• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^ I just can't resist the mystery. Ed: I got Megamagic. Something I thought looked cool so it's a win!

With this new internet regulation passing in USA, getting the VPN in the Humble Bundle has a lot more of my interest all of a sudden.

Not only will I buy a game without waiting for a bundle, I'll even pay over 20 for it!

laughing-like-a-king-homer-simpson.gif

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Monooboe, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- MEGA GIVERS ONLY! You must have given away at least 25 games through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Blossom Tales -- MB-000383E464AF2836 - Taken by Rhaknar. 44 entrants total.

t1490807187z1.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Broken Age -- MB-A2E97FFC3CD6C187 - Taken by Professor Lexicovermis
Egyptian Senet -- MB-31AB60BC6EAA7059 - Taken by ctw0e
Endorlight -- MB-AEF0DAE0FEF95755 - Taken by Hakkelus
Kabitis -- MB-991AC382F5422E2F - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Speed Kills -- MB-9E6913404083A959 - Taken by Loptous
Woodle Tree Adventures -- MB-7EAE00709EB41721

Pachimari

I'm sitting here in BPM with my Dual Shock 4 and has started up Rain World. Unfortunately I can't seem to navigate anything as the button presses aren't registered. I went into controller configuration and chose the recommended "Gamepad with camera controls" and applied it. I also went to controller options and the "use steam configuration for non-steam controllers" is already applied.

Anyone knows why I can't control my game with my Dual Shock 4 when in Big Picture Mode?

Looks like Nier is about to break 200,000 sales on PC.

Is this a lot for a Japanese niche game on Steam? Because GAF swears they buy them Japanese games all the time in order to make Japan notice PC but this seems like a low number for all the hype around here.

Battlechili

Banned
Is this a lot for a Japanese niche game on Steam? Because GAF swears they buy them Japanese games all the time in order to make Japan notice PC but this seems like a low number for all the hype around here.
Extremely. 200k is the same amount it sold in Japan on its first week of release on PS4.
I would go so far as to say that this is one of Square's highest selling Japanese titles on PC ever. Automata currently has higher sales than many FF games that have been on Steam for over a year (and also has significantly higher PC sales than I Am Setsuna)

Also if it means anything, while these titles are much, MUCH lower budget, their sales should tell you that niche Japanese games don't always need to sell a lot to be considered a success:
http://inticreates.com/galgun-double-peace-sells-100000-copies/
http://gematsu.com/2017/02/stranger...oming-north-america-digital-title-february-28
And keep in mind that these are TOTAL sales rather than specifically PC sales.

Ascheroth

It's a lot for a 60$ niche release. Like, a lot.
You're looking at more revenue in a single week than any Final Fantasy game on Steam (excluding 14 because MMO) generated over lifetime.

zkylon

zkylewd
so uh

i was coerced into watching some persona 5 videos and now i have to buy a playstation probably

is it easy to buy games off the store even if i'm not in america?

games here cost like 100 usd

so uh

i was coerced into watching some persona 5 videos and now i have to buy a playstation probably

is it easy to buy games off the store even if i'm not in america?

games here cost like 100 usd

PlayStation Store? It's pretty easy. You just need to make a US account and then buy a digital PSN prepaid card off Amazon.

Ascheroth

Yeah, I can totally see that. But is there a data for that?
No exact data, just some cursory glances over SteamSpy numbers combined with some armchair math. Won't be exact because of regional prices, sales, bundles, etc, but it should give a good ballpark estimate:

Nier A: 200k@60$ = 8,4 million $ revenue (again, without regional pricing and not factoring in retail revenue differences)

Some samples for the FF games. All of the following numbers are assuming full-price sales for every single sale, which obviously isn't remotely true, so those will be lower by a good chunk in reality.
FF XIII: 666k@16$ = ~7,5 million $
FF X/X-2: 424k@30$ = ~8,9 million $
FF VII: 1120k@12$ = ~9,4 million $. (I don't actually know if the base price for this was higher in the beginning, so this is likely even more wrong than the others.)

So yeah, even if those numbers aren't accurate in any way, form or shape, it should show that Nier did amazing for SE Japan.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
So, is Nier: Automata way more successful than the first one? Than the Drakengards? What about Platinum's recent offerings, like Transformers and Korra and Revengeance?

I'm mildly baffled by Automata's success to be quite honest. It's gotten way more attention than I ever would have expected given how niche its predecessors are. Am I underestimating how much previous titles have sold, or over-estimating Automata's success?

I'm not quite comprehending what factors are leading to its current popularity. I would have such mixed feelings if 2Bs butt becoming a meme lead to 100k+ bonus sales.

Arulan

I heard Battle Brothers is GOTY material.

It's very good. It's all I played during the weekend.

Every battle I've fought so far has been interesting. Whether it's from different types of enemies, and how even equipment differences can alter your battle tactics, to taking advantage of the terrain. Terrain especially is of utmost importance. The first time I encountered Nachzehrers, and realized how fast they are, I only just managed to rush towards the hill-side and secure it before being swarmed. In another fight, that I thought was going to be an easy time helping the local militia, it turned out that not only were they incredibly under-equipped to deal with the brigands, but I had to cross through the thick sludge of a swamp to reach them. By the time I did, all but two of their numbers lay dead. And it was thanks to two dead tree trunks that gave one of my men the choke-point and time needed for the company to surround the brigands. In another battle, fearing my enemy's better position and archers, I decided to retreat to the tree-line and lure them in.

This game is incredible.

zkylon

zkylewd
PlayStation Store? It's pretty easy. You just need to make a US account and then buy a digital PSN prepaid card off Amazon.
cool

i'll never buy a physical copy then, that's great

So, is Nier: Automata way more successful than the first one? Than the Drakengards? What about Platinum's recent offerings, like Transformers and Korra and Revengeance?

I'm mildly baffled by Automata's success to be quite honest. It's gotten way more attention than I ever would have expected given how niche its predecessors are. Am I underestimating how much previous titles have sold, or over-estimating Automata's success?

I'm not quite comprehending what factors are leading to its current popularity. I would have such mixed feelings if 2Bs butt becoming a meme lead to 100k+ bonus sales.
well it's a good butt

Arminsc

Anyone elses controller getting fucked when playing Origin games whilst Steam is running? Left stick up spans the camera up etc, fine when I close steam

Not with origin, but with Uplay. While playing For Honor with steam open, if I clicked on the left stick to sprint, the game would minimize and open a keyboard on the screen. Got me a while to figure out it was steam doing that :/

Hektor

It's the most successful yoko taro game by far yet. It's also definitely more successful than p* recent games.

I really don't know why it's selling so well but it's great

patapuf

I'm sure 2B's design helped but Nier 1 had a metacritic of 68 while automata is at 89.

The game has been widely praised everywhere.

Also, It's widely sucessful for a yoko taro game. We are still talking about "only" 1 Million copies sold, if that.

Nier is great game, but openworld in this game is such pain in the ass. I hate those chests and doors that "you can't open right now", dead ends like road from pascal's village to forest area, and repetitive sidequests when you need to revisit same areas over and over again. Bugs doesn't help either, when i got
11B's sword
and tried to return to bunker after
crater appearance but before visiting alien ship
, all androids except commander was gone and i couldn't complete quest, same happened when i tried to
find YoRHa's betrayers
but there was no one in sight in marked areas. I really should stop trying to do sidequests and stick with main story, but it's hard for me because i'm always doing sidequests first, especially in openworld games.

No exact data, just some cursory glances over SteamSpy numbers combined with some armchair math. Won't be exact because of regional prices, sales, bundles, etc, but it should give a good ballpark estimate:

Nier A: 200k@60$ = 8,4 million $ revenue (again, without regional pricing and not factoring in retail revenue differences)

Some samples for the FF games. All of the following numbers are assuming full-price sales for every single sale, which obviously isn't remotely true, so those will be lower by a good chunk in reality.
FF XIII: 666k@16$ = ~7,5 million $
FF X/X-2: 424k@30$ = ~8,9 million $
FF VII: 1120k@12$ = ~9,4 million $. (I don't actually know if the base price for this was higher in the beginning, so this is likely even more wrong than the others.)

So yeah, even if those numbers aren't accurate in any way, form or shape, it should show that Nier did amazing for SE Japan.

Yeah, and it's only sold for 200k units so far, at full price. It's exceptional.

It'll be crazy for SE to not attempt similar strategy on PC for their next big game.

Nier is great game, but openworld in this game is such pain in the ass. I hate those chests and doors that "you can't open right now"

Lol, that's like one of the top 5 tropes of JRPGs. I roll my eyes every time I see such chest when playing one.

Oh great, a locked chest/door. So you're telling me that I'll have to revisit this place 40+ hours later? Ok.

Lol, that's like one of the top 5 tropes of JRPGs. I roll my eyes every time I see such chest when playing one.

Oh great, a locked chest/door. So you're telling me that I'll have to revisit this place 40+ hours later? Ok.
Those chests are even more stupid when you find out what finally gets to open them.

Rizzi

Oh right, Nier Automata is a game that I own and enjoy.
I haven't really played anything except Binding of Isaac on the Switch since I bought it. That game is my forever game.

Zanzura

I'd attribute the success of Automata to the following: It started with a great showing at E3 that demonstrated vastly improved gameplay along with a great music track, a demo that IIRC managed to get NieR trending on twitter, which led to a ton of fanart of 2B, then the reviews came in making it Yoko Taro's highest rated game ever. When it comes to word of mouth, it gave credibility to the cult following the previous game had without any of the excuses that were constantly brought up for the original: "oh the gameplay is shit, the graphics are shit, the protagonist is fugly, but that story/music, tho." The argument changed to, "well this game's the full package, no reason to not jump in." Looking back at the trailers, the music alone carries most of them, it's so damn good.

Fuck it, I just went and bought the soundtracks for both Nier Gestalt/Replicant and Automata.

Every battle I've fought so far has been interesting. Whether it's from different types of enemies, and how even equipment differences can alter your battle tactics, to taking advantage of the terrain. Terrain especially is of utmost importance. The first time I encountered Nachzehrers, and realized how fast they are, I only just managed to rush towards the hill-side and secure it before being swarmed. In another fight, that I thought was going to be an easy time helping the local militia, it turned out that not only were they incredibly under-equipped to deal with the brigands, but I had to cross through the thick sludge of a swamp to reach them. By the time I did, all but two of their numbers lay dead. And it was thanks to two dead tree trunks that gave one of my men the choke-point and time needed for the company to surround the brigands. In another battle, fearing my enemy's better position and archers, I decided to retreat to the tree-line and lure them in.

This game is incredible.

I just wish BB used something other than a mutant chess aesthetic. It is my kryptonite.

The last game I recall repulsing me (visually) so much was Binding of Isaac. But it isn't a delicious turn-based roguelike, which now complicates things...

Nier is great game, but openworld in this game is such pain in the ass. I hate those chests and doors that "you can't open right now", dead ends like road from pascal's village to forest area, and repetitive sidequests when you need to revisit same areas over and over again. Bugs doesn't help either, when i got
11B's sword
and tried to return to bunker after
crater appearance but before visiting alien ship
, all androids except commander was gone and i couldn't complete quest, same happened when i tried to
find YoRHa's betrayers
but there was no one in sight in marked areas. I really should stop trying to do sidequests and stick with main story, but it's hard for me because i'm always doing sidequests first, especially in openworld games.
The open world is barren, I wouldn't mind one bit if the levels were linear. Developers should cut down some padding if the players should do multiple play throughs.

Durante

That's a ridiculous view.
The game would have been very successful at 75k initial sales.

At 200k full price, you are talking >8 million USD after the Steam cut.
For a version of the game which almost certainly had an incremental production cost over the already existing versions of less than 200k.
That's a 40x return on investment in 2 weeks after the release.

That's a ridiculous view.
The game would have been very successful at 75k initial sales.

At 200k full price, you are talking >8 million USD after the Steam cut.
For a version of the game which almost certainly had an incremental production cost over the already existing versions of less than 200k.
That's a 40x return on investment in 2 weeks after the release.

Then again, considering the serie and the port cost, 50k would've been decent. 200k is amazing.
I REALLY hope SE is taking not and is about to stop their fuckin delayed releases/no talk about game. And it should also shut that silly "double dippers/console money first" talk:
-These aren't overlapping audiences.
-You don't want to miss marketing hype.
-Good Japanese games on Steam can (and will) sell comparatively to their PS counterpart. May do better or worse depending on cases.

And I really feel like KT missed a huge opportunity with Ni-oh.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I...did not expect Toukiden of all games to have the best rifle reload animations Ive seen in ages.

Or, you know... to have rifles :3

Arthea

This is very unpopular point of view around these parts and it kinda begs for damage control too. Considering Japan is one country and steam is the world, selling almost the same is nothing to brag about. But then again we have to remember situation we are in, on steam only survival, meme and AAA games sell really good, it also attracts more of unserbase interested only in those games. So aside of some very well selling indies, indies also have not that small userbase on steam, an unknown game doing 200K in a week, at 60€ price is good for any game. We also don't know how it sold elsewhere, aside of Japan I mean. As well it could be that steam version sold the best.

I...did not expect Toukiden of all games to have the best rifle reload animations Ive seen in ages.

Or, you know... to have rifles :3

you mean Toukiden 2 I suppose

Wok

This game is incredible.

Good to have confirmation from what I heard in the French news! It is on my watch list now. Too bad I did not know the game was so good when it was still in Early Access! 😘

I just noticed that April 11th is going to be insane:

The Sexy Brutale
Cosmic Star Heroine
Yooka-Laylee
Planescape: Torment

No matter what your preferences are, you can find something you'll like that day. Awesome time to be alive.

For me, April 11 should be sexy.

Arthea

talking about Toukiden 2, it sold almost the same as the first did (15K and I remember Toukiden having the same number first week), it probably will sell more than the first tho, because of good word of mouth, as Kiwami has mixed reviews and 2 has very positive.

Thanks, but I do hope Platinum's "we're listening" message wasn't empty talk.

if it was IF's game, it already would have been patched
just sayin

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
talking about Toukiden 2, it sold almost the same as the first did (15K and I remember Toukiden having the same number first week), it probably will sell more than the first tho, because of good word of mouth, as Kiwami has mixed reviews and 2 has very positive.

Im surprised its that low since its been in the top sellers since it came out.

And yes I meant 2 for the earlier question.

I still have not bought Nioh because I hope it is only a time limited exclusive. After Dark Souls' success it would be stupid to skip PC.

Knowing KT, it'll happen when no one cares anymore and will be lucky to land 60k sales. When it could've been 100 to 200k, maybe even 300k at launch hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom