• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
But this is false. It hasn't actually happened. If you go on the proper threads and discuss your points against Anita's conclusions in a level-headed matter, nobody will call you a gator. .

Actually that happened to me in the thread of that genderswap video. Thats why I try to stay away from these threads...

Regarding the gender-swap, I don't think you quite got what she meant. She means that including a female character can't just be a skin change with absolutely no changes whatsoever in everything else. That "gender swapped Zelda" that she proposed would have been made from the ground up with a female character in mind, so the previous criticism does not apply.

The thing is, that its still just a genderswapped Zelda game. Maybe I didnt get her point, but to me it seemed quite stupid, that she said a genderswap is bad, then propose a genderswapped Zelda game. And I mean who can actually prove that Game ABC didnt plan the game from the ground up with a female character?

Eila

asking for friend

Question about L4D:

Is there a "right" way to play it? plan on FINALLY playing through the first game after i finish Halo 4 and i'm just going to play the campaign online so that randos can jump in if anything.

I've just had these games for a gazillion years and its time

Co-op campaign is fine, people are helpful, game is fun, etc.
Competitive mutliplayer is filled with assholes. I mean you can play with randoms as well, but expect to get kicked for any mistake you make.
Also, L4D campaigns were ported to L4D2 years ago, so there's not much reason to play the original at all.

Rivitur

Banned
asking for friend

Question about L4D:

Is there a "right" way to play it? plan on FINALLY playing through the first game after i finish Halo 4 and i'm just going to play the campaign online so that randos can jump in if anything.

Versus is the right and better way to play but campaign isn't that bad. Of course promod/coflg is the real way to play. Only problem is there are many tips and tricks you need to know before you can play those.

I'd stick with campaign unless you want to be torn apart by the wolves.

Amzin

I don't get it either. Maybe I'm a sociopath or something but I don't feel sorry when you get what you deserve. The oh no people lose job angle doesn't make it better. Everyone has lost a job before, that's life.

This is going a bit off-topic even for a Steam thread, but the hard-line against any and all job loss (in the U.S. especially) is doing harm now and going to do serious harm the longer it goes on.

At some point, there's just not going to be enough jobs for people. And it will keep going to fewer jobs, more people. It doesn't have to be a bad scenario but the way people think about work and society and money right now, it almost surely will be.

The only positive I can give DAI over DA2 is that it didn't reuse assets like DA2 did. Besides that I fully stand by saying 2 is the better game in every other way though.
I enjoyed my entire playthrough of 2. While DAI got boring rather early on for me.

I really wanted to like DA2, but the copy pasta was soul crushing.

Versus is the right and better way to play but campaign isn't that bad. Of course promod/coflg is the real way to play. Only problem is there are many tips and tricks you need to know before you can play those.

I'd stick with campaign unless you want to be torn apart by the wolves.

yeah, just playing the campaigns because i figured that versus is untenable for a newcomer. I'll just wait for L4D3 before i get into that other stuff lol

Phinor

I thought DA2 with all that copy/pasting was the worst Bioware could do because it made a decent game so much worse but then they followed that with Mass Effect 3 ending and Dragon Age Inquisition. On the positive side DA:I has retroactively made DA2 a better game. They did release SWTOR in the middle of those games though and that was/is a decent MMO so I guess that's a +-0 for them.

asking for friend

Question about L4D:

Remember to push enemies a lot. If they get too close, you may want to push them first and then shoot. Save molotovs for Tanks, even though the fire will make them run faster (especially in L4D1). Don't be too hasty on using medkits. Wait till your character or a companion is about to die, namely when their vision gets all b/w. Or for when you really need to run. If your health is below 40 and you hear a Tank nearby, heal. And also, be extra careful with friendly fire, as it can really hurt on higher difficulties.

Knurek

So, Ryse any good if I want a quick, Remember Me-like experience?
I have Origin installed, so I should be getting good performance, right?

yuraya

Dark Souls 3 is top seller on Steam and its two weeks before release.

Deluxe edition is #2 and controller bundle is #10.

The Souls formula is pretty much main stream. Soon they will be doing 2 releases per year. Bring it on Miyazaki.

Next game needs to be Sci-Fi. They should also do a Western. Maybe Ancient Egypt or more Victorian era stuff like Bloodborne. The doors are really open now that they are done with Medieval Fantasy.

Hopefully everyone can temper their expectations for future Bioware productions.

Mass Effect trilogy is still some of the best shit this industry has ever made tho. If they do more stuff like that they will be fine.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Dark Souls 3 is top seller on Steam and its two weeks before release.

Deluxe edition is #2 and controller bundle is #10.

The Souls formula is pretty much main stream. Soon they will be doing 2 releases per year. Bring it on Miyazaki.

Next game needs to be Sci-Fi. They should also do a Western. Maybe Ancient Egypt or more Victorian era stuff like Bloodborne. The doors are really open now that they are done with Medieval Fantasy.

no it isnt, GTA5 is

AHA-Lambda

Wow, Nightcry has average reviews on Steam.

Hmm, need impressions on this =/

Although it seems like since many of the KS updates, there's been a lot of skepticism

EDIT: Are TT's episodes getting bloody shorter? The new episode for TWD Michonne is apparently shorter than the last one!

Ludens

Banned
Hmm, need impressions on this =/

Although it seems like since many of the KS updates, there's been a lot of skepticism

The funny thing is I can find no reviews about. It should be a very hyped games, since a lot of people who worked in the golden age of survival horror games are here, but I was googling a bit today and I found nothing.

The only thing I know is the PC version is not so great, since there's already a 60 fps fix around. Also controls seem bad.

zkylon

zkylewd
The only newsites GamerGaters trusted at the end of 2014 were Breitbart and Escapist.

Escapist was trash and while I'm sorry for all the people working there I will not miss them.

that's depressing

there was some good video content back in the day in the escapist

The thing about the whole GG debate is stupid, even on GAF.

Like if you criticise some arguments of Anita Sarkeesian (and there are some things you can criticise, like she doesnt want a gender-swap, then minutes later her idea of a good game is a genderswapped Zelda), you are directly a "Gator".
And if you want a more diverse role of women in Gaming, you are a SJW...
there's not really a debate tho, lots of people are either ignorant or assholes and a lot of people are caught in the crossfire and don't help by drive-bying with opinions that don't really matter (like saying the same things people has already said 200 times over or just basing their stuff on random stuff on the internet)

more diverse role of women in gaming is not something people should be for or against, that's just a thing that should happen and will happen and there's no point in crying about it

anita sarksksiaiaknsan idk, i can't believe people still get riled up over her videos. some of them are bad, some are good, some of her stuff is pretty questionable but she's brought good discussion to an industry without a drop of introspection so i'll still applaud what she's done

Saty

So did the Early Access experiment pay off? While Coleman says Dirt Rally is loved (as of this writing, 91 percent of reviews for it on Steam are positive), he adds that the number of units shipped "do not constitute a financial success" (at least not yet).

"I think there was a bit of a perfect storm with Dirt Rally and Early Access," Coleman said. "I don't think it's a silver bullet. I wouldn't use it again if we were going to try the same thing again, for example. It was just, from my perspective as a developer who'd poured my heart and soul into that prototype over the previous couple of years, it was really important for me to not just let go and consign it to the archives."
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-03-29-shifting-from-aaa-to-early-access

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

inm8num2

Valve loses Australian legal battle over Steam refunds

As reported by the Brisbane Times, an Australian federal court has declared that, despite being a US-based company that doesn't offer physical goods in Australia, Valve's refusal to offer refunds on goods it sells is in violation of Australian consumer law. It's the first time an Australian court has defined digital products as "goods," according to the ACCC, and Chairman Rod Sims warned that the decision could have major repercussions for other companies operating digitally in the country.

Saty

well... I mean one assumes the bulk of the sales will be when the game is "out" right? Isnt this just extra money, or at least money upfront? I mean for any EA game.

Im sure there are many people like me that wait until the games are actually out of EA to buy (or play) them

Dirt Rally exited EA in December.

Rhaknar

Dirt Rally exited EA in December.

oh shit, im so out of the loop with EA games. Well that sucks then, I hear its quite excellent

edit: is that lawsuit from the pre-refund days, or for whatever reason they didnt offer the refund service in Australia?

Ozium

killer instinct is a lot of fun! moves look so flashy so even if you just end up button mashing its fun to watch :x I'll probably but the supreme pack pretty soon, i hope you can get it cheaper by switching your region like you could do for tomb raider.

you got got

Ozium

ModBot 2 said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ozium, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

This War of Mine -- MB-0D80BF4C623BF562 - Taken by pantsattack. 19 entrants total.

t1459281954z1.png

for those who missed the humble monthly OR REFUSE TO BE SUCKERED INTO BUYING UNKNOWN GAMES WITH THE HOPES YOU WILL GET SOMETHING YOU WANT AND DON'T ALREADY OWN

Rhaknar

another humble monthly where I go "meh I already have that" and then go "fuck, I wanted those games that werent announced"

...still not subbing tho, $12 is too much of a risk lol. Ill keep eating my Ls

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Reverse Crawl -- MB-CE15FE95C20D7B42 - Taken by Ozium

Annubis

Personally, what broke DA2 for me was how unbalanced the higher difficulty were.
It was obvious they never tested those.

I still think it's hilariously bad that one boss has a move that is a mini-cutscene (completely undodgeable) that kills a mage Hawk in one hit at the highest difficulty.

Saty

This 2013 interview, conducted at Gamescom shortly after Oculus recruited John Carmack as CTO, is full of promises. What became of them? Take a look at the state of Oculus three years before launch.

Have you said exactly when the consumer release is going to be, or is it more of a ballpark?

PL: We haven't. Sometime next year is a good ballpark. We've been telling people it'll be multiple months, not multiple years. The thing is, we don't want ship something that's not finished, or tie ourselves to a deadline

There are so many people that are working on VR games. We've already seen a lot of really cool indie demos. But even a lot of triple-A developers are excited about the possibilities of VR and porting their games over

More at the link.

madjoki

The timer still says 2 days left, and I just tried it and it still seems to go as far as the paypal checkout screen so i assume it works fine.

I guess someone might have confused humble's "last chance" to order they sent yesterday. But yeah, it should be up until Friday.

At this point even if there is something I want, I'm perfectly happy just buying it from BST for cheap.

Yeah, let others carry the risk of it being total flop :)

Soulflarz

Banned
I really want a steam controller but $42 is a lot for that :/

does a friend ordering it as a gift give him the $30 price if he buys it for me or

Rhaknar

do bundles count towards getting the indiegala free keys? I want reverse crawl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom