• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

#Happybday #uold #waifu4laifu

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday mate.

Happy birthday, Ascheroth.

Happy birthday! Awesome giveaway! I've been trying to sell cards and get the game but I came 1 euro short.XD So this is my last chance!

Happy birthday mate.

Happy birthday.

:lol Happy birthday!

I put 9S into passive mode (interact with him for the option to do so) that way in combat situations it's just me whooping arse. It is still kinda easy, though.

Happy birthday Ascheroth!
Thanks!

Shengar

Nier is WAY too demanding on hardware for what it looks like compared to other games with more advanced graphics tech.

Fun game, but very un-optimized port. Fullscreen resolution is busted. Shadow resolution is bad. The game NEVER hits 60. The frame limiter is also busted. It' hangs at 59.3-59.8. The AA solution hardly does anything other than eat up resourses. You have to set AA to x8 and activate AO for you to work.

Hopefully the game does well enough for them to fix this. I highly doubt we'll see a patch for anything any time soon.
To be fair, the game on lowest setting doesn't degrade in graphical quality that much. It seems the game run with PS4 configuration and the graphic option provided are there to improved it.
Yo Rayge, youre taking the Toukiden 2 bullet for the rest of us right?

I buy and play the game regardless of port quality :)

I can give an objective port quality report though when being asked.

Tizoc

While the score strikes me as a bit odd considering the praise the reviewer gives the level design, I can see how the game's writing could affect the overall experience and bring down everything good.

(Speaking generally here, not played either Styx)

Just seen this review for Styx 2 earlier on

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2017/03/review-styx-shards-of-darkness/

Ugh, a bit overly harsh?
Yeah this stealth game has great stealth but the writing is bad, so it's a 5.5/10? :/

I don't want to get into review bashing (especially given some recent threads) but that's weird

Eh the 4th wall breaking quips stopped bothering me once I set Voices to 0, but the localization from French to English is very very wonky.
If you like stealth games, def. get Styx 2 it improves on the predecessor.
Seriously just mute the voices and feel free to disable subtitles, if you trigger a side mission, it's marker will appear on-screen.

Happy birthday to Ascheroth~!

I buy and play the game regardless of port quality :)

I can give an objective port quality report though when being asked.

2f0.jpg

I feel like Nier Automata port just is better on AMD card. As for me, except for the fullscreen mode, the port is fairly good and rarely dropped below 60fps.

Ascheroth

I feel like Nier Automata port just is better on AMD card. As for me, except for the fullscreen mode, the port is fairly good and rarely dropped below 60fps.
Same here, and I think we have the same graphics card (R9 290).

There's definitely something wonky going on with the LOD though.
It's WAAAAAAYYY too aggressive: Example.
Game looks actually pretty good with some minor ReShade tweaks, it's the LOD that makes everything look like shit.

Same here, and I think we have the same graphics card (R9 290).

There's definitely something wonky going on with the LOD though.
It's WAAAAAAYYY too aggressive: Example.
Game looks actually pretty good with some minor ReShade tweaks, it's the LOD that makes everything look like shit.

Yeah, I do have the same card. What a sweet deal it was for 200 bucks.

C4rter

Stuff

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (C4rter, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Alien Breed Impact -- MB-89D7CBFA811C1676
Crimsonland -- MB-3D36F15ADD408C1F - Taken by Hakkelus
SkyDrift -- MB-F0597F04AF0EE3EC - Taken by InquisitorAles

Just so strange to read the impressions. People with my old GPU (280x) can run it fine on the same settings as mine runs bad (980TI G1 Gaming OC)...

Anteater

Nier runs at 1080p60fps on my 1060gtx so far, don't really have room for upping the res though, it's like running at 90%+ gpu most of the time.

Spacejaws

Just had a strange thing happen. Changed the shortcut destination for some origin games in steam (as in edited the properties in steam, not re-added the shortcuts) and all my screenshots disapeared :/ for bot. battlefront and battlefield 1. Checked the screenshot directory and went through all the folders and yup they are legitimately gone. Not sure if this is the behavior is you remove a shortcut from steam but I'm a bit miffed to just lose the last couple of months worth of screenshots, I should have backed them up though :(

data

Anyone with older gpu tried playing Nier?

there's this guy on youtube called santiago santiago who benchmarked the game with a low end cpu (Pentium G4560) and 3 GPU's of which one is a 750ti which is somewhat old, you might be interested in that

Spent 4 hours on second mission in Dishonored 2, and i have very mixed impressions about this one. Gameplay is very complex and addictive, level design and art is top notch, world is interesting to explore. But this game is still fucked up in tech way, main problem is stuttering - FPS constantly dropping from 60 to 30-40 on 1080p, depending in which direction you looking, even indoors. I tried to increase FOV to maximum, but it's still sometimes makes me sick. Changing graphics settings doesn't look like affect on overall performance at all, i tried to set up everything to Very Low, but even with noticeably worse image framerate remains the same, which is very confusing. I don't know what to do, i tried to follow performance optimization guides but nothing. This is the first time i have such issues with new AAA games on my rig, and game didn't even look like something impressive, 90% of the time game looks really gray and rough, lighting feels off too. The only good thing about this engine is one of the best wallpapers in videogaming history, but everything else is just meh.
The other tech issue i have with Dishonored 2 is broken mouse sensitivity, i tried to set max values but it still really slow. It looks like mouse smoothing, but i didn't found how to disable it in controls option.
AI looks broken too. Sometimes guards are very smart and immediately starting to look around together if one of them suddenly disappear from his post. But sometimes guards act really stupid and even manage to stuck in the stairs or walls. On the other hand, some civilians can see through walls and panic when they see you with unconscious body. I really hope that bodies detection doesn't ruin my full-stealth walkthrough.
And the last and most weird issue - game completely annihilating my internet connection whenever i try to play it and download or watch youtube videos on the background at the same time. I tried to download Nier: Automata and play Dishonored 2, tried to watch videos about achievements in Steam overlay, and my connection always goes dead after few minutes. After that i can't access "Network and Sharing Center" nor "Network Connections", the only way to fix this is reboot my computer entirely. I'm using wireless adapter to connect my main PC to home network, and had such issues only when i was trying to torrent some stuff long time ago. I also noticed that game loads to main menu much faster if nothing is downloading in background, 10 seconds vs 30-40 seconds. All those issues are very disappointing because overall Dishonored 2 is great and i'm still confident to do second playthought with high-chaos right away. At least i got this game as gift from my friend, glad i didn't preordered it in 2016.

Wok

And the last and most weird issue - game completely annihilating my internet connection whenever i try to play it and download or watch youtube videos on the background at the same time. I tried to download Nier: Automata and play Dishonored 2, tried to watch videos about achievements in Steam overlay, and my connection always goes dead after few minutes. After that i can't access "Network and Sharing Center" nor "Network Connections", the only way to fix this is reboot my computer entirely. I'm using wireless adapter to connect my main PC to home network, and had such issues only when i was trying to torrent some stuff long time ago. I also noticed that game loads to main menu much faster if nothing is downloading in background, 10 seconds vs 30-40 seconds. All those issues are very disappointing because overall Dishonored 2 is great and i'm still confident to do second playthought with high-chaos right away. At least i got this game as gift from my friend, glad i didn't preordered it in 2016.

It sounds like an issue with the power supply. Maybe use Ethernet instead of wireless.

dex3108

Spent 4 hours on second mission in Dishonored 2, and i have very mixed impressions about this one. Gameplay is very complex and addictive, level design and art is top notch, world is interesting to explore. But this game is still fucked up in tech way, main problem is stuttering - FPS constantly dropping from 60 to 30-40 on 1080p, depending in which direction you looking, even indoors. I tried to increase FOV to maximum, but it's still sometimes makes me sick. Changing graphics settings doesn't look like affect on overall performance at all, i tried to set up everything to Very Low, but even with noticeably worse image framerate remains the same, which is very confusing. I don't know what to do, i tried to follow performance optimization guides but nothing. This is the first time i have such issues with new AAA games on my rig, and game didn't even look like something impressive, 90% of the time game looks really gray and rough, lighting feels off too. The only good thing about this engine is one of the best wallpapers in videogaming history, but everything else is just meh.

The other tech issue i have with Dishonored 2 is broken mouse sensitivity, i tried to set max values but it still really slow. It looks like mouse smoothing, but i didn't found how to disable it in controls option.
AI looks broken too. Sometimes guards are very smart and immediately starting to look around together if one of them suddenly disappear from his post. But sometimes guards act really stupid and even manage to stuck in the stairs or walls. On the other hand, some civilians can see through walls and panic when they see you with unconscious body. I really hope that bodies detection doesn't ruin my full-stealth walkthrough.

I still need to see game drop below 60 FPS on my 1060 (resolution is 1080p and almost everything is maxed out). Either I am lucky or what?

Happy Birthday Ascheroth :p

Just so strange to read the impressions. People with my old GPU (280x) can run it fine on the same settings as mine runs bad (980TI G1 Gaming OC)...

Might be related to Nvidia/AMD. The same thing happens with KT games based on PS4 version: AMD hardware seems to perform better/have less issues.

Anteater

I've had no issues with most of the games, the only games I couldn't fix are Ryse and Batman Arkham Knight, both of those stutter a lot, at least Ryse looks pretty and I don't really care if it stutters, AK was a bummer and it'd consistently drop frames in batmobile no matter how much tweaks I try (or start the game clean)

Speaking of Nier Automata: 23k concurrent users. Who could've though that games announced months before release and released day and date (or close to) would sell ? :""""")
And 33k owners before we even got the 3 days sample. Amazing. And the game still is number 1 in global sellers.

dex3108

Speaking of Nier Automata: 23k concurrent users. Who could've though that games announced months before release and released day and date (or close to) would sell ? :""""")

Based on some other games that will translate to about 100K - 150K owners on SteamSpy after 3 days.

empyrean

Anyone got the witness on mac? Trying to download via steam and i click to install, it insta says installed at 0 bytes and asks my to click play, i click play and obviously it says that files are missing.... how do i get it to actually download / install it?

edit: are looked into it further it would seem that whilst the witness for mac is out...it isn't on steam? yet the game shows up under 'mac games' for me...

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Spring-Loaded, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Nier: Automata (let me know if you do ending E) -- MB-0D56CF9B12F51350 - Taken by rostocker. 122 entrants total.

t1489882553z1.png

Just found out that Nier will be released in my region next month.

They confirmed it via Twitter. Seems like translation issue like some people predicted.

Thanks China.

Hektor

Seems like they still manage to better humanize their main character than MGS's quiet, based on on promotional material. Is that the case in the game?

There's an optional feature the player can use to make her a bit more... revealing. Outside of that the game doesn't actually put any effort into that aspect at all, like boobshots in cutscenes or the likes.

Locust

Just found out that Nier will be released in my region next month.

They confirmed it via Twitter. Seems like translation issue like some people predicted.

Thanks China.
Wouldn't you be able to play it anyways if you just got it gifted or bought a key somewhere?

I'll take my time as the devs sort out the issues and modders doing their good work.

You'll still be banned for a month. :p

Nah. The count was "after a month". If Nier Automata still isn't on Steam 'after a month", banned until release. It releases in a month. Tee hee heee

Coreda

Get Rabi-Ribi then!

Gotta be honest the style is a bit of a turn off, though I might be able to get past it if it weren't blending high and low res assets or effects that aren't 2D. Puts me off even games I own like Shantae RR and Ys.

For me the 2D platformers that are most enjoyable are ones with a consistent pixel style, such as Cave Story, Shovel Knight, Momodora Reverie, and not too long ago: Deadbolt (below right). There are a few upcoming titles that also look to be this: Chasm (below left) and the GAF'er made Dudebro II (below center). It scratches just the right itch :)

It sounds like an issue with the power supply. Maybe use Ethernet instead of wireless.
I didn't know that network issues can be caused by power supply o_O I don't understand how power supply can affect my tp-link adapter but not other components. And I can't use ethernet because my main PC is way too far from modem.
I still need to see game drop below 60 FPS on my 1060 (resolution is 1080p and almost everything is maxed out). Either I am lucky or what?
You lucky that you have relatively new graphics card, I'm playing on GTX770 and i feel like devs didn't cared to optimize it for older GPU's. And as i said i played a lot modern graphics heavy games and didn't had performance issues that was not possible to fix by lowering some settings.

Regginator

About Nier... what does that mean, and how do you pronounce it? Nier means kidney in Dutch, and we pronounce it like "neer", basically Shaquille O'Neal, but replace the L with an R.

So yeah, that's how I pronounce it whenever I see NieR related stuff.

Hektor

About Nier... what does that mean, and how do you pronounce it? Nier means kidney in Dutch, and we pronounce it like "neer", basically Shaquille O'Neal, but replace the L with an R.

So yeah, that's how I pronounce it whenever I see NieR related stuff.

That's how i pronounce it as well.

Regarding its meaning
it doesn't actually mean anything at all. But is used as the name for the protag in the later released books and drama CD's

AHA-Lambda

Oh, happy birthday Ascheroth :)

i feel like i've heard a billion good things about house of fata morgana from gaf and literally nothing anywhere else on the internet

Well I could say similar about Hollow Knight, Styx, Xanadu Next, Paint it Back, Umineko, Steins Gate off the top of my head :p

Steamgaf knows what's up ;)

Still feels surreal to be playing another Nier.
Tutorial ran pretty smoothly for me but the first area after that
city ruins
has a lot of hiccups.
I'm hoping that the next area will run better since it's a
desert
lol, can anyone comment on that?

Jawmuncher

Tried out nier a bit. It runs fine for the most part. Can't seem to hold 60fps though if using texture filtering of any kind. Also died on the tutorial and didn't realize i'd have to go through it all again.

I'll wait. Those black bars on the cut-scenes that shouldn't be there should hopefully get patched soon.

NeoRaider

I'll wait. Those black bars on the cut-scenes that shouldn't be there should hopefully get patched soon.

I think that they should be there? If you are talking about transparent black bars, they are also in the PS4 ver. and i doubt that they will be patched.

Hektor

Tried out nier a bit. It runs fine for the most part. Can't seem to hold 60fps though if using texture filtering of any kind. Also died on the tutorial and didn't realize i'd have to go through it all again.

Do you mean the transparent ones or actual black bars? The transparent ones are intendet

Jawmuncher

I think that they should be there? If you are talking about transparent black bars, they are also in the PS4 ver. and i doubt that they will be patched.

Do you mean the transparent ones or actual black bars? The transparent ones are intendet

636020547262054283143xdj9v.gif

Who thought these were a good idea? If they wanted to letterbox, they should've committed.
Curious if the mod community can do anything about it. It sticks out to me. I mean not enough that i'll never beat the game or anything. But enough that if I ever see Yoko Taro in person, i'll tell him whats up.

I hate how steam forces the VR category to stay in your games list, unless you hide the games that are within it.

Agreed. Luckily I didn't have many VR games, and the ones I did, I don't play anymore (like MIND: Path to Thalamus.) But what proportion of Steam users do they figure even have VR? Or is it an attempt to push their own VR?

I hate how steam forces the VR category to stay in your games list, unless you hide the games that are within it.
I'd be okay with that mild inconvenience if they didn't do the boneheaded thing of making it so that hiding the game in the VR listing also hides the game in your main game listing. So I just have to deal with the redundant listings.

Wok

I didn't know that network issues can be caused by power supply o_O I don't understand how power supply can affect my tp-link adapter but not other components. And I can't use ethernet because my main PC is way too far from modem.

Your tp-link adapter is plugged to a USB port. If you have many devices plugged on the USB ports, maybe at the front of the PC, it can happen that some lose power. Try plugging it at the back of the PC.

I imagine that when Dishonored 2 is run, the PC is using more power, either for the graphic card, or for something else that you have plugged on USB ports adjacent to the one used by the tp-link adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom