• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rezae

I would love to buy Alien Isolation for 14$ but my 4 year old CPU looks like it's finally hitting walls with games it can run. My GPU is alright, a year old, but mobo is as old as my CPU and I need more RAM. I just don't have the money to upgrade right now. A lot of people complained that the previous generation of consoles held games back by sticking around for so long but I kinda liked that I could run pretty much everything for years with minimal hardware upgrades.

It's weird, in the past I've always picked a game I wanted, no, needed to play and would build my rig around that, Battlefiled 1942, Half-Life 2/Doom 3, Crysis. Problem is that game doesn't really exist for me right now.

My CPU is like... 6 years old. AMD Phenom x3 435 I think. Paired with a 270x. 4gb RAM. Alien runs pretty damn good on mine. I think 1080, frame rate between 30-60. Sometimes it's really smooth, sometimes it obviously stutters, but it runs very acceptable.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Q: Will previous DLC carryover from GFWL to Steam?

A: Unfortunately, DLC content purchased directly from Microsoft’s GFWL Marketplace store will not carry over to Steam due to the lack of CD/activation key. Those who wish to play the game with their DLC can continue to do so with the GFWL version of the game installation and under the GFWL service.

translation: go fuck yourselves, give us money!

oh Capcpom, never change ....

Jawmuncher

You can increase FOV? That should help. I've started using dodge rolls, slides, etc. Fun in close-quarters areas, but when the games goes full on Gears/COD, it's easier to hang back and shoot at the expense of ammo. Or not, I don't claim to be good at these things.

(Playing on Veteran btw)

Even on veteran it's sometimes better to just run past. Though the gun enemies can be a pain in certain situations. One of the reasons I think most people don't like Chris campaign since his is nothing but that really. If you're adamant about shooting guys just make sure you're setting up the right skills so that they drop all kinds of ammo for you.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
despite what ignorant ppl may think shock therapy makes things worse

i've been subjected to "shock therapy" for half of my life and the only thing it's done is making me incapable of ever really trusting people

Nothing helps alleviate arachnophobia like a towel-full of baby spiders... which actually happened to a GAFer. This country is so great.

Edit: Sorry, fixed my link so you're taken to the individual post and don't unintentionally see the, well, spiders.

derExperte

Grim Legends 2: Song of the Dark Swan

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/279800/

Usually the card prices are high for a few days after release, hidden objects fans will get their money's worth.

Intel Core i7 860, I think (on the 860 part). And my GPU is an off-brand GTX 760. Sorry, I'm super casual when it comes to hardware and I find the CPU and GPU markets confusing with their naming conventions.

Yeah, buy Alien now. Just make sure your graphics driver is up to date and that's it.

People dissing the stand-up comedy bundle? Smh.

It's shameful. I'm making a shitlist as we speak.

Alright, alright, consider my rubber arm twisted. I'll grab Alien Isolation.

translation: go fuck yourselves, give us money!

oh Capcpom, never change ....

You know what Capcom could have done to engender some goodwill, given the DLC away for free to all current owners of RE5 on the changeover from GFWL to Steamworks. It's what 2K did with Bioshock 2 and Minerva's Den.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I'm pretty sure this was a copy and paste job. There wasn't any DLC for RE5 on GFWL. Thus why we didn't get it until now.

oh, I know that ... but it just shows how much of a fuck they're giving about that whole thing ;)

Intel Core i7 860, I think (on the 860 part). And my GPU is an off-brand GTX 760. Sorry, I'm super casual when it comes to hardware and I find the CPU and GPU markets confusing with their naming conventions.

It will run without any issues, a friend of mine has that same CPU and a worse card, yet Isolation ran perfectly.

liezryou

The graphics are hard for me to swallow in PoE for me. I never played the "prequels" so i don't have that nostalgia factor, i prefer something more like divinity.

zkylon

zkylewd
i just hope they add mod tools of some sort quick enough

or people manage to mod spiders out despite of the lack of mod tools

madjoki

You know what Capcom could have done to engender some goodwill, given the DLC away for free to all current owners of RE5 on the changeover from GFWL to Steamworks. It's what 2K did with Bioshock 2 and Minerva's Den.

The DLC was never available on PC, unlike Minerva's Den. So you couldn't have bought it.

JaseC

The DLC was never available on PC, unlike Minerva's Den. So you couldn't have bought it.

Yep. Those expecting free DLC are in for disappointment. I'm sure people are already arguing that since they own it on the PS360 they're entitled to it on the PC despite its nonavailability.

Jawmuncher

Yep. Those expecting free DLC are in for disappointment. I'm sure people are already arguing that since they own it on the PS360 they're entitled to it on the PC despite its nonavailability.

Nah most of those guys got over it after the first thread. Now it's more confusion that there isn't some Kind of discount on the DLC for original owners. Just as some sort of loyalty thing. Since the bundle itself for new owners is discounted.

Dr Dogg covered it
Here's the only little quibble I have. So vanilla is £4.76 at the moment while the Gold Ed is £16.09 which if you subtract the current vanilla game price off of that you get £11.39 which is less than the £11.99 Capcom want for the Gold Ed DLC for existing customers. So the best 'deal' is for new folks. Suppose I'm used to it by now changing all my utilities and bank accounts to get better prices, rates & deals as introductory offers.

Dr Dogg

Here's a funny story. When I got Mass Effect 2 on PC from one dirt cheap Steam sale or another I pretty much owned all the DLC on 360. Now sure I could have bought all of it again but nice tucked in the description on Microsoft's store on the 360 and their website very losely stated buy this item and get it for 360 and PC. Now of course I knew they meant 360 or PC but that didn't stop me having an attempt of bending EA supports arm seeing as they could see my BioWare social account and owning it all on 360. Didn't get everything but was credited with 3 of the 4 campaign DLC's and one of the useless weapon packs. Might have been the nicest thing EA have done for me.

JaseC

Nah most of those guys got over it after the first thread. Now it's more confusion that there isn't some Kind of discount on the DLC for original owners. Just as some sort of loyalty thing. Since the bundle itself for new owners is discounted.

The community at broad, not just GAF. The issue isn't that, say, 2K set a precedent; it's that some are too dim-witted to understand the difference between that situation and RE5.

JaseC

Here's a funny story. When I got Mass Effect 2 on PC from one dirty cheap Steam sale or another I pretty much owned all the DLC on 360. Now sure I could have bought all of it again but nice tucked in the description on Microsoft's store on the 360 and their website very losely stated buy this item for 360 and PC. Now of course I knew they meant 360 or PC but that didn't stop me having an attempt of bending EA supports arm seeing as they could see my BioWare social account and owning it all on 360. Didn't get everything but was credited with 3 of the 4 campaign DLC's and one of the useless weapon packs. Might have been the nicest thing EA have done for me.

EA Support is going to have a lot of fun with me once the other shoe finally drops and the company's Origin catalogue is brought over to Steam. I'll not rest until my Origin copy of Crysis 2 vanilla spits out a Steam key for the very same game!

(I actually asked GAF's Crytek rep about the possibility of receiving a key, but as expected his hands are tied since although Crytek owns the games, it's EA that has publishing rights in the here and now.)

Dr Dogg

EA Support is going to have a lot of fun with me once the other shoe finally drops and the company's Origin catalogue is brought over to Steam. I'll not rest until my Origin copy of Crysis 2 vanilla spits out a Steam key for the very same game!

(I actually asked GAF's Crytek rep about the possibility of receiving a key, but as expected his hands are tied since although Crytek owns the games, it's EA that has publishing rights in the here and now.)

Well I was half expecting them to tell me 'No you cheapskate on your bike! You'll buy our DLC twice and like it' but it was a pretty civilized back and forth for 30 mins and when the rep went and spoke to their supervisor and came back with an offer for some of it I bit their arm off.

Crysis and Warhead is the only games they wouldn't add to my Origin account no matter how I tried. Origin didn't like the keys, the web redemption said they were in use and support pretty said I'd have to buy it again or speak to Crytek who passed me straight back to EA. I don't think I'll back too easily when Dead Space 3, Mass Effect 3 and my Battlefield haul is ready to make the move to Steam though (well some day).

Jawmuncher

There still being no GOTY collection for all of the ME games and DLC just kills me. Especially with ME2s damn bioware point nonsense.

Amzin

I really like VC (30 hours over past few weeks on it) but the battle ranking system is dumb. It punishes you for playing the game with most normal strategies.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
"CheesecakeRecipe claimed your Pillars of Eternity key"

Yay!!

I just got back to my desk and saw the orange PM notification. Thank you! :D

Guys, Spirits of Xanadu's out, and it's made by a Gaffer.

It's inspired by System Shock 2.

Only 5 people playing at the moment. Launching at $15 on a game heavy day, especially the day PoE hits, might not have been the best move. Hope people give it a look ;-;

zkylon

zkylewd
I really like VC (30 hours over past few weeks on it) but the battle ranking system is dumb. It punishes you for playing the game with most normal strategies.
yeah

but u know, just enjoy the game and forget about the rank and you'll be fine

Turfster

Irrational games has their own store?
Anyway, they've got BioInf 75% off for its 2 year anniversary sale

Bundlestars has a bundle with Return to Mysterious Island 1&2, Still Life 1&2&Postmortem and Syberia 1&2 for 2.51€

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom