need to build customer support directly into Steam. We need to understand what's the most efficient way to solve customer problems. Right now we're in a state where we're doing a bunch of technical work on thinking through how does a support issue get raised, who has to see it, how do refunds get issued within Steam&#8212;we've done a poor job on all of that up to this date. We think it's something we really need to focus on."

Phinor

Mediocre mass market: 2 (=)
Style over substance: 2 (+1)
Overrated: 2 (+1)
Good: 4 (-2!)

Mediocre Mass market: 2

I'm not sure if this highlights how poor 2014 was by comparison, or a shift based on the smaller amount of people who voted. Really if you treat Bioshock Infinite as a massive outlier, 2013 seems a much stronger set of games to me.

Here's how they stand for me:

Mediocre mass market: 0
Style over substance: 3

Mediocre mass market: 2
Overrated: 2
Good: 5

Overall I do prefer 2014 games over 2013 and the top 10 Steam lists support that little theory. If we add console games though, 2013 takes over thanks to couple of games. Last year was just bad on console (exclusives) especially since I don't really care for most Nintendo games.

Nabs

Ori is pretty legit, not incredible legit, but pretty legit.

I just beat it and loved my time with it. I thought it was great, but one major issue will be the
difficulty spikes. I didn't mind them myself, but I could see it being a problem for some people with short fuses. I think they could have designed them with checkpoints in mind, but whatevs. It's just a small issue in the middle of a really fun experience.

It took me 7 hours and a million deaths. I highly recommend it. It's a good deal at 20, a great deal at 15, a steal at 10.

Tip: set launch options to -popupwindow and that'll enable borderless windowed mode.

Ori is pretty legit, not incredible legit, but pretty legit.

I'm very interested, but holding off. I feel like at least the Xbox One version will be cheap soon enough.

Steamgaf and steam sales have converted me to the 50%+ camp (For downloadables. I use Gamefly for retail.).

Dr Dogg

Huh, that's interesting. Kotaku interviews Valve business development "authority" Erik Johnson.

The name Better Business Bureau has always striked me as something a bunch of fussy mums at a PTA meeting would come up with. At least our commercial business regulator has an authoritative name, Trading Standards, pity they do fuck all unless they're showered with complaints and still never comment on individual cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom