• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
No need to over generalize alright?

No, but I agree its one and the same. So lets say its a subset of the souls fanbase, how about that?

The ones that go "lol shields are for scrubs" or "youre not playing for real if you summon"

kagamin

I'm part of the "play Souls games for having fun in your own way" group (if it exists), I mean seriously I made a Disc Chime PVP build because I was bored, just hitting people for insane damage with a chime was really fun.

Tizoc

I'm part of the "play Souls games for having fun in your own way" group (if it exists), I mean seriously I made a Disc Chime PVP build because I was bored, just hitting people for insane damage with a chime was really fun.
That sounds like the smash community for some reason

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

I just like the souls games /shrug

bobawesome

Had a pretty bad experience trying to build my own PC recently. I had everything set up and it worked well for a day and the motherboard just ups and dies. More power to you if building rigs is your thing but I just don't have it in me anytime soon to reinstall everything for a fourth time.

Decided to go with an Alienware Alpha since it seems like it'll meet my needs just fine. The biggest issue I hear from owners is the slow hard drive speed but I have an unused ssd I can put it. Most games I play these days are niche Japanese games so I don't think future compatibility will be an issue.

I don't know why I'm writing this. I needed to rationalize it to myself, I guess.

Hektor

What the heck happened to Tizoc?

I suppose that was for the brains comment a few pages back.

They seem one in the same to me. The fanatics are insane.

I dunno man, the soulsfanbase (and for disclosure, i count myself among them) is honestly pretty chill. I've made many experiences with nice people that helped me to 'Git Gud' when i started playing DS for the first time. It's a very friendly and passionate community.

But thing is, generally shitheads always stand out among the masses, and now that the souls franchise exploded there are a lot more people that just play the games and post here on NeoGAF about it, but aren't really part of the community.

And in regards to Bloodborne specifically, what my post was originally about, there is also the thing with it beeing a PS4 exclusive, which adds an entire subset of fanboys to the community, you can easy tell because bloodborne got the most newcomers playing it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Had a pretty bad experience trying to build my own PC recently. I had everything set up and it worked well for a day and the motherboard just ups and dies. More power to you if building rigs is your thing but I just don't have it in me anytime soon to reinstall everything for a fourth time.

Decided to go with an Alienware Alpha since it seems like it'll meet my needs just fine. The biggest issue I hear from owners is the slow hard drive speed but I have an unused ssd I can put it. Most games I play these days are niche Japanese games so I don't think future compatibility will be an issue.

I don't know why I'm writing this. I needed to rationalize it to myself, I guess.

Even if building a system isn't your forte, it'd still be a much better idea to snap up the parts and pay a store to put them together for you (which shouldn't cost more than around $50) than buy a pre-built system. Something worth keeping in mind for the future, at least.

kagamin

Yea I'll have to agree with JaseC on this one friend, get parts and get/pay someone to build it for you.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Every time I put a system together, I manage to cut myself on something, at least one component is a pain in the arse to install, and the first attempt at booting fails. Next time I think I'll just have one of my mates do the job in exchange for a bottle of booze.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Every time I put a system together, I manage to cut myself on something, at least one component is a pain in the arse to install, and the first attempt at booting fails. Next time I think I'll just have one of my mates do the job in exchange for a bottle of booze.

Just one bottle? Give 'em a case at least.

Deques

CYCbTCjWwAA0RrP.png:orig

https://youtu.be/2lMBx3LbcOQ?t=2m48s

I just had some time finding the video, to see why she wore the sign :)

DONTNOD are pretty much the kings of atmosphere. I can't wait for Vampyr.

I can sympathise. I cut my fingers real good installing just a graphics card (my current one). I, of course, bandaged it right away to avoid getting blood all over the hardware... only to notice, right after I finally got it in place, that 2/3 of the cuts went unnoticed. I guess I have delicate hands or something, because otherwise I don't know how people do it.

Hardware upgrades are bloody business.

Arthea

Stay positive, or else you'll end up like Shane...

I'm going to befriend that douchebag and then marry him and after don't talk to him for months out of spite.
I do agree that every RPG needs own Shane.

I still need to find out what he likes, he doesn't make it easy or even possible.

gonna build a new pc fam

amd or intel for cpu?

you could start with buying Stardew Valley, it can run on a toster, so you won't need a new PC for a while.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Is Portal Knight worth it GAF?

my friends are trying to convince me to buy and join but im hugely weary of EA games that just riff off other popular game ideas. It does look visually nice though.

Dr Dogg

CA always looks awful in static screenshots as you have time to linger on it. True if used in abundance or with an extremely strong separation effect going on it can even look horrible in motion but when used sparingly and in a context that might make sense it can be pretty swish. Crysis for example all the way back in 2007 used it for a few effects (underwater and getting hit by alien weapons I seem to recall) and it wasn't u til Crysis 2 that they went overboard. When some games use it in effects or HUD elements that are ment to have distortion going on it can work quite well.

dex3108

CA always looks awful in static screenshots as you have time to linger on it. True if used in abundance or with an extremely strong separation effect going on it can even look horrible in motion but when used sparingly and in a context that might make sense it can be pretty swish. Crysis for example all the way back in 2007 used it for a few effects (underwater and getting hit by alien weapons I seem to recall) and it wasn't u til Crysis 2 that they went overboard. When some games use it in effects or HUD elements that are ment to have distortion going on it can work quite well.

For some effect it is ok to have CA. But today they just use it in game for everything. Even in real life it is not that common to see CA these days. When you slap it as camera effect on whole image it looks bad and annoying (at least for me) even in motion. At least devs should give us a choice because that effect is something that is not used for anything except for "Artistic Vision" or whatever. :D

Wok

Free keys there: http://failmid.com/game/woodle-tree-adventures-100-discount/

ModBot said:
Instructions for Wok:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Woodle Tree Adventures -- MB-857DB0D6A6254DCD - Taken by ThingontheFloor. 4 entrants total.

redlacs

Had a dream that LEGO Stargate was on Steam!
Apparently there would need to be such themed physical Lego first, which there isnt because Best-Block has the licence for that. double disappoint morning

Ludens

Banned
Do you think we'll see FFIX today?
Or SE will troll for the third time?
Some people say software houses don't troll, but doing three times the same mistake is just stupid or done on purpose, so...

Intel

Do you think we'll see FFIX today?
Or SE will troll for the third time?
Some people say software houses don't troll, but doing three times the same mistake is just stupid or done on purpose, so...

I think is troll because SE store site eu still "coming soon" ...

Saty

One of the forums i tend to visit is now getting blocked by my AV:

Access to the web page was blocked.

Threat: HTML/Refresh.BC trojan

What do i do? Is something wrong on their end or does this affect my local computer?

Coldsun

Banned
One of the forums i tend to visit is now getting blocked by my AV:

What do i do? Is something wrong on their end or does this affect my local computer?

If you don't proceed, then you're fine. If you ignored the warning then you could potentially become infected (Assuming it isn't a false positive).

No, it isn't anything on your side.

wait, why do you think FF9 is today? I just checked the store page, still no release date on that one.

Not sure why people are thinking it is today, but on the positive side they did push a new change to steam according to steamdb.

Dr Dogg

For some effect it is ok to have CA. But today they just use it in game for everything. Even in real life it is not that common to see CA these days. When you slap it as camera effect on whole image it looks bad and annoying (at least for me) even in motion. At least devs should give us a choice because that effect is something that is not used for anything except for "Artistic Vision" or whatever. :D

Well you could argue that like vinetting it's also being used to frame the scene and draw the players eyes to the centre of the screen. Which works great if that's where your action is and you have a fixed camera but when you have games that happen all around you and leave the camera orientation in control of the player there is no way to tell what tey will be focusing on at any one time. I mean a professional colourist doesn't just select a set of fire and forget, a one and done set of values when adjusting a scene. They go through each frame one by one and mask off certain sections, maybe even multiple sections at a time and that area can contract or expand as the scene goes on frame by frame. Only way to do that and update certain effects, tonemaping, even things like depth of field proportionate to the viewers actual focus on screen, would be to track where their eyes are looking (or to an extent a HMD with a fixed screen position for every player).

So kind of like that cool thing you posted about The Division where it adjusts the UI depending where you look and even gives you a quick look towards the edge of the screen. I mean that's a nice starting point to use that kind of tech but imagine if a game could sense where you are looking on screen, calculate the object you are looking at and then adjust focus on that so it becomes clear as day. Games have had dynamic depth of field before but based on a fixed point on your display. So just alter this point dynamically to where you are looking and boom! Something pretty fancy.

Apparently there would need to be such themed physical Lego first, which there isnt because Best-Block has the licence for that. double disappoint morning

I didn't know I wanted this until you mentioned it. Plus with Stargates themself you have the perfect mechanic to go back to a hub based level select rather than the forced open world the recent LEGO games have gone for.

Glossing over the posts yours caught my eye and I was excited... Till I read it properly. At least the new star wars one looks cool though.

Talking about dream games, I'd love to see a Lego noire game with actual detective puzzles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom