• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What's an FP Estus flask?

something the spoiler police will beat your head in with a bat for mentioning

it refills the new "mana" bar, its back to mana like Demons Souls instead of numbered charges for spells. The mana bar is also used for new specila melee attacks. You have a new FP Estus flask to refill it, but you need to choose if you have normal health estus charges or FP estus charges

Hopefully Rare Replay will come to PC and then I can sell my Xbox without hesitation. For all the problems with the Windows Store, it has to be better than playing those games on an Xbox One, right?

Why does anyone want Rare Replay? I mean we are on PC and people still might have the N64 and could play the game on emulators in 4k, couldnt they?

zkylon

zkylewd
You mean that wasn't the World Wide Web? Mistakes were made.
-__-

Have you considered steps to try to minimize your arachnophobia?

Like exposure that you work on weekly, gradually working from what gives you the least amount of anxiety with spiders to the higher things (like handling one, I'm guessing.)
it's not easy without like professional treatement with like a psychiatrist or whatever and if i did therapy i'd probably work on other stuff rather than this since it's not really a big problem in my life outside of videogames

Spiders in a horror game.

No way!
it's not a horror game, not that it matters

I was joking actually, referring to the GAF controversy surrounding the price around release date. A lot of people seemed to think it was too expensive for a game like this (I don't really get why it supposedly deserves a lower price though; sounds absurd to me).

But I'm glad you enjoyed it!
ahh ok. i don't like to think too much on whether a game's worth the asking price cos that's super subjective and not very useful imo. i prefer to think if a game's worth my time, which is also subjective but something i'm more comfortable thinking about

There are technically spiders in Undertale, I think... :p
yeah, was my least favorite part of the game, probably

but they're not gross spiders and have some fun music and tea and bake sales so i'm cool with them

Speaking of, how great is it that -- like Disgaea -- apparently the game has problems with the client Beta? The game won't even launch if you're in the Steam Beta Client now.

Also, Undertale related -- is having been a pacifist during the ruins, now that I've hit the title card, am I going to find the game difficult since I've gotten 0 xp?
i didn't find the pacifist run difficult, tho a few boss fights took me multiple tries

strafer

All truth.
qXQD7BM.png

I forgot Alex worked at Harmonix for a while.

Grief.exe

Why does anyone want Rare Replay? I mean we are on PC and people still might have the N64 and could play the game on emulators in 4k, couldnt they?

People will pay for convenience has been proven again and again.

They also professionally update the huds, menus, and other 2D elements which don't scale well with high resolution emulation.

Eila

Yeah. Another butchered eroge released on Steam. >_>

Edit: Seems it's a port of the PSP version.

Lol I would be amazed if they "ported" the PSP version when they already have a PC release.
Just take out the h-scenes and there's your PSP port. Oh and machine TL the game and bam, ready to be on steam.
Not like this...

MUnited83

For you.

Getting all the legal copies of all those games seems like it would be a mess, and expensive. A neat little package of them all for 30$ sounds pretty damn good.

Hektor

Rare Replay is a bit more than just emulation, it adds metagame components, exclusive developer interviews, Making of videos and informational videos about all videogames that were cancelled in development.

Eila

It's got a bunch of 360 games. Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie are the Live Arcade releases rather than the original.

Just Demonicon

Or Fire Emblem?

Oh. Didnt know that. Thanks for clarifying that.

Come on, do you really think it'd be well received if it was just a straight up ROM dump? :)

I'm sure they did some work on getting them to look the best they could on a modern platform, added achievements and all the other bells and whistles that would come with an X1 game.

Besides, if you want to play a bunch of the games you missed out on or might be hard to acquire legally, this is the easiest way to do so. Also, even if you have legal clearance to acquire ROMs for games that you bought previously, finding a working ROM on a working emulator is still risky proposition. Sometimes emulation can't handle or reproduce certain effects correctly and such too, so one would hope the Rare Replay collection (or anything like it) does everything right so you get as close to the original experience as possible.

something the spoiler police will beat your head in with a bat for mentioning

Did my best to erase and not read whatever you typed. Saw something about "refills". Getting my tire iron ready and looking for AHA-Lambda's address.

Oh no did they censor my daughter's tits?

What in the Seven Hells?

I didn't know dark souls 3 was having a magic bat like demons souls.

Not sure what it means, but congrats, I'm out. Maybe I'll come back in 6 weeks. Peace.

we cant do it we cant do it we cant do it we cant do it

now please save our company we did it!

naw, hmx can go fuck themselves on this. You put all your eggs in the console basket and never gave PC gamers a shot and now that you're nearing your timely death you come bearing this nonsense and begging us to bail you out

super annoyed by this obviously

Not free on EU.

yeah, i think i read that it's free in NA because we already got Super Stardust HD from the PSN hack a few years ago.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How come game developers seem to be all fucking off to FIG?

Harmonix's founder is on the board of directors. Fig's owner is DoubleFine's former CFO and Schafer is on the board of directors. Obsidian is also represented on the board of directors and will be funding something on Fig.

For people who don't have a stake, it's presumably the lower upfront cost (Fig appears to have dropped its initial 5% upfront cost in favour of a post-release revenue share model) and the ability to connect with Venture Capital.

Of course those factors are weighed against the fact that Fig has no built-in audience so you basically need to self-start all the attention you attract.

Seems like a bad move to me for adverse selection reasons: if your project seems deserving of VC money then you could probably get it without Fig. Especially if you're a company with past VC connections. So if you're coming to Fig, it's presumably because you couldn't secure VC without a middleman. Which in turn discourages further VC because "what am I not seeing that the other guys are being scared off by?"

Corpekata

Banned
If you couldn't tell, the game is about being a Father Figure to a young anime lady and watching her become a busty anime lady. At least that's what the broken english description implies.

Someone complained about their butchering an eroge, which I took to mean the game is censored, and I took it to the natural conclusion that the daughter character is the one that got censored.

I looked at the Greenlight and there were indeed people complaining that it was censored and they needed to allow a fanpatch to get the lewdness back in.

I was being sarcastic, because I can't imagine anyone being upset about a game where you play a father figure having its' lewd content cut.

Grief.exe

If you couldn't tell, the game is about being a Father Figure to a young anime lady and watching her become a busty anime lady. At least that's what the broken english description implies.

Someone complained about their butchering an eroge, which I took to mean the game is censored, and I took it to the natural conclusion that the daughter character is the one that got censored.

I looked at the Greenlight and there were indeed people complaining that it was censored and they needed to allow a fanpatch to get the lewdness back in.

I was being sarcastic, because I can't imagine anyone being upset about a game where you play a father figure having its' lewd content cut.

No, no, no

You got the wrong impression. It's his step daughter, so it's okay.

Tenrius

ahh ok. i don't like to think too much on whether a game's worth the asking price cos that's super subjective and not very useful imo. i prefer to think if a game's worth my time, which is also subjective but something i'm more comfortable thinking about

Yeah, I agree! That's why I thought it was strange that so many people had something against the price.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I'm getting depressed about stuff like Vive/Rift exclusivity, and Windows 10 exclusivity.

It's gonna bum me out in 2020 when I won't be able to play a game on Windows 11 with my Asus VR headset because Elder Scrolls VI was Win 10 Rift exclusive.

We're gonna have to keep hard drives with compatible operating systems on them lying around.

The VR thing is so stupid. It's like a game declaring itself "G-Sync exclusive," or "144Hz exclusive," or "16:10" exclusive.

Can't play it on your 16:9 monitor, guys!

I'm just surprised that we're moving to this locked down environment when Carmack and Gaben are supposed to be at the forefront of these technologies. It's like Carmack forgot the years he spend battling for OpenGL to break MicroSoft's and 3DFX's attempts at fracturing the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom