• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Final Fantasy IX starts right off the bat with a princess kidnapping, leading to an adventure that uncovers a conspiracy to pit all kingdoms against one another, which quickly escalates onto a plan to extinguish all existence in the universe. Its story pace is not slow at all, especially compared to the Trails games.

IDK, FF9 seemed slow to me in all regards, but maybe it's a matter of perception.

edited: talking about Denuvo, how many publishers removed it with time, I know DooM god it removed and Symphonia, although that was not really Denuvo but some branch of it?

prudislav

edited: talking about Denuvo, how many publishers removed it with time, I know DooM god it removed and Symphonia, although that was not really Denuvo but some branch of it?
Symphonia was Securom (with some weird shanenigans with generating exe)
Inside, bethesDoom and Homefront 2 - got denuvo removed by devs
Anno 2205 , Might and Magic: Heroes 7 - got denuvo added in patches

Arthea

Symphonia was Securom (with some weird shanenigans with generating exe)
Inside, bethesDoom and Homefront 2 - got denuvo removed by devs

That's very nice of them, I wish more devs and publishers did this, there is really no point in keeping it past initial release window, a year tops.

MUnited83

For you.
gotta give some props to the Homefront guys: Inside and DOOM had already been cracked anyway, but Homefront as far as I know was uncracked before this. I mean, I know the game isn't really going to sell much at this point but it's nice to see a dev willing to remove it even while it's uncracked.

Arthea

gotta give some props to the Homefront guys: Inside and DOOM had already been cracked anyway, but Homefront as far as I know was uncracked before this. I mean, I know the game isn't really going to sell much at this point but it's nice to see a dev willing to remove it even while it's uncracked.

now I'm tempted to buy Homefront just to encourage such a nice behaviour.
Unfortunately I really have no time for even more games.

prudislav

Symphonia was VMProtect, not Securom.
that was just misconception because of imperfect tool. (as parts of VMprotect mechanisms is in a way part of both Securom and Denuvo , they just disabled the weird exe-generating feature in Symphonia)

With the tool it showed vmprotect on the generated exes in game folder , which were really just a launchers and real exe launched fromsome temp folder under weird name and the tool identified it as Securom

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yeah, it looks like the first pirated copies began circulating more or less immediately after the patch was published.

prudislav

the homefront case is interesting it was prior to release of final DLC and end of support and could have been some wierd publicity stunt as the game was not to be quite a mess at launch but got patched quite nicely IMO.
And with all the gaming press-titutes jumping the shark with denuvo clickbait articles , they got quite a cover that its patched and denuvoless now

Arthea

Yeah, it looks like the first pirated copies began circulating more or less immediately after the patch was published.

aww, that sucks.
It just encourages publishers to use Denuvo.

Why the game piracy is even a thing still, when there are so many free and cheap games and sales all year around. And besides, if you have a PC able to run such games you have more than enough money to buy those games.
People, making no sense since forever.

Why the game piracy is even a thing still, when there are so many free and cheap games and sales all year around. And besides, if you have a PC able to run such games you have more than enough money to buy those games.
People, making no sense since forever.

Because some regions are fucked up with prices?

Dont eastern european countries have the same price as wealthy european countries? It doesnt make sense.
Look at Steam in China. Before they had regional pricing, no one bought games in $ from there. Far too expensive. Then Valve introduced regional pricing and now China is the fourth or fifth biggest market for Valve.

Or look at censorship stuff. There are games you cant buy in certain countries, because the publishers are too scared to release them there because of censorship laws. There are some games that are regionlocked, because of that, so people might just pirate them instead.

Ascheroth

Final Fantasy IX starts right off the bat with a princess kidnapping, leading to an adventure that uncovers a conspiracy to pit all kingdoms against one another, which quickly escalates onto a plan to extinguish all existence in the universe. Its story pace is not slow at all, especially compared to the Trails games.
One reason I love the Trails game is because they are 'slow' and start comparatively mundane.
Of course it's easy to see how this isn't for everyone :/

Tizoc

Styx 2 OT is up
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=231960089

Also I today found out that Galford in SamSho 1 has Guile's head
galford-ss111.gif
guile343.png

Arthea

meanwhile on steamspy
Sophie is back at 20K
and Firis - 4K

btw Hollow Knight is at 42K, I didn't know there are so many steamgafers!

Tomasety

It effectively prevents pre-release leaks, and for a great many years it was enough for most publishers to not bother with anything else. That was very useful.

It would be a really good idea to remove Denuvo from every game around 3-4 months after its release. That would give publishers enough time to not suffer big losses due to pìracy.
First months are always critical.

Also, it would be a nice gesture towards community. I believe it could be one of the best solution that actually can be done with Denuvo.

Hey.

Is there any good solution to let some games play on my second screen? My TV is a 4k TV and I usually have to alt-Enter the game, move the window to my second screen, then Fullscreen it again and choose 4k resolutions.
Not many games have a menu where I can choose where to output it.

I can also set the TV as a primary screen, but thats also not really a perfect solution.

Vuze

It would be a really good idea to remove Denuvo from every game around 3-4 months after its release. That would give publishers enough time to not suffer big losses due to pìracy.
First months are always critical.

Also, it would be a nice gesture towards community. I believe it could be one of the best solution that actually can be done with Denuvo.
Denuvo automatically expiring after a certain period of time would be the smartest and community-friendliest move. Pubs won't be arsed to remove it unless they feel it in their pocket and even then they'd have to pay staff for removing/maintaining the affected game.

@Chairmanchuck: Steam BPM? Ultimately it just sets the screen you set it to launch on to primary while you use it but that's probably the most userfriendly approach there is.

Tomasety

Denuvo automatically expiring after a certain period of time would be the smartest and community-friendliest move. Pubs won't be arsed to remove it unless they feel it in their pocket and even then they'd have to pay staff for removing/maintaining the affected game.

Exactly, that is my thought. It's a pity it won't happen but I would like to see it occur someday. I feel it could be a win-win for both sides; community and publishers/developers.

It's not the ideal solution but the least bad solution I can think of.

@Chairmanchuck: Steam BPM? Ultimately it just sets the screen you set it to launch on to primary while you use it but that's probably the most userfriendly approach there is.

Thanks. Will try that out.

Yeah, Homefront 2 had the most troubled development cycle you can imagine and the end result was apparently pretty poor. Reviews were bad and sometimes even cruel. And yet the publisher and developers stuck with it and have kept updating the game for the better part of a year. I don't know if they managed to fix everything but you have to give them a lot of credit for sticking with and trying to improve what is almost certainly a failed product. Not many devs do that.

MUnited83

For you.
Yeah, Homefront 2 had the most troubled development cycle you can imagine and the end result was apparently pretty poor. Reviews were bad and sometimes even cruel. And yet the publisher and developers stuck with it and have kept updating the game for the better part of a year. I don't know if they managed to fix everything but you have to give them a lot of credit for sticking with and trying to improve what is almost certainly a failed product. Not many devs do that.
I actually played through the game when it had a free weekend, after most issues were patched up and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's actually quite a decent game. Ended up buying it at a later sale after the news of even further support. I wish every Dev behaved like this when they release something messy, and put some work in to get a good product in the end.

Li Kao

Didn't know what to play, I'm quite depressed these days, tried one hour of Abzu and good God, I'm calm as fuck. Rock solid calm. Interesting experience.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Niiiiiiice. Was wondering if it'd release on Steam.
They made Resogun too right? If so It'd be cool to have that on Steam as well.

Sony owns Resogun, but it also owns Helldivers and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, so, hey, you never know!

I actually played through the game when it had a free weekend, after most issues were patched up and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's actually quite a decent game. Ended up buying it at a later sale after the news of even further support. I wish every Dev behaved like this when they release something messy, and put some work in to get a good product in the end.

I didn't get to try the free weekend but I did buy the game when it was pretty cheap. I didn't like Homefront much but I'll give this one a go at some point.

And yeah, I really do wish more developers stuck with their game if it was a disaster at launch (which is increasingly the case these days). Blizzard fixed Diablo 3 after launch and DICE fixed Battlefield 4 but those games sold 30 and 15 million copies respectively and had multi-billion dollar publishers behind them. These developers deserve extra credit because it's a small publisher and they're putting money into a commercial failure.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Tizoc, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 43 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

ABZU -- MB-A79F19AAD9782194 - Taken by Xanathus. 36 entrants total.
Akin -- MB-2471B43D3D3708C9 - Taken by zkylon. 5 entrants total.
Alchemist -- MB-B0B7FEDCD1D0EE61 - Taken by Eila. 3 entrants total.
Alien Soldier -- MB-9DACB7BF537A96DB - Taken by Dragon1893. 2 entrants total.
Artificial Defense -- MB-C908E6A08059623D - Taken by voodooray. 3 entrants total.
Ballistick -- MB-14C0554EAD07B960 - Taken by laserlaser. 3 entrants total.
Black Sand Drift -- MB-6A97755DA0C56D28
Bloodsports.tv -- MB-A52F0E873CD9526E - Taken by voodooray. 3 entrants total.
Castle of Illusion -- MB-A8390E69FC7A9EA0 - Taken by Madn. 13 entrants total.
City Quest -- MB-708E2F09C386C08B
Deus Ex Machina 2 -- MB-F724D0F7A7D19615 - Taken by voodooray. 1 entrants total.
Disgaea 2 PC -- MB-FE5819BDD5B405DB - Taken by Kurt Russell. 64 entrants total.
Earth Overclocked -- MB-F81674A06FDD9979 - Taken by kulapik. 1 entrants total.
Elliot Quest -- MB-3756E2C97BD1A19B - Taken by vermadas. 7 entrants total.
Enclave -- MB-5E7898610364FE5F
Evoland 2 -- MB-79FE71568A0D51F9 - Taken by Zeeman. 8 entrants total.
Explodemon -- MB-1E619132DC1F3D25
Fighters Unleashed -- MB-F3FEC2E750E16982 - Taken by Mackenzie 92. 2 entrants total.

Flat Heroes -- MB-3529EC03B151974D
Golden Axe II -- MB-BB796921B072B8CF
Gorky 17 -- MB-7F21A26226B7B815 - Taken by JCG. 1 entrants total.
HAUNTED: Halloween 85 Steam Key -- MB-DACF39A7D57732CA - Taken by xelios. 1 entrants total.
Husk -- MB-6C78DC1215C64310 - Taken by Chairmanchuck. 4 entrants total.
Little King's Story -- MB-7EC37294874ADED5 - Taken by rostocker. 60 entrants total.
Marlow Briggs and The Mask of Death -- MB-65CD0864F1F2BF4F - Taken by Cels. 8 entrants total.
NAL is alive -- MB-F562728587865D36

One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 -- MB-D911690A281900BB - Taken by PaulSane. 18 entrants total.
Project Highrise -- MB-410BC70EFA3D79C3 - Taken by Shalashaska. 6 entrants total.
RIVE -- MB-E9CA0BEA75D51114 - Taken by bloke. 6 entrants total.
Rack n ruin -- MB-082B5C17CDBF9921 - Taken by Last Baron. 2 entrants total.
Shining Force -- MB-DECC86BE19AC41CF
Shovel Knight -- MB-29660B804D0597B5 - Taken by Dangerblade. 48 entrants total.
SkyTime -- MB-F391FD13782B6600
Stealth Bastard Deluxe -- MB-1D757441851E0ECA - Taken by prudislav. 3 entrants total.
Super Cyborg -- MB-25A6A0538A988FF2
The Silent Age -- MB-2828918BAD432FC6 - Taken by Shalashaska. 2 entrants total.
TurnOn -- MB-8EBE1E68C5E99EAA - Taken by dot. 2 entrants total.
Two Worlds -- MB-080544D0634D99C9
Vanquish: The Adventures of Lady Exton -- MB-DCC640026607C297 - Taken by Catshade. 2 entrants total.
Victor Vran -- MB-7563D916278F6CB5 - Taken by fallout. 6 entrants total.
Wojdan (Arabic language only!) -- MB-DEEE30E6A34A2A4F - Taken by purseowner. 4 entrants total.
Zi -- MB-CD513BDBE92A5CB9
Zombie Boom -- MB-8B280634240E4A4C

t1489410688z1.png

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Man, Gaming side is hilarious.

"Those dumb fanboys are so dumb acting like fanboys! Not like us who are totally not fanboys of what those dumb fanboys are attacking!"

you dont need to go to apocalypse scenario with it. Going back to previous DRM from the deam behind denuvo is enough .....
It was also said to be benign most of the time (especially the online version of it ) , until it was proven not to be (or maybe they were just tying upt the security to teh point of no return). And nowadays if you want to play securom game you need to either disable some windows security policies or use a cracked binaries. (for both disk and online version of DRM) 😎 Only small fraction of them got it patched out
Oof, even at the time SecuROM was the pits, it started making people's disc drives malfunction and had issues with outright locking people out of their games. It was malware.

well yeah for most people with desktops and optic lines its kinda invisible most of the time, but still they are cases its not. Especially for me as a person traveling a lot, playing mostly on laptop at the times I have no connection (when i have connection , i have other stuff to work through). Also I share my game accounts with my friends which makes denuvo quite pain in the ass.
Also these DRMs like denuvo are kinda trigger based and locked onto hardware ids ... so they can easily backfire ... with antipiracy triggers (aka causing bugs in gameplay) triggering even for legit customers .... (iirc it happened couple times in history but the thing is usual customer will see it as a bug not DRM problem )
I completely sympathize with people in edge cases that just get screwed in situations like this. DRM that does do things like lock into your hardware ID are stupid as well, but Denuvo doesn't do that to my knowledge, it just has the 5 activations per day limit. But it's not unreasonable to expect occasional internet access I don't think, especially when it's a game delivered through online digital distribution in the first place. I fully understand frustrations from people that fall through those cracks, I just don't believe it's affecting enough to result in the ire that I see in places y'know?

Unsure if it was already announced, but Nex Machina is coming to Steam, self-published by Housemarque themselves.
Rad. What I've seen and heard of this on GiantBomb had it looking up my alley.

L.O.R.D

question about windows 10 games,where are the files located?
for example asphalt 8,i think it's running on intel CPU,not my geoforce card,i went to nvidia control panel and can't see the game,maybe because it's not an .exe game?

how to force uwp games to run on geforce card?

Knurek

I'll join the general consensus on those Evo portraits. I like them a lot less than the originals.

That said, I generally prefer older Falcom art. This stuff is awesome

EVO was done by Kadokawa, I'm pretty sure Falcom only licensed the games to them.

Also, says he prefers older Falcom art, proceeds to post newer Falcom art.
bunksmh.gif

Now we're talking. :p

prudislav

I completely sympathize with people in edge cases that just get screwed in situations like this. DRM that does do things like lock into your hardware ID are stupid as well, but Denuvo doesn't do that to my knowledge, it just has the 5 activations per day limit. But it's not unreasonable to expect occasional internet access I don't think, especially when it's a game delivered through online digital distribution in the first place.
iirc the dbdata file that is generated after first launch is the denuvo licence file which generates after the launch and includes sutff like HW ids of various parts (iirc mostly CPUid) aswell as client account and some other stuff. And iirc its the file that has expiration date which causes the need for periodical activation (iirc it happened even after some windows update , so i guess there is more saved in it than just cpuid).

Who knows , i got bad experience with periodical licence checks with GTA 5, that it somehow bugged after some time i wasn't online on that laptop and upon reactivation it said the key is already in use and doesnt fit my account and didnt allow me to play it (even though on desktop it worked fine) . Took the support couple weeks to fix it :-(

I just don't believe it's affecting enough to result in the ire that I see in places y'know?
right now i guess, maybe i am just paranoid ,but for me the fact it can happen even once is enough to push the game from instabuy to sale bracket. ... but i am pretty sure it will ,while tightening the security, one day go beyond the "begign for most" stage to annoying for legit customers. (i guess it will be when it starts to further limit stuff like family sharing, it even started to enforce regin locks in Wildlands)

(UWP is already at that stage) Its just the cycle of DRMs and been happening for years

Tizoc

GG keys for Styx 2 go up in about 7 hours' time.

Gonna finish up DQ Heroes by tomorrow, that'd by my 60th game then I can work on Styx 2 and Hollow Knight.

Echoplx

Looks like the latest beta client might have updated the audio codec used for voice chat, anyone tried it out yet?

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta#announcements

General
Fixed issues with voice quality in games using Steamworks voice APIs
Fixed voice chat being quiet or choppy when talking to older Steam clients
Improved quality of voice chat when all parties are running the latest client
Fixed a hang or crash at startup related to bad audio device drivers
Fixed a long shutdown pause for users who subscribe to a lot of workshop items

Steam Controller
Fixed selection issues when moving back to the center zone of radial menus

Jawmuncher

IX is my favourite Final Fantasy game. I've never really understood the speed complaints. :/

We didn't notice back in the day, but if you play the original PSX version now with no sort of speed loading and such. The load in and load out from battles is pretty ridiculous compared to 7 & &. The

I really want Nier but $79.99 CAD! I remember when games were $59.99..like last year.

I guess I will get Andromeda as I can get off CDKeys for $59.99CAD and will get Nier at first sale.

ModBot said:
Instructions for bobnowhere:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

La-Mulana -- MB-26DD72621E28A409 - Taken by Dream_Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom