• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

Didn't MS buy majority of GOG.com last month? I'm guessing everything there is going to be WStore exclusive soon.

No, MS did not buy them out. Yet. You know it's going to happen sooner or later

I would actually be devastated if that happens. I trust and love GoG. It would be horrible to have things like Planescape Torment be exclusive to the windows store, with added DRM and no doubt the end of actually focusing on exploring PC classics and PC friendly initiative, and even supporting Mac / Linux

Arthea

What the hell are you doing with the game? I did a full BP/most achievs run and just barely broke 70 hours.

I thought we established it already, I don't use a guide, talk with everybody and do everything, and I still missed some stuff, your 70 hours pretty much mean only that it can be finished in that time, not that it's that long, because so far 8th chapter proves to be as long as the rest of the game, if you know what I mean.

It's not a mistake, I don't think. Microsoft is probably realising that they're becoming unattractive since we can expect nearly all of the releases are going to be on PC, as well. As an XBONE owner, I find it slightly irritating. It's like a $400 paper weight that I haven't booted up in a while because a good portion of its games so far have been released on PC simultaneously, or they were a timed exclusive alone.

What are the full, retail exclusive as stands?

1. Halo: MCC
  2. Halo 5
  3. Forza 5
  4. Forza 6
  5. Rare Replay
  6. Powerstar Golf
  7. Sunset Overdrive

Obviously I'm okay with Quantum Break being an exclusive, because I have the console, but even if I didn't I don't blame Microsoft for that move. A good amount of its library is available elsewhere.

Exclusives don't matter though. If you look at how the 360 did so well last gen, it did well not because it had a deep library of heavy hitting exclusives but because it was associated with some of the biggest multiplatform games of the generation.

People who whine about the XB1 not having exclusives must also be constantly blowing the dust off their PS4s because I haven't played through a single game on that thing since I played through Until Dawn with my wife months ago.

Personally, I've gotten a lot more use out of my xb1 than my PS4 since i bought it so i find it strange that people are being such children about this exclusive stuff

Sch1sm

That's some pretty hideous design.

Exclusives don't matter though. If you look at how the 360 did so well last gen, it did well not because it had a deep library of heavy hitting exclusives but because it was associated with some of the biggest multiplatform games of the generation.

People who whine about the XB1 not having exclusives must also be constantly blowing the dust off their PS4s because I haven't played through a single game on that thing since I played through Until Dawn with my wife months ago.

I disagree. If you asked the majority of people what games they recall from that generation, it'll probably be Gears or Halo.

It's not so much whining about the lack of exclusives, on my part, but the calibre of them hasn't been all that great. Master Chief Collection was broken. Two racing games? Great. Rare Replay was a good addition, but it's nothing that wasn't seen before. The console is already handicapped as stands by this whole 900p business people don't let go of when "comparing" it to the PS4.

E: This is the Steam thread, of course, so I'm going to stop here.

Bigby

VR stuff getting store pages before the Vive pre-orders open, just a few - I'm no lashman to post everything...

Nzyme32

Interesting that no big pub has shown anything big for VR for their coming games.

Full content lineups haven't been disclosed yet, but I'd say you want see much big movement from the big pubs till there is a larger audience next year or the year after. There will be some doing more indie like projects

VR is the new EyeToy

I think I can say with certainty that that will not be the case.

Pachimari

After I jumped 100% into 3D and bought a HMZ-T1 early for around $1000, I refuse to jump in early on VR. I honestly don't think it'll become popular, and just remain a niche market.

After I jumped 100% into 3D and bought a HMZ-T1 early for around $1000, I refuse to jump in early on VR. I honestly don't think it'll become popular, and just remain a niche market.

The HMZ-T1 is not a VR device.

Ever tried VR before? Its not just a "3d screen". Its a new "medium" or at least let you experience things with a presence never known before.

Nzyme32

The market will bear that out.

Personally, I've seen nothing so far that makes me believe it's worth such an investment. Doubt I ever will, frankly.

That's fair for now I think. Much of the issue is also actually using the thing to understand just how powerful and intoxicating the experience is. Once you understand that, you can see that even the visually simple and mechanically simple titles are entirely different in the medium, both in terms of fun and the longevity they can have.

VR is not even remotely similar. There is already more support for VR than there has been for 3DTV and like.

That's fair for now I think. Much of the issue is also actually using the thing to understand just how powerful and intoxicating the experience is. Once you understand that, you can see that even the visually simple and mechanically simple titles are entirely different in the medium, both in terms of fun and the longevity they can have.

Even if (a) I had the money to buy it, (b) thought there was anything significant worth playing on it at the moment, and (c) could deal with the usual issues associated with a device you wear on your head (i.e. weight), I have nowhere I can use the thing in my house. I suspect a lot of problems are going to arise when people actually get the product and have to start clearing a big enough space to use it effectively.

VR is likely the closest we'll get to a decent holodeck experience at home.

as a star trek/sci fi nerd, it's hard to not get excited for the promise that comes with VR. Whether that bears out or not, we'll see. But I haven't been this excited for a piece of gaming related tech since the jump from 2d sprites to polygons in the mid 90s.

Nope!

giphy.gif

1000 "free" Square Heroes keys restocked - 9 tasks required

Thanks but I was too slow.

Pachimari

The HMZ-T1 is not a VR device.

Ever tried VR before? Its not just a "3d screen". Its a new "medium" or at least let you experience things with a presence never known before.
My point was rather, that it is a new market. As interesting as it is, I have my doubts of it becoming more than a niche.

the first VR device to sell on Amazon will likely get my money. I'm sitting on a stupid amount of amazon credit.

also, who thought this inventory system in Grim Fandango was a good idea? It's infuriating, especially on the Vita where there's a bit of a hitch when using it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom