• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

I don't get how Saoirse is pronounced SURshaa but that's how it was pronounced in the television ads for Brooklyn here. For years I've been trying to phonetically pronounce that in my head and its many variations never sounded like that.

Oh shit. I realize I've never even truly pronounced her name in my head when I've read it, it was as if my mind would mumble "Sayer-Rose" and I'd just keep going.

I though we'd established it was Scorcese Romulan a long time ago.

I always pronounced it Sure-Sha

I thought it was pronounced JaseC.

i saw her in the grammys and thought to myself, oh hey, thats jace's waifu but when they said her name I was like nah, no way thats her cause then that would mean her name is pronounced nothing like the way its spelled.

this is how I've been pronouncing it all this time.

In this thread, no one knows Gaelic exists. Things are pronounced differently as per the language.

Saorise is an offshoot of Saorsa. Both mean "Freedom / Liberty".

In Gaelic, the Statue of Liberty is Ìomhaigh na Saoirse

Dr Dogg

In this thread, no one knows Gaelic exists. Things are pronounced differently as per the language.

Or people forget about one of the uses of a dictionary.

Something, something, speak as you spell.

So going through my badge list I noticed Three Fourths Home: Extended Edition has a badge called Idling. I wonder now if that is a reference to card idling or something in the game?

IDK why I find stamina based games so stressful but I do.
I wish we could get rid of that concept in gaming in general. Who's with me?
It is funny how many different meaning this has. I was thinking of:
-Games where you can do a limited number of actions and have to wait to do more (typically f2p games, I have heard of people who get stressed over stamina overflow)
-Games where your character casts magic and their mana regenerates over time
-Games where you can hold the run button down for three seconds before being reduced to a wheezing mess.

Blimey NOLURKERS and BLOCK for such a zero value game? Might as well put MEGAGIVERSONLY, PAYITFORWARD, NOWINNERSMONTHLY and JUNIORSONLY while we're at it.

Ludens

Banned
That means nothing, it was at the top of that list many times already, until there is no date, nothing is sure thing.
Yeah, it happened two times, but as JaseC said too, SE manually set up a date, like FFIX should release in that day. Many FF released out of nothing on Steam, so it's possible the game will release today, but I doubt it.

Nzyme32

Or people forget about one of the uses of a dictionary.

Something, something, speak as you spell.

Too many years in Scotland and with Irish people leads to a ton of this.

Rory, in Gaelic in Scotland is Ruairidh but for Irish folks it is a different spelling that I can't remember.

I'm just glad I haven't had to stay in Wales too long. That seems more difficult.

dex3108

Well you could argue that like vinetting it's also being used to frame the scene and draw the players eyes to the centre of the screen. Which works great if that's where your action is and you have a fixed camera but when you have games that happen all around you and leave the camera orientation in control of the player there is no way to tell what tey will be focusing on at any one time. I mean a professional colourist doesn't just select a set of fire and forget, a one and done set of values when adjusting a scene. They go through each frame one by one and mask off certain sections, maybe even multiple sections at a time and that area can contract or expand as the scene goes on frame by frame. Only way to do that and update certain effects, tonemaping, even things like depth of field proportionate to the viewers actual focus on screen, would be to track where their eyes are looking (or to an extent a HMD with a fixed screen position for every player).

So kind of like that cool thing you posted about The Division where it adjusts the UI depending where you look and even gives you a quick look towards the edge of the screen. I mean that's a nice starting point to use that kind of tech but imagine if a game could sense where you are looking on screen, calculate the object you are looking at and then adjust focus on that so it becomes clear as day. Games have had dynamic depth of field before but based on a fixed point on your display. So just alter this point dynamically to where you are looking and boom! Something pretty fancy.

But i in general don't like that devs use in game camera as real camera with all of camera effects. I like those effects in Photo Mode but i don't like them in game. I can understand some of them like DoF that can help in hiding things but if you have to use some of those to focus player to things use level design and in game assets for that not camera effects :D

Dr Dogg

Well so far FFXI has had about 4 release dates and none of them have been right. Common sense would probably say to wait until GMG has a preorder price up as that has happened with each of the FF games for XIII onwards about a week before it launches. Usually this is also the time there is a post for a Squenix rep giving you the release date on the day too.

Too many years in Scotland and with Irish people leads to a ton of this.

Rory, in Gaelic in Scotland is Ruairidh but for Irish folks it is a different spelling that I can't remember.

I'm just glad I haven't had to stay in Wales too long. That seems more difficult.

Ask someone here from the State to pronounce Graham and see what you get back :p

Funnily I do a fair bit of copytyping in Welsh despite not speaking more than a few choice phrases and not being able to spell in English let alone Welsh. Quite a few similarities with Cornish and an abundances of Ls, Ys and Fs. But once you've got a handle on the basic phonetic structure it sort of makes sense.

Though I worked in Wales for a couple of years, both Chepstow and Cardiff plus being right on my doorstep been there numerous times for nights out, Christmas shopping and various sporting events (like watching Bristol City get robbed of promotion by Brighton because Danny Coles is a twat who should learn to stay on his feet when in the box). Though surprisingly very few people in our age bracket speak Welsh. Doesn't stop the train announcements though starting in Welsh and because they take so bloody long by the time you get to the English part if you hadn't twigged what platform you were meant to be on you've probably missed your train.

Arthea

I finished 10 accompanying games while playing Trails SC and still not done with it. I'm now almost at 100 hours and as near as the end is it would seem, it can easily take another 30 hours for all I know.
I probably will finish Stardew Valley, which by no means is short too, before getting to the bottom of SC.

Okay Steam. So if I go to my activity feed > friend activity settings > un-tick everything related to groups I belong to then why do I still get the pop-up notifications of such group related shit? Is there something I missed that actually allows me to disable the pop-up notification?
I know the real solution is don't stay joined to shit groups but in most other services you can actually mute things. Also most things when you set yourself as busy will hide such things too.

Nzyme32

Ask someone here from the State to pronounce Graham and see what you get back :p

Funnily I do a fair bit of copytyping in Welsh despite not speaking more than a few choice phrases and not being able to spell in English let alone Welsh. Quite a few similarities with Cornish and an abundances of Ls, Ys and Fs. But once you've got a handle on the basic phonetic structure it sort of makes sense.

Though I worked in Wales for a couple of years, both Chepstow and Cardiff plus being right on my doorstep been there numerous times for nights out, Christmas shopping and various sporting events (like watching Bristol City get robbed of promotion by Brighton because Danny Coles is a twat who should learn to stay on his feet when in the box). Though surprisingly very few people in our age bracket speak Welsh. Doesn't stop the train announcements though starting in Welsh and because they take so bloody long by the time you get to the English part if you hadn't twigged what platform you were meant to be on you've probably missed your train.

Haha! Yeah I've had problems when traveling through on the train. Kind of surprised I didn't make the Cornish connection, but it does seem to make sense. Might have a deeper look into that later.

In fifty years, it won't.

Unlikely considering how it survives today. Regardless, all that matters is that Thin Lizzy's Roísín Dubh: A Rock Legend will survive to the end of time.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Blimey NOLURKERS and BLOCK for such a zero value game? Might as well put MEGAGIVERSONLY, PAYITFORWARD, NOWINNERSMONTHLY and JUNIORSONLY while we're at it.

Why would you be rude at someone giving stuff away for free? It's entirely up to the givers to set conditions for their giveaways. These conditions are also very reasonable for any giveaway, as long as your aim is to give to people participating in this community, and to people that has not been identified as abusing giveaways earlier.

Nillansan

I am looking forward to Ghostlight's upcoming announcement. Pop by this thread and take a guess at what game that will be announced for a chance to win whatever game they end up announcing.

Pachimari

I can't remember, when I got to purchase SuperHOT at Nuuvem, is it before I put it in my basket that I need to turn on VPN? Or just at the Paypal purchase?

Why would you be rude at someone giving stuff away for free?

Heh. It's probably because Woodle Tree Adventures is one of the most given-away Steam games ever. Most bundle sites have given it away at least once, it's been in tons of bundles, and it's often reasoned that games like this are sold to key resellers en masse (I've heard one discussion mention that you can give 10k keys away for $1000), and the developers make it back - and then some - on trading card sales, because that's all the game is good for.

Deques

*Makes a mental note of this*

Not that I have time for games much recently, but at least now I know how to get them a little cheaper if I do.

Add this to also, not all games can be purchased unless you have a Brazilian address tied in your paypal account. So find a Brazilian bro who can help you buy games from Nuuvem :p

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Add this to also, not all games can be purchased unless you have a Brazilian address tied in your paypal account. So find a Brazilian bro who can help you buy games from Nuuvem :p

Ah, thanks for the heads-up. Probably won't be getting them any cheaper after all then!

Knurek

I finished 10 accompanying games while playing Trails SC and still not done with it. I'm now almost at 100 hours and as near as the end is it would seem, it can easily take another 30 hours for all I know.

What the hell are you doing with the game? I did a full BP/most achievs run and just barely broke 70 hours.

Asgaro

This is the thread where we finally kill all the anime.

AHnZ1Vg.gif

Adry9

We'll probably get that for The Witcher but not Cyberpunk. At most, I just expect a passing reference to the latter.

You mean the expansion? I think it was already announced to be Q2 2016. I don't think they'll put an exact date since they usually just use Quarters for this presentations.

nice thread btw! =)

no.

Support your (maybe not so) local fighting games!

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/388750/

2 more days!

Is it going to cost the same as Xrd?

header.jpg

Don't forget Slain! It's coming out on March 24th.

It's on my radar.

Why has a shmup got lolis in it? o_O

Because Japan? It's Cave, stop asking questions.

Enable the VPN before putting it in the cart, disable it before you checkout

It works just fine if you just leave it on entirely through the purchase too. It's what I always do.
I'm betting the major benefit if no snags are hit with disabling the VPN before checkout that the main difference is that the purchase completes a little faster.

jdw_b

Capital letters thread title is best thread title

My life has been rather busy lately for Steam/PC Games. I have a quick blast of F1 every now and then but that's pretty much it

I bought Witcher 3 a few weeks back and have only managed to play an hour or so

1 hour till Vive preorder open. I still dont have a clue whether I should preorder that or Oculus. Oculus has more interesting games and more "demo" now, but I would have to wait till July to get it...
Vive has great roomtracking and real VR controllers.

I like garlic, delicious language.

A big mistake MicroSoft is doing for not letting Remedy release Quantum Break on Steam. If you l am forced between the two, I will choose to get it on XBone rather than teh Windows Store. No way I am even using it.

Wok

Heh. It's probably because Woodle Tree Adventures is one of the most given-away Steam games ever. Most bundle sites have given it away at least once, it's been in tons of bundles, and it's often reasoned that games like this are sold to key resellers en masse (I've heard one discussion mention that you can give 10k keys away for $1000), and the developers make it back - and then some - on trading card sales, because that's all the game is good for.

I did not know that. I just filled the form to get the key, noticed that I already had the game and decided to give it away with the standard options.

Sch1sm

A big mistake MicroSoft is doing for not letting Remedy release Quantum Break on Steam. If you l am forced between the two, I will choose to get it on XBone rather than teh Windows Store. No way I am even using it.

It's not a mistake, I don't think. Microsoft is probably realising that they're becoming unattractive since we can expect nearly all of the releases are going to be on PC, as well. As an XBONE owner, I find it slightly irritating. It's like a $400 paper weight that I haven't booted up in a while because a good portion of its games so far have been released on PC simultaneously, or they were a timed exclusive alone.

What are the full, retail exclusive as stands?

1. Halo: MCC
  2. Halo 5
  3. Forza 5
  4. Forza 6
  5. Rare Replay
  6. Powerstar Golf
  7. Sunset Overdrive

Obviously I'm okay with Quantum Break being an exclusive, because I have the console, but even if I didn't I don't blame Microsoft for that move. A good amount of its library is available elsewhere.

yuraya

I give it less than 6 months before it releases on Steam. MS will give them permission to do it once that whole cross buy/save fad wears out and sales tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom