• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Im surprised its that low since its been in the top sellers since it came out.

And yes I meant 2 for the earlier question.

if Capcpom is checking on Toukiden and God Eater sales to have an idea how MH would do on PC, they are not inspired!
granted, GE sold much better, but two games for an affordable price, it had to sell better.

Going by the amount of people asking for Nier in that giveaway thread there are still a lot of PC gaffers interested in it that haven't bought it yet. It's by far the most requested game.

if Capcpom is checking on Toukiden and God Eater sales to have an idea how MH would do on PC, they are not inspired!
granted, GE sold much better, but two games for an affordable price, it had to sell better.

I still argue that somehow all/most of MH clones are really casual compared to MH and get repetetive.

Like in MH you might get the same enemy, but they learn new tactics and strategies. In Toukiden 1 and God Eater 1 the enemies stay the same, just hit more or have another elemental attack.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Ehh not my type.

part of the big fun in MH is that you can play it anywhere

also MH doesn't have super anime moves those games have, so I'd argue they're on a different level of audience

Arthea

oh cool I have twenty funbucks in Steam from a friend, what should I grab?

wait till April 11 and buy

part of the big fun in MH is that you can play it anywhere

also MH doesn't have super anime moves those games have, so I'd argue they're on a different level of audience

lol what?

I still argue that somehow all/most of MH clones are really casual compared to MH and get repetetive.

Like in MH you might get the same enemy, but they learn new tactics and strategies. In Toukiden 1 and God Eater 1 the enemies stay the same, just hit more or have another elemental attack.

oh I don't doubt that MH could sell better on reputation alone, I was kidding
and Capcom is not interested in releasing MH on PC anyway, if they were, we would have had it already

Boss Doggie

lol what?

okay gonna wishlist this shit

and different audiences, the people who complain about MH's more solid feeling weapons might be more at home to say GE's anime attacks with their God Eater machines

Some insight into what types of games you enjoy would be helpful. ;)

honestly sometimes a game would fit my type but it'd not click with me

it's weird

I already preordered Cosmic Star Heroine in the Humble store and kickstartered Yooka-Layle and considreing now Planescape Torment. Aprill 11 wil be like a Christmas 2.0 .

Volimar

Today's my birthday, and since I struck out on another Loot Box, my loss is your gain.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

3089 FUTURISTIC ACTION RPG -- MB-B8E49F5B69C75357 - Taken by Smeagol
CRAZY BELTS -- MB-2711E767402C1F94 - Taken by Camel Master
IDOL HANDS -- MB-FA1BCA7CD204A420 - Taken by voodooray
NASH RACING -- MB-AA63BEE249E0D819 - Taken by Vuze

Whoops, was meant to be a raffle. That's what I get for operating on three hours sleep.

Bigby

Might be a good idea to vote for games you are interested in as it seems Greenlight isn't going to be long for this world. Valve redesigned the Steamworks page and it mentions Steam Direct Distribution quite a lot.

lol what?

oh I don't doubt that MH could sell better on reputation alone, I was kidding
and Capcom is not interested in releasing MH on PC anyway, if they were, we would have had it already

PC isn't the problem. Capcom just isn't interest to move from handhelds for the serie, which is understandable. I doubt consoles/PC could make for the lost huge sales in Japan.

Vuze

Chinese have MH on PC and I heard its actually not bad.
I guess MHO is an okay game if you don't have the money to buy GE or Toukiden on PC

PC isn't the problem. Capcom just isn't interest to move from handhelds for the serie, which is understandable. I doubt consoles/PC could make for the lost huge sales in Japan.
I'm still holding out for a PC HD collection of some older titles. And I know you're reading along, wbacon 😘
That MHP2ndG iOS port with QoL improvements from the more recent titles was just so good. I should check if compatibility is an issue going forward since Apple will cease 32bit app support.

Heck, it's not even interested in moving the series from 3DS to Switch
(For now).
Yeah, not having a MHXX port on Switch at launch struck me weird as well. I guess it makes sense not to pay for the porting out of their own pocket considering 3DS install base but Nintendo should've done it. Easy sales boost for hardware.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Capcom lose nothing in bringing it to PC outside of handhelds - in fact they already have their mini MMO version of it for PC, which further shows there is very little cannibalization across both channels.

Boss Doggie

So I'm planning in building a new PC soon (this baby is roughly seven years old!)

Is it true though that I should go for AMD now for video card? Especially with many NVidia driver problems I keep reading about.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So I'm planning in building a new PC soon (this baby is roughly seven years old!)

Is it true though that I should go for AMD now for video card? Especially with many NVidia driver problems I keep reading about.

Depends on how much you'll be spending. AMD won't be releasing high/er-end cards until May; the 480 and upcoming 580 are 1060 equivalents.

Ehhh AMD is not my type.

Since making the switch a few generations ago.

Durante

No, it's not true.
It depends greatly on your target price range. AMD is currently only competitive in <=250 USD area.

No, it's not true.
It depends greatly on your target price range. AMD is currently only competitive in <=250 USD area.

Yup. Look for AMD if you're looking on budget. Performance is lower but price often make for it. When I bought my R9 290 for 210 euros in 2014, there was no way I'd find a GTX 970 for that low. It happened eventually in 2016 with GTX 1070, but that was 2 years later.

Corpekata

Banned
While GPUs can handle really high temps these days a lot of them downthrottle in the 80 degree range, so at that point I would worry simply because you're going to see a decrease in performance.

Boss Doggie

Depends on how much you'll be spending. AMD won't be releasing high/er-end cards until May; the 480 and upcoming 580 are 1060 equivalents.
No, it's not true.

so basically it's still better to stick to nvidia? just have to pick which driver update is stable?

Ehhh AMD is not my type.

Since making the switch a few generations ago.

switch to AMD?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

l3L0MM1.jpg

Mystery Gift -- MB-8B1EB2E3D0B52599 - Taken by fifasnipe2224. 10 entrants total.

t1490803225z1.png

JaseC

so basically it's still better to stick to nvidia? just have to pick which driver update is stable?

While Nvidia's driver QA isn't what it once was, its driver selection is far from a minefield. Broken releases are still the exception to the rule.

oni-link

Why are the ModBot mystery giveaways so popular?

It says in the rules "Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site" but doesn't making everything mysterious encourage both of these things?

Wouldn't it be better if all the games were listed, at least that way they'd surely have a better chance of being won by people who actually want to play them

It says in the rules "Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site" but doesn't making everything mysterious encourage both of these things?

Wouldn't it be better if all the games were listed, at least that way they'd surely have a better chance of being won by people who actually want to play them

The chances are higher that someone takes a Mystery bundle trash game than if you write "Bundle Trash Game A". So you can actually "raise" your giveaways to be eligble for megagiver giveaways e.g.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
To Nvidia from AMD. Never had that many driver issues that weren't corrected with reverting to the previous driver or with a deployed fix.

Crazy. How's the game, by the way?
I like it. It isn't GOTY material, but I'd definitely say it's worth playing, especially if you're a fan of mass effect

JaseC

The point of the rule is two-fold: discourage people from taking games for the purpose of personal gain and encourage people to keep the games within GAF. If you end up something you already have, you can give it to a fellow GAFer directly or use ModBot to raffle it off again. The rule doesn't really have an impact on intent as if someone is entering mystery giveaways in the hope of winning something to sell or whatever, then they're likely doing the same with standard giveaways, too.

But then it wouldn't be a mystery. ;)

switch to AMD?

AMD drivers killed one of my R9 270x's last year, right around the time the Crimson update came out.

I updated the drivers and from there it was constant black screen freezes, didn't matter which drivers I was using.

oni-link

The point of the rule is two-fold: discourage people from taking games for the purpose of personal gain and encourage people to keep the games within GAF. If you end up something you already have, you can give it to a fellow GAFer directly or use ModBot to raffle it off again. The rule doesn't really have an impact on intent as if someone is entering mystery giveaways in the hope of winning something to sell or whatever, then they're likely doing the same with standard giveaways, too.

Yeah I suppose, it just seems that considering how many games are on Steam and how everyone has a different taste and backlog, that the chances of you winning a random game that you actually want to play are incredibly slim

If everyone could see the games they are bidding for then you'd have a better chance of someone winning a game they actually want to play

Not that it's a big deal, it's just something I was curious about. Personally I only bid for games I know my PC will be able to run and that I 100% want to play

Ludens

Banned
20€ for Planescape seems too much, considering the game was given for free and this time there's no new gameplay content...the vanilla game with a couple of mods is visually great, the only thing this EE does apparently is implementing hi-res by default and re-working stuff in the hud (which I found perfectly fine as it is/was).

Also no implementation of the italian translation, it was fan-made, yeah, but it required literally YEARS to be done and it's great, they could implement that in this version, you can't even use the old patch since it won't work in the EE.

Ladekabel

Replaying Shadow Complex Remastered after I loved it on the 360. Aged worse than I expected but it's probably still one of my favorite Metroidvanias.

Aaron D.

I've always felt like they were trash games giveaways for people too ashamed to associate with their names, but who want to qualify for Big Giveaways where the Pay It Forward rule was activated.

No harm in it, though I do think it's a bit cowardly.

I only wish that the actual names of the Mystery Games were revealed somehow after they were claimed, as it does pique my curiosity when I see them listed.

Boss Doggie

To Nvidia from AMD. Never had that many driver issues that weren't corrected with reverting to the previous driver or with a deployed fix.

Ah I see

While Nvidia's driver QA isn't what it once was, its driver selection is far from a minefield. Broken releases are still the exception to the rule.

what's the recent stable driver version?

AMD drivers killed one of my R9 270x's last year, right around the time the Crimson update came out.

I updated the drivers and from there it was constant black screen freezes, didn't matter which drivers I was using.

yikes :<

Ascheroth

Ah I see

yikes :<

You'll probably get good/bad examples for every side.
Personally I've only had 1 driver problem with AMD in ~3 years now and that was it not updating properly when the huge crimson update rolled out - which was fixed by doing a clean uninstall and reinstalling.

Durante

The most recent one. As, basically, always except for one or two quickly fixed releases on specific configurations over the past 2 years.

I usually update my drivers to the latest within days of the release, and do so by simply running the auto-installer (I haven't done a single so-called "clean install" since installing my OS), and I have had exactly one driver-version-related issue over the past 2 years. (And that one was in a specific nonstandard VR configuration)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom