• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/445730/

So a game called Watch paint dry is coming to Steam. Hmmm, April 1st release day...

Finally, Frog Fractions 2 is being released, what a time to be alive.

Zeknurn

guys I'm kind of feeling the urge to pop into an MMO

I mean like a real MMO with a big open world, not a coop mission based game like Warframe or something.

What's good and doesn't have a subscription fee? Should I just reinstall LOTRO and try to remember how to play the damn thing?

SWTOR, WoW, Wildstar and Guild Wars 2 are all worth your time. Pick your poison and say good bye to steamgaf.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
guys I'm kind of feeling the urge to pop into an MMO

I mean like a real MMO with a big open world, not a coop mission based game like Warframe or something.

What's good and doesn't have a subscription fee? Should I just reinstall LOTRO and try to remember how to play the damn thing?

I loved LOTRO, but it's dead now.

Guild Wars 2 is great, as is Elder Scrolls Online but they're buy to play.

The Witcher 1's bogged down in its mechanics, but the storytelling is as good as ever. And it's where Shani came from (IIRC she's not in the books), so it's pretty much required at this point.
Great giveaway. I can't say enough good things about Stardew Valley. Anything less than pure praise is selling it short.

Nillansan

I have the first Witcher and it is soooo clunky, is it okay to skip this entirely?

The Witcher 2 picks up right after the ending of Witcher 1. I loved both entries and I am sure that you will get used to the Euro-jank after a few hours. I wouldn't skip it.

So Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut is a good time. It's not a pretty game, but there's something oddly satisfying about crouch-walking through a level without ever being detected. Also, Adam reminds me of Geralt and that's always a good thing.

Not sure about first-to-third person views though. I'd like it a lot more if it was 100% third-person, Batman Arkham style.

So regarding trading cards. I was under the impression that multi-game idling shouldn't work at all or should work at a diminished drop rate but I find the following:
-Once games pass the mandatory 2 hour mark (
aka fuck you for having the cheek to request a refund
) if I have them all simultaneously idling then put my computer into sleep mode I'll get drops for all of them or nearly all of them when I wake the computer back up.
-I then simultaneously idle 5 of them (I tried doing like 18 and I didn't record time for any :S) and after around 30 minutes Iater I get a 1 new item in inventory message but there are 5 cards. It tends to play out like that if I idle one game too.

After those two drops it becomes unpredictable. I'm guessing these drops occur due to passing some sort of time threshold and so are just a side effect of the 2 hour wait.

Even with these "features" drop rates are still shit compared to the days gone past. If these thing were known about before sorry for spilling the secret sauce...

Is this even legal?

Using peoples likeness like this without permission?
Does this mean that Valve just blindly approve cards? I've heard they do approve them. I guess if you don't have a "I'll Kill you, Gabe" card anything goes.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
man we really take our free online for granted on PC... was thinking about replaying Bloodborne, but my PS+ sub has lapsed so you cant see messages, you cant use summons, anything related to being online, bummer :/

Nillansan

Alan Wake is truly one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a very long time, everything about it is just excellent. I am nearing the end, I wish it wasn't over so soon. Quantum Break being a Windows Store and Xbox One exclusive makes me really sad.

MUnited83

For you.
So regarding trading cards. I was under the impression that multi-game idling shouldn't work at all or should work at a diminished drop rate but I find the following:
-Once games pass the mandatory 2 hour mark (
aka fuck you for having the cheek to request a refund
) if I have them all simultaneously idling then put my computer into sleep mode I'll get drops for all of them or nearly all of them when I wake the computer back up.
-I then simultaneously idle 5 of them (I tried doing like 18 and I didn't record time for any :S) and after around 30 minutes Iater I get a 1 new item in inventory message but there are 5 cards. It tends to play out like that if I idle one game too.

After those two drops it becomes unpredictable. I'm guessing these drops occur due to passing some sort of time threshold and so are just a side effect of the 2 hour wait.

Even with these "features" drop rates are still shit compared to the days gone past. If these thing were known about before sorry for spilling the secret sauce...

Does this mean that Valve just blindly approve cards? I've heard they do approve them. I guess if you don't have a "I'll Kill you, Gabe" card anything goes.

They are supposed to approve the cards manually, yes. I remember a few anime games having delays on their trading cards because their initial versions were rejected by Valve.

dex3108

man we really take our free online for granted on PC... was thinking about replaying Bloodborne, but my PS+ sub has lapsed so you cant see messages, you cant use summons, anything related to being online, bummer :/

I am playing BB offline and to be honest I don't care about online stuff in this game :D I don't even use offline summons and I am doing every boss alone XD But it does sucks for example for Rocket League. Sometimes I want to play few quick matches but I can't.

Mivey

Alan Wake is truly one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a very long time, everything about it is just excellent. I am nearing the end, I wish it wasn't over so soon. Quantum Break being a Windows Store and Xbox One exclusive makes me really sad.
I don't know, I found the combat in Alan Wake felt more and more tidious near the end. It wasn't even that it was hard, not once you memorized where enemies where coming from for certain encounters, but it still felt like busy work to get to the next interesting story event.

I just hope QB can be the first Windows Store game that actually just works. Even if it is completely neutered in terms of options, at least it should run somewhat well, if you are within the recommended specs and use reasonable settings.
One working game, could be all that is needed to remedy the Windows Store.

Lingitiz

Well hey it could have been an XB1 exclusive forever so I'll take what we can get I suppose. The wait for Alan Wake PC was pretty long since they went through an external distributor IIRC.

MattyG

Banned
I just posted this in the XCOM 2 OT but I'm not sure how active that is, so I'll ask SteamGAF too:

Just picked this up, but I'm currently playing EW on my phone. I've never finished a full playthrough of EU/EW and I don't know how long it'll take me (I'm currently in April, just finished the first big story mission with the terror attack. The furthest I've ever gotten is the assault on the big alien base, I think). Should I finish first and then start 2, or should I just start 2 now and play them concurrently, EW when I'm out and 2 when I'm home? I'm guessing there's no essential story beats I'll miss out on if I just jump right into 2 or anything?

Anno

I just posted this in the XCOM 2 OT but I'm not sure how active that is, so I'll ask SteamGAF too:

I'd probably just start right away unless you're really are into XCOM lore for some reason. It's pretty basic
you lose XCOM: EU really, really badly and spend XCOM 2 trying to rise up as a scrappy rebel force.

MattyG

Banned
I'd probably just start right away unless you really, really are into XCOM lore for some reason. It's pretty basic
you lose XCOM: EU really, really badly and spend XCOM 2 trying to rise up as a scrappy rebel force.
Awesome! I'll start 2 tonight and just chip away at EW on my phone when I'm out of the house. Thanks!

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah i'm surprised Dark Souls is still kicking after 3 and a half games.
it's really like 5 games if u count demons and bloodborne (i still dont get why you wouldn't count bloodborne)

dark souls doesn't have a ton of microtransactions and peripherals to buy on top of it, which just feels like the wrong thing to pair a yearly game series with. feels like rock band should've been f2p or something.

idk what the upgrades from game to game where tho, i could never afford one of those cool guitars

ViviOggi

I'm actually enjoying FC Primal, turns out that formula works a lot better when you're playing as an actual neanderthal in a hostile world instead of an imbecile prick with a gun exterminating an island's worth of endangered species to craft ammo pouches

Nillansan

Its a shame that American Nightmare isn't even a quarter as good as Alan Wake.

Really? That's unfortunate, I was planning on playing that next.

I don't know, I found the combat in Alan Wake felt more and more tidious near the end. It wasn't even that it was hard, not once you memorized where enemies where coming from for certain encounters, but it still felt like busy work to get to the next interesting story event.

I am really enjoying the combat system a whole lot, I am playing it on Nightmare difficulty and I think it provides a really tense experience where you really need to pay extra attention to resource management and do perfect dodges in order to survive.

I just hope QB can be the first Windows Store game that actually just works.One working game, could be all that is needed to remedy the Windows Store.

Hah, nice one.

Well hey it could have been an XB1 exclusive forever so I'll take what we can get I suppose.

That is true, I am still on Windows 7 though, partly because of the issues that folks are reporting about Windows 10, but primarily due to a number of games in my back-log that don't seem to work that well on newer operating systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom