• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Apparently, the current XBox Dark Souls III version is the easy mode of the game and will be patched later with day one patch.

Will there be such option for PC later? I'm dead serious.

What?

Aw man, Way of the Samurai 4 just errors out when I launch it.

Time to verify the cache, I guess...

Edit: So it's a PhysX problem. Why even bother.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Summer time switch is the best when you work graveyard shift.
Just like winter time switch is the worst ;_;

The import threads are saying it's the hardest one of them all.

I'm talking about these.
is xbox one easy mode or something ? im watching a streamer and he is getting hit A LOT less than i did on ps4

It's pre-patch so enemies and bosses hit for a lot less. I dunno if there's any other differences.

XBOX players currently have the super easy baby's first souls NG- version though. Unless you're talking about the Japanese Xbox version, but that should have co-op right?

More from the Japanese Store thread.
Proof: https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls3JPN/comments/4c18ux/xbox_one_english_version_is_till_the_press/

Game is literally NG-1 on the Xbox One. Everyone who doesn't want to have easy mode should wait for the patch.

Corpekata

Banned
If you read the OT thread, it's because Xbox is on 1.0 and not supposed to have been released really. PC and PS4 are already on 1.01

1.0 Was easier for press and whatnot to be able to see more of the game in short windows they would often have. So basically the Xbox is currently on a press build.

Reposting.

ModBot said:
Instructions for ramoisdead:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ramoisdead, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Detail Episode 1 - Where the Dead Lie -- MB-EF34F6B91E5735DC - Taken by Zeeman. 2 entrants total.
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger -- MB-CFE6A187AE16CF00 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 8 entrants total.
Divekick -- MB-EAAE26F1BF521DE5 - Taken by Hero Prinny. 3 entrants total.
Frozen Synapse -- MB-90F0B86815486C92 - Taken by Red Hood. 1 entrants total.
Company of Heroes Complete Edition -- MB-660782CD12CFBBC5 - Taken by pislit. 2 entrants total.
Shattered Planet -- MB-E317031D0F5D596A - Taken by OmarYusaf. 6 entrants total.

t1459059252z1.png

Thanks (or blame) to The_Super_Inframan, this guy in a hat got his hands on yet another hidden object game...so here are some impressions for Frankenstein: Master of Death:

The story: Very loosely based on Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. You play a male protagonist who's called by Viktor Frankenstein for some reason or other. I don't think the protagonist had a name, or even a clear profession - maybe he's just Frankenstein's friend? Anyway, they blow their wad with the monster showing up in the first scene. Seriously, developers, horror 101 says you don't reveal what the monster looks like until the third act.

The puzzles: Dead easy. I played on expert mode (or what they call "advanced mode,") threatening that "you will beg for your life!" but the minigames were all uninspired and simple. I think there was only one that was relatively new to me - a puzzle with placing paired clock hands at different intervals - and even that was pretty easy going. The hidden object games were some of the easiest I've ever encountered. I thought I'd have a tough time getting the achievement of "find 5 objects in 5 seconds" when you're only allowed to look for four objects at a time, but I got it done in the first scene because it's just that easy. The inventory puzzles were okay, still easier than average, and some eventually cease to be puzzles. Oh look, there's a chest bound in chains and covered with vines. I guess I'll use the garden shears that I used to cut the same vines as before, and then use this metal-cutting saw that I already used to saw through chains. Kudos to the protagonist for keeping useful tools with him after they're used once, but geez.

The length: I finished the game and got all achievements in 2.2 hours. No bonus chapter. Woefully short. I hate games that I finish 100% before I get all the card drops.

The dialogue and voices: Pretty bad. Clearly translated from Russian or possibly a European language, without passing through an English-speaking editor to clean up the jank. The voice actors were wooden, reading impassioned lines as if they were Oscar presenters looking at a teleprompter. At least it sounded clear, so you know the actors didn't literally phone it in, just figuratively.

The graphics: A bit of uncanny valley in the characters, and some of the animals looked disproportionate, but otherwise little to complain about.

The verdict: I can't see how this game would satisfy anyone except perhaps beginner game players. Too easy and the weak story and dialogue didn't help matters any. Give it a pass.

Rhaknar

Give it a pass

As if we are not giving every hidden object game a pass. More like someguyinaSTUPIDhat!

Im so cranky tonight :(

I can't help but feel that hidden object games take all the wrong inspirations from classic adventure games. Like, there's classic adventures game, then TellTale has their spin, and on the other side of the coin, the hidden object... industry... has theirs.

I'm also kinda baffled that they're so numerous (I hesitate to say popular).

neonglow

I can't help but feel that hidden object games take all the wrong inspirations from classic adventure games. Like, there's classic adventures game, then TellTale has their spin, and on the other side of the coin, the hidden object... industry... has theirs.

They're easy games that you can finish in an afternoon.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Karspankey, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Karspankey, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition -- MB-CC1A0E9AC4A91DB0 - Taken by KPJZKC. 24 entrants total.

t1459103376z1.png

Lomax

The well done ones are quite fun and they take the pixel hunting that is always the worst element of "classic" adventure games and make it something entertaining. They are especially good on a touch screen interface, which is what many of them are designed for.

I'm not saying everyone here should run out and play them, but if you generally like the idea of adventure games (like I do) but generally loathe the way most adventure games actually play (like I do), the artifex mundi stuff is definitely worth giving a shot.

And so ends my time with DmC Dante may Cry. What a miserable game. It's the fastest in recent memory that sheer aesthetic has unsold me from a game--in only 23 minutes! I couldn't skip the cutscenes fast enough, and unfortunately the game's aesthetic reaches into the part where you play the game, too.

It's like Metal Gear Rising, but without any of the cool.
The well done ones are quite fun and they take the pixel hunting that is always the worst element of "classic" adventure games and make it something entertaining. They are especially good on a touch screen interface, which is what many of them are designed for.

I'm not saying everyone here should run out and play them, but if you generally like the idea of adventure games (like I do) but generally loathe the way most adventure games actually play (like I do), the artifex mundi stuff is definitely worth giving a shot.

Oh, I never even considered the tablet/mobile markets for that stuff. That makes more sense. And I've probably just never seen a well-designed one, which is probably part of the problem.

Thanks for the insight.

Momentary

Banned
To be fair, the guy asked for recommendations for desks and you tried to sell him a $1300 chair.

Though, I live in west Michigan where they are made, so thanks for supporting my local economy.

I recommended one chair and like 8 desks. Give me a break. Double post. I'm drunk.

Fucking Uplay. Even these price errors can't make me care enough of their shitty client. Though even they get PC better than Microsoft's Win 10 apps.

Momentary

Banned
When I got the cheap Division copy, I was thinking how much UPlay improved until it started making my PC unresponsive with some massive glitch they have now. I haven't touched The Division ever since.

When I got the cheap Division copy, I was thinking how much UPlay improved until it started making my PC unresponsive with some massive glitch they have now. I haven't touched The Division ever since.

Did the same for me. I wish it can really link to my Steam account so I can get the Trading Cards. Stupid Uplay.

If you read the OT thread, it's because Xbox is on 1.0 and not supposed to have been released really. PC and PS4 are already on 1.01

1.0 Was easier for press and whatnot to be able to see more of the game in short windows they would often have. So basically the Xbox is currently on a press build.

Yeah, I wish there's an option or mod to enable that easy mod. I might buy the game if so.
I know it's impossible though, as the game has achievements and multiplayer etc.

Fucking Uplay. Even these price errors can't make me care enough of their shitty client. Though even they get PC better than Microsoft's Win 10 apps.

Od2J2VX.png

So far I have no problem whatsoever except not able to import steam friends.
Maybe I'm just lucky, or just the chosen one. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ludens

Banned
Releasing an easier build to review results into a fake review in my opinion, since the one reviewed is not the same game a common player will buy.

Releasing an easier build to review results into a fake review in my opinion, since the one reviewed is not the same game a common player will buy.

Yeah, that's pretty weird indeed.

I mean, if the problem is time, then give the reviewers the copy earlier to give them more time. There are so many longer games out there and Souls games aren't well known for their length anyway.

Ludens

Banned
Yeah, that's pretty weird indeed.

I mean, if the problem is time, then give the reviewers the copy earlier to give them more time. There are so many longer games out there and Souls games aren't well known for their length anyway.
It seems shorter than BB anyway, I don't think time is a factor, since there are a lot of longer rpgs or free roaming games. The problem is a reviewer could say the game is easier than other chapters, this will attract new players who didn't approch Souls first because its difficulty, only to be rewarded with a slap in their faces when booting the game. And this if the whole situation is real, I doubt it is, what's the point on creating an additional difficulty which can be seen by reviewers only, it seems a lot of work to me.

Corpekata

Banned
The easy build was not for reviews, but previews. Hence why I mentioned limited time. They made things easier so when writing previews of the game people weren't all stuck in the same area since each previewer had like 3 hours to play.

Most press have been given PC copies for actual reviews, and are on the normal patch.

It seems shorter than BB anyway, I don't think time is a factor, since there are a lot of longer rpgs or free roaming games. The problem is a reviewer could say the game is easier than other chapters, this will attract new players who didn't approch Souls first because its difficulty, only to be rewarded with a slap in their faces when booting the game. And this if the whole situation is real, I doubt it is, what's the point on creating an additional difficulty which can be seen by reviewers only, it seems a lot of work to me.

Well, they clearly want good reviews, and more reviews. If the reviewers can't beat the game or stuck on the first boss, maybe the devs afraid they'll give bad reviews or no review at all. It's also interesting to see if this is the first time they're doing this kind of thing to 'please' the reviewers or not. Souls games generally got pretty high overall scores in meta.

The easy build was not for reviews, but previews. Hence why I mentioned limited time. They made things easier to when writing previews of the game people weren't all stuck in the same area.

Most press have been given PC copies for actual reviews, and are on the normal patch.

Nvm then. :)

Rhaknar

man we going meta already?

...yes Flowly, I do want some love ;_;

edit: what the fuck? fuck you Flowly, you piece of shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom