• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you say that it was... gross?

9/10 it's mud or shit, so yeah it would be gross as hell.

Zkylon dodged a giant bullet this time, but dear god man, that post is still blowing my mind.

Did Zkylon use chocolate syrup and accidently get some on his big toe and not notice until they looked down and saw this brown sauce on their toe?

Of all STEAM GAF posts to blow my mind, that's the one that leaves me speechless.

I guess he didn't see or feel any grittiness on their big toe until they noticed and even when he did notice it, he saw no grittiness or smelled no foul ordour of crap.

Steam GAF worries me at times.

Balthuk

The Witcher 2 is amazing.

I want to play through this game so bad but everytime I quit it for some time, I think I've forgotten everything about it and get scared to get back into it.
Plus mid-act2 (which is as far as I have gone) I got a bit lost tracking quests, camps, storylines etc.

Parsnip

Giving reviewers a simplified version just to bump the difficulty in the retail version is plain stupid, at this point just create two difficulty settings and go with it. If you want a good review (aka, if you want to sell ton of copies) make a good, polished game. Providing two version of the same game (and one of them being easier) is just a scam to me. It's like playing Binding of Isaac with infinite health and make a review, the review can't truly paint the game as it is.

The easier build was for previews where they had 3 hours to play. It was for the event bamco had late February.
It's not a review build.

Mivey

I want to play through this game so bad but everytime I quit it for some time, I think I've forgotten everything about it and get scared to get back into it.
Plus mid-act2 (which is as far as I have gone) I got a bit lost tracking quests, camps, storylines etc.
You could pretend you are playing Memento: The Game and don't try to let anyone know that you don't have a long term memory.

Durante

In terms of difficulty I don't feel like there is a big difference between DS3 and 2 or 1. Maybe the first normal enemies hit a bit less hard. But the bosses I've fought so far certainly aren't easier.

Drakhyrr

The story in The Witcher 2 is very, very dense. Much more so than TW3, for example. I recommend that you don't play any other games along with it, if you were not doing that already.

Happy Easter!
ModBot said:
Instructions for INDIGO_CYCLOPS:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (INDIGO_CYCLOPS, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Quantum Conundrum -- MB-A24F48A1CB6896B8 - Taken by UnderWaterTree
Final Fantasy XIII-2 -- MB-80F8FE5B21F5C45C - Taken by rainking187
Final Fantasy VIII -- MB-42B0C2B9B039DB99 - Taken by Endruen

Balthuk

The story in The Witcher 2 is very, very dense. Much more so than TW3, for example. I recommend that you don't play any other games along with it, if you were not doing that already.

Yeah I think I'll wrap up Shadowrun Dragonfall which is great so far and I guess I'm at the mid-point(?) with some other games and then tackle the witcher on its own.

Just beat Samorost 2 which I won from a giveaway from hardcastlemccormick. Short and cute point-and-click, with no really obtuse puzzles. Amanita games have a lot of charm and character to them.
Also making my way through Binary Domain. This game has so many things that all differ in how successful they are. But I'm enjoying it quite a lot, happy to blast off robots' heads for a while. I'll write some things on it when I'm done, I guess.

This is why I've never fully gotten into Witcher 2 (well aside from my PC not running it as well as I would like). It requires a lot of attention and I've always struggled to care about details in a fantasy game.

Finished DreadOut Keepers of the Dark.

Game has little to no story, and it takes place in a hub-like main area from where you can access eight different locations with the purpose of hunting down a ghost (albeit each location usually has two of them). After doing so you'll be teleported back to the hub to repeat the process until you can open the final door (which will unlock at 8 ghosts defeated) and fight the last boss.

Altough a bunch of them are new, most of these areas are taken from the main game or even the demo, though they feature some new elements related to the new ghosts.
In addition, some spirits won't appear immediately until you met certain conditions, like collecting a number of items which may be located in different areas of the game, meaning that a bit of backtracking is required at times.

Combat is exactly the same as the main game, a very simplified version of Fatal Frame. No limited films, no leveling system, no special powers or anything of that kind. It's just your phone, which includes a flashlight, and an actual camera with zooming capabilities and a flash function for a short but powerful gleam of light (which will not actually damage enemies). Basically a weapon to fight in the dark and one to fight at long range.

And like the main game, that's the general vibe of KotD: a low budget, unpolished and simplified version of Fatal Frame/Project Zero with some interesting ideas and moments. One of my favorites is in the school area, where you have to take a photo of a ghost possessing a specific statue among a large number of them. Doing so will force the spirit to run into another statue in a different part of the level, but this will also cause the previous statue to follow you around when it's out of the camera's view. You'll hear the sounds of the statue moving behind you, you'll turn around and see it in a different position, getting closer and closer to you. It's a nice and creepy idea, which actually made me smile instead of frighten me. But in a good way, if that make sense.

cMvTvtv.jpg
DQBsInc.jpg

Ia6uuT0.jpg
8CBVoD6.jpg

dex3108

Because I decided to put RotTR and Witcher 3 on hold until I get better hardware and because I needed some break from Bloodborne I decided to play game from my backlog. So after 4 years since PC release I finally finished Alan Wake (and DLCs). I think that I started playing that game at least two times before and never finished it.

Six years since original release Alan Wake still has amazing atmosphere, good characters and interesting story. I really enjoyed playing this game. But game has few issues that I hope that will fix in Alan Wake 2. It is mostly related to gameplay that became tedious by the end of the game. Most enemies you encounter in first or second episode and after that you are using same tactic and do same fights until the end.

Second thing I didn't like are collectables. They are mostly pointless (except manuscripts) and beside achievement there is no initiative to go and collect them. Not to mention that sometimes you just want to move from combat area and you don't want to explore it because there are tons of enemies.

All in all Alan Wake is still really good game. I am sure that we will get Alan Wake 2 and I even want that Remedy do it like real episodic game :D

Tizoc

Here's a nice giveaway for ya ;3
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Goosebumps the game -- MB-79C6C5FF8377991E - Taken by alr1ght. 5 entrants total.
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger -- MB-F4CD620603B70680 - Taken by Chairmanchuck. 15 entrants total.

t1459108334z1.png

ModBot said:
I am giving away 18 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (SockyJohnson, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Overlord -- MB-EDD1A933B62ECD82 - Taken by jorkila
Wizardry 8 -- MB-CC9FBD55E8DFD4DC - Taken by Bufbaf
Etherlords I & II -- MB-9CD3E0B1828CC2D7 - Taken by Loptous
Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 -- MB-18CBC173EDFE822F - Taken by Kuroyume
Bastion -- MB-DEBA11518FC5AB2D - Taken by Barajas_201
Neverending Nightmares -- MB-32E6542F4ECC2B5B - Taken by pinkurocket
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition -- MB-F8AC39AD45527B07 - Taken by Kifimbo
System Shock 2 -- MB-A0239B8BB9F1C7B3 - Taken by Majukun
NAM -- MB-A1DC49A380DE8076 - Taken by Coldsun
FATE: Undiscovered Realms -- MB-C6B3917E40F6422E - Taken by nightstorm
Euclidean -- MB-5B404ADAB2537DED - Taken by SSPssp
Dino D-Day -- MB-1E524F41E96C50BA - Taken by Magnegro42
Dead Effect -- MB-A31D89894029E123 - Taken by bloke
Zeno Clash -- MB-DF2781E8BD24F09C - Taken by SailorCosmos
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Revised Edition -- MB-27F55A8AC52165D9 - Taken by Vuze
Super 3-D Noah's Ark -- MB-E1AF7511069D3727 - Taken by Costa1774
Rune Classic -- MB-E66E2E7AC67489B0 - Taken by NingenJanai
xheRJRF.gif
POSTAL 2 -- MB-633CDEBF301E0305 - Taken by RelentlessRolento

Drakhyrr

I just finished F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin, along with it's Reborn DLC.

Overall, I thought it wasn't that far from F.E.A.R. 1. The problem is, it carries most of it's flaws, the story is worse (most of the game is actually just filler) and the gameplay, while still good, took a step backwards.

First, the environments. Everything outdoors is brown and gray and dusty, and everything indoors is more or less as dark as Doom 3. It was supposed to feel claustrophobic and oppressive, but it all just felt bland and boring.

As for the gameplay, why did they have to mess up the godlike gunplay of the first game? It's not that it's bad, but it can't live up to the first, which is a shame because they knew how to do it. I also missed being able to lean around corners. Consolization, I suppose. The game felt so much like a poorer version of the first that I actually think the mech sections were the best part. Perhaps too easy, but fun, and the feeling of the mech guns was just lovely. This is where they got it right.

Now I'm so not looking forward to playing the third game. I will just let it sit in my backlog for a long while.

Hey guys, sorry if this is offtopic but I cant find a dedicated 3ds thread and everybody here is more or less cool with me:

So my 3ds wont let me scroll on the home menu? It stays at its left-most center (default) position and when I try to scroll right it just reorients itself back there. So for instace, I try to go to Earthbound which is more to the right and it wont let me scroll over. It starts to scroll and just reorients itself I tried googling but couldnt seem to find anything on this.

:(

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Karspankey, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Karspankey, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition -- MB-CC1A0E9AC4A91DB0 - Taken by KPJZKC. 24 entrants total.

t1459103376z1.png

Corpekata

Banned
That still has the same problem as giving an easier build for reviews. There's no point distributing that build if it is known that the final game will be/is harder. It's not an accurate preview or review. Souls games are known, primarily, for their difficulty so making it easier so that critics can see more is pointless.

There's a magnitude of difference. Easier = more access to more weapons and spells, which means more playstyles, especially with the added moves in the game. It means getting to see more of the level design (a big criticism of the previous game) and next gen graphics. Difficulty is not the only point of the game, and not all preview events are meant to show off a perfect picture of the game.

There are TONS of points to distributing that sort of build. They wanted press to write about the game. If all the press were stuck on the first boss using a long sword, they wouldn't get a variety of write ups.

tmarg

Hey guys, sorry if this is offtopic but I cant find a dedicated 3ds thread and everybody here is more or less cool with me:

So my 3ds wont let me scroll on the home menu? It stays at its left-most center (default) position and when I try to scroll right it just reorients itself back there. So for instace, I try to go to Earthbound which is more to the right and it wont let me scroll over. It starts to scroll and just reorients itself I tried googling but couldnt seem to find anything on this.

I've never heard of that happening. Are the circle pad and touch screen working correctly? Only thing I can think of is if it's registering inputs telling it to scroll back.

Eila

Sounds like your leftmost part of the touchscreen is permanently pressed. Just tried it on my 3DS and a similar thing happened.
Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on :^)

Red Hood

Banned
Anyone having issues with desktop GAF? Mobile works fine, but desktop keeps redirecting, saying "Invalid Redirect URL (https://www.neogaf.com/forum/profile.php?do=dst"

edit: Seems to be Firefox related, it works normally in Chrome. I'll try updating Firefox but I thought I already had the most recent version.

edit 2: Hm, after logging off on Firefox, logging in on Chrome, then logging off from Chrome again and then log in again on Firefox, it works again. Very strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom