• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

Maybe I'm weird, but this sounds awesome. And as opposed to those two games, this seems logical to me, inspired by nature. I mean, that is how snakes move around stuff. You don't see octopodes walking around. (Well, I hope you don't)

I mean it definitely sounds hard to master:
  • camera control with the right stick
  • (horizontal) head control with the left stick, relatively to the position of the camera
  • right trigger to extend the body
  • press A button to move the head upward
  • release A button to move the head downward
  • physics-based game
  • left trigger to tighten the grip
  • press Y button to have the bird lift up the tail

Edit: Maybe it is not that hard to remember actually, if you think of "A" as the jump button.

Humble Store appears to be borked.

Use the search feature.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/search/sort/newest

Worst thread title... who comes up with this stuff? ;)

On that topic though: what's up with GMG cancelling their Ultimate Marvel Versus Capcom 3 preorders?
LLShC.gif

Is there anywhere to get it now that's not for full retail on the Steam storefront?

Humble Store appears to be borked.

Prices glitches? Otherwise, why do we care that it's borked at the moment? :)

Mivey

I mean it definitely sounds hard to master:
Since this is a puzzle game, mastering it is what you get to learn. It likely starts with easier stuff and ramps it up from there. Of course, designing good puzzle games is an art form on it self, so not sure, especially for a new dev. But I'll keep an open mind.

Nillansan

If Sony was dumb enough to give Square Enix money for this then I'm not even mad.

While that would be hilarious, I think they worked out some sort marketing deal with Square Enix. The delay is probably solely on Square Enix, I heard murmurs about finding a proper DRM solution or some stupid shit like that.

Durante

Is this game actually that great? A lot of gaffers seem to be into it.
I don't know if the second one is great, but..

My NeoGAF 2010 GOTY post said:
1. Nier; What can I say, the mix of gameplay elements combined with the music and story just resonated extremely well with me.
2. Alpha Protocol; Like Deus Ex with better dialog.
3. Atelier Rorona: Alchemist of Arland; Gust does not disappoint.
4. 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors; Some horrible dialog, but a puzzle game with puzzles that actually make sense is always a joy. And the story is awesome crazy and crazy awesome.
5. Mass Effect 2; It wasn't much of an RPG but it still gripped me.
6. Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Chiru; It has an official thread so it should count as a game. Got me more excited than most things on this list so it would be a shame not to include it.
7. Touhou 12.8 The great Fairy Wars; Delicious danmaku with a twist.
8. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light; My favourite co-op game this year.
9. Sin & Punishment 2: Star Successor; Oh wow.
10. Starcraft II; Not as good as it should have been, but still a very polished and mechanically sound game.

I can understand umineko and touhou, but how come Atelier Rorona isn't even on the nominations list?

Sadly not worthy of this list: Valkyria Chronicles 2 and FF13. Both not bad games, but rather disappointing entries in their respective franchises.

Not yet played: New Vegas.

Teggy

I beat nier and barely remember anything about it.
I'd play it again though if they ported it.

I just played it and it's kind of an odd thing. Combat is passable but the characters are good. But to be honest I think the best thing about it is the insane lore that can't even be found unless you read supplemental material, which is a bit silly.

Looking forward to Automata, tho.

Jawmuncher

I just played it and it's kind of an odd thing. Combat is passable but the characters are good. But to be honest I think the best thing about it is the insane lore that can't even be found unless you read supplemental material, which is a bit silly.

I didn't even touch the lore stuff. I don't think I even went to see the other endings. I beat the game, shrugged and moved on.

gngf123

I should not have checked OpenCritic. There is currently a game with a score of 97/100 out of 46 reviews...

Meanwhile, Hollow Knight has 2 reviews and no score: http://www.opencritic.com/game/4002/hollow-knight

And The Night in the Woods has 12 reviews and a pretty decent score (thankfully, all is not lost in video game journalism): http://www.opencritic.com/game/1685/night-in-the-woods

Don't worry. When Hollow Knight gets a console release, it'll suddenly get reviews from every major outlet. As always happens with smaller PC indie games.

EdmondD

A lot of that lore was supposed to be for a game that would have helped flesh out the world of Nier and provide more back story but it was canceled. That's why there is so much supplemental material.

Jawmuncher

If you didn't saw the other endings you didnt beat the game

I saw the credits so I beat the game. 👏👏👏👏

I dunno what I was doing at the time when I played nier. I know I was in Colorado. I must've been playing it with something around the corner, so I didn't care about it. I even knew about the other endings but the whole have to play like half the game again turned me off. Like I said I won't go back to it now as is, but if automata doing well really gets us a port I'd try it again.

Hektor

I saw the credits so I beat the game. 👏👏👏👏

I dunno what I was doing at the time when I played nier. I know I was in Colorado. I must've been playing it with something around the corner, so I didn't care about it. I even knew about the other endings but the whole have to play like half the game again turned me off. Like I said I won't go back to it now as is, but if automata doing well really gets us a port I'd try it again.

This logic doesn't apply to Yoko Taro games. You've never beaten them by the credits. You missed a lot more than just the endings, around an hour worth of cutscenes among other things.

If you're gonna approach NieR: Automata with the same mindset you literally have no reason to bootup the game at all

I should not have checked OpenCritic. There is currently a game with a score of 97/100 out of 46 reviews...

Meanwhile, Hollow Knight has 2 reviews and no score: http://www.opencritic.com/game/4002/hollow-knight

And The Night in the Woods has 12 reviews and a pretty decent score (thankfully, all is not lost in video game journalism): http://www.opencritic.com/game/1685/night-in-the-woods

All game "journalists" are too busy writing articles about what Switch cartridges taste like, what happens when you feed them to your cat, why you should not take your Switch with you under the shower etc.

All game "journalists" are too busy writing articles about what Switch cartridges taste like, what happens when you feed them to your cat, why you should not take your Switch with you under the shower etc.

also why you shouldn't drop your Switch on a concrete floor then wonder why it breaks

If you're gonna approach NieR: Automata with the same mindset you literally have no reason to bootup the game at all

How can you say this without having played and completed it?

Based on the demo, the game seems much more in line with the idea of a platinum game in the NieR universe rather than a NieR game with platinum gameplay... but I haven't really looked into the game much other than that at this point, so I could be unaware of information that indicates otherwise (which is why I'm asking).

Ascheroth

Based on the demo, the game seems much more in line with the idea of a platinum game in the NieR universe rather than a NieR game with platinum gameplay... but I haven't really looked into the game much other than that at this point, so I could be unaware of information that indicates otherwise (which is why I'm asking).
He did play and complete it already.

Jawmuncher

This logic doesn't apply to Yoko Taro games. You've never beaten them by the credits. You missed a lot more than just the endings, around an hour worth of cutscenes among other things.

Nah I get that. I'm saying at the time I didn't feel like that. I'm playing Red Haze ATM and that has 26 endings. So yeah, I get the whole "you saw 1 ending isn't beating the game".

Hektor

I have played and completed it

CyonZ7O.png

Nah I get that. I'm saying at the time I didn't feel like that. I'm playing Red Haze ATM and that has 26 endings. So yeah, I get the whole "you saw 1 ending isn't beating the game".

If that#s the case, alright. It's just that a lot of people legitimately don't understand it.

Kudo

I'm pretty sure Hektor has completed it by now, it's been released in Japan for days now and that version has English text.

I have played and completed it

CyonZ7O.png

Ah, fair enough... so are there multiple paths and endings and such then? Or is it more linear?
How hard was the platinum?

I'm honestly surprised you didn't wait for the Steam/PC version. :lol

I'm pretty sure Hektor has completed it by now, it's been released in Japan for days now and that version has English text.

Ah, okay -- I was going to say, isn't the PS4 version in most of the world out next week? Didn't think he'd have gotten a JPN copy.

Hektor

Ah, fair enough... so are there multiple paths and endings and such then? Or is it more linear?
How hard was the platinum?

I'm honestly surprised you didn't wait for the Steam/PC version. :lol

In regards to your first question:
There are A LOT of endings, the major ones you unlock in a linear fashion, the rest is up to you

About the trophy: Very easy.

I'ma massive fan of the first game personally, so i really couldn't wait.

Vlad

Maybe I'm weird, but this sounds awesome. And as opposed to those two games, this seems logical to me, inspired by nature. I mean, that is how snakes move around stuff. You don't see octopodes walking around. (Well, I hope you don't)

I haven't played Octodad yet, but from what I've seen, it looks like it's not meant to really be "mastered". I'm sure there's Octodad speedrunners out there, but I always got the impression that it was intentionally clumsy, kind of like Surgeon Simulator.

I watched that Snake Pass video, and it didn't strike me as too convoluted at all. Ideally, it should have some sort of learning curve to master it.

I haven't played Octodad yet, but from what I've seen, it looks like it's not meant to really be "mastered". I'm sure there's Octodad speedrunners out there, but I always got the impression that it was intentionally clumsy, kind of like Surgeon Simulator.

I watched that Snake Pass video, and it didn't strike me as too convoluted at all. Ideally, it should have some sort of learning curve to master it.

For some reason the way people are talking about Snake Pass in here is reminding me of Infinite Air and how people said the controls were too complex (but those who mastered them seem to love it): http://store.steampowered.com/app/488300/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom