• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Really disappointing pricing on the RE5 DLC bundle. Sub 10$ and I would have bought it no hesitation. 15$ for two levels that *might* be an hour long each? I can wait.

Forget PoE, biggest release today is
capsule_184x69.jpg

Boy does this game bring back memories.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I've been working with IsThereAnyDeal.com to improve the way that Enhanced Steam presents price history and bundle info on the store pages. I thought I'd share with you guys what I've come up with and solicit some feedback.

Currently this feature looks like this (like seriously I'm not sure why the CSS formatting code wasn't ever updated when the store was *sadface*)

It tells you the information you need to know, but it doesn't give all of the information it really could to help people make informed purchase decisions.

Here is what I have now for the same space:

So basically: updated CSS and a breakdown of each bundle tier - which games it contains and what the price for that tier is. This should help reduce confusion that some people had previously (see first screenshot) where they're browsing on a store page like Tetrobot and it says they need to pay at least $1 and that it includes Shadowrun Returns. Then they click the link and find out that Shadowrun is actually $10.

Also, I appoligize that this version of Enhanced Steam is taking so long to release. I've got a lot of major "under the hood" stuff going on with the extension that's taking longer than anticipated, and I've also been dealing with a lot of family issues recently. But it's still being worked on!

Sendou

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Beta: This giveaway is a trivia giveaway. In your PM, include BOTH the ModBot code for the game you want AND the answer to the trivia question on the same line separated by a space. Capitalization and punctuation are not important. Here is a visual example of how to format your ModBot PM
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sendou, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Pillars of Eternity -- MB-2DFB3CF4495AC4E5 - Taken by ViviOggi. 18 entrants total. Trivia Question: See the instructions below?

t1427421388z1.png

POSTERS ARE STRANGE

Here's four pictures of posters you can discover in the first episode of Life is Strange: #1 #2 #3 #4

Each poster has words blacked out. What you need to pay close attention to are the words marked with the color purple. When you find the words "blacked out" with purple (can you say that?!) you need to take the first letter of each and form a name. (No need to consider the order the posters are listed in above. Letters of the name are scrambled.) Then you simply need to figure out the number of the room she resides in and turn it into a Roman numeral. That is your answer. Please ask if there's something that isn't clear to you.

In addition to the 24h raffle I'm going to be giving a copy of Pillars of Eternity to the person who is the fastest to discover the answer and PM'ing it to me. Instead of PoE you could always choose another sub-20 game as your reward. P.S. I'm only going to pay this out after the raffle is finished to avoid overlapping. Also not going to tell to the potential winner whether they got it right or not to make the raffle fair. EDIT: Got two right answers already.

Just reposting this for the last time.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Trashy trash trash -- MB-D46644E26FA2A801 - Taken by dave is ok

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I really hope someone gets this, both to justify your effort and money, and so they can experience LiS, which is cool, and Pillars of Eternity, which seems cool.

So basically: updated CSS and a breakdown of each bundle tier - which games it contains and what the price for that tier is. This should help reduce confusion that some people had previously (see first screenshot) where they're browsing on a store page like Tetrobot and it says they need to pay at least $1 and that it includes Shadowrun Returns. Then they click the link and find out that Shadowrun is actually $10.

Big improvement, will be super useful.

madjoki

I can't think of any obvious ones missing from there. The list would be even shorter if EA didn't shove Frostbite down all their dev's throats.
It sounds like Mantle has essentially been dropped.

To be honest, I prefer it this way. Mantle did it's mission, which is Vulkan/glNext & DX12.

Vendor specific APIs (Gameworks, PhysX, Mantle, etc.) and Libraries need to die. It's bad for consumers, since it limits choices. We need open solutions that can be implemented by all GPU vendors to work equally good.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is this the entire list of Mantle-supported games? It seems...small. I wanted to try it out but I don't have any of those.

I don't think it's a secret that AMD wanted Mantle to have more support, however it did succeed in lighting a fire under the arses of Nvidia (DX11-optimised drivers) and Microsoft (DX12's mission in general). But that doesn't really mean Mantle is a perfect portrait of why competition is great; it is, after all, a vendor and, worse still, an architecture-specific API. You can bet your left hand that Mantle didn't get off the ground for any reason less than AMD hoping to follow in the footsteps of 3DFX's early success with Glide.

This giveaway makes me feel retarded, I looked at all of the posters and have no honest idea what word would go underneath the posters. It's probably for the best though with my backlog I'd be kind of scared the game would go to waste. Although it being an obsidian rpg would probably rank it pretty highly. Good luck to everyone smarter than me.

zkylon

zkylewd
what did you end up gettin

actually nothing just yet, but i guess i'll get that r9 280 thing since lots of people told me my psu would be ok

the store told me they were out of stock and to check back with them this friday so i'm waiting for that. i'll go to argie ebay if the store keeps telling me to call again

got a small freelance job to afford the card so at least that's not a big deal

So ArcheAge is back on Steam. I'm kinda tempted to try it.
i heard pretty bad things but my friend that likes it says it's pretty cool

so i downloaded it, created a cat race character and then deleted it

Sendou

This giveaway makes me feel retarded, I looked at all of the posters and have no honest idea what word would go underneath the posters. It's probably for the best though with my backlog I'd be kind of scared the game would go to waste. Although it being an obsidian rpg would probably rank it pretty highly. Good luck to everyone smarter than me.

The point is to actually find the corresponding posters in the game and figure out the words that way.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Can you highlight the tier the game it's for is actually in?

Let me see what I can do. Obviously, the "Pay at least" and the dollar amount will change based on the tier it's in, but let me play around with it to see about highlighting it.

The point is to actually find the corresponding posters in the game and figure out the words that way.

That makes a lot of sense, unfortunately I'm too broke to buy life is strange which is kind of sad because it looks like it's right up my alley. Hope someone wins it though because I applaud the effort for doing a giveaway in this fashion.

Dr Dogg

Holly shit! When did the Steam client get proper PPI scaling? Just switched my desktop to 3840x2160 and the client didn't shrink down at all like it usually does.

JakeD

Anybody with PoE installed - does the game use steam CEG? Will it boot without steam?

I'm torn between gog and steam on this one but if the steam version is DRM free I'll roll with that

also Valkyria Chronicles bought

Nice, I hope you enjoy it. Personally I think running a gen or 2 behind makes for a better experience. Better sales and lower system requirements make for a much happier wallet and there's far more choice and it's easier to find people who genuinely appreciate the games if you want to talk about them.

HoosTrax

Bad timing with that plane simulator deal.
Yeah I brought that up earlier as well. And sure enough, there are people joking about crashing planes into mountains and remarking about the awkward timing of the sale on the Steam pages.

I assume these deals are worked out in advance though, and it's hard to find a replacement on short notice.

Dr Dogg

Must be nice, mine is still tiny if I bump the desktop up to 4K.

Huh? So what witchcraft is this?

Shouldn't be anything different than your setup. Latest Nvidia drivers (347.88), Windows 8.1 up to date as of this morning, latest Steam beta client and global scaling settings at 100%. Only difference maybe native monitor resolution as I've got a 1920x1080 panel hooked up at the moment but I just swapped back to a 2560x1440 one and that behaves the same as well. Doing nothing more than resizing with DSR.

Well fuck me a 4k monitor might be back on he cards sooner than I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom