• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
man we going meta already?

...yes Flowly, I do want some love ;_;

edit: what the fuck? fuck you Flowly, you piece of shit

flowey_large_by_sovanjedi-d9du6ic.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
what kind of hippie nonsense am I playing here?

Hey Toriel how about yu shove those snail stories up your ass, I dont want to hear about your goat bullshit

edit: goat lady
killed me. Had to go back to the save. Tried to go down the stairs and you cant, the game wants you to go through the script like any other game... so thats disapointing
. I hate when people ask the old "when does it become good"... but I gotta ask this (lol), at what point does it "click"? because so far all it is is a ugly game with great music, quirky writing and a spare mechanic that im only using because the internet told me thats how youre "supposed" to play, otherwise I would just be killing everything as usual. Granted I only played 30 minutes but its doing nothing for me so far :/

zkylon

zkylewd
ok abigail is into videogames, likes eating rocks and is afraid of spiders

sebastian having a motorcycle was a big win for him but i abigail's definitely the one

she has all the things you could ever want plus a cute bow thing

also named a duck saoirse

Pachimari

Finally completed Hitman Codename 47. It's a thing I always wanted to do, and finally I managed to make it.
Last year I tried to play the game but it gave me motion sickness, so I gave up.
I tried again this year, I saw I was ok and than I used a guide to quickly beat the game (well, quickly...that dude completed the game in 40 minutes, I took 5 hours on the lowest difficulty), since it's not so much stealth focused and it's VERY broken.
The last level was a nightmare, I needed several restarts because the game keeps spawning
clones
so fast I couldn't beat one and other two popped out. Literally, and you need to
carry a body over a switch to open a door, so good luck with that when three super-fast clones are using you as a target.
Even cutscenes are broken, at least for the italian version: the audio simply went off after one or two lines.

My passionate tip, if you never played any classic Hitman game, is: just play Contracts. Really, it's basically a full remake of the first game, there are just four level missing (I think?), three of them are the jungle ones (very useless imho), and another is the very last one (the first Contracts level is right after this one, but you miss nothing, only the tedious section I described, since there's a summary of the plot in the first cutscene).

Now I only need to find the strenght to start Silent Assassin, is the only one I'm missing (well, and the new Hitman game too) but it should be very bugged, trying to get Silent Assassin ranks on Professional should be painfull, it's the reason I'm avoiding to start it right now.
I tried doing a run earlier this year, as it was also a goal of mine to complete Codename 47, as I never managed to do so as a kid, but that hideous checkpoint system made me give up straight away. One checkpoint load and I were done.

tron space

Are you playing Dead Space 1, 2 or 3?

I remember I played through Dead Space 2 on Xbox 360 and loved every minute of it.

Wait, the game has sunglasses and it actually helps you see? Mind blown.

I think they're actually just cosmetic :(
Didn't Splinter Cell: Double Agent have you feature sunglasses, which would make you see better in daylight? They should have implemented that in The Division lol.

I tried doing a run earlier this year, as it was also a goal of mine to complete Codename 47, as I never managed to do so as a kid, but that hideous checkpoint system made me give up straight away. One checkpoint load and I were done.

Are you playing Dead Space 1, 2 or 3?

I remember I played through Dead Space 2 on Xbox 360 and loved every minute of it.

Didn't Splinter Cell: Double Agent have you feature sunglasses, which would make you see better in daylight? They should have implemented that in The Division lol.

Funnily enough I can see just fine in daylight. Could be a lighting thing and I might have to mess with the settings.

Shoyz

I was curious about 100% Orange Juice after reading its reviews about how ungodly RNG it is. I'd never considered buying from grey market key sites, but at only $1, it was cheap enough to risk the key getting revoked.

And wow is it fun. Makes me all the more sad at how modern Mario Party/Amiibo Festival pale in comparison.

Although I've yet to get any taste of the RNG hell I was awaiting (I was expecting something akin to Chance Time). Eyeballing the character DLC that will ironically cost me almost twice as much as the game itself.

And praying that Tabletop Simulator gets Vive/VR support.

Hektor

It seems shorter than BB anyway, I don't think time is a factor, since there are a lot of longer rpgs or free roaming games. The problem is a reviewer could say the game is easier than other chapters, this will attract new players who didn't approch Souls first because its difficulty, only to be rewarded with a slap in their faces when booting the game. And this if the whole situation is real, I doubt it is, what's the point on creating an additional difficulty which can be seen by reviewers only, it seems a lot of work to me.

Shorter than BB? That was already a lot shorter than the other souls games.

Medieval Mercs 25,000 Mega Giveaway
http://www.digitalhomicide.ninja/#!bundles/tell7
Wow even Digital Homicide jumped on the join 10 identical and largely pointless groups groups bandwagon such as 超级捆绑 DH 超级捆绑 and Супер пучки DHCNwoot. I'm sure they're the finest google translate around...better not say that they might prove they bought some stock phases...

bloke

Wow even Digital Homicide jumped on the join 10 identical and largely pointless groups groups bandwagon such as 超级捆绑 DH 超级捆绑 and Супер пучки DHCNwoot. I'm sure they're the finest google translate around...better not say that they might prove they bought some stock phases...
Yeah, too much steam groups to join for one shitty game

Ludens

Banned
Shorter than BB? That was already a lot shorter than the other souls games.

Yup, people reported some streamers beat the full game (so including all optional stuff) in 24 hours.

Well, they clearly want good reviews, and more reviews. If the reviewers can't beat the game or stuck on the first boss, maybe the devs afraid they'll give bad reviews or no review at all. It's also interesting to see if this is the first time they're doing this kind of thing to 'please' the reviewers or not. Souls games generally got pretty high overall scores in meta.

Anyway my point is, I doubt reviewers received an easier version of the game. I just think the game is a lot easier, that's it.
Giving reviewers a simplified version just to bump the difficulty in the retail version is plain stupid, at this point just create two difficulty settings and go with it. If you want a good review (aka, if you want to sell ton of copies) make a good, polished game. Providing two version of the same game (and one of them being easier) is just a scam to me. It's like playing Binding of Isaac with infinite health and make a review, the review can't truly paint the game as it is.

Checkpoints? There are no checkpoints or sabe, if you die you start the mission from the beginning even on the lowest difficulty. Or did I miss something?

Ozium

I am waiting for uplay to delete ozium's ave files just to see him do a 180 :v

I even played the games and then reset windows and redownloaded uplay and the saves descended from the cloud and I was right where I left off...

Yves Guillemot has this shit on LOCK

Kiru

they've gone mad
worst dev/publisher on steam

The easy build was not for reviews, but previews. Hence why I mentioned limited time. They made things easier so when writing previews of the game people weren't all stuck in the same area since each previewer had like 3 hours to play.

Most press have been given PC copies for actual reviews, and are on the normal patch.
That still has the same problem as giving an easier build for reviews. There's no point distributing that build if it is known that the final game will be/is harder. It's not an accurate preview or review. Souls games are known, primarily, for their difficulty so making it easier so that critics can see more is pointless.

Red Hood

Banned
Would I be right to assume that as long as Newegg didn't send me an email regarding the Division price error, the code I got should still work?

sheaaaa

That still has the same problem as giving an easier build for reviews. There's no point distributing that build if it is known that the final game will be/is harder. It's not an accurate preview or review. Souls games are known, primarily, for their difficulty so making it easier so that critics can see more is pointless.

I don't have to read a preview of DS3 to know its hard though. I want to know what the world's like, what the changes to the combat are like, what else is different, etc. If making preview code easy allows for info like that then I'm all for it.

Isn't this against Steam's TOS?

Section 3A:
It is technically but in reality Valve does not persecute key activations via VPN.
The same trick makes it also possible to activate Steam Game Gifts from restricted regions (e.g. Russia) but this is where Valve goes actively against by punishing the user (ban, lock etc.).
Some game called Deadbreed® – Undead Beta Pack.
Never heard of it so I'll guess I'll try it soon.
Did not expect that.

r3n4ud

Happy chocolate day folks. If any of these don't work, lemme know. Had to reenter most of the games since my son closed the page down. It's okay though, I confiscated all his chocolate.

ModBot said:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 26 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Big Action Mega Fight! -- MB-A4525C91D7BF8406 - Taken by Saty
Girls Like Robots -- MB-DFBC7D430979BED8 - Taken by mp1990
The Haunting of Billy -- MB-8CBC1E12E383B3CF - Taken by bobnowhere
SHOWTIME 2073 -- MB-DC6FE2CCEB99DFC1 - Taken by Vuze
Phoenix Force -- MB-5476785DA94B9EBC - Taken by user237
Burnstar -- MB-25E398E9ACC0968B - Taken by madjoki
Frankenstein: Master of Death -- MB-0897926CB971E922 - Taken by alr1ght
Toy Soldiers Complete -- MB-606B7DFE8C6AD95A - Taken by freshVeggie
Space Pilgrim Episode II -- MB-E794FD73AAAD57C9 - Taken by redlacs
Circuits -- MB-0F2C602400EE7CBE - Taken by Loptous
It's Spring Again -- MB-C96EC4560339B93E - Taken by Catshade
MechaNika -- MB-E36CFF7215B42F0D - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Adam and Eve: The Game - Chapter 1 -- MB-C45BBB949F4ED3AF - Taken by Abomination
Riddled Corpses -- MB-7B5F624946D940EC - Taken by S1n1st3r
Wyv and Keep -- MB-34A41A6F24398045 - Taken by septicore
Dreaming Sarah -- MB-0811D94FC0F17BB7 - Taken by OmarYusaf
See No Evil -- MB-95C8E3A003A48598 - Taken by voodooray
Furfly -- MB-CAD913BDC8B816CE - Taken by roadrunn3r
Arcane Sorcery -- MB-1295E7BBD77B051A - Taken by ExoSoul
Dracula's Legacy -- MB-AAFF5FCE795E119C - Taken by someguyinahat
Cally's Caves 3 -- MB-88F0D6BBF58556E4 - Taken by rainking187
Pre-Civilization Marble Age -- MB-3C279AA3CA3D023C - Taken by Eila
The Land of Lamia -- MB-A6769D3AAD40A120 - Taken by Purkake4
Chime -- MB-8B58C5E2B894F6BF - Taken by Shalashaska
Mr. Bree Plus -- MB-2E8CBC2E3593C5E4 - Taken by Megauap
Project Graviton -- MB-1DB8168DFB588726 - Taken by bloke

Give it a pass

As if we are not giving every hidden object game a pass.

Hey, I can understand someone's reluctance to buy 'em. Think of my impressions as "if you happen to get one in a bundle, should you play it or not?"

I can't help but feel that hidden object games take all the wrong inspirations from classic adventure games. Like, there's classic adventures game, then TellTale has their spin, and on the other side of the coin, the hidden object... industry... has theirs.

I'm also kinda baffled that they're so numerous (I hesitate to say popular).

They're cheap to make. You don't need 3D artists, the animation is basic, only a handful of voice actors are needed (Frankenstein had five characters and three voice actors to voice them, for example,) etc. When games have a low cost, you'll find several developers who will do them. (See also: Visual Novel, RPGMaker game.) These games also have appeal to casual gamers who don't have a lot of time to play - and while I'm totally generalizing here - women in particular. I don't know HOW profitable the games are, but I know they are.

derExperte

Let's say I've decided to click through aaaalllll the discovery queue. How many items are there on Steam right now?

5465 games viewed
+ 225 games on wishlist
+ 2010 games owned
------------------------------------
= 7700*

*actually less because I bought and wishlisted some of the viewed games**

**actually more, after a few hours I'm getting new queues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom