• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpekata

Banned
The Trails series will always be niche. I love them, but they are very slow games, especially FC and Cold Steel 1, with only their closing hours often breaking cliches or being very interesting. They are one of the few continuity heavy JRPG series (hell, game series in general given how many often try to welcome newcomers).

And their mechanics, at best, approach being "fine." LoH series is mostly bland when it comes to the battle system. Cold Steel is an improvement but not by much (very easy to cheese on normal modes, a tedious slog on higher ones). As much as Falcom tends to nail mechanics in their other games, they've never really managed to make their turn based systems very interesting.

illusionary

So it is coming to PC? Hadn't been following this game and thought it was PS4 only. Good news!

I think the latest that we've hear is just that it's coming "first" to PS4, with no specifics of which, if any, other platforms that it might appear on, or when that might be.

Cels

I think the latest that we've hear is just that it's coming "first" to PS4, with no specifics of which, if any, other platforms that it might appear on, or when that might be.

yea sony ireland on twitter in responding to a query first said it was exclusive to ps4, but then backtracked to timed exclusivity. that was the first time we learned for sure it's coming to other platforms, so it should be coming to PC. it's an activision game after all

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

1979 Invasion Earth -- MB-D759132F0027D0FB - Taken by Eila
Alpacapaca Dash -- MB-6D28897871B936BC - Taken by Rockin' Ranger
Drunken Fight Simulator -- MB-34AB8A860CDF57F8 - Taken by MaxiLive
Greenwood the Last Ritual -- MB-6267E2B32BC814CC - Taken by Hakkelus
Jelly Killer -- MB-DA87C96DF2A31C07 - Taken by dot
Mortifero Motus -- MB-AED42BCEB0075AE7 - Taken by Baron_Calamity
My Pet Rock -- MB-8C79181F658BD2D1 - Taken by darkchewie
One Man is Not No Man -- MB-B904331B1222DA79 - Taken by Belgarion
Panzer Warfare -- MB-C20EB4A61B0C04A6 - Taken by Vuze
Sticker Craft -- MB-8AB1379F66032BC7 - Taken by Loptous
The Last Hope: Trump vs Mafia -- MB-DEDD26745BC2AD7A - Taken by fuzzy123

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yes.
It's one of those places where you wonder if there's something you're missing. Like, I found a broken egg hidden away but it didn't seem to be there for any reason.

its there to remind you that
his race is dead and the world is shit and you are shit so fuck off and be sad and desperate
:(

Its like
Dark Souls
but...you know... with cute bugs ;_;

For how generally effective it is, Denuvo is about one of the most benign DRMs to exist. It's always weird to me how big of a stink it causes despite this. Why would that be? :thinking:

Another thought: Despite its main comparison point being Metroidvanias, I'm actually finding Hollow Knight (the 3.5 hours I've put into it thus far) feeling more like Shovel Knight in a large exploratory map.

Momentary

Banned
UMvC3 is a fun game, but there are some MONSTERS online even at beginner levels. I'm glad I supported them porting this over, but this is one fighting game I'm good with not putting time into.

I think I'll be happier with starting out with Infinite.

Pachimari

If Crash Bandicoot is coming to PC later then I can wait. And my patience towards a Dragon Quest Builders port knows no boundaries either.

I'm thinking of buying Planet Coaster. But it's rarely on sale is it?

Teggy

Is there some kind of known performance hit with Denuvo? What's the hostility about. Not like simply being on Steam isnt DRM.

Is there some kind of known performance hit with Denuvo? What's the hostility about. Not like simply being on Steam isnt DRM.
There had been some nebulous scuttlebutt about it dropping performance, but comparisons within games that have since had it removed show that to not be the case.

Amzin

For how generally effective it is, Denuvo is about one of the most benign DRMs to exist. It's always weird to me how big of a stink it causes despite this. Why would that be? :thinking:

Another thought: Despite its main comparison point being Metroidvanias, I'm actually finding Hollow Knight (the 3.5 hours I've put into it thus far) feeling more like Shovel Knight in a large exploratory map.

It kinda did feel like that at first, but the further you get and the more you unlock the less Shovel Knighty it gets and felt way more Vania to me.

Corpekata

Banned
The issues with Denuvo are not personal. It's a long term thing, as well as fixing/modding oriented. If Dark Souls, for instance, had released with Denuvo, a lot of the fixes appllied to it probably would have never existed.

Denuvo is something that is okay in a perfect world where companies release perfect PC ports and never go out of business, and Windows 10 is the last Windows iteration. This ain't that world.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think there's been stories of denuvo running while games were closed or something?

i forget

in my experience it hasn't been problematic, it'd be better not to have anything but it works so can't really argue with developers using it

Thought the hate was more about how it checks with a server and limited activations.
AFAIK it needs to check once at your first start-up (and perhaps on occasion every now and then afterwards), and the only limit in activations are 5 per day.

I just, I dunno, I get the ideal of wanting no DRM and it's weird to come to the defense of one because yeah, no DRM is definitely preferable. But uh, it's just the reality of things and I'd be surprised if a large majority of one's Steam library doesn't have some layer of DRM (including CEG). So when it seems like Denuvo specifically gets pointed out and given a big stink on in various forums, but also seems to have one of the better success rates with preventing cracking, it just seems like it's hard to draw any other conclusion than the obvious one here.

-Deimos

ef1398f06133dbb397a0d4c267c5e02e1411526001_full.png

Anime Sloths FTW

Anime has an answer for everything, doesn't it?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wait there's a PC confirmation?

With that said I hate the wumpa fruit animation :/

Reportedly:

"4K on PS4 and PC, at sixty frames-per-second" - rep drops the PS4 Pro resolution + PC port for Crash I guess?

I expect the game to come to the PC in addition to the X1 and possibly Switch, but in the absence of an official announcement of additional platforms, there's the (admittedly faint) possibility that the rep misspoke.

MUnited83

For you.

I wouldn't say that a DRM that prevents you from playing offline and will make games unplayable when their servers shut down in the future is "benign".

My Shepard decked some woman reporter. It was a little too much renegade so I had to scumm it. It was hilarious though because I didn't see it coming. I thought he was going to finger wag her or something.

I then proceeded to whore my name out to every shop in the Citadel.

I wouldn't say that a DRM that prevents you from playing offline and will make games unplayable when their servers shut down in the future is "benign".
If Steam's servers shut down, I don't imagine things would look too great there either, but if we're swallowing that pill I don't think the fatalistic route is enough to be resolutely condemning towards it.

Denuvo does not prevent you from playing offline from what I understand. I'm not too clear on the specifics of it, but here's what I gathered from a FAQ from Total War: WARHAMMER's inclusion of Denuvo:
Will Total War: WARHAMMER require you to be always online?

No.

The game will require initial online authentication via Steam during installation as per all Total War games since EMPIRE. At this point Denuvo will also automatically authenticate. You can then decide to play in offline mode if you wish. Other games sometimes need to be always online, but this isn't a Denuvo or Total War: WARHAMMER requirement and doesn't apply to this game.

So I'm not sure if it needs further authentications after the initial one, but even in that case I feel for those that have to be offline for long stretches, but they're facing more hurdles than being able to play 50+GB games from online DD game services.

Corpekata

Banned
Comparing Denuvo to Steam DRM strikes me as extremely disingenuous at best given Steam DRM does not interfere with games near the extent that Denuvo does, and is very easy to circumvent.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Kata, less Denuvo bashing, more Hollow Knight shilling damn it.

Comparing Denuvo to Steam DRM strikes me as extremely disingenuous at best given Steam DRM does not interfere with games near the extent that Denuvo does, and is very easy to circumvent.

I am not comparing them on a one to one basis, just responding to the apocalypse scenario of companies going out of business. The thing with Denuvo is that in practical use cases, it doesn't interfere with the games, it's completely invisible as far as I can tell.

I mean, that does seem to be what he's implied a couple times, even though I imagine people like myself and Bernardo own more Denuvo games than most of the "you just wanna pirate it" crowd.

To clarify I'm not saying that anyone who has any shade to throw at it is a pirate. That's ridiculous. I just see a disproportionate amount of upset over it on places like the Steam game forums and Reddit that it seems more than a little suspect given how outside of specific (but completely valid, don't get me wrong) cases it's something that will go completely unnoticed.

Teeth

The one thing you can applaud a functioning Denuvo for, is that it prevents publishers from blaming piracy for problems with sales or the PC platform on the whole.

That said, I'm not a big fan of its prevention of modding.

I also wish that it was mandated that it had to be patched out after 8 months or a year or whatever.

MUnited83

For you.
If Steam's servers shut down, I don't imagine things would look too great there either, but if we're swallowing that pill I don't think the fatalistic route is enough to be resolutely condemning towards it.

Denuvo does not prevent you from playing offline from what I understand. I'm not too clear on the specifics of it, but here's what I gathered from a FAQ from Total War: WARHAMMER's inclusion of Denuvo:

So I'm not sure if it needs further authentications after the initial one, but even in that case I feel for those that have to be offline for long stretches, but they're facing more hurdles than being able to play 50+GB games from online DD game services.

It requires further authentications. Meanwhile Steam CEG games can be played offline for the rest of your life.

Denuvo also has a way bigger chance of going out of business that Valve has.

Not to mention they are exactly the same guys that made SecuRom. Ya know, that completely utterly broken DRM that still breaks games to this day, and that is so bad that Windows 10 considers it a virus and prevents the use of it on discs?

It requires further authentications. Meanwhile Steam CEG games can be played offline for the rest of your life.

Denuvo also has a way bigger chance of going out of business that Valve has.

Not to mention they are exactly the same guys that made SecuRom. Ya know, that completely utterly broken DRM that still breaks games to this day, and that is so bad that Windows 10 considers it a virus and prevents the use of it on discs?
That's fair, and I'd just prefer no DRM if at all possible and I'm not saying that Denuvo is something I prefer to have than not, but while there's always some level of noise regarding DRM on forums, do you think Denuvo is a notable outlier and inconveniences the purchaser in a way that would warrant generating more forum buzz when it's used? Have you encountered any hiccups with activations after the initial one? Has it actually been noticeable to you at all in any of the games you own with it aside from simply knowing it exists there because the information is out there on the internet?

Edit: Oh and yes, SecuROM can diaf.

Durante

I'll join the general consensus on those Evo portraits. I like them a lot less than the originals.

That said, I generally prefer older Falcom art. This stuff is awesome:

If Steam's servers shut down, I don't imagine things would look too great there either
The difference is that steam DRM is very weak. Which is a good thing in that contet.

Durante

Funny enough but is it? If it's trivial to work around, then its entire existence is pointless. If it's only there being bloat towards legitimate users, why have it there at all?
It effectively prevents pre-release leaks, and for a great many years it was enough for most publishers to not bother with anything else. That was very useful.

It effectively prevents pre-release leaks, and for a great many years it was enough for most publishers to not bother with anything else. That was very useful.
Ah, so in that regard it would be better off to just have it removed at release. Though it would be nice if CEG inspired enough confidence across the board to be the only thing publishers found necessary. Piracy is so passé.

Teeth

Ah, so in that regard it would be better off to just have it removed at release. Though it would be nice if CEG inspired enough confidence across the board to be the only thing publishers found necessary. Piracy is so passé.

DRM is not there to prevent any and all piracy. DRM is generally implemented to prevent the normalization of piracy.

There are countries wherein piracy is so normalized, that the very thought of paying for software (or paying MSRP for it, rather than cut rate pirated software) doesn't even enter the casual user's mind. It becomes "the way things are", normalized, generally initiated by standard software rates being so expensive that no normal citizens can pay for them. The software becomes devalued by its comparative astronomical sticker price. The level of effort to overcome piracy is dwarfed the amount of work output to actually purchase legit software.

Joe Average, who has just enough knowledge to know that he may be at risk by downloading pirated software (or a crack) from some place that has the perception of being shady, needs that push to actually layout $20 for a copy of Ghost Recon 83. If no software ever had any DRM, he'd just make a copy off his friend. It would be easier than getting it off Steam.

Fair point. (Now to stop spamming this thread with my posts alternating between everyone else's and actually do something resembling productivity at work)

MUnited83

For you.
That's fair, and I'd just prefer no DRM if at all possible and I'm not saying that Denuvo is something I prefer to have than not, but while there's always some level of noise regarding DRM on forums, do you think Denuvo is a notable outlier and inconveniences the purchaser in a way that would warrant generating more forum buzz when it's used? Have you encountered any hiccups with activations after the initial one? Has it actually been noticeable to you at all in any of the games you own with it aside from simply knowing it exists there because the information is out there on the internet?

Edit: Oh and yes, SecuROM can diaf.
I actually had several problems while trying to play Denuvo games, which is why im so adamant against it. Couple with the fact that it basically makes games have a expiration date with some games still remaining uncracked, plus the limitation of modding, and I'm not a fan at all.

Arthea

The Trails series will always be niche. I love them, but they are very slow games, especially FC and Cold Steel 1, with only their closing hours often breaking cliches or being very interesting. They are one of the few continuity heavy JRPG series (hell, game series in general given how many often try to welcome newcomers).

And their mechanics, at best, approach being "fine." LoH series is mostly bland when it comes to the battle system. Cold Steel is an improvement but not by much (very easy to cheese on normal modes, a tedious slog on higher ones). As much as Falcom tends to nail mechanics in their other games, they've never really managed to make their turn based systems very interesting.

Many games are very slow, heck FF9 is extremely slow, nobody calls it niche for that. The problem with tLoH series that when we get to play them they already are old games, with exception of Steel.

I don't agree, tLoH batte systems are fine, maybe no the best out there, but not bad either, and being fine is OK, many games have bad battle systems, most popular games almost all, so no matter how stupefying this is, good systems doesn't sell games at all.

Many games are very slow, heck FF9 is extremely slow, nobody calls it niche for that. The problem with tLoH series that when we get to play them they already are old games, with exception of Steel.

Final Fantasy IX starts right off the bat with a princess kidnapping, leading to an adventure that uncovers a conspiracy to pit all kingdoms against one another, which quickly escalates onto a plan to extinguish all existence in the universe. Its story pace is not slow at all, especially compared to the Trails games.

prudislav

I am not comparing them on a one to one basis, just responding to the apocalypse scenario of companies going out of business.
you dont need to go to apocalypse scenario with it. Going back to previous DRM from the deam behind denuvo is enough .....
It was also said to be benign most of the time (especially the online version of it ) , until it was proven not to be (or maybe they were just tying upt the security to teh point of no return). And nowadays if you want to play securom game you need to either disable some windows security policies or use a cracked binaries. (for both disk and online version of DRM) 😎 Only small fraction of them got it patched out
The thing with Denuvo is that in practical use cases, it doesn't interfere with the games, it's completely invisible as far as I can tell.
well yeah for most people with desktops and optic lines its kinda invisible most of the time, but still they are cases its not. Especially for me as a person traveling a lot, playing mostly on laptop at the times I have no connection (when i have connection , i have other stuff to work through). Also I share my game accounts with my friends which makes denuvo quite pain in the ass.
Also these DRMs like denuvo are kinda trigger based and locked onto hardware ids ... so they can easily backfire ... with antipiracy triggers (aka causing bugs in gameplay) triggering even for legit customers .... (iirc it happened couple times in history but the thing is usual customer will see it as a bug not DRM problem )

In the end just the history of the company and experience with their previous DRMs are just enough for me not to be fan of Denuvo , let alone when i got couple times it locked me out of the games (aka 2nd week on boat trip all denuvo games no matter the client became locked). Nicest case was when Ubisoft added denuvo to Anno 2205 and heroes 7 - there was ton of people having denuvo errors(masked as uplay errors obviously unless you clicked on 3 "more info" buttons) Enough for me to put games with it from "buy bracket" to "wait for sale bracket" ... its usually for the best anyway as later down the line its cheaper, patched and content complete.

I actually had several problems while trying to play Denuvo games, which is why im so adamant against it. Couple with the fact that it basically makes games have a expiration date with some games still remaining uncracked, plus the limitation of modding, and I'm not a fan at all.
+1
There always a time in DRMs lifecywhen it starts to battle the crackers to the point of alienating the customers (there are some wierd shaneningans in wildlands where denuvo protects the region lock and you can change language by hex like before).. its a circle

Good thing in all of this is that recently i got quite AAA production fatigue as it became all samey to me and not fun anymore as i was forcing myself to at elast finish the games. Now because of D , i statred to ignore most of AAA stuff and tried tons crazy inovated indies , i would never gave a chance before .... which later resurrected my enjoyinment of games overall and now i am slowly getting back to AAA stuff i missed and having fun doing so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom