• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

lately i've been getting weird visual artifacts when playing games, i'm afraid my graphics card might be dying

fuck

im getting at least 1 BSOD per day so im sure either my gpu or cpu overclock is fucking up but im lazy

also BSODs are basically preventing your stuff from really fucking up anyway.. right...

zkylon

zkylewd
im getting at least 1 BSOD per day so im sure either my gpu or cpu overclock is fucking up but im lazy

also BSODs are basically preventing your stuff from really fucking up anyway.. right...

i've never overclocked anything. too scary

u should, you know, stop

Perun

I missed the -70% promo on Banished and it's the first time I've seen it this low, goddammit. Does it go any lower?

#cheaparsegaffer

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
i've never overclocked anything. too scary

u should, you know, stop
Slight OC'ing is easy for CPU. Just bump up the multiplier a little at a time and benchmark. If it BSODs, turn it down a little. Its nerve wracking initially, but you should get comfortable with it fairly quickly.
I'm too wimpy to mess with voltage for a higher OC. Slight clocking should be fine.

Kiru

lol
http://steamcommunity.com//app/730/discussions/0/617329505857304440/
exshnv.png

KarmaCow

I really don't understand what the people at Overkill (Payday 2 devs) are thinking their announcements and marketing plans.

First they've been having this event where people can buy DLC to fill a counter that will unlock free DLC to be released in a couple weeks. So basically F2P style crowd funding where the dedicated pay for everyone else in the community. One of the goals was a weapon mod pack and that was reached a while ago. It has yet to be released but it was said to be free. Overkill decided that it would be a good idea to now release a separate paid weapon mod pack with the same name and imagery, not considering that hey, that might be confusing to people. Baffling.

Then there is the Completely Overkill pack. It's one of the pieces of the DLC you can buy to fill the counter is limited time $20 pack that contains 4 exclusive masks and a secret exclusive yet to be announce item. For reference, Overkill has released several DLC packs that contains weapons along with 4 masks and customization materials masks at $5 a pop. Still kinda pricey for what it contains but I usually wait on sales so this $20 pack is pretty much just to fill the counter. Now they just announced that the pack is now also only in limited quantities and the secret item will actually be 25 items, but each person will only get 1 of those items. And that item will be chosen randomly from the pool of 25 items for each person. And they have yet to say what those items are or even have any plans to say what they will be before the last chance to buy it.

I don't get the mindset behind this, especially after they received so much backlash from the community about fumbling their Walking Dead game announcement.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

For months I assumed my seemingly random BSODs were due to my SSD and later, after it died, either the SATA cable I was using or the SATA port itself. Eventually I figured I'd check my CPU's load temps and saw that at 4.6GHz almost all of the cores would gradually rise to 100°, haha. Since replacing my NH-D14 with a Maelstrom 240 kit (which was a huge pain in the arse to install with just one pair of hands) I haven't had a single crash.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Evil Within for $20. Worth it?

Try the demo and decide for yourself. Demo is the first three chapters (of 15) in the game, and it makes a save file so if you buy it, you can continue from where you finished in the demo with all you had. Know the chapters start getting longer and the game changes tones a few times through its course.

derExperte

Sherlock Holmes: Crime and Punishment is a PS3 PS+ game for March.

That's one less game on my steam wishlist :D

I don't know if can deal with playing something on PS3 anymore when there's a better option even I have to pay additional money.

....found some comments on the quality of the port. Yeah, no thanks, even the PS4 version is subpar, PS3 seems to be really bad.

Only Olliolli2 for me then (shouldn't have bought Oddworld on Steam day 1).

Khronico

I don't know if can deal with playing something on PS3 anymore when there's a better option even I have to pay additional money.

Found some comments on the quality of the port. Yeah, no thanks, even the PS4 version is subpar, PS3 seems to be really bad.

I rented it a while back and didn't have any major issues aside from framerate which REALLY chugged in spots. Overall it was perfectly playable IMO, although not the ideal version.

Then there is the Completely Overkill pack. It's one of the pieces of the DLC you can buy to fill the counter is limited time $20 pack that contains 4 exclusive masks and a secret exclusive yet to be announce item. For reference, Overkill has released several DLC packs that contains weapons along with 4 masks and customization materials masks at $5 a pop. Still kinda pricey for what it contains but I usually wait on sales so this $20 pack is pretty much just to fill the counter. Now they just announced that the pack is now also only in limited quantities and the secret item will actually be 25 items, but each person will only get 1 of those items. And that item will be chosen randomly from the pool of 25 items for each person. And they have yet to say what those items are or even have any plans to say what they will be before the last chance to buy it.

I don't get the mindset behind this,

The Completely Overkill pack is currently in the top 10 sellers on Steam. You don't get the mindset behind it? The mindset is "cha-ching!"

Salsa

For months I assumed my seemingly random BSODs were due to my SSD and later, after it died, either the SATA cable I was using or the SATA port itself. Eventually I figured I'd check my CPU's load temps and saw that at 4.6GHz almost all of the cores would gradually rise to 100°, haha. Since replacing my NH-D14 with a Maelstrom 240 kit (which was a huge pain in the arse to install with just one pair of hands) I haven't had a single crash.

cpu is at 4.5ghz but temps seem fine. Now that you mention it it might be a hard drive since it does look super random, as in, sometimes I get a BSOD when playing a graphic intensive game and other times while watching Netflix

gpu temps seem fine too and either way it would have to reach something like 100c to crash afaik and that seems impossible while watching video

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I really don't understand what the people at Overkill (Payday 2 devs) are thinking their announcements and marketing plans.

First they've been having this event where people can buy DLC to fill a counter that will unlock free DLC to be released in a couple weeks. So basically F2P style crowd funding where the dedicated pay for everyone else in the community. One of the goals was a weapon mod pack and that was reached a while ago. It has yet to be released but it was said to be free. Overkill decided that it would be a good idea to now release a separate paid weapon mod pack with the same name and imagery, not considering that hey, that might be confusing to people. Baffling.

I don't get the mindset behind this, especially after they received so much backlash from the community about fumbling their Walking Dead game announcement.

I've not been liking the direction they've taken since Goldfarb stepped down and Almir took over. I thought after the negative reactions they got for their splitting up of the DLC even more, they'd retract and rethink the strategy. I didn't expect they would double and triple-down on the cash grabby nonsense, or introduce even more randomization into the game. Paying $20 for a chance at only 1 of 25 items in a game where one of its largest criticisms is the way it leans on randomly dishing things out to you is just stupid.

I miss the old Payday 2 way. :(

Kiru

cpu is at 4.5ghz but temps seem fine. Now that you mention it it might be a hard drive since it does look super random, as in, sometimes I get a BSOD when playing a graphic intensive game and other times while watching Netflix

gpu temps seem fine too and either way it would have to reach something like 100c to crash afaik and that seems impossible while watching video
Why not install BSOD Viewer and google the error message ?

Knurek

Umm, what?

This game is a port of the Games for Windows - Live version that was released in 2009. If you buy the Untold Stories Bundle here on Steam, it will be the same as upgrading to Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition.

I've not been liking the direction they've taken since Goldfarb stepped down and Almir took over. I thought after the negative reactions they got for their splitting up of the DLC even more, they'd retract and rethink the strategy. I didn't expect they would double and triple-down on the cash grabby nonsense, or introduce even more randomization into the game. Paying $20 for a chance at only 1 of 25 items in a game where one of its largest criticisms is the way it leans on randomly dishing things out to you is just stupid.

I miss the old Payday 2 way. :(

I agree, they've went too far into the cash grabby side of things, their releasing so much stuff so quickly that it just confuses people and comes off as kind of scummy. Theres what, 3 or 4 packs that have come out in the last couple months and at least 2 I can think of in the pipeline to be released soon.

Salsa

well shit nevermind. I ran Prime95 which I havent done in a while and the BSOD would come up after like 2 minutes of stress-test

I downclocked from 4.5ghz to 4.4ghz and it's been 15 minutes of stress and so far so good

really odd since the cores barely reached 70c so I guess temp isnt the issue?

also when I first OCd Prime95 ran overnight just fine. Guess I ran the cpu down

oh well, guess not much of a loss from 4.5 to 4.4

15 minutes = reaching 80c now

Salsa

I wouldn't be comfortable with that after such a short amount of time.

well there's a couple things to have in mind. the blend test kinda tops temperature-wise (as in, its not going about 80°c for a while now after it reached that) and while it's a good test to be on the safe side, no game is really gonna push your CPU as hard as the test does

that said, I'll tone it down to 4.3 just to be on the safer side

im guessing my issue is not temperature but voltage or something since with my MOBO I can only overclock through turbo boost and there's no way to control the voltage manually

Kiru

well shit nevermind. I ran Prime95 which I havent done in a while and the BSOD would come up after like 2 minutes of stress-test

I downclocked from 4.5ghz to 4.4ghz and it's been 15 minutes of stress and so far so good

Temperature is not the only limit when overclocking.
I wouldn't be comfortable with that after such a short amount of time.
Prime95 is not really comparable to normal gaming though.

MadGear

You really should look at the error code you get with your BSOD but yeah, it shouldn't be temperature related at just 80°C. I would guess that there is an issue with your voltage settings. My 4770k is a very poor overclocker and it was a pain to get that thing stable at just 4.2. Prime95 ran fine with my voltage settings but i got frequent BSODs in CSGO. To solve my issue i had to test different Vcore settings with different LLC settings.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

I uninstalled Payday two days ago. I've had it on my PC for awhile now but just got sick of this approach. I'm done.

Salsa

yeah, im super confused at the DLC approach for PayDay 2 but I think they've been fair and pretty generous on it

my take is that you just have to be hella invested in the lore and whole game in general to care/reap the benefits and im just not

it's still a cool game tho and probably the best OST of the year. im reinstalling it right now just for giggles

zkylon

zkylewd
whelp, my computer is dead then.

i'm 99% sure i have to change my videocard since i tried my monitor on a different computer and it works just fine and i get bsod on windows unless i start it up on safe mode

this year just hasn't been kind to me as far as computer hardware is concerned :I

any cheap videocard recommendations?

sigh...

Slight OC'ing is easy for CPU. Just bump up the multiplier a little at a time and benchmark. If it BSODs, turn it down a little. Its nerve wracking initially, but you should get comfortable with it fairly quickly.
I'm too wimpy to mess with voltage for a higher OC. Slight clocking should be fine.
nah, i don't care enough to want to put me through that

yeah, im super confused at the DLC approach for PayDay 2 but I think they've been fair and pretty generous on it

my take is that you just have to be hella invested in the lore and whole game in general to care/reap the benefits and im just not

it's still a cool game tho and probably the best OST of the year. im reinstalling it right now just for giggles

i don't know if 'generous' is something I want with DLC.

That being said...I still pick most of it up when it hits 75% off and I haven't played in forever.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

I'm cool with the DLC for the simple reason only one person needs to own the DLC heists (the lobby host) to be able to play with friends. That's a nice thing to have and do.

Salsa

nah, i don't care enough to want to put me through that

I guess I never had hardware malfunction so im biased but OCing is specially great for us latin america inflated prices suckers

I mean being able to go from factory 3.3ghz to 4.5ghz has made the 2500k purchase last a lot longer in terms of relevancy

same with OCing just +135mhz of my 680

sucks about your card :( <3 but further proves that shit happens regardless of you tinkering with it

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
whelp, my computer is dead then.

i'm 99% sure i have to change my videocard since i tried my monitor on a different computer and it works just fine and i get bsod on windows unless i start it up on safe month

this year just hasn't been kind to me as far as computer hardware is concerned :I

sigh...

zky-zky :c

Ruruja

Quite a broad question. I usually buy mid to high range cards because I'm poor and I just recently bought an R9 280 for £135. I was considering a 750 Ti which seemed a decent little card and that was only around £100.

Salsa

im just hoping The Witcher 3 runs fine since I pre-ordered ages ago and since then i've been pretty sure that im a point in life where im gonna really tone it down hardware-wise. Just cant keep affording to update till im in a better, more free-ing place financially. Just dont see myself buying a new card any time soon, and buying a new processor would mean new mobo, etc

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm eyeing a radeon r7 260x

i never used ati video cards but it's 250usd which is about as much as i can afford and looks maybe like an upgrade from my 560 gtx?

oipic

The spirit of MRORANGE is strong in this thread - thanks for keeping things on the air, Bosstones, you're a gentleman.

Hope you're doing okay out there, Mr O.

With this thread open, it's now officially Pillars of Eternity month! I'm excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom