• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

fucking science

nierautomata_2017_03_8wzj4.jpg

Lanrutcon

Seeing the sale on Borderlands stuff has given me an itching to play, but how was the Pre-Sequel? I loved 1 & 2 but don't want to play through them again. Any other games that would help me scratch that itch instead? Was Shadow Warrior 2 any good?

Pre-Sequel is funny once you get used to the (assumed) overblown accents. Definitely give it a shot if you're a BL fan and there's a sale.

yoshizzle

Seeing the sale on Borderlands stuff has given me an itching to play, but how was the Pre-Sequel? I loved 1 & 2 but don't want to play through them again. Any other games that would help me scratch that itch instead? Was Shadow Warrior 2 any good?

I think if you loved BL1 & 2, you'd at least like Pre-Sequel. The oxygen gimmick might feel annoying at first but it's really a non-issue. IMO, I think it's worth playing if you're a fan of BL1/BL2.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

K7GXagI.png

Mystery gift -- MB-577BFA6BBB46B573 - Taken by GrinningColossus

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

My master, I'll obey you! -- MB-5AD8B0B24AF4F2F7 - Taken by InquisitorAles. 22 entrants total.

t1489926234z1.png

MaxiLive

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

FEAR 3 -- MB-30B7500591498F9B - Taken by Danielsan

Old spare, hopefully it is still good!

Well, if you have a ~5 TFlop GPU with enough memory that should be no problem. (Or a bit less with lowered settings)

I have a 980TI and yesterday I turned down AA. Now it runs smooth. I just actually wonder why, as soon as I turn AA, it starts to stutter. Everything else is on high.

zkylon

zkylewd
few hours more of nier 2. i feel like the stakes in this game are so low that it's hard to find myself interested in it. and the way the story moves is very strange, it feels like in nier 1 this would've been stretched for 30 hours but i've gone through multiple dungeons and towns in just a few hours and i don't really feel like i have a good grasp on what's going on or why anything's the way it is, outside of my prior knowledge from nier 1

i'm also surprised at how basic the combat seems to be. i thought there were gonna be combos and shit, but i just mash my way through things cos i can't seem to find a movelist anywhere? i wasn't hoping for bayonetta or anything but it's surprising considering this is like platinum games' specialty, and i feel like it's gotten repetitive really quick

i hope they start moving forward quicker, this set of characters is fucking lame and there doesn't seem to be much going on for the story so far, so idk what is people so in love with about it outside the pantyshots

pantyshots are cool but idk i kind of expected there to be more of a story?

i hate Nier sidequests, they're so lame but this time they keep putting them in my way and I keep doing them :( (I skipped all of them in the original game)
these filler sidequests are super lame but they do a good job of setting up the tone of the game and i really appreciated them in original nier

nier has a rare quality in videogames, we've had games made us laugh, cry, games that disturbed us and inspired us, but it's not often that we find games that are just poignant. melancholy is something i feel is very deeply communicated through nier 1 and the sidequests were a big deal. there was always this feeling of it being too late, like these sidequests never end up quite how they should, like the letter you want to send to this person is 10 years too late and whoever's gonna receive it is already dead. or how u help two brothers deal with their mother being gone

shit like that

i found the sidequests in nier 1 really memorable and actually one of my favorite parts about the game, even if like the actual gameplay part was kinda trash (tho that kind of applies to nier 1 as a whole lol)

I honestly think whatever obvious so far is going to turn out to be not so obvious in the second playthrough, like they're purposely baiting us to think "oh lol i see where this is going!", but we'll see!

Seriously tho I'm quite enjoying the game for the fact that we got another Nier with good music
yeah, basically that's what i'm thinking

right now the game's just checking all the boxes, it's got some bullet hell stuff, some sidescrolly stuff, got the music and the sidequests and the open world stuff and the desert level and big boss fights and all that

but it feels like it's just fulfilling what's expected of it, while original nier had no expectations to it so it just kept blowing you away with random shit it threw in ur direction

I couldn't disagree harder even if you had just called Trump a brilliant poly maker, diplomat, and advocate of the masses.
put in a few more hours, still stand by what i said

Danielsan

Axiom Verge is good. Although the SteamGAF flavor of the month is Hollow Knight at the moment.
Yeah I'm late to the party on Axiom. I really want to get Hollow Knight sometime soon, but 2017 is just a bit too crazy with all the good games coming out and the massive backlog still lingering.
Really tempted to try Nier as well.

Knurek

Does Nier come with the soundtrack? That alone would put it on my radar.

If it's anything like previous Platinum games, it should be using WWise, which is a PITA but most of the times convertable to playable OGGs.
Don't have the game, so can't confirm/deny.

If it's anything like previous Platinum games, it should be using WWise, which is a PITA but most of the times convertable to playable OGGs.
Don't have the game, so can't confirm/deny.

Boo. Every game should have its soundtrack included or, worst case scenario, as a downloadable. (Requiring zero workarounds to access.)

Especially when the music is as good as Nier's. (I am basing this entirely off of one song I heard on Youtube. sogud)

fantomena

I rarely post here anymore I see. Too much work to do. The study line Im doing required so much damn work.

I really want to start playing Nier, but I made the mistake of starting Dead Rising 4 yesterday.

And my Switch will arrive next week which is cool.

gelf

Holy.

Shit.

Finally got through Hollow Knight (although only 99% completion) and its finale. What a fantastic game.

Not sure if it is true for other players but the finale was clutch as fuck and rather epic in attempting to actually win. Right on the line of my skill level I think. Took me quite a few attempts (maybe 10) - twice dying at the very last moment. Totally worth the effort though.

Now I just wish there is more to come.
I would say the Super Meat Boy like platforming in a late section came close to breaking me. There was one part especially that nearly made me give up the whole thing as I just couldn't work out how you where supposed to time jumping through the traps. It was stressful to the point I just had to stop. Thankfully coming to it fresh the next day I somehow lucked my way through. By comparison I found the final boss easier to handle in that I only died 10 times rather then having to sustain 100+ hits only thanks to health regeneration charms in the platforming section.

I'm sounding too negative here though. On the whole the game is absolutely fantastic and possibly my favorite in the genre.

KainXVIII

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

w5Bqht8.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-2B44724AD3AAFDE3 - Taken by KainXVIII. 12 entrants total.

t1489919249z1.png
Somebody need spare The Deer key? PM if so.

Im actually wondering who is giving away so many bundle trash keys?

I mean its been like 1 week now with several mystery giveaways and mostly such games.

i am a huge amateur when it comes to PC games, so apologies for what i assume is a relatively basic question.

on steam, how do i know if a mod i downloaded through steam workshop is active? the specific context is that i want to play kotor II and have heard the restoration mod improves the experience dramatically. i found the mod in the steam workshop and downloaded it. then i launched the game. am i playing the modded version of the game? the main screen says v1.8.5 if that is helpful.

data

i am a huge amateur when it comes to PC games, so apologies for what i assume is a relatively basic question.

on steam, how do i know if a mod i downloaded through steam workshop is active? the specific context is that i want to play kotor II and have heard the restoration mod improves the experience dramatically. i found the mod in the steam workshop and downloaded it. then i launched the game. am i playing the modded version of the game? the main screen says v1.8.5 if that is helpful.

i've never played the game, but maybe it has a mods section somewhere in the main menu?

Knurek

Yepp, managed to extract music data from Nier: Automata, here's the methodology:

BGM files:

gamedir\data\sound\stream\BGM*.wsp files
extract sound data from these (RIFF header, so just about any decent fileripper will do), rename them to *.wem
use ww2ogg on them with --pcb packed_codebooks_aoTuV_603.bin option enabled.
use revorb on the generated OGG file, if you care about seeking.

movie sound extraction.

Use VGMToolbox->Misc Tools->Stream Tools->Video Demultiplexer (chose extract audio only, pick USM (CRI Movie 2) and just drag and drop the movie files onto the program window) - it will extract ADX sound files, playable with VGMStream (Winamp/standalone player here, foobar plugin here)

Unless a mod deems it safe to just link to the extracted data, that's all I can provide. Should be enough though. :) LMK if I can help with anything.

I would say the Super Meat Boy like platforming in a late section came close to breaking me. There was one part especially that nearly made me give up the whole thing as I just couldn't work out how you where supposed to time jumping through the traps. It was stressful to the point I just had to stop. Thankfully coming to it fresh the next day I somehow lucked my way through. By comparison I found the final boss easier to handle in that I only died 10 times rather then having to sustain 100+ hits only thanks to health regeneration charms in the platforming section.

I'm sounding too negative here though. On the whole the game is absolutely fantastic and possibly my favorite in the genre.
I am almost done the game, just wrapping up loose ends before I get to the final boss, but I actually really liked both that entire section and
the dream world rematches with certain bosses
. I love how that area is completely unlike anything else and it just ratchets things up to 11. If I were to gripe about anything in the game, it's that I found the combat too simple as your basic attacks give you more bang for your buck than anything else whereas other games in this mould at least cover up how easy combat can get by distracting you with variety in terms of weapons and abilities to use. Aside from that everything else in the game is very 👌 👌 👌 👌 🍎 💦, The art, music, and general atmosphere is superb. It's cute, it's sad, it's full of bugs.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?

Looking around, it seems like the mod should modify the title screen to say it's installed like so.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:

For people entering giveaways and winning crappy games -- MB-1EC0D85FA3C2A8E8 - Taken by gngf123. 36 entrants total.

t1489933508z1.png

Kiru

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:

For people entering giveaways and winning crappy games -- MB-1EC0D85FA3C2A8E8 - Taken by gngf123. 36 entrants total.

t1489933508z1.png

lol

Hektor

Reading some of the posts about Automata in here, there are so many things i wanna say but simply can't. Awful feeling :<

Knowing Square-Enix' business acumen on PC, they probably look at this data and then release all future games 1 year late, but with a Valve accessory. Because surely that was the reason for success.

This is not funny cos it's most likely what's going to happen.

I hope Horizon Zero Dawn gets on some GOTY lists. It was released so early though.

If Blood Dragon and Primal are anything to go by Far Cry Spinoffs usually don't tend to win a lot of awards

Tizoc

When did warhammer 40k eternal crusade get a free to play version o_O
Hmm well this way one could try it out and see if theyd like it so ill give it a chance.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there a way to check package data in SteamDB for a Steam gift bundle that's not from the standard store offerings?

Click "Add to my library" -> Highlight "Add to my library" -> Right-click -> Inspect source. (You may need to adjust the nomenclature/steps to account for browsers that aren't Firefox-based.) You'll see something like this:

<div class="btn_green_white_innerfade btn_medium" onclick="DoUnpackGift( '1693658285559726245', 7350, &quot;Bulletstorm&quot; );">

The number after the "DoUnpackGift" string is the package ID, which you can look up on SteamDB.

Click "Add to my library" -> Highlight "Add to my library" -> Right-click -> Inspect source. (You may need to adjust the nomenclature/steps to account for browsers that aren't Firefox-based.) You'll see something like this:

The number after the "DoUnpackGift" string is the package ID.

Thanks a lot, but I guess this means I can't check gifts in someone elses' inventory?

AHA-Lambda

Finished Styx 2 :)
If you liked the first you will like this, it's largely more of the same, but not in a bad way.

One surprising thing I noted though was that the back half of the game does reuse the most of earlier levels which is rather disappointing =/

Now, on to Nier Automata :D

Ah, nah. You'll have to ask them to report back.

Well, that sucks :p
Managed to find the bundle anyway from some clicking around in the SteamDB.
Forgot that you need to search for packages in the search page instead of using the search bar, which defaults to only apps.
That way you can just search for the name.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well, that sucks :p
Managed to find the bundle anyway from some clicking around in the SteamDB.
Forgot that you need to search for packages in the search page instead of using the search bar, which defaults to only apps.
That way you can just search for the name.

Oh, what a brain fart on my part. Even if the package ID doesn't have a name, Steam will say "Unknown package [ID here]", anyway (Exhibit A). Sorry!

Lain

What a dumb assertion. It is perfectly fine on my end and several people in the PC Performance thread are reporting similar results on a variety of setups.

I guess the claims of stutters, FPS drops, various performance issues and a busted scaler in fullscreen aren't the real story. I read those posts in this thread and thought these people were telling the truth. My bad.

He prob. Mad he doesnt have a copy of the game and didnt win any of the giveaways :v

What a dumb assertion. I already said before I got the physical copy preordered on various occasions.

Oh, what a brain fart on my part. Even if the package ID doesn't have a name, Steam will say "Unknown package [ID here]", anyway (Exhibit A). Sorry!

No worries, happens even the best of us, I felt dumb when I noticed why the package didn't show up in search :p

Also, what's up with DmC leaderboards?
I flipped through the leaderboards for Nephilim difficulty, then I randomly checked Devil Hunter and saw one dude have scores at hundred millions.
Tried to google and youtube for a bit, but no success.

Finally downloaded Nier, and performance is not as bad as i expected (at least during intro sequence). Game is weirdly rendering in fullscreen on 1080p screen, when I'm playing it looks like 900p but screenshots are 1080p. Windowed seems to fix this but i can't see borderless windowed option, i guess i should try to fix it by myself? FPS is around 40-60, but strangely i didn't notice drops and any stuttering, even cutscenes feels okay if you don't look at FPS counter. I disabled motion blur but game still looks little too blurry and dark, is it supposed to look like that?
Gameplay is fun, i didn't watched any gameplay videos or trailers so i wasn't prepared for scrollshooter and other stuff. But i still don't get how to dodge properly, i tried to doubletap movement buttons, WASD+R and double jumps, but still sometimes getting hits. Also, how to shoot and do sword attacks in different directions on keyboard and mouse?
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key.

My master, I'll obey you! -- MB-5AD8B0B24AF4F2F7 - Taken by InquisitorAles. 22 entrants total.
It was Minion Masters btw. Need to stop entering mystery giveaways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom