• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to buy Alien Isolation for 14$ but my 4 year old CPU looks like it's finally hitting walls with games it can run. My GPU is alright, a year old, but mobo is as old as my CPU and I need more RAM. I just don't have the money to upgrade right now. A lot of people complained that the previous generation of consoles held games back by sticking around for so long but I kinda liked that I could run pretty much everything for years with minimal hardware upgrades.

It's weird, in the past I've always picked a game I wanted, no, needed to play and would build my rig around that, Battlefiled 1942, Half-Life 2/Doom 3, Crysis. Problem is that game doesn't really exist for me right now.

I would love to buy Alien Isolation for 14$ but my 4 year old CPU looks like it's finally hitting walls with games it can run. My GPU is alright, a year old, but mobo is as old as my CPU and I need more RAM. I just don't have the money to upgrade right now. A lot of people complained that the previous generation of consoles held games back by sticking around for so long but I kinda liked that I could run pretty much everything for years with minimal hardware upgrades.

It's weird, in the past I've always picked a game I wanted, no, needed to play and would build my rig around that, Battlefiled 1942, Half-Life 2/Doom 3, Crysis. Problem is that game doesn't really exist for me right now.

Weird, what's your CPU? I thought that any 4 or 5 years old CPU would be able to run it without issues.

Turfster

I would love to buy Alien Isolation for 14$ but my 4 year old CPU looks like it's finally hitting walls with games it can run. My GPU is alright, a year old, but mobo is as old as my CPU and I need more RAM

Alien isn't all that CPU intensive.
I mean, I still game on a Phenom II X4 925, and that's 6 years old now, and it ran fine.

Khronico

I've been living and breathing Medieval 2 Total War lately, fantastic game that just gets better with mods. Right now I'm playing the Crusader States (courtesy of the awesome Stainless Steel mod) and trying to overcome the Fatimid Caliphate. I managed to forge an alliance with the Seljuk Turks so my northern cities are safe (for now). The pope isn't really happy with me becoming buddy-buddy with the Turkish or that I haven't really been following the stated objectives of the crusade, but I'm financially/militarily secure enough to not really care what the pope thinks. My master plan is to absorb the Caliphate and march on Spain, eventually creating a circle of Crusader fortresses around the Mediterranean.

TL;DR buy Medieval 2 right now since it's on sale.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
In your heart.

ChestBurster.gif.CROP.original-original.gif

Weird, what's your CPU? I thought that any 4 or 5 years old CPU would be able to run it without issues.

Alien isn't all that CPU intensive.
I mean, I still game on a Phenom II X4 925, and that's 6 years old now, and it ran fine.

What CPU is that? Because Alien does not need a lot to run with 60+ frames.

i7 quad core 2.8GHz.

I mean I could buy Alien, see how the game runs and if it doesn't well, I can wait to play it after I upgrade my rig. It's only 14$.

Benedict

Runs fine on my Intel Core2Duo E7500 @2.93GHz and Nvidia GTX 460

i7 quad core 2.8GHz.

I mean I could buy Alien, see how the game runs and if it doesn't well, I can wait to play it after I upgrade my rig. It's only 14$.

Alien is one of the most optimized current gen games on PC. The only issue it has is that AA is pretty ineffective due to the nature of its shader usage but other than that, it runs like a dream.

Ozium

Could have told you that.
When I played a friend's beta copy, it spawned me without weapons and the first time I left the sample village, I got swarmed by big ass spiders and died =p

and this is what neogaf praises..

meanwhile games like GODUS or DRAGON THE GAME get shit on

:/

Milamber

Just spend two weeks in Australia and you'll get over it. I mean, I was once afraid of spending money unnecessarily and now look at me.

Money doesn't crawl into your open mouth while you sleep.

Or into your shoes before you wear them.

Or inside your helmet before you wear it.

Or burst open into tiny little moneylings when you step onto it.

Turfster

Just spend two weeks in Australia and you'll get over it. I mean, I was once afraid of spending money unnecessarily and now look at me.

Well that's because you know you can die at any moment and you can't take it with you.
Also stuff in Straya is stupid expensive =p

im trying to launch RE5 so I can try that new steamworks patch but I always get a prompt that says, "Failed to Start Game (Missing Executable)"

Capcpom plz

rtcn63

Resident Evil 6's campaign is as bad I remember it. A game whose combat partially relies on close-up melee shouldn't have so many stray bullets from far off-screen and an unpredictable camera. And that knock down each time your character loses a health block. I just passed an area that requires you to jump from platform to platform while snipers (most of whom you can't reach as Chris, since he doesn't get the sniper rifle at that point or ever) whittle your spirits. The ability to switch between characters would've helped. And twice I've meant to throw a grenade, only to use a first-aid spray. I hate the crossbar inventory thing so much.

Still, I've played worse games. Died more from QTE's and strays than anything else. The guns... they feel anemic compared to RE4 and 5, but that may just be my memory playing tricks.

derExperte

i7 quad core 2.8GHz.

Usually I'd ask for the exact name, I suspect the CPU is actually older than four years (probably from the gen before the 2500/2600) and saying that your GPU is a year old doesn't help either but that really doesn't matter with Alien, it'll run fine, probably better than on 'nextgen' consoles.

zkylon

zkylewd
Could have told you that.
When I played a friend's beta copy, it spawned me without weapons and the first time I left the sample village, I got swarmed by big ass spiders and died =p
nah,i knew that, i just hoped there wouldn't be a big boss spider

despite what ignorant ppl may think shock therapy makes things worse

i've been subjected to "shock therapy" for half of my life and the only thing it's done is making me incapable of ever really trusting people

Jawmuncher

Resident Evil 6's campaign is as bad I remember it. A game whose combat partially relies on close-up melee shouldn't have so many stray bullets from far off-screen and an unpredictable camera. And that knock down each time your character loses a health block. I just passed an area that requires you to jump from platform to platform while snipers (most of whom you can't reach as Chris, since he doesn't get the sniper rifle at that point or ever) whittle your spirits. The ability to switch between characters would've helped. And twice I've meant to throw a grenade, only to use a first-aid spray.

Still, I've played worse games. Died more from QTE's and strays than anything else.

Put QTEs on auto. You can completely change the camera FoV and speed. You need to incorporate dodge rolls regularly with gun enemies. Don't play it like RE4/5 where you are just aiming and running up for melee. If you can't reach you can easily run past them.
Granted game isn't perfect but a lot of issues I feel can be overcome quite easily. But I blame the game for not really telling how.
I can play with you if you want.

rtcn63

You can increase FOV? That should help. I've started using dodge rolls, slides, etc. Fun in close-quarters areas, but when the games goes full on Gears/COD, it's easier to hang back and shoot at the expense of ammo. Or not, I don't claim to be good at these things.

(Playing on Veteran btw)

Usually I'd ask for the exact name, I suspect the CPU is actually older than four years (probably from the gen before the 2500/2600) and saying that your GPU is a year old doesn't help either but that really doesn't matter with Alien, it'll run fine, probably better than on 'nextgen' consoles.

Intel Core i7 860, I think (on the 860 part). And my GPU is an off-brand GTX 760. Sorry, I'm super casual when it comes to hardware and I find the CPU and GPU markets confusing with their naming conventions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom