• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibuki

Banned
I only do the side stories that I naturally run into. Like the kid with the video game.
Only on Chapter 5 atm.

Oh man, that sucks. I enjoyed the hell out of it by using a guide to get me to the substories in each chapter. You are going to miss so much, and the substories are the best part of the game imo.

Jawmuncher

Oh man, that sucks. I enjoyed the hell out of it by using a guide to get me to the substories in each chapter. You are going to miss so much, and the substories are the best part of the game imo.

It's ok.
My entire gaming career has been missing the best part of games.

MUnited83

For you.
Gotta buy banned game 2 then soon.

Banned game 1 is kinda boring. Played banned game 1 yesterday for a bit and it feels like a cheap rpg maker game with torture mechanics.

I played through Banned Game 1 The Sequel on the Vita. It's alright-ish. Short dungeon crawler with a bit too much grinding. Enjoyable enough if you're a dungeon crawler fan I guess.

It's also a big example of shoe-horned fanservice for no reason. It has those "scenes", but that's basically the only "raunchy" part of the game ( well, other than the outfits). The dialogue and plot is basically free of it for the most part (save for one character that throws some innuendos from time to time, but they are really tame innuendos). The dialogue is actually decently written and the plot actually gets to some serious/dark places towards the ending.
The "scenes" actually make the game worse because they are repetitive shitty minigames, and they really don't fit at all into the rest of the game.

Same thing for Banned Card Game. It's a decent card game, and the design of most main characters it's actually pretty cool and not really fanservicey. But then you get to the cards, and the cards have "those" designs...for literally no reason.

Annubis

So... I found THE thing I needed to do to progress in Atelier Sophie and I guess me trying for a while broke the sequence or something because I jumped 2 main story thing ahead.
I didn't even do the thing the game wanted me to do before hitting the next story event.

Oh well, nothing broken, just the order being a little weirder.

I didn't think so either, but I'll make up for my mistake all the same

ModBot said:
Instructions for Spring-Loaded:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Nier: Automata (let me know if you do ending E) -- MB-0D56CF9B12F51350 - Taken by rostocker. 122 entrants total.

t1489882553z1.png

Jawmuncher

I played through Banned Game 1 The Sequel on the Vita. It's alright-ish. Short dungeon crawler with a bit too much grinding. Enjoyable enough if you're a dungeon crawler fan I guess.

It's also a big example of shoe-horned fanservice for no reason. It has those "scenes", but that's basically the only "raunchy" part of the game ( well, other than the outfits). The dialogue and plot is basically free of it for the most part (save for one character that throws some innuendos from time to time, but they are really tame innuendos). The dialogue is actually decently written and the plot actually gets to some serious/dark places towards the ending.
The "scenes" actually make the game worse because they are repetitive shitty minigames, and they really don't fit at all into the rest into the rest of the game.

Talking of the other, which I beat on vita.
The card gameplay was actually a lot of fun. Kinda reminded me of MG Acid. Even if the campaign did drag a bit. Much like you said the stuff that got it banned is easily the worst part of the game. Having to upgrade cards through the mini-games is busy work, and just sucks all around.
If you could just play the game paying to upgrade cards with no gimmicks, and no lewd art. It'd be something I recommend to everyone who wants a card style game.
Funny that both banned games have the issue of basically forcing the banned content to get more sales of a certain nature, while pretty much denying anyone else from wanting to play them.

NieR is so much fun, and i'm still at the beginning.

Love the screen changes and the bullet hell style stuff

My only complaint is that it tanks performance in the cutscene department.

RTSS didn't fix my issue either :(

It's not regular microstuttering, the game runs at 60 for some time, then it drops to maybe 20, maybe 40, etc in a second and that breaks everything.

user237

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

xheRJRF.gif
POSTAL 2 -- MB-A22D3605E81F37D2

has cards

Kaleinc

Banned
When I start Nier up the initial Square Enix and Platnium logos show, than the terminal style graphics for the initial load but straight after the screen goes black. You can hear the music, and navigate the menus blindly for about a minute and then steam itself crashes and the game soon after.

Other games are working with no issues. 980Ti, latest drivers. Have tried on 4k and 144hz monitor. Tried setting that to 60, turned gsync off, and nothing works.

Anyone had a similar problem and found a solution or have any suggestions? I don't have a corsair keyboard One other person in the forums has the same problem but no solutions or suggestions :/

Really just want to play!
Windows user name with special characters, regular user/admin, compatibility modes, disabling GFE, global AA, DSR?

so what's the consensus on the quality of the PC version of Nier?

It is very mixed. Has Arbitrary Resolutions but Full Screen option is busted right now so borderless window or windowed is the only way to get the game resolution past 900p. some people had the game run smoothly at multiple resolutions and max settings. Some people cant even start the game due to crashes and other bugs or have crashes at random points during the game.

Some people have had really bad pop-in, stuttering and bad framerates in pre-rendered cutscenes, others have not. Things have been going pretty smoothly on my end with a 980ti/6600k/8GB RAM and can do 1080P/60 with max settings and 1440P/60 with MSAA turned down. Had some cutscene problems with framerate but that magically fixed itself about 3 hours in.

Nzyme32

so what's the consensus on the quality of the PC version of Nier?

Good overall, but it certainly has its oddities and issues.

Performance is great for me, but AMD users are in a hit or miss position with an issue right now.

Pre-rendered cutscenes are rendering at 30fps but randomly shift into a 20fps or so stutter. Other times they work fine. In-game rendered cutscenes are great.

Mouse and keyboard controls are wonky dues to a few odd decisions such as extremely poor mouse implementation for shmup & side scrolling sections along with odd dodge configuration - but at the same time its more effort than I expected.

Current Fullscreen issue for some folks where the game renders in PS4 style 1600x900 then scales that to whatever resolution you choose - - solution is to play windowed with borderless, which will respect whatever arbitrary resolution you want.

Settings need to be for a specific save file, rather than global.

UI stretched on aspect ratios beyond 16:9, but the game is fine. Pre-rendered cutscene are bordered correctly for ultrawide it seems, but for 16:10 (narrower than 16:9) the cutscene will be squished (but thankfully the aspect ratio is similar enough to be bearable for me)

JustinBB7

I just wish the black bars during cutscenes would fuck off. Besides that Nier runs fine for me using the borderless window program from the start though. Haven't tried without.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Finished Stories Untold. Good stuff. Even if mechanically its kinda busted (the parser on the text adventure parts is very limited for example). Still, im all for these different kind of experiences.

FLD

Finished Stories Untold. Good stuff. Even if mechanically its kinda busted (the parser on the text adventure parts is very limited for example). Still, im all for these different kind of experiences.

How did the last episode run for you? The recent patch notes mentioned improved performance, so I'm curious because at launch it was pretty rough (fps in the low 20s).

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

cmWEPrK.png

Mystery Game #1 -- MB-082AA302CDA6B563 - Taken by Sarcasm. 8 entrants total.

t1489801396z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
How did the last episode run for you? The recent patch notes mentioned improved performance, so I'm curious because at launch it was pretty rough (fps in the low 20s).

I played it on the laptop and it ran pretty poorly, but im honestly not sure if thats not half intended to go with the asthetics really. I mean, I cant imagine it running super smoothly like a
normal first person game when you are walking around
, know what I mean?

FLD

I played it on the laptop and it ran pretty poorly, but im honestly not sure if thats not half intended to go with the asthetics really. I mean, I cant imagine it running super smoothly like a
normal first person game when you are walking around
, know what I mean?

Yeah, I can kinda see why you might say that. Just fired it up real quick and it seems to run much better now, not quite 60fps but close. Didn't feel like replaying the whole episode, so I didn't make it to the section in your spoiler tag but yeah, I don't think it was intentional. Don't know exactly how it was for you but it was pretty damn bad when I played it.

FLD

Nier Automata is finally up on SteamSpy

https://steamspy.com/app/524220

Owners: 32,985 ± 8,957

wayyyy to early to speculate sales though.

Too early to guess even at a general ballpark but that's not a bad first day number. You can't assume too much from it but it can be a good early indicator of whether a game is doing incredibly poorly or not. This actually looks decent and could likely climb quite a bit over the next few days. I think it could actually break 100K.

MUnited83

For you.
Too early to guess even at a general ballpark but that's not a bad first day number. You can't assume too much from it but it can be a good early indicator of whether a game is doing incredibly poorly or not. This actually looks decent and could likely climb quite a bit over the next few days. I think it could actually break 100K.

I'm pretty sure it already broke 100k.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 14 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

K7GXagI.png

Mystery Game -- MB-6B65D2D49BC77DF4 - Taken by Kagemusha
Mystery Game #10 -- MB-23B4059E4E035513 - Taken by dave is ok
Mystery Game #11 -- MB-43481BAC6151EF97 - Taken by Nomadic Sparks
Mystery Game #12 -- MB-E42EA2828BAE36B8 - Taken by fuzzy123

Mystery Game #13 -- MB-D2157DB968503214 - Taken by Rhaknar
Mystery Game #14 -- MB-C0811B512AD6618A - Taken by pislit
Mystery Game #2 -- MB-0A881199D4B2B953 - Taken by claytonlee101
Mystery Game #3 -- MB-9F1044B89C4749B3 - Taken by Mackenzie 92
Mystery Game #4 -- MB-67B4EE408A8FDD98 - Taken by Shalashaska
Mystery Game #5 -- MB-840A03D19E9B78B0 - Taken by MaxiLive
Mystery Game #6 -- MB-DE0C41D8BD9F7430 - Taken by Servizio